Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames

Ostentatious posted:

I don't see why you can't also be massive dicks to the people you're playing with.

practically speaking one tends to run out of people to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

People at the table are real people. NPCs are characters. Other people's PCs are also characters but much like you shouldn't do things to the NPCs that upset the real people at your table, you shouldn't do things to their PCs that upset them IRL (upset here meaning 'I'm not just angry or sad or worried about in-game things, I'm actually angry/sad/worried because of the game and it makes me miserable and I don't want that').

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

If they don't understand that vampires are on some level out for themselves and refuse to target a person you're playing with, even if they are directly impeding a goal of theirs they are playing the wrong tabletop. Vampires are horrible people.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ogresque posted:

practically speaking one tends to run out of people to play with

its possible to have fun with people while everyone is purposely being dicks to eachother at times! it can lead to very funny situations!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
also there's a mechanic to block the mind control!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

There is a material difference between the way one treats a non-playable character that the ST pulled out of their funny voice's motivation creator and the characters that your fellow players have ostensibly have actual care and interest in the way they are shaped into an ongoing story.

The written way the books talk about and put into mechanics the blood bonds that players experience versus the way its treated when creating NPCs with blood bonds to players makes this very bright and clear line between PvE and PvP types of play explicitly textual.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Metapod posted:

its possible to have fun with people while everyone is purposely being dicks to eachother at times! it can lead to very funny situations!
If only we were as wise and cool as you, a superior person who understands things better. Lol. Lmao.

That sort of thing can be fun if everyone's on board for it -- actually on board, too, not "Well, I'm not thrilled, but I don't want to quit the game" or "three months in, this has suddenly popped up because Kyle wants us to kill the Primogen and the rules don't say he can't Dominate me because my character is 13th gen and his is 11th," or similar. But I think the idea that "playing Vampire" is an automatic open consent to full on team kill mind-gently caress party time is weird, and kind of gross.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vampire PvP campaigns are very fun, as long as everyone buys in on it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

ZearothK posted:

Vampire PvP campaigns are very fun, as long as everyone buys in on it.

That's really the key thing: If the other players are into PvP, you're not being a dick to them to play PvP. Any more than it's dickish to play chess across from someone, or whatever.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean, you're the one pushing vampire rohypnol as preferable to direct vampire mind control, which is a bit rich. Majesty is just as coercive as Dominate, it's just less direct. "Mind-controlling you to be my friend" isn't less mind control than "mind-controlling you to do what I say."

E: Plus both are fictional, and as long as the players at the table are having fun, they're good tools in the game. But just on a pretty basic level, I think making that distinction is hilariously besides the point. "It's ok, this coercion looks like being friendly" is basically what those vampires run on - the idea that they're a better class of predator, maybe even morally fine, because they manipulate people rather than commanding them. All of these vampires are bad.

It's fine if you're ok with vampiric mind enslavement, but I try to avoid use of dominate on anyone

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

If only we were as wise and cool as you, a superior person who understands things better. Lol. Lmao.

That sort of thing can be fun if everyone's on board for it -- actually on board, too, not "Well, I'm not thrilled, but I don't want to quit the game" or "three months in, this has suddenly popped up because Kyle wants us to kill the Primogen and the rules don't say he can't Dominate me because my character is 13th gen and his is 11th," or similar. But I think the idea that "playing Vampire" is an automatic open consent to full on team kill mind-gently caress party time is weird, and kind of gross.

There is a middle ground between no dominate on players and always doing dominate on players!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Any time you take agency away from another player's character, they should be okay with it. Most gamers who play vampire are okay with a certain amount of that. But, "it's vampire get used to it" is not a good reason to do that. I get that the fiction of the setting suggests you "should" be allowed to do things that metatextually are probably jerk moves. The real people you play with are more important than verisimilitude.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 1, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The politics of a coterie is different than vampire vs. mortal by definition.

A coterie has a vested interest in keeping each other happy (at varying levels) and even bloodbond by choice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The 1E Ventrue clanbook had the best Dominate advice:

"Once you use Dominate on someone, he's not your friend."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Pretend I've pasted that entire grognards.txt post featuring "non-coercive mind control".

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Any time you take agency away from another player's character, they should be okay with it. Most gamers who play vampire are okay with a certain amount of that. But, "it's vampire get used to it" is not a good reason to do that. I get that the fiction of the setting suggests you "should" be allowed to do things that metatextually are probably jerm moves. The real people you play with are more important than verisimilitude.

have you ever played a game before? not like vampire specifically just a game in general

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
what a narrow idea of games, that one should come prepared for treachery always

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

have you ever played a game before? not like vampire specifically just a game in general

...ye-yes? I realize you're metapod but like what are you getting at here specifically.

