Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Honestly something I feel might make the difficulty more interesting with the current systems is to change how doubling works, make it rarer in general, possibly limit it to certain classes as a class feature. When I can't just obliterate one unit per activation things get a lot more intense, though this also relies on me not being doubled on return or my units start blowing up. I don't know if that would be too much of a change from Fire Emblem in the past, but if doubling was limited to like falcon knight and assassin or something, combat would have a lot more tension.

Also someone finally uploaded Shamir vs Catherine on the Beagles route and drat is it intense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8msoXPGbKwU Not that I can blame her after what Catherine did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

Honestly something I feel might make the difficulty more interesting with the current systems is to change how doubling works, make it rarer in general, possibly limit it to certain classes as a class feature. When I can't just obliterate one unit per activation things get a lot more intense, though this also relies on me not being doubled on return or my units start blowing up. I don't know if that would be too much of a change from Fire Emblem in the past, but if doubling was limited to like falcon knight and assassin or something, combat would have a lot more tension.

I'd certainly have more Assassins and Falcon Knights

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Andrast posted:

I'd certainly have more Assassins and Falcon Knights

Yeah I mean it wouldn't work with how free form the current class system is either. :v: I just notice that the difficulty suddenly shoots up if I can't double everything, and when I comfortably can I can sleep walk.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

seconding this
are stat boosters dropped from the Sothis room or something? because even if I plant flowers, I rarely get any.

The Sothis room absolutely can be farmed for stat boosters.
The process is:
1) Save at the "choose what to do" screen (ie before you explore).
2) Explore, and immediately head over to the tomb.
3) Count how many green dots there are (don't pick up any).
4) If there are a good number, say 6-8, then leave the tomb without picking up any and save outside the tomb. If there are not a good number, reload to 1 and repeat until there are a enough
5) Go back to the tomb and gather up the green dots. Note that the chance of stat boosters is relatively small, so even getting 50% of the dots to be stat boosters can take a dozen+ reloads. Anyways, go through all the dots and if you have gotten enough/the right stat boosters, leave the tomb and save. If not, reload to 4, reenter and recollect the dots.

The way this works is that the number of collection points in the tomb is determined once you click explore, but what the green dots are only is determined when you pick up the first green dot of the tomb (so if you pick up one dot and save all the rest will be the same).

Apparently having amiibos helps, but I'm not sure of how exactly. With a Marth, Lucina and Robin amiibo and the above method, I can currently get around 8 green dots in the tomb with regularity, which translates to around 4 stat boosters per Explore session with a little effort, though they're just sitting in my inventory until everyone hits their Master Class and gets whatever base stats come with those.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Eimi posted:

Also someone finally uploaded Shamir vs Catherine on the Beagles route and drat is it intense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8msoXPGbKwU Not that I can blame her after what Catherine did there.

Catherine and Shamir have an A+ Rank where they talk about marrying each other :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eimi posted:

As someone not familiar with Fire Emblem when I first started playing I genuinely thought that the doubling was a feature of certain characters (Felix, Petra) and couldn't work out why it happened sometimes.
It is a weird mechanic because it's definitely what makes the game easy as hell on normal, at least.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Eimi posted:

Perhaps some kind of unique skill that only some characters have that allows for follow-ups. Maybe you could call it something like... 'Chase'?

yet another reason why they have to do an fe4 remake next

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shinji117 posted:

Apparently having amiibos helps, but I'm not sure of how exactly. With a Marth, Lucina and Robin amiibo and the above method, I can currently get around 8 green dots in the tomb with regularity, which translates to around 4 stat boosters per Explore session with a little effort, though they're just sitting in my inventory until everyone hits their Master Class and gets whatever base stats come with those.

I thought you needed Amiibos to enter the Sothis room.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I thought you needed Amiibos to enter the Sothis room.

You can only get there if you have Fire Emblem amiibos, no other way.

Incidentally, talking of weird parts of the monastery what the gently caress is the point of the third floor and why is it locked for so long?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Taear posted:

You can only get there if you have Fire Emblem amiibos, no other way.

Incidentally, talking of weird parts of the monastery what the gently caress is the point of the third floor and why is it locked for so long?

It's Rhea's bedroom and you can't go there until Rhea leaves and it becomes an empty room.

I still don't get why it's there

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's Rhea's bedroom and you can't go there until Rhea leaves and it becomes an empty room.

I still don't get why it's there

Is it a big deal on the church route then?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nope.
It's just Rhea's private area. It's inaccessible just because it makes sense that it would be

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Nope.
It's just Rhea's private area. It's inaccessible just because it makes sense that it would be

I mean....it'd make more sense for it just to not exist. It feels....like it should be important because it's locked off for so long.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Remember the first cutscene reaching Garreg Mach when Rhea is standing out over the balcony and sees you come in? You can stand on that balcony. I have no idea if that's relevant in a cutscene or something

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Gluten Freeman posted:

Perhaps some kind of unique skill that only some characters have that allows for follow-ups. Maybe you could call it something like... 'Chase'?

yet another reason why they have to do an fe4 remake next

it's actually an interesting implementation in FE4 since certain characters have the skill and then certain classes get it by default

so it shakes out in a way that a good chunk of (if not most of) your roster has pursuit, while the ones who don't tend to have something that makes up for it (lex's brave axe, lewyn having adept and forseti and a massive boost to his speed and ability to proc adept, quan having adept, tailtiu having wrath, naoise having critical and adept), and most generic enemy units being in classes that don't have pursuit really saves a lot of your slower units from certain death

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 1, 2019

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

MotU posted:

hey just started playing this since i bought my switch today. real quick Qs: 1) is there any house thats best to go with first, like for story reasons or something, and 2) i know there is something about poaching people from other houses. is it hard to do that or can i grind it out before a point of no return? 3) also who should i dote up as male byleth and why is it the hot teacher

Hilda is basically Charlotte, but written far better. Do with that information as you will.

