Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Red Bones posted:

I was at a bar with an Icelandic friend and we used it to look up how distantly he was related to Bjork. It would work with other famous icelandic people too but we couldn't think of any.

Yeah the Patronymic surname system isn't actually helping on this matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The partonymic system is like it was designed for getting freaky with your cousins and weird uncles. Considering my first cousins, siblings and half-siblings, the four surnames we all share would be replaced with variations of something like Olofsson, Olofsdottir, Sigirsson, Sigirsdottir, Tovolsdottir, Sejarsson, Sejarsdottir, Haradlsson, Haraldsdottir, Adolsson, Petersdottir, Mijirsson, Sejesson, Sejensdottir, Pafelsson, Arttursdottir and Piijasdottir based on who they prefer and if the parents are still married.

Just hope that you actually *know* all your first cousins and half-siblings by the look.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Me and Björk are both descendants of Guðmundur Stefánsson (1706-1782) and his wife Guðríður Brynjólfsdóttir (1700-1792).

Not related beyond that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guess it's safe for you to gently caress her then.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah the Patronymic surname system isn't actually helping on this matter.

inherited surnames are a feudalist-mercantilist invention.

it used to be that people had one given name, and if necessary, one or more bynames depending on context. say in your home village, you'd be william johnson, but over in the next village youre william woods cause it's closer to the woods. or perhaps you were just william or will your entire life without needing another name.

nobles and burgers and other rich assholes needed to be able to vouch for their holdings and what not, and one of the ways to do that was by introducing inherited surnames. now a person could be known to be the great grandson of whomever without assembling the Þing and reciting generations of ancestors. it was generally enough to say that he was known by general agreement to be of that family. naturally it could be disputed if necessary.

the common folk never had a problem until taxes started being a regular thing. but now they needed to be looked into, their movements controlled more closely, what not. so we had surnames forced down upon us, usually just a petrified version of some random byname, often a patronym.

now a whole bunch of people are stuck with this half-assed bullshit like being named Johnson but not being a son of John, and people named Smith who are not smiths, just because capital wanted to make rentseeking easier (make no mistake, 90+% of taxes in recent history have been levied by private individuals, only for a fraction to then be paid on to the soverign, not that they deserved it more).

(in the west, that is; i cant speak to other parts of the world)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Aug 30, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

it used to be that people had one given name, and if necessary, one or more bynames depending on context. say in your home village, you'd be william johnson, but over in the next village youre william woods cause it's closer to the woods. or perhaps you were just william or will your entire life without needing another name.

nobles and burgers and other rich assholes needed to be able to vouch for their holdings and what not, and one of the ways to do that was by introducing inherited surnames. now a person could be known to be the great grandson of whomever without assembling the Þing and reciting generations of ancestors. it was generally enough to say that he was known by general agreement to be of that family. naturally it could be disputed if necessary.

the common folk never had a problem until taxes started being a regular thing. but now they needed to be looked into, their movements controlled more closely, what not. so we had surnames forced down upon us, usually just a petrified version of some random byname, often a patronym.

now a whole bunch of people are stuck with this half-assed bullshit like being named Johnson but not being a son of John, and people named Smith who are not smiths, just because capital wanted to make rentseeking easier (make no mistake, 90+% of taxes in recent history have been levied by private individuals, only for a fraction to then be paid on to the soverign, not that they deserved it more).

Yeah, I know this by firsthand, actually. My surname follows the normal Finnish convention of <something>-nen usually meaning "person of the riverside" Jokinen or "person who owned a farm with an ox" Härkönen and so on and so on, the most populars being "person living in a hill" Mäkinen or that "person of the riverside". Except that my surname is "person whose ancestor used to live in the noble estate X". And yes I have investigated this and I am not related to the "noble family of X". In fact, none of my surname are, they are more likely "people who left the servitude of X".

