Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Private Speech posted:

The problem is you can't do that in the morrowind engine, not that it's a technically difficult issue to solve.

It's far too heavy to graft it with MCP, but you can definitely do that when you're making a new engine, such as OpenMW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Just built a beastly new computer and, naturally, the way to test it is TOMORROWIND. I haven't messed with Morrowind mods in years, is there anything new? Open Morrowind worth messing with yet or is it still at the proof of concept stage?

I'd like to keep the game as close to vanilla as possible, just with improved graphics and minor specific gameplay tweaks (I remember wanting to tweak leveling up so you didn't have to grind endurance skills ridiculously every level to max endurance, think a goon had a good mod for that back in the day?) and the obvious passive cliff racers. I want sharper textures and better shaders, etc, but I think the problem was last time I did some huge graphics overhaul mod (maybe MGE XE from the OP? It's been a while and I don't remember) everything was too different, like it'd all been completely redone from scratch in a new style, and the models and textures didn't look like Morrowind anymore, if that makes sense. Anyone have recommendations on what to try and what to avoid?

Also, I'm assuming Skywind is never actually going to be released, right? :v:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Azuren posted:

last time I did some huge graphics overhaul mod (maybe MGE XE from the OP? It's been a while and I don't remember) everything was too different, like it'd all been completely redone from scratch in a new style, and the models and textures didn't look like Morrowind anymore, if that makes sense.

MGE-XE is the higher resolution and new shaders you're looking for. You're probably thinking of MGSO, which is a pile of flaming garbage.

Check out this mod for enhanced vanilla textures.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Vavrek posted:

MGE-XE is the higher resolution and new shaders you're looking for. You're probably thinking of MGSO, which is a pile of flaming garbage.

Check out this mod for enhanced vanilla textures.

Good call, I think MGSO was it. I remember it changing all the sounds inexplicably and wondering, "WTF?"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kagouti used the noises of duke nukem 3d pig cops

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I've been replaying Witcher 3 lately and noticed that drowners make a noise from geckos in Fallout 2, and basilisks make a noise from cliff racers :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that's nothing, the Morrowind main theme uses the sound of the composer molesting someone

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that's nothing, the Morrowind main theme uses the sound of the composer molesting someone

This is extremely tasteless dude

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

im going to become a game developer and build kagrenacs tools to yeet all game developers out of existence

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Seen any elves? Hahaha
You like to walk a fine line, don't you?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

This is extremely tasteless dude
yeah I was aiming for despair and think I missed the mark, sorry

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No worries, thanks for not doubling down :unsmith:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a point to leveling up Enchanting, other than saving money? Does it let you craft stronger enchanted items?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Elman posted:

Is there a point to leveling up Enchanting, other than saving money? Does it let you craft stronger enchanted items?

Yes, but never close to the level of npc enchanters. Iirc, it makes enchanted items use less charge per hit and/or soul gems restore more charge.

So no, not at all.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Elman posted:

It increases your chance to successfully craft stronger items as well as reduce how much charge you use on an already enchanted item. I think one time I levelled up to 100 enchanting to use a fireball staff with like 1000 charges on it like a 1000 shot magic machine gun since there's no cast animation

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Levelling enchanting does two things for you:

1. It reduces the likelihood of failure when enchanting items. However, the equation is kinda skewed and even with very high enchantment you’ll still be unable to make high capacity items without huffing ash yams and bloat.

2. It reduces the charge cost of each enchantment use. The equation works the other way for you this time around, as the higher enchantment you get the more efficient the charge reduction is. At 110 enchanting all enchantment charges cost 1 Charge.

MCP introduces code tweaks to balance some of the issues arising from the above.

edit: beaten

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its for getting int multipliers on level up

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
AA doesn't seem to work in MGE XE for me. I've tried setting it all the way to x8 and it still shows shagged.
These are my settings:

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 30, 2019

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Is there any in game clues to where you find high end trainers? I've gotten a few vague hints from NPCs about masters of their class and was disappointed when I tracked down the person and they aren't offering training.

If there's nothing in the base game like this, are there any mods in this spirit?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

npcs will tell you where the person with all the dialogue related to a specific class is. not where their master trainer is

if you wanna find master trainers you're gonna have to either a) read all the in-game literature and take extremely close notice of names, or b) look it up. i suggest b).