Also, this is my very informed and sophisticated political analysis of Three Houses:

Edelgard is Huey Long.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I also married the hot teacher, Who is actually closer to my real life age of 31 then literally everyone else in this game despite being the "washed up old person"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I also married the hot teacher, Who is actually closer to my real life age of 31 then literally everyone else in this game despite being the "washed up old person"

I mean 31 is pretty ancient when it comes to JRPG characters.

inthesto posted:

Also, this is my very informed and sophisticated political analysis of Three Houses:

Edelgard is Huey Long.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? No.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also doesn't her being in her 30s mean she started in the opera at like 6 or something? Pretty sure she's older and Hanneman's just exaggerating to be nice and keep kayfabe.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also doesn't her being in her 30s mean she started in the opera at like 6 or something? Pretty sure she's older and Hanneman's just exaggerating to be nice and keep kayfabe.

Dorothea started at like 10

Apparently she's 35 pre timeskip?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah, there's an explicit personal story that opera can take people young. It's more like an academy that takes talent regardless of age, especially in certain circumstances.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Do I actually have to save these dickheads in Hubert's paralogue? Because this looks pretty impossible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

I actually really like the crux of Felix and Dedue's supports namely, that Felix's point is "Dimitri saved your goddamn life so loving value it. Mindlessly throwing your life away for Dimitri isn't what will serve him best."

I REALLY expected some bad poo poo from "Here's Dimitri, and his loyal racial minority manservant Dedue" but Dedue is easily one of my favorites. I shoulda known though, FE actually handles poo poo like this mostly well. Between stuff like "No, being poor and being Duscur are not the same thing" and his side quest and all he's really grown on me and I'm now very torn between going S rank with either him or my beautiful troubled boy Dimitri...

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Why is seminar so bad? The rewards from exploring are way too good, even if you just get a free stat boost item from gardening and cook a speed meal it’s already miles ahead.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 1, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

inthesto posted:

Do I actually have to save these dickheads in Hubert's paralogue? Because this looks pretty impossible.

Over half!

Kiranamos posted:

Why is seminar so bad? The rewards from exploring are way too good, even if you just get a free stat boost item from gardening and cook a speed meal it’s already miles ahead.

It's more for part 2 when you're behind everyone else with your skills and you've got nothing better to do.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I've decided that this game's best critical quote is the generic Swordmaster woman on one of the Defend Garrech Mach maps shouting "GET OUT!" It's said with such verve.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Taear posted:

It's more for part 2 when you're behind everyone else with your skills and you've got nothing better to do.

I’m in part two and it’s still bad. If your skills are behind then explore gives up to 10 training sessions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

I’m in part two and it’s still bad. If your skills are behind then explore gives up to 10 training sessions.

Seminar is faster to do

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ajkalan posted:

I've decided that this game's best critical quote is the generic Swordmaster woman on one of the Defend Garrech Mach maps shouting "GET OUT!" It's said with such verve.

Generics getting critical cut-ins + quotes is more epic than it has any right to be

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ROFL Octopus posted:

Generics getting critical cut-ins + quotes is more epic than it has any right to be

an rear end in a top hat with Bolting crit me and didn't even say anything

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Getting to explore the Holy Tomb in NG+ is weird because it was seemingly programmed without one development hand telling the other they were gonna do it, so the game thinks when you enter the Holy Tomb before you're supposed to be there for story-related reasons, you're actually there at that actual chapter according to the game.

So some support conversations that are one of the very few specific ones that lock off at that point (but also aren't available during the first few months) are consided as having been missed by you and unobtainable. At least when you're in the Holy Tomb. Once you leave the game says you just have to wait to deepen that bond with the character and you can indeed do that as the months pass.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Finally reached part 2, 91 hours in. Dunno how to feel about the timeskip.

It really doesn't gel with all the game mechanics. Like, a single day after i woke up, Dorothea ambushed me on the calendar and said "I'm glad you haven't been looking at me like that lately." Yeah no poo poo. I was gone for years. It's been a single day.
Then, two days after that, Leonie abducts me and says how bad she felt about how angry she got with me last time. I couldn't even remember what happened last time, cause it's been HALF A DECADE. You've been carrying this around with you for five years??

Then i finally reach the first Sunday, take two steps out of my room, and Annette immediately runs up to me and wants to chat. This is gonna be a really long first week...

I was pretty shell-shocked from all the costume changes, too. Not a fan of most of them. Like, what the heck happened to your hair, Bernie? Why are you going for the budget-Lorenz look? Heck, even Lorenz himself wisely ditched that.

And can i just say how disappointing the greenhouse harvest is after 5 straight years of growing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All post-timeskip designs are good :colbert:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Generics in this game are more epic than they have any right to be

Ask Kyle McCarley

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Want a DLC paralogue that reveals Leonie didn't just live as a mercenary but started and then lost her own Big Boss esque-merc group during the timeskip.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Andrast posted:

All post-timeskip designs are good :colbert:

Mercedes's hat sucks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

inthesto posted:

Mercedes's hat sucks.

it's good

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Andrast posted:

it's good

She can't rock a hat like Dorothea does. She was far better with the side pony.

Also, I'm closing in on the end of the BE-E run. I'm only have the BE-C run left, and I'm trying to decide if I should do teachers-only or just recuirt everyone for a huge party.

e: lmao Dorothea with Caspar is trying to pull the if we're not married in 20 years, let's marry each other. She really is the female Sylvain.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The hat's not great but the haircut on its own is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
OTOH, i ended up watching Alois/Mercedes B and then Alois/Shamir B right after another and it worked out to a fabulous bit of inter-support connectivity