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, I know this by firsthand, actually. My surname follows the normal Finnish convention of <something>-nen usually meaning "person of the riverside" Jokinen or "person who owned a farm with an ox" Härkönen and so on and so on, the most populars being "person living in a hill" Mäkinen or that "person of the riverside". Except that my surname is "person whose ancestor used to live in the noble estate X". And yes I have investigated this and I am not related to the "noble family of X". In fact, none of my surname are, they are more likely "people who left the servitude of X".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yup. This was also discussed in the Dune thread some years ago. So they have an ox and Sting, as it seems, so what.

EDIT: So this is purely a speculation but someone migrating to US or Canada might americanize their name from Härkonen to Harkone, since it is easier to say for the locals. Atreidas, unfortunately does not mean anything in Finnish, but if you need to grasp the straws, "atrain" is Finnish for the trident and fishermen tool you use to catch stuff.

see https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrain

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Aug 30, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw the man whose first name is the stem of my patronymic hanged himself from his workbench in 1879 (my lovely translation of his widow's statement):

quote:

By request and sworn to Truth, she explained that her deceased Husband stood up this Morning about 4:15 and that she began making Coffee while her Husband went to his Workshop to sharpen a Scissor, that had been delivered for Sharpening, wherewith the Deceased so did. When the Deceased went to sharpen the Scissor, she said that it might be best if she cut Food [=prepare breakfast], but thereto the Deceased answered that it could wait some.

When the Coffee was finished, she went to the Workshop and called her Husband and they went together to the main House where the Deceased drank Coffee. When he had drank this, the Deceased said that he needed to go to the Workshop and do something about his one Shoe, which he brought with him (Police Assistant Hein was sent to the Workshop and returned with a Shoe that bore clear Signs of the Backpart having been taken off and it had not been used on the Ground) and added that she could cut food. She then cut Food and when she thought it was Time for her Husband to go to Work (it was about 5:30) she went to the Workshop and then found that her Husband had hanged himself from the Workbench.

He sat along the floor with the Legs stetched out in front and his Back against the Bench with the Head resting against the Workbench. She promptly grabbed a Knife from the Bench and cut him from the Noose and laid him on the Floor, whereafter she ran to her Neighbor Master Carpenter Peter Andresen, and the latter arrived with his Son Apprentice Mason Emil Andresen; Peter Andresen also fetched Bathhouseowner Jensen. The Clothes of the Deceased were loosened, likewise his Neckerchief was cut off and the Deceasaed was warm still. He was then brought to his and her Living Room and laid in Bed without further being done to him other than his Clothes being taken off, whereafter the Wife of Mason Andresen went into Town after a Doctor; whereafter Doctor Schiødt came about 7-7:30.

[The Widow] assumes that her Husband, after drinking Coffee, was only a half Score Minutes in the Workshop before she found him hanged. She assumes that her Husband's Motive was Monetary Worries. He, who was 65 Years old, had for some Years worked for Carpenter Hansen in Roskilde but when the latter closed his business he could no longer work there, and because he was old he did not take further Employ, but worked for himself. In the last 10 Days, the Deceased has worked for Consul Schram in Roskilde, and when the Deceased came home Yesterday Evening, he complained, what he had done for some time, about being tired and flat, and this Morning he said that he "probably could not go further" which she understood to mean that he would not go to Work in Roskilde Today.

That is the only Reason that she can think of, though she cannot really grant its Validity, as she and her Husband had little work, they had no Debt in their House and some Money in the Bank, and their Children would also help them as best they could.

This Statement read and approved, with the Addition that she and her Husband had always lived well together. Dismissed.

The suicide was ruled as being done under a psychological imbalance, so he was allowed to be burried in the christian cemetery (intentional suicide was a mortal sin).

