Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, this is excellent advice. Pick whatever skill it is that needs attention and go somewhere that it can be singled out with no other factors. At any point in your riding career. I still go to a parking lot or empty road and figure out what it takes to break the rear end loose or focus on turning right or whatever.

Seconding this. You have a limited amount of brain power. As you're first learning about riding, you have to think about everything. As you start to get more comfortable, things become automatic without requiring thought. I think the goal is to have all of your control inputs be automatic so that you can use your brain for thinking things like "stop stop stop holy poo poo dear sweet baby jesus stop target fixating on that tree"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

builds character posted:

"stop stop stop holy poo poo dear sweet baby jesus stop target fixating on that tree"

This would be a good thread title for the new rider's thread.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I remember seeing a clip of a motovlogger who had visualizations of their controls. They had throttle, clutch, front and rear brake. I think they might have even had lean angle. I'd like to watch some of it but i have no idea where I saw it other than 'It was on youtube :haw:'

Does anybody know who I'm talking about?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I remember seeing a clip of a motovlogger who had visualizations of their controls. They had throttle, clutch, front and rear brake. I think they might have even had lean angle. I'd like to watch some of it but i have no idea where I saw it other than 'It was on youtube :haw:'

Does anybody know who I'm talking about?

Here you go mate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUFs_pzNDW0

Just do what that guy's doing, pretty simple really.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I finally braved the streets all by my lonesome!

I’m not going to lie, it’s going to take a while to get confidence in traffic, but I felt right at home on the open roads! The only time I felt anxious was getting tail’d by cars out in the boonies on two lane roads.

shifting and cruising rpm are coming fairly easily to me, but definitely need to work on my technique.

All in all not bad. Healthy amount of nervousness and excitement.

The 250 is a noisy fucker though.k

E: oh yeah, what is this “turning off your blinker” that everyone is always talking about?

gently caress if I remembered to do that like.. at all, today.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 31, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Don't worry, turning off your blinker will become a compulsive habit and you will mash the button compulsively regardless of blinker on state every couple minutes soon.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Bought the VanVan and drove it home. I was anxious about getting on the road with only the MSF under my belt, but I actually think I did okay.

Happy with the bike, thanks for the help guys.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Don't worry, turning off your blinker will become a compulsive habit and you will mash the button compulsively regardless of blinker on state every couple minutes soon.

riding down the freeway endlessly alternating between pressing the blinker cancel and kicking up into that intangible next gear

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I got into the habit of looking at the blinker indicator on my FZ because I saw a gopro video, and realized I hit that button 10x as much as I think I do, and I already thought I did it way too much.

Of course the blinker indicator on my Husky broke on literally the first ride, so that's just a mash-fest, sometimes I hold my hand in front of the blinkers to make sure they still work, especially since both fronts have suffered from being smashed off the bike by stumps already.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I seriously thought it was going to be a major obstacle of me passing my full license, to the extent that I was looking at the turn cancelling systems, but after a month or so, it became automatic.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

riding down the freeway endlessly alternating between pressing the blinker cancel and kicking up into that intangible next gear

Oh my god I’m glad it’s normal.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mustache Ride posted:

Bought the VanVan and drove it home. I was anxious about getting on the road with only the MSF under my belt, but I actually think I did okay.

:perfect: :getin: :krad:

Is that seat as comfy as it looks/everyone says it is? (Love that scout btw)

Sagebrush posted:

Story of my life.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mustache Ride posted:

gently caress yeah. Post pics of the Scout too.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I remember that the CB250's shifter gets loose in top gear, so you can casually toe up with no resistance into a blank space in the transmission and suddenly realize that you're in top gear. I was saddened to realize that, like, no other bike I've owned has this quirk.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

I think I'm finally going to be able to pull the trigger and get my first bike this spring. Couple of questions:

1. I'm in western PA, there are a lot of used bikes that are 10-20 years old, but have few miles on them (10k - 20k) because the riding season is relatively short. What should I look for/what should I avoid in terms of quality? I'm not naturally mechanically inclined, but can learn, If I know what to look for. I'm also planning on going through a dealer, since I don't trust myself to get something from some rando on craigslist.

