Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I’m only half ethnic Québécois, so it’s only half ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ARACHTION posted:

I’m only half ethnic Québécois, so it’s only half ok.

Yeah i'm 50% pure laine / 50% nylon

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reality Sinner posted:

Is there a living former prime minister who isn't a huge piece of poo poo

goddamn this country

How quickly you forget of the Saginaw Handshake.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Shawinigan Handshake.

Also, pepper is something I put on my plate, you know?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
now there was a prime minister unconcerned with nonsense like "optics"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
ah yes who could forget the wonderful time when our prime minister responded to an anti-poverty protester by choking him, what a legend #lad

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Someone edit Chretien into that cartoon about how charming Reagan was despite his misanthropy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ARACHTION posted:

I’m half Québécois and never excuse racism from anyone. I’m pointing out that those who feel oppressed in Québec are the same dumbass boomer fucks who feel that one iota of discomfort on their part is oppression despite being very clearly part of the dominant group.

Through gutting of public education, gutting of services to new immigrants, having an extremely inefficient bureaucracy that requires jumping insane hoops to navigate (even as a French speaker), Québec makes it extremely difficult for immigrants to integrate then shits on them for not doing it exactly the way they find acceptable.

Just because you’ve suffered past discrimination, does not give you a pass forever into the future to the same that was done to you.

You’re absolutely right that the rest of Canada makes itself feel better by favourably comparing itself to Québec, but they were a bad place for immigrants before the CAQ and are quickly getting worse.

Oh yeah, I can't remember a Quebec government that wasn't at least mildly racist. And garbage in so many other ways.

But Jesus the Quebec Anglo media is completely bonkers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does Québec still run their investor citizenship scam?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think any country in the commonwealth basically lets you buy citizenship if you've got enough money to "invest". Speaking of which, I've seen ads and offices popping up around Winnipeg offering help with student visas/super visas, one of the places looks suspiciously similar to that school in BC that offered student visas but didn't actually offer classes.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Quebec as a province is just as hosed as the rest of us. It is a province full of bad politics and racists, much like the ROC.

That said, my wife and her entire family are pur-laine québécois who are either bilingual or speak enough English to get by. They’re nice people who don’t hate the dreaded anglos, don’t want to separate, and aren’t a bunch of racists.

Quebec is a land of contrasts.

Noam Jones
Jul 13, 2019

by Smythe
the way you wrote your post make it seem like not wanting to seperate is a positive thing. this story has proven once again that anti french racism is the norm in the roc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Noam Jones posted:

the way you wrote your post make it seem like not wanting to seperate is a positive thing. this story has proven once again that anti french racism is the norm in the roc

gently caress off quebecker

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Noam Jones posted:

SSB is that you?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:cheers:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Jun 20, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

or using fries salted with cinnamon :barf:

jesus christ. this should end in the hague

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

That might be good actually

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’d try it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That sounds like something a Belgian emigre would sell in Den Haag.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

https://twitter.com/Christine_NDP/status/1166138110125715456

Neat, I think she's going directly against Trudeau for election.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Grassy Narrows

using shredded mozza instead of curds or using fries salted with cinnamon :barf:

did this happen irl? because :wow:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The only good poutine is funnel fry poutine dont@ me

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The only good poutine can be found in neighborhood hockey rink casse croutes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The only good poutine is sold by McDonalds

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

There is no bad poutine, only bad quebecois

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OMG Andrew Scheer has such a punchable voice

I'm not going to make it through the campaign

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i got a scheer commercial during F1 and it ruined my loving day at 8 am

if that stupid dork wins i will lose my loving mind

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Powershift posted:

completely off topic, but do you watch F1 on regular cable or is there a way for me to watch without giving Rogers even more of my money?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

a primate posted:

completely off topic, but do you watch F1 on regular cable or is there a way for me to watch without giving Rogers even more of my money?

I stream on TSN which requires a cable sub if you don't want to pay bell.

there's a motorsports stream reddit that links pirate streams but they usually get shut down a bunch so you have to hop around.

Also, Scheer looks like a tragic time machine accident involving a catholic priest and the child he was molesting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Powershift posted:

we now interrupt your regularly scheduled Rolex ad for a message from Dimples McGee!

I quit watching F1 ages ago for TSN’s whole shrink the action down to a small window while they play an ad in another, with 50% of the screen being a background frame

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

opening week of of the NHL is going to be loving hell

oilers losing 10 in a row with nothing but political ads

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i dont watch that garbage sport

nba is the only progressive choice

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hockey Night In Canada!

Sponsored by HUAWEI

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RBC posted:

i dont watch that garbage sport

nba is the only progressive choice

but then how will i know don cherry's opinions on stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xva-cdBi8E

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I love hockey but holy christ has it turned into a terrible TV experience. I had an NHLTV account for ~5 years so I could only watch american streams but i've lost interest.

The Canadian coverage is so awkwardly .... i don't know somewhere between patriotic and jingoistic. It makes me cringe so hard.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Huawei Night In Canada!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/TheWestBlock/status/1168179046137487362

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://twitter.com/BrandonTozzo/status/1168324979240448001?s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

this dude dumb af agriculture doesnt work that way especially when you paved over all that arable land to build lovely subdivisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

this dude dumb af agriculture doesnt work that way especially when you paved over all that arable land to build lovely subdivisions

While there is more Canada west of Ontario(mild shock!) a warmer climate won't exactly be a net benefit there. The prairie cities' sprawl is loving disgusting, but canada is really loving big.

Southern Alberta/Saskatchewan is already a desert and while most of the biomass that created the good soil in central/northern Alberta formed during the medieval warm period, there was a much smaller population to support. Northern Alberta could be a huge farming center in 200 years but the next 100 are going to be loving rough. It was once believed Fort Vermillion(pop. 727) would be Alberta's capital, with the Peace River region being Alberta's breadbasket, but that was largely before trains replaced river steamers.

That said, there is evidence barley was grown in Greenland in that same period, but that again is 200 years out, and assumes we don't get invaded for our water by India or china once the Himalayas stop feeding the rivers in southeast Asia.

Within the next 50 years, i would imagine the most valuable land in the world could be the clay belt in Ontario/Quebec, and in the peace river region of Alberta/BC. Siberia might have fertile land but I'm not sure they have the robust water cycle to support the same level of agriculture.

On the other hand, these statements are based on acquired knowledge and made in good faith, so are largely irrelevant. Keep having a bunch of kids and breeding large dogs and buying a new truck every 2 years because things will be better than fine, they'll be great!

Powershift has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Sep 2, 2019