Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ineffiable posted:

So re: yakuza 3 talk:

Finally starting yakuza 3 with the long weekend.

So is this me or does yakuza 3 have one of the longest openings in the entire series? Especially when getting up to the point where you actually have some freedom to do things.

Due to the chill tone of the opening, I was so unprepared for the Yakuza-style level of many mooks followed by a reasonably challenging boss. Now I buy health items near the start of every new Yakuza game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, so, when the series was first coming out, this was obviously the first one available on the PS3. Yakuza 1 and 2 were PS2 exclusives. So for a lot of people, this was their first taste of the Yakuza games, and after hearing all sorts of word of mouth about these badass crime game beat-em-ups, and....well, you can see how people were a little put off at first.

Personally, I love the slow burn, but that's entirely because I was already in love with the series and I found the new situation Kiryu found himself in to be FASCINATING, but for new players expecting intense over the top action....yeah, not so much.

3 and 4 are the last ones for me to play. The opening section of 3 is making me very sad, knowing that this is the life Kiryu wants, and comparing that to how he ends up.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

3 absolutely had a slow burn opening that’s meant to get you acquainted and attached to the orphanage and Kiryu’s new life. Don’t worry, the plot picks up in typical Yakuza fashion. It’s a great entry in the series.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

man nurse posted:

3 absolutely had a slow burn opening that’s meant to get you acquainted and attached to the orphanage and Kiryu’s new life. Don’t worry, the plot picks up in typical Yakuza fashion. It’s a great entry in the series.

It's the game where Goro Majima became the Goro Majima we all know and love, and for that it deserves respect and praise.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i've only played y0. Are there other yakuza games where all the last bosses confess their boundless admiration for the protagonist then whip their shirts off and lose gracefully, redeeming themselves in the process?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

No Wave posted:

i've only played y0. Are there other yakuza games where all the last bosses confess their boundless admiration for the protagonist then whip their shirts off and lose gracefully, redeeming themselves in the process?

Did that happen in 0?? It's been a while but I thought Kiryu and Majima's stories both ended on a "you're scum, but I'm not going to dirty myself by killing you" note.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i was referring more to Kuze, Awano, and the other dude (who, while less redeemed than the other two, gains some sympathy by revealing he always expected to lose). mr assassin man does not fit my description ofc.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

No Wave posted:

The shirt whipping definitely happens, and redemption sometimes happens through other means

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No Wave posted:

Some of them have more than one of these

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yakuza 3 was my first game but I was a high schooler with unlimited free time so the slow opening didn't bother me

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

No Wave posted:

Usually the confession happens after Kiryu beats them down so hard, it completely shatters their worldview and they realize the error of their ways, not before.

Unfortunately there's then like a 99% chance that they'll either be shot or exploded seconds after this happens.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
why doesn't kiryu just run around shirtless all of the time. games would be a lot shorter imo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Everything I'm hearing about Yakuza 7 sounds awesome, so they better hurry up and get the PC versions of 3-6 out so I can play them in preparation for 7 coming out!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Someone help quick, I'm about to spend $17 on Judgement DLC outfits and the ability to have cats walk around my office

it's stupid but....i can hang out with saori-san.....

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Just beat Judgement's Amon for the first time. Probably took me 3 hours, maybe more. I'm curious to hear what your strategies were for his final form. I didn't quite have enough heat moves I could pull off to end the fight fast, and trying to punch him a bunch is dangerous because he does so much damage back. Feel like I knew what to do for 2 hours, but just couldn't pull it off.

E: despite the struggle, it was some of the most fun I've had with the game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Just beat Judgement's Amon for the first time. Probably took me 3 hours, maybe more. I'm curious to hear what your strategies were for his final form. I didn't quite have enough heat moves I could pull off to end the fight fast, and trying to punch him a bunch is dangerous because he does so much damage back. Feel like I knew what to do for 2 hours, but just couldn't pull it off.