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Aug 30, 2019

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Krankenstyle posted:

(in the west, that is; i cant speak to other parts of the world)

The reason there's a small number of very widely-held surnames in South Korea (Li, Park, Kim, etc) is related to this. Historically, only the nobility had surnames and it was a signifier that you were a member of an extended family/clan that came with the associated political and economic advantages of belonging to that family network. Surnames start appearing around 600Ad, and then after that occasionally when people came into money, they would buy the right to use an existing clan surname to get that clan access, no marrying in required. Whenever the nobility came into financial difficulties, selling surnames was a way to make money, so there's a big uptick of some names after events like the Japanese invasions of Korea in the 16th century. Surnames finally became mandatory for everyone after 1909, during Japanese rule, and the most recent super-influential clan were the Kims in the 1800s, which is presumably why that's such a widely held name today.

This is all from a good book, Korea: The Impossible Country by Daniel Tudor. I bought it because I realised I didn't know anything about Korea, and it's a very readable 300-page overview of South Korea up to the present.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of surnames. The ashkenazic jews of Germany or Eastern Europe used hebrew patronymic names instead of permanent names until 1787, when five years after the Edict of Tolerance the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II issued a decree called Das Patent über die Judennamen. The edict was supposed to make life easier for jews like abolishing gold stars they had to wear and a tax that was only levied on the jews and cattle. But the decree said that they had to adopt permanent family names and only speak the national language of the country.

In Norway people usually named themselves after the farm they lived on and changed their surnames if they moved. Permanent surnames didn't became common before around 1900. Around 70% of norwegian surnames (like my own surname) is the names of the farm where their families originally came from.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Aug 30, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Red Bones posted:

The reason there's a small number of very widely-held surnames in South Korea (Li, Park, Kim, etc) is related to this. Historically, only the nobility had surnames and it was a signifier that you were a member of an extended family/clan that came with the associated political and economic advantages of belonging to that family network. Surnames start appearing around 600Ad, and then after that occasionally when people came into money, they would buy the right to use an existing clan surname to get that clan access, no marrying in required. Whenever the nobility came into financial difficulties, selling surnames was a way to make money, so there's a big uptick of some names after events like the Japanese invasions of Korea in the 16th century. Surnames finally became mandatory for everyone after 1909, during Japanese rule, and the most recent super-influential clan were the Kims in the 1800s, which is presumably why that's such a widely held name today.

This is all from a good book, Korea: The Impossible Country by Daniel Tudor. I bought it because I realised I didn't know anything about Korea, and it's a very readable 300-page overview of South Korea up to the present.

thanks! i always wondered why there were so relatively few korean surnames

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of surnames. The ashkenazic jews of Germany or Eastern Europe used hebrew patronymic names instead of permanent names until 1787, when five years after the Edict of Tolerance the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II issued a decree called Das Patent über die Judennamen. The edict was supposed to make life easier for jews like abolishing gold stars they had to wear and a tax that was only levied on the jews and cattle. But the decree said that they had to adopt permanent family names and only speak the national language of the country.

In Norway people usually named themselves after the farm they lived on and changed their surnames if they moved. Permanent surnames didn't became common before around 1900. Around 70% of norwegian surnames (like my own surname) is the names of the farm where their families originally came from.

The danish cutoff is 1828 (edict saying everyone must have the same surname as their father). the intention was actually for the proliferation of surnames, but the law was badly worded & priests put down the father's surname (until then, the baptism registers only have the given name, and then the parents given + whatever bynames are needed), so 50% of denmark ended up with one of 4-5 names. They immediately realized that they hosed up, but only in 1905 did they figure out how to fix it, slightly. Gradually, it's beome possible to allow taking any surname that was used in your family for X generations for a modest fee.

Jensen & Hansen are the two most common, like one third of every Dane. Jensen's finally dipped below plurality after some 115 years of correctional laws.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They never asked you to take a seat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: So this is purely a speculation but someone migrating to US or Canada might americanize their name from Härkonen to Harkone, since it is easier to say for the locals. Atreidas, unfortunately does not mean anything in Finnish, but if you need to grasp the straws, "atrain" is Finnish for the trident and fishermen tool you use to catch stuff.

see https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrain

I believe that's because Atriedes is from Greece; i.e. ancestors of Atreus.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Alhazred posted:

Another big chunk of norwegian surnames are patronyms that got turned into family names, like Andersen, Jonsen and so on. (look for the -sen ending) My surname is one of these.

