Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I said come in! posted:

"Don't touch the poop" is something that gets said around here, and it's super accurate right now.

The saying "Never wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty but the pig likes it" applies especially well to idiots and assholes on social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

drat, son

drat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Control Volume posted:

This is a lovely situation and just about everyone in the peanut gallery is going to come out dirty

I make my triumphant return to the Games forum to tell you that this is a really bad take and that you're equating people who believed a victim of awful abuse with people who pathologically defend abusers and weaponize tragedy to hurt vulnerable people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

StratGoatCom posted:

I think I encountered this person on Twitter once; her dream policy toward the ruals could be summed up as 'Reverse Pol Pot', and I exaggerate only so much. :byodood:

Ah, the ol' MovieBob. Basically the people that right-wingers think all liberals are actually do exist and they're as horrible and miserable as you could ever imagine. The internet has every strawman from the fevered human imagination out there somewhere.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, the ol' MovieBob. Basically the people that right-wingers think all liberals are actually do exist and they're as horrible and miserable as you could ever imagine. The internet has every strawman from the fevered human imagination out there somewhere.

I mean hell, some of those people post here. I did a write-up about what it was like to live and work in a town of 17k people and 1k people, respectively, during the election and people got really mad that I tried to defend them as human beings. Turns out, Trump telling people that he's gonna build roads is really appealing to people when they literally don't have paved roads. Kushner came to a local college, even.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

huh, bad post.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Victory Position posted:

huh, bad post.

Look see I told you

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah I was going to bring up Moviebob as an example of that kind of insane twitter eugenics fantasist. It's pretty :stare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey, I've never played NitW and only really following this thread to keep relevant, but wanted to respond to some of the gloom in this thread.

I agree that social media is a mess. There's a lot of stupid poo poo on it. A lot of really dumb and extremely destructive phenomenon that people can be subjected too. I don't even use twitter just because it can get so ugly, on top of a lot of personal problems I have with it.

But something important to remember; the only reason we know about a lot of the awful poo poo going on is because of social media. The power for information to be spread has never been stronger. Yes, that information can be false, but anyone getting information from one source was always at risk of being fed lies. For the first time, a lot of people have the ability to actually seek out different sides to stories. Whether they chose to do so is another matter entirely... but the point is, that option exists for people that never had it now.

There's a lot of ugly in this world. There's a lot of good as well. I won't pretend I know if that good can ultimately overcome the ugly. But we have the ability to actually see this ugliness and not be overtaken by it. Its definitely hard, but its the only way to live a good life. If you feel overwhelmed by this all then just walk away for a bit. Enjoy what you have. Remind yourself of the little things that make your life worthwhile. There's no reason you have to face all the bile out there constantly.

Humans have always had the capacity to be irrational, callous, and cruel. I don't think social media has amplified this; it only gives us the opportunity to be more aware of it. And as social progress has slowly moved forward, a lot of good can be spread through it as well. So don't fall into the hole of thinking that its all wretched and horrible.

I'm not trying to be preachy. I just see a lot of people on SA who are totally forlorn, and I certainly have been one of em. Who hasn't been at some point with how recent years have gone? But doing your best to shift your mentality can do wonders for your mental health.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 1, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I make my triumphant return to the Games forum to tell you that this is a really bad take and that you're equating people who believed a victim of awful abuse with people who pathologically defend abusers and weaponize tragedy to hurt vulnerable people.

Thats not what I was referring to but ok

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yall got people in this thread even saying suicide is the cowards way out but hey, I guess if the other side is worse, thats perfectly fine by you

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Yall got people in this thread even saying suicide is the cowards way out but hey, I guess if the other side is worse, thats perfectly fine by you

gently caress off with this sides poo poo, besides that person already apologised.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Osmosisch posted:

gently caress off with this sides poo poo, besides that person already apologised.

Okay yeah, the one person who is ultimately the source of all this bullshit is dead now anyways, so me attacking other people is just destructive self-gratification at this point. Everything sucks yall, peace

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
What are you trying to do here? Because you're not helping.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Osmosisch posted:

What are you trying to do here? Because you're not helping.

Im agreeing with you, my posts werent helping

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

Fallom posted:

Twitter seems to be a misery factory that promotes Nazis and abusers but people just keep loving using it. Why!?

Saw this today and had a chuckle.

quote:

During an all-hands staff meeting on March 22nd, an employee asked why the company refrains from using its AI to kick white nationalists off the site. After all, Twitter had previously ushered a sweep of bans on accounts pushing Islamic State propaganda. The answer was unsurprising for anyone who’s ever perused Twitter: Content filters created to identify hate speech could potentially result in Republican politicians being banned, an executive explained.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah like anytime a hurricane or natural disaster hits the South you see libs going "well they voted for Trump they deserve this :smug:" or right now with the coal miners strike in Kentucky they do the same poo poo and no wonder Dems lose those (because those people suffering barely vote to begin with because they have more important things to do like feed their families)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

(because those people suffering barely vote to begin with because they have more important things to do like feed their families)

Yeah that’s great but given that they’re actively voting to reject the personhood of my friends, for healthcare policies that are killing my family, and for laws that would have literally imprisoned or executed my wife over a medical need I feel fairly comfortable in not caring much for the plight of the rural voter. Let Democratic leadership figure out how they want to thread the needle of gaining their votes without adopting a monstrous platform.