2. Anyone have any experience with the Bell Rogue half helmet? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rogue-helmet

mewse
May 2, 2006

Knight2m posted:

1. I'm in western PA, there are a lot of used bikes that are 10-20 years old, but have few miles on them (10k - 20k) because the riding season is relatively short. What should I look for/what should I avoid in terms of quality? I'm not naturally mechanically inclined, but can learn, If I know what to look for. I'm also planning on going through a dealer, since I don't trust myself to get something from some rando on craigslist.

I was going to say check the inside of the gas tank for rust and check that the motor isn't seized, but if you're going through a dealer the bike should be checked over and mechanically sound already. Anything from one of the big japanese manufacturers should be rock solid, but once you have a bike in mind you can do some googling to get some ideas about parts availability.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Knight2m posted:

2. Anyone have any experience with the Bell Rogue half helmet? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rogue-helmet

Half helmets are not great protection in general. The bell rogue is in addition only DOT approved, which means nothing for several reasons.

You should buy a helmet that fits your head shape and protects you, not one that fits your image.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also unless your image is "colossal dickhead" don't get that helmet. The SS/ninja turtles Shredder look doesn't suit anyone.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Knight2m posted:

I mean, it's your choice, but the chin area is the one that you're most likely to hit.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

pun pundit posted:

You should buy a helmet that fits your head shape and protects you, not one that fits your image.

I have a big head, and cramming it in some full helmets with glasses has been...a challenge. Was looking for a compromise.

What are some suggestions or do they all fit differently and I just have to try them?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Knight2m posted:

I have a big head, and cramming it in some full helmets with glasses has been...a challenge. Was looking for a compromise.

What are some suggestions or do they all fit differently and I just have to try them?

They all fit differently and you just have to try them. There are helmets that fit Jay Leno, you’ll find something. My father in law wears an xxl helmet that I can drat near twist 360 around my head. ADVRider.com is a good source for gear reviews and it’s a forum full of big dudes. Recommendations will probably tend toward the top shelf stuff there, but there’s no more comprehensive collection of reviews online.

Don’t even bother with anything other than a full face helmet and you won’t get any advice otherwise in this thread.

To your first question, what kind of bike are you looking for, or so you have an idea? General starter? Dual sport? Sporty looking street bike?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 1, 2019

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Knight2m posted:

Going to a store with people who will help you out is the best option if you can. I should have done that first, instead I ended up with something that ended up being too big although it felt OK at first.

I have a local store where the sales people don't work on commission and are really knowledgeable and helpful, they'll let you know what to look for and give you time to try on a bunch of different sizes. You can also swap out pads in (almost all?) helmets to help with the fit, I always get the largest size cheek pads because I have a skinny head.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Dude, jumbo head here as well. I can't fit a full face at all. Maybe there's something bigger than 3xl out there? Don't know.

What you want is a modular helmet, where the jaw piece can be lifted up to out the thing on, and then pulled down and clicked into place. Takes just a second.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I mean, it's your choice, but the chin area is the one that you're most likely to hit.

I saw that 3D X-ray of the guy that wiped out on his chin and that sealed the deal with me forever. Good news is I think they look cool and they hide my idiot face.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

To your first question, what kind of bike are you looking for, or so you have an idea? General starter? Dual sport? Sporty looking street bike?

I'm looking at cruisers.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Knight2m posted:

I am exactly in your boat.

I went to a huge brick and mortar store and I tried on every full face XL and XXL and XXXL helmet they had. I found two helmets that fit, with my glasses able to go in. One was more comfortable than the other. I got that one. Finding the right helmet took almost 2 hours.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Spending 2 hours to get a full face that fits comfortably seems like the smallest price to pay and completely worth it when its your loving face on the line.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Carteret posted:

Spending 2 hours to get a full face that fits comfortably seems like the smallest price to pay and completely worth it when its your loving face on the line.

OTOH if you're head is too big for a full face helmet, one crash where you use your face as the shock absorber will correct that problem. Should fit into a full face helmet just fine after that.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Carteret posted:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it is appreciated.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Knight2m posted:

I'm looking at cruisers.