All game is contract. The player, generally, agrees that me, the ST, can devise situations they're not prepared for within the boundaries of the contract we've established because some things are ew. Being forced to have your friend across the table make your character walk on all fours because 'he can' is kind of, you know, ew. If the player across the table does not do that but something less ew, it is because he understands the contract.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

There are boundaries and a mature table tries to figure out what they are, while an unprepared table blunders into them until people quietly start hating each other.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

There are boundaries and a mature table tries to figure out what they are, while an unprepared table blunders into them until people quietly start hating each other.

a mature table can handle someone using a mechanic in the game and not be whiny if it goes against them lmao.

oh what i was getting at is that in any game not everything is dictated by how a player wants his/her story to go. if we were to play a game of basketball and you stole the ball from me i cannot just stand there and say hey you can't do that that's not right i would have to improve my ball handling and prevent you from stealing the ball from me. same with vampire if you dont want your vampire to be dominated improve your skills that make it harder for it happen!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Metapod posted:

a mature table can handle someone using a mechanic in the game and not be whiny if it goes against them lmao.

oh what i was getting at is that in any game not everything is dictated by how a player wants his/her story to go. if we were to play a game of basketball and you stole the ball from me i cannot just stand there and say hey you can't do that that's not right i would have to improve my ball handling and prevent you from stealing the ball from me. same with vampire if you dont want your vampire to be dominated improve your skills that make it harder for it happen!

What is the point of a game of vampire, to you? What is the goal you're working towards? In basketball it's pretty simple: The core game-mechanical goal is to put the ball in the basket and prevent the other team from doing it to you. What do you see as the purpose of a player in Vampire, within the mechanics?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

What is the point of a game of vampire, to you? What is the goal you're working towards? In basketball it's pretty simple: The core game-mechanical goal is to put the ball in the basket and prevent the other team from doing it to you. What do you see as the purpose of a player in Vampire, within the mechanics?

to be the vampire. the goal is to roleplay your vampire's desires, ambitions, and convictions while doing the ever evolving story the ST creates. the purpose of the player is to play a character and to use the mechanics in the way he/she believes their vampire would.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
This isn't just a Vampire thing; using Enchantment spells in Dungeons & Dragons, weirdass exsurgent viruses in Eclipse Phase, and other "I take over your PC and make them do stuff for extended periods" is basically similar to PC death/KO in the sense that the player at the table becomes unresponsive for a duration of play. Long-term effects are more problematic in the sense that they can last for longer than a typical fight or scene.

As a result, the typical Player vs Player problems, compounded with using such an effect on fellow players, runs the risk of kicking a player out of the game for a time. And given how infrequently groups meet (once a week at most) it may not feel very elating to sit around for 30 minutes to an hour watching everyone else play the game.

Dominate and mind-control Disciciplines are technically legal within the confines of the game and genre, but require some group input ahead of time to avoid ruffling feathers. Much like if someone wanted to play a Gargoyle, Baali, or Ravnos PC (the first being a walking Masquerade violation with a rather limited powerset, the latter two due to their clan reputations for edgelordiness and racism).

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 1, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Metapod posted:

to be the vampire. the goal is to roleplay your vampire's desires, ambitions, and convictions while doing the ever evolving story the ST creates. the purpose of the player is to play a character and to use the mechanics in the way he/she believes their vampire would.

Well, that's a method. Why are you playing a vampire? How do you know you've played a vampire well? Is it to create a good story that you enjoy being part of, and is that more important than being a successful vampire within the fiction? Put another way: Would you ever have a character do something you OOC know is really stupid and is going to screw them over, because it's what they would do and would make for a good story?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Joe Slowboat posted:

Put another way: Would you ever have a character do something you OOC know is really stupid and is going to screw them over, because it's what they would do and would make for a good story?

I mean, that's the most entertaining way to play unless it's a no holds barred competitive/dungeon crawl game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

Okay.

But the meta context here is, "I play to have fun." You get together with friends, maybe once a month or less for some people, and you all agree that pretending to be a vampire is fun, so having fun and pretending to be a vampire are the two basic "goals".

Pretending to be a vampire, firstly, is much more nebulous than the rules of basketball. "My character would do this" is a notion that completely removes the conscious decision making that is definately happening from the situation.

Would you allow a weird mind control fetishist to use your game for fap fodder and if not (I suspect not), why, if it were in-character? Would you bar that character from play in the first place?

Edit: somebody post the piss wizard comic thanks.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 1, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

ZearothK posted:

I mean, that's the most entertaining way to play unless it's a no holds barred competitive/dungeon crawl game.