Night in the Woods was being fairly generous by not placing a confederate flag on every other home in the block

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 1, 2019

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I care a lot about the plight of the rural Democratic voter, and even the plight of the rural non-voter. It’s the rural Trump voters who can go gently caress themselves.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm going to go on a limb here and say that people killing themselves is bad, and it's really sad he was so hosed up in the head and saw no other alternative.
I'll also say that people getting sexually harassed/violated is super bad, regardless of how crazy the dude was. You can't really expect someone to stay silent on this poo poo just because he might be suicidal. I'm pretty sure their aim wasn't for the guy to die.

I'm not sure what my point is, except try to think about this from other perspectives than some perpetual outrage against whatever your least favourite sports team is.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

I care a lot about the plight of the rural Democratic voter, and even the plight of the rural non-voter. It’s the rural Trump voters who can go gently caress themselves.

Yup. In a lot of instances, both positions in that debate seem to be based in the tacit assumption that everyone living in rural areas is a backwoods conservative who of course only voted for the fascists out of economic anxiety, and the dispute is only about whether that 'of course' is to be taken literally or ironically. There's still so little in terms of serious attempts to lay the groundwork for a different sort of rural community-building, and so much resigned acceptance that the people Fallom described are just unchangeably "the voters" who need to be "appealed to".

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Nurge posted:

I'm not sure what my point is, except try to think about this from other perspectives than some perpetual outrage against whatever your least favourite sports team is.

gently caress off with this.

People here have struggled with similar problems and have never resorted to sexual and physical violence. And there is a huge difference between 'hosed up in the head so bad he can't see a way out' and 'hosed up so bad he can't see a way out.'

There is no 'favorite sports team' poo poo in this, and no one argued that someone killing themselves is a net win. We all firmly agreed that it's bad.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Old Boot posted:

gently caress off with this.

People here have struggled with similar problems and have never resorted to sexual and physical violence. And there is a huge difference between 'hosed up in the head so bad he can't see a way out' and 'hosed up so bad he can't see a way out.'

There is no 'favorite sports team' poo poo in this, and no one argued that someone killing themselves is a net win. We all firmly agreed that it's bad.

e: You know what who cares. loving off. Go Tigers or whatever.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 1, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah like anytime a hurricane or natural disaster hits the South you see libs going "well they voted for Trump they deserve this :smug:" or right now with the coal miners strike in Kentucky they do the same poo poo and no wonder Dems lose those (because those people suffering barely vote to begin with because they have more important things to do like feed their families)

On top of the classism Endorph mentioned there's also the weird assumption liberals make that literally everyone in the state is white.

V I'm genuinely not sure which post this is passive aggressive to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is nothing worse than the enlightened centralists who sees bad on both sides so he can be the smug man in the center. Completely free of bias

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carpator Diei posted:

Yup. In a lot of instances, both positions in that debate seem to be based in the tacit assumption that everyone living in rural areas is a backwoods conservative who of course only voted for the fascists out of economic anxiety, and the dispute is only about whether that 'of course' is to be taken literally or ironically. There's still so little in terms of serious attempts to lay the groundwork for a different sort of rural community-building, and so much resigned acceptance that the people Fallom described are just unchangeably "the voters" who need to be "appealed to".

Fallom posted:

Yeah that’s great but given that they’re actively voting to reject the personhood of my friends, for healthcare policies that are killing my family, and for laws that would have literally imprisoned or executed my wife over a medical need I feel fairly comfortable in not caring much for the plight of the rural voter. Let Democratic leadership figure out how they want to thread the needle of gaining their votes without adopting a monstrous platform.

Night in the Woods was being fairly generous by not placing a confederate flag on every other home in the block

Trump did better among rich people than poorer ones, and better in the suburbs than in rural areas. Of course, there's more poor people than rich ones, but poor people are the least likely to vote, so that balances out. And surburbs being more white than rural areas probably has more to do with the second thing, but, well, that's the thing. Rural areas aren't just chortling evil white guys. There's more black people in those areas than in a lot of major cities.

The mob of trump voters in rural areas you're imagining are a myth. Obviously people in rural areas voted for trump, it's not like Hillary won those areas, but they wouldn't have mattered if other well-off, mostly white areas hadn't voted for him, too. The richest county in Florida, with the highest percentage of college graduates, broke 61/35 for Trump, which is more than several poor areas in Florida broke for Trump. The county, Collier, is famous for having a lot of rich white people move to it.

Trump didn't win Virginia, but speaking as someone who lives there, the places that broke the hardest for Trump were the rich areas near the coast.

Why are people constantly spinning their wheels about poor white people and not rich white people? The answer is we hate the poor more. The only reason people aren't flying confederate flags from their mansions is that they don't want to be associated with the poors who also do that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 1, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endorph posted:

Why are people constantly spinning their wheels about poor white people and not rich white people?