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What is this about?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Midig posted:

What is this about?

you know that thing you like? the guy who made it is a huge creep and also probably a rapist

it’s 2019 and we now know the above sentence is true of far too many things and it turns out the elder scrolls music is one of them

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Midig posted:

What is this about?
Jeremy Soule is a rapist and says what he does to women directly inspires the music he makes, which makes listening to it just a little uncomfortable

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Been listening to Oblivion/Skyrim/Skyblivion/Skywind music all weekend and now I feel kind of dirty.

https://gyazo.com/347d457840d60a235f44b51a412cc5a5

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

npcs will tell you where the person with all the dialogue related to a specific class is. not where their master trainer is

if you wanna find master trainers you're gonna have to either a) read all the in-game literature and take extremely close notice of names, or b) look it up. i suggest b).

drat. I have been using UESP a bit but didn't want to go ham with it just yet. It's kind of fun to be hunting them down, but also annoying that the game doesn't tell you what a trainer's skill is. I stumbled onto the light armor master trainer but would have not known if I didn't think to look her up on UESP. She was wearing some glass boots which was really unusual, so in hindsight it seemed obvious.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Solarin posted:

drat. I have been using UESP a bit but didn't want to go ham with it just yet. It's kind of fun to be hunting them down, but also annoying that the game doesn't tell you what a trainer's skill is. I stumbled onto the light armor master trainer but would have not known if I didn't think to look her up on UESP. She was wearing some glass boots which was really unusual, so in hindsight it seemed obvious.

You could play for a hundred years and never find the master Enchant trainer, so UESP's gotta come out sooner or later. About two thirds of them are indeed named in in-game books, though.

Enchant trainer spoiler: They are in a Daedric ruin and attack on sight, and you have to either Calm Humanoid or sneak up on them and start dialogue before they see you.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Iirc if you have high enough personality stat NPCs just don't attack you but it has to be a good amount beyond 100

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

fun morrowind fact I learned, many plates/cups textures have bright spots indicating light sources baked into them. During development two devs spent time going through interiors rotating silverware to match the light source in the room.

Despite the game being in heavy crunch mode, somehow they found the time to do something almost no one would notice

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I can totally believe that from a "I have a hundred super complicated and terrifying things to do by Monday so I'm going to spend the next ten hours rotating plates" perspective. Definitely been there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, sometimes you're too exhausted to make any sort of intellectual effort, so you spend your time doing some mindless, repetitive task because this way you can look like you're working while putting your brain on standby.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, sometimes you're too exhausted to make any sort of intellectual effort, so you spend your time doing some mindless, repetitive task because this way you can look like you're working while putting your brain on standby.

...but enough about your posting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Did they go back and rotate things they’d already placed, or just make sure the lightmaps lines up when placing them the first time? While it’s tedious either way, I don’t think it’s much more effort than it already took to hand place 4.2 million forks?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's also exactly the sort of thing I would do if I was on Adderral or something along those lines. The issue isn't that he did it, the issue is that they didn't use it in marketing. "Imagine a world so detailed, the position of the silverware is given careful consideration..." or somethin

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's also exactly the sort of thing I would do if I was on Adderral or something along those lines. The issue isn't that he did it, the issue is that they didn't use it in marketing. "Imagine a world so detailed, the position of the silverware is given careful consideration..." or somethin

lol

If they'd have done that, it would have become a meme and stayed relevant even until now. "Gotta make sure the fuckin forks are turned right" would have become the games industry's "dot the i's and cross the t's" idiom.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Did they go back and rotate things they’d already placed, or just make sure the lightmaps lines up when placing them the first time? While it’s tedious either way, I don’t think it’s much more effort than it already took to hand place 4.2 million forks?

Went back and redid them

Placement of things on tables is already insane due to the low class dunmer table being a loving sloping surface. It was so egregious that TR made a flat equivalent so the devs didnt spend hours doing this. The next time you're in a shack check the wooden tables, theres one that takes a delicate hand and a lot of time to get things flush

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Went back and redid them

Placement of things on tables is already insane due to the low class dunmer table being a loving sloping surface. It was so egregious that TR made a flat equivalent so the devs didnt spend hours doing this. The next time you're in a shack check the wooden tables, theres one that takes a delicate hand and a lot of time to get things flush

Then yea, holy poo poo that's loving bananas. I mean it's super cool, but drat.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
i've been replaying morrowind this past couple weeks thanks to OpenMW running on just about everything and holy smokes this game is good. i haven't touched it since 2011.

the amount of interplay between the various gods and political powers through the main quest is so well done.

also as a dev: i guarantee those two people had gently caress all to do otherwise and just went "ah screw it" because code commits were out of the question unless they were critical. fucks me up that they shipped this game before they had the QA infrastructure they do now though. i'm amazed that it's not a literal smoldering pile.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Just the other day I was thinking about how astounding it is that Morrowind takes place in a time of relative peace and political stability while Skyrim throws you right into a raging civil war, and yet somehow it's Skyrim where the conflict between the province and the empire feels toothless and ill-defined.

Ulfric could rant about elves for a solid hour and it wouldn't reveal half as much about the conflict as an Ebonheart middle manager defending slavery through gritted teeth.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 5, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Chunderstorm posted:

fucks me up that they shipped this game before they had the QA infrastructure they do now though.

aha

ahaahahahahahahhahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

GreatGreen posted:

aha

ahaahahahahahahhahahahaha

my guy i'm former bethesda qa lmao, they have a lot of testers, they just make broken-rear end games that keep getting bigger