I certainly do think that taking that position is much more fun and more aware of what you actually get out of TTRPGs, I was just trying to ask my way there to illustrate the failure of communication here.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Would you allow a weird mind control fetishist to use your game for fap fodder and if not (I suspect not), why, if it were in-character? Would you bar that character from play in the first place?

What is this insane extreme example you keep pushing. There's like miles of difference between no dominate use and this

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

What is this insane extreme example you keep pushing. There's like miles of difference between no dominate use and this

I never said "no dominate use".

I said "other players have to be comfortable with it."

That's all. If you have PVP Dominate use, both people should be okay with it. I'm using an extreme example to illustrate that whether you've made them explicit or not, your table already has boundaries. I'm advocating going one step further and asking what those boundaries are before play begins.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Put another way: Would you ever have a character do something you OOC know is really stupid and is going to screw them over, because it's what they would do and would make for a good story?

If you're not doing this then its metagaming

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

No one in here actually plays the games so it's hard to talk in anything but extremes that would never come up in an actual game

Also stop dominating people you monster

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I never said "no dominate use".

I said "other players have to be comfortable with it."

That's all. If you have PVP Dominate use, both people should be okay with it. I'm using an extreme example to illustrate that whether you've made them explicit or not, your table already has boundaries. I'm advocating going one step further and asking what those boundaries are before play begins.

if a player is not comfortable with a mechanic in the game that's pretty big for a lot of clans then it is probably the wrong game for them. AND THATS OKAY!!! no game is for everyone.

Oberst posted:

No one in here actually plays the games so it's hard to talk in anything but extremes that would never come up in an actual game

Also stop dominating people you monster

*using mesmerize* you love dominate and you will dominate someone in this thread!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

if a player is not comfortable with a mechanic in the game that's pretty big for a lot of clans then it is probably the wrong game for them. AND THATS OKAY!!! no game is for everyone.

*using mesmerize* you love dominate and you will dominate someone in this thread!

You're shifting goalposts. You agree that the extreme example is ludicrous, but then jump to the conclusion that such players just aren't cool with Dominate 100% of the time.

Also not all Vampire games need to be okay with PvP.

You seem to have it in your head there's only one way to play Vampire.

Edit: I'm feeling magnanimous, so let me give you an example.

I ran a game about a year ago for friends. One of the characters was a Ventrue who specialized in Dominate. She got into a pretty vicious argument with the group's Mekhet. They had all agreed that PvP was off the table but they both liked the idea of the Ventrue Dominating the Melkhet into leaving the room, and it was good and fun. She literally said, "is this okay" and he said "sure".

That's literally all I'm asking for here, is this a bridge too loving far?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 1, 2019

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Are the players of characters that get Forgetful Minded by the other people at the table going to have a running journal of scenes they don't remember and what they had those memories replaced with to prevent information bleed? Because if we're going to pretend the table is a ball court with points and rules, it does have real mechanics to account for.

Of course, the better answer to playing with Dominate being used is to self-police a social contract between the players, because that's been the secret requirement of these powers anyway.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Oberst posted:

If you're not doing this then its metagaming

Why is metagaming bad? Like, what is it that the game does that you find valuable, that metagaming harms?

Personally I think metagaming is a tool, sometimes useful, sometimes unhelpful. My favorite metagaming is players intentionally having characters make bad decisions or take risks they wouldn't necessarily do if they acted 'rationally' because the player sees it will make for a better story. Still metagaming, but it's a positive.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Why is metagaming bad? Like, what is it that the game does that you find valuable, that metagaming harms?

Personally I think metagaming is a tool, sometimes useful, sometimes unhelpful. My favorite metagaming is players intentionally having characters make bad decisions or take risks they wouldn't necessarily do if they acted 'rationally' because the player sees it will make for a better story. Still metagaming, but it's a positive.

It's fine man, if you like to dominate people and metagame, then thats ok. You do you

But I wouldn't consider either of those to be appropriate at my table

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I don't know why I bothered.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Can y’all at least stop quoting the lovely posters when you respond to them

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Or just not respond to them at all? That'd be swell.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

Can y’all at least stop quoting the lovely posters when you respond to them

I genuinely thought there could be a conversation here about what people get out of playing cutthroat Vampire, and how to make it enjoyable for everyone, which was... wildly optimistic, apparently. (After an initial not-useful-at-all response, I admit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Joe Slowboat posted:

I genuinely thought there could be a conversation here about what people get out of playing cutthroat Vampire, and how to make it enjoyable for everyone, which was... wildly optimistic, apparently. (After an initial not-useful-at-all response, I admit).

For good faith posters, sure. But the people you're arguing with are not that. Pop them on ignore and go into the pros and cons of pvp Chronicles with normal posters.