This isn't happening. There's plenty of ire for both rural and rich Trump voters, but surprisingly the former group is more relevant in the context of media about small, rural towns. Obviously I know that not all rural voters are vicious bigots, but that only makes me feel even less sympathy for those that are. "Economic anxiety" has been repeatedly proven to not be the greatest factor for why so many rural voters vote for the GOP.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 1, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I assure you there are plenty of people who do spin their wheels solely about broke white people and not rich ones.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

I assure you there are plenty of people who do spin their wheels solely about broke white people and not rich ones.

Absolutely

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endorph posted:

Next time I speak from experience about growing up in a rural, southern town I'll make sure to throw in a few guillotine references to make it extra clear I don't identify as a Wall Street Democrat.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think that something that is important to take from the game, as well as recent events, is that humans are complex creatures. The same individuals who are capable of immense compassion, and of creating incredible art and beauty, are all too often also capable of incredible cruelty and ignorance. And this itself begs a number of questions—to what degree must we attempt to understand and empathize with those who would conduct cruelties upon others? When is redemption possible? Is forgiveness warranted? And how responsible are people for their own circumstances?

Personally, I don't have nearly as much vitriol for rural republican voters, vicious bigots that they may be, than I do for the people telling them to be vicious bigots. If you handed me a gun with 100 bullets and lined me up in front of 100 rural republicans and Tucker Carlson, I'd throw the gun away and beat Tucker Carlson to death with my bare hands, because that is where the true rot and divisiveness is spreading from—not poor people from dying towns and farms that are lucky to have a high school education at best.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was surprised to find out one of the writers grew up around the route 22/Altoona area, because I did as well - and I also look back on my time there with tremendous affinity for the area itself but the people truly are mostly awful with a few pockets of decent folks.

Mostly if you are white you can pass through and be fine. If you're sticking around you'd better be white, christian, and straight.

Which is not to say there aren't also small progressive enclaves in those areas, it just tends to also be in the towns with Colleges or something. It's not all irredeemable but for sure this is a lot of racism and homophobia still running rampant.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Personally, I don't have nearly as much vitriol for rural republican voters, vicious bigots that they may be, than I do for the people telling them to be vicious bigots. If you handed me a gun with 100 bullets and lined me up in front of 100 rural republicans and Tucker Carlson, I'd throw the gun away and beat Tucker Carlson to death with my bare hands

You wouldn't though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was surprised to find out one of the writers grew up around the route 22/Altoona area, because I did as well - and I also look back on my time there with tremendous affinity for the area itself but the people truly are mostly awful with a few pockets of decent folks.

Mostly if you are white you can pass through and be fine. If you're sticking around you'd better be white, christian, and straight.

Which is not to say there aren't also small progressive enclaves in those areas, it just tends to also be in the towns with Colleges or something. It's not all irredeemable but for sure this is a lot of racism and homophobia still running rampant.
Yeah I have lived on 22 most of my life, right on the edge where Allegheny County meets Westmoreland (Monroeville), but yeah you have your college towns like Indiana, though honestly towns like Murrysville are pretty bad because a lot of rich folks moved there for the cheaper taxes, but still accessible to Pittsburgh.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

With all the Trump-voter chat it's probably worth reflecting on the game's ultimate theme of people sacrificing the disadvantaged out of desperation to preserve their way of life.

And probably also that the people doing those sacrifices were primarily middle-class business owners out of some sort of paternalism toward the rest of the town.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like a lot of people's have a really inaccurate understanding of what the mindset of someone who's suicidal actually is

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

I've seen people make this joke more than once, but the original engineer who wrote the AI warned it would do far more than just that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So is there a summary of this stuff with links or screens of the accusations? A lot of the original tweets are deleted and I'd rather not wade through KIA or other lovely gaming sites to try and get a full picture of this with the necessary recipts.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Xelkelvos posted:

So is there a summary of this stuff with links or screens of the accusations? A lot of the original tweets are deleted and I'd rather not wade through KIA or other lovely gaming sites to try and get a full picture of this with the necessary recipts.

Yeah, a ton of stuff is gone now..

The initial allegation: https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/29/20835673/night-in-the-woods-alec-holowka-abuse-zoe-quinn

Update from Scott/Bethany that goes into more detail than their tweets about cutting ties with Alec: https://www.reddit.com/r/NightInTheWoods/comments/cxqjp8/end_of_summer_backer_update/

There were other folks (I think 10 other women came forward?) on twitter who shared their own stories of abuse at the hands of Alec, but I'm not sure how much of that was compiled by journalists before everyone started going dark on twitter.

The death of Alec: https://kotaku.com/night-in-the-woods-designer-alec-holowka-dies-1837783073

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Rex-Goliath posted:

Nailed it. Bad faith trolls show up in every other topic I don't see why this would be any different.

Want to point out that none of these guys had posted in this thread before this. They always do this.

bad day posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

LostRook posted:

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)