One disturbingly common name is "Ødegaard" meaning "desolate farm" signifying that sombody had taken over a farm that had been abandoned, normally due to the plague killing everybody on it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Arban posted:

Another big chunk of norwegian surnames are patronyms that got turned into family names, like Andersen, Jonsen and so on. (look for the -sen ending) My surname is one of these.

One disturbingly common name is "Ødegaard" meaning "desolate farm" signifying that sombody had taken over a farm that had been abandoned, normally due to the plague killing everybody on it.

Man, my Norwegian ancestors didn't even bother with that. We're just CommonnameSon and it's boooooorrring.

My grandma's paternal surname was Craps, so I guess it could be much much worse.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Question for Icelandic people: What happens if there is a case of father unknown? Are matronyms a thing in such cases? And how much stigma would there be to have a surname that screams "My mum didn't know who made her pregnant!"?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

Question for Icelandic people: What happens if there is a case of father unknown? Are matronyms a thing in such cases? And how much stigma would there be to have a surname that screams "My mum didn't know who made her pregnant!"?

Family names generally aren't used in polite conversation but they do exist.

My mother and her sister were adopted, she didn't know her family name until she tracked down her father years later and he told it to her shortly before he died. Part of how she knew how to track down her father is she retained her patronym through the adoption process.

My cousin is gay and she decided to travel to Norway and get pregnant with an anonymous donor, she ended up using the old family name for her son.

I ended up being the result of her marrying her adopted aunt's son, and I grew up thinking that everyone's grandmothers were sisters.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BattyKiara posted:

Thats when they throw you in the volcano.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Samovar posted:

I believe that's because Atriedes is from Greece; i.e. ancestors of Atreus.

This is correct; one of the characters (Leto II in Children of Dune, IIRC) explicitly recalls Atreus in his genetic memory.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I ended up being the result of her marrying her adopted aunt's son, and I grew up thinking that everyone's grandmothers were sisters.

I don't really mean to mock, I just can't quite parse it all.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Vietnamese surnames are the absolute best. There are only 100 to choose from (and choose you must if you want to get a Vietnamese passport.)

Nguyen is the most popular surname, used by around 40% of the population here, followed by Tran (Chan) and Le at around 10% each.

Lac Long Quan was the dragon lord of the ocean, and Au Co was the fairy queen of the mountains. They hooked up and Au Co gave birth to an egg sac with 100 eggs. After a while they figured out that the Mountain Queen and the Ocean lord should not be a couple, so he took 50 kids to the coast and she took 50 kids to the countryside, this is where the 100 surnames originated.

Today every city in Vietnam has a Lac Long Quan street and an Au Co street that meet somewhere in the city which is cool af.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If a Norwegian surname is rare enough you have to ask each one with that name if its okay for you to take it.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Alhazred posted:

If a Norwegian surname is rare enough you have to ask each one with that name if its okay for you to take it.

Good thing I don't want to be a 'von Munthe af Morgenstiærne'.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FiftyFour posted:

Vietnamese surnames are the absolute best. There are only 100 to choose from (and choose you must if you want to get a Vietnamese passport.).

incidentally when some of the parents of my friends moved to canada, they took the opportunity to invent new last names for themselves

must've felt nice

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hard counter posted:

incidentally when some of the parents of my friends moved to canada, they took the opportunity to invent new last names for themselves

must've felt nice

I’d always wondered about the origins of the Beaversnow family.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

hard counter posted:

must've felt nice

My parents were prescient enough to rename me with an American-friendly name when we moved here instead of sending me to kindergarten as Hrafn.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wtf hrafn is badass

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I retained it as my middle name and in 30 years haven't encountered an English speaker who can pronounce it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I retained it as my middle name and in 30 years haven't encountered an English speaker who can pronounce it.
My name is difficult for people who has norwegian as their first language to pronounce, let alone those with norwegian as their second language.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I try to practice saying it every once in awhile so I don't lose the pronunciation myself.