There’s a user on here (Pastor of Muppets?) who just transitioned from a Rebel 250 to new 500 and I believe they had excellent things to say about it. There are also a few who have/do own 650 cc cruisers that could make for good beginners.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On the helmet subject, my Bell is DOT and ECE but not SNELL. Is that normal and fine? I’ve heard DOT alone can be sketch.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Rolo posted:

On the helmet subject, my Bell is DOT and ECE but not SNELL. Is that normal and fine? I’ve heard DOT alone can be sketch.

It's fine as long as it's also ECE. Just don't get anything that is DOT alone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is discussed in the OPs, but the reasoning is that:

- For a helmet to be Snell-certified, the manufacturer has to send a bunch of helmets to Snell to be impact-tested, and if they meet Snell standards, they are allowed to put the Snell sticker on the back.

- For a helmet to be ECE-certified, the manufacturer has to send a bunch of helmets to the ECE to be impact-tested, and if they meet ECE standards, they are allowed to put the ECE sticker on the back.

- For a helmet to be DOT-certified, the manufacturer has to write a letter to the DOT affirming that they think the helmet would meet the DOT standards if tested, and then they are allowed to put the DOT sticker on the back. At a later date the DOT may choose to test some helmets off the shelf, and if they are found to not meet DOT standards, they will be pulled from sale.

All three of the actual testing standards are more or less equivalent. There's plenty of debate about the details -- e.g. a common argument is whether ECE helmets might be better for low-speed crashes while Snell helmets might be superior in high speed collisions -- but the distinction between the standards is small and very much up in the air. The reason you make sure to get Snell or ECE is because then you know the design has actually been tested.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

- For a helmet to be DOT-certified, the manufacturer has to write a letter to the DOT affirming that they think the helmet would meet the DOT standards if tested, and then they are allowed to put the DOT sticker on the back. At a later date the DOT may choose to test some helmets off the shelf, and if they are found to not meet DOT standards, they will be pulled from sale.

seriously? :piss:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Smell vs DOT vs ECE

There’s also the UKs SHARP scheme that tests helmets and gives them ratings. But they’re not regulatory. But they do show how wildly different in protection helmets can be.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A TON Of stuff automatically disqualifies a perfectly safe helmet from SNELL rating too, internal sun visor, modular, etc. Neither my Bell ADV helmet, nor my really nice Shoei are SNELL, but both are very nice, perfectly safe, and have excellent safety features like break-away cheek pads that allow head extraction without twisting the neck, basically SNELL is a racing certification, and isn't always applicable to street riding. The intricacies of which are too complex to blurb about, and you can find discussion of online.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

There’s a user on here (Pastor of Muppets?) who just transitioned from a Rebel 250 to new 500 and I believe they had excellent things to say about it. There are also a few who have/do own 650 cc cruisers that could make for good beginners.

Yup, that was me. If you're looking at cruisers, definitely check out the current gen Rebel 300/500. I actually wasn't aiming to get a cruiser at all but I am short (5'4") and still feel more comfortable with being able to flat foot at a stop at this point in my riding life. I was cross-shopping the CBR500/CB500F with the Rebel 500 which all share the same power plant (although tuned slightly differently) so it ended up just being a matter of ergos.

I love the bike with just a couple of nitpicks:

1. The stock seat sucks. If I ride more than an hour without a break my hips are screaming. (An easy enough fix since there are plenty of aftermarket options now).

2. The suspension is verrrrry soft. Depending on your size, you may find that it's way under-sprung. Doesn't feel unsafe for me, but it does dive like crazy at stops. Haven't decided if/what I'm gonna do about it yet.

E: ignore all of the drawbacks I listed above, just get it because the matte black looks sikk

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 2, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What’s the consensus on recording rides? Not for doing stupid things but for liability in the city and for noting some of the prettier back roads I stumble onto when wandering. I have a GoPro Hero 7 White and I may just find a way to bolt it to myself?

Anyone use the Sena Prism?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I may be buying a Bonneville T100. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rolo posted:

What’s the consensus on recording rides? Not for doing stupid things but for liability in the city and for noting some of the prettier back roads I stumble onto when wandering. I have a GoPro Hero 7 White and I may just find a way to bolt it to myself?

Anyone use the Sena Prism?

I bought a “Sys” brand dashcam from AliExpress last month. It’s a dual 1080p thing designed for motorcycles.

Will post a trip report ... when it arrives.