I speak English unaccented, but my Spanish still has a thick Icelandic accent.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My parents were prescient enough to rename me with an American-friendly name when we moved here instead of sending me to kindergarten as Hrafn.

I've been working in a kindergarten for a long time and that is not even in the top ten of the"difficult name to pronounce" list.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

same here except it wasn't so much as prescience as it was my brother being the guinea pig going through kindergarten with a supremely english-unfriendly name - i ended up with something super easy thanks to him

too bad my parents couldn't do anything about my english-unfriendly surname but i guess you gotta take the loss somewhere \_(ツ)_/

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

hard counter posted:

too bad my parents couldn't do anything about my english-unfriendly surname but i guess you gotta take the loss somewhere \_(ツ)_/

My wife dealt with something similar to that. When her family moved to the States from Lebanon in the 40s a few letters of their name were not typed on the immigration documents, making an otherwise easy name into a jumble of consonants.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a last name that has Germanic roots but was thoroughly Anglicized and people still can't pronounce it properly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alhazred posted:

In Finland you have to do that even if it's a very common surname (unless your spouse/adoption parent/ancestor within 5 generations has it).

At least taking a completely new name is relatively simple.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kennel posted:

In Finland you have to do that even if it's a very common surname (unless your spouse/adoption parent/ancestor within 5 generations has it).

At least taking a completely new name is relatively simple.

if there's trouble i don't see why people don't just add a number to the end of the name, i mean it works with email addresses that are already taken

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My name is John, John R0g3r5

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a really interesting article about the 1973 Walpole Prison uprising, where prison guards said gently caress it and went on strike, and when the prisoners were left alone to run the prison, everything actually went super well.

quote:

Guards issued a strike ultimatum on March 14, when they demanded Boone’s immediate removal. Those that reported to work complained about the presence of civilian observers. They resented that individuals could monitor job performance and report violations of prison regulations, and felt ganged up on by the presence of formerly incarcerated individuals. On March 15, eleven prisoners were released from 10 Block and entered the general population, and two hundred guards walked out of Walpole in an official guard strike. Guards that were normally present at all times in corridors left their positions entirely unattended. The guards’ union continued to demand that Boone leave. Boone responded by suspending 150 of them for five days without pay.

The 15th marked the official start of the prisoners’ campaign, because when the opportunity presented itself to takeover Walpole, concrete goals became to exercise self-determination within the prison, and to demonstrate to the media and the public that the prison itself was unnecessary. These goals differed from the earlier goals of Perelle’s resignation and the arrival of outside observers, and were more radical than the NPRA’s supposed framework of worker’s rights.

quote:

The inmates developed a high degree of organization. According to one observer: “When we visited Walpole, the prisoners had ended their work strike. The guards were still out. And we found a complex society at work, a society that puts out official state documents, records and printed forms, building materials, light handicrafts, license plates and 18,000 meals a day for its population…it has its workers, its employers, its organizations, its cooks, craftsmen, educators, even its artists.”

quote:

From March 15 to May 18, the NPRA both functioned as the elected representative of the prisoners at Walpole, and was responsible for running nearly the entire institution. Prisoners ran a school, conflict resolution, and counseling, and demonstrated the inadequacy of the traditional ‘correctional’ workforce. During the whole time of the non-violent takeover, not a single outbreak of murder or rape occurred.

https://libcom.org/history/1973-prisoners-take-control-walpole-prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a last name that has Germanic roots but was thoroughly Anglicized and people still can't pronounce it properly.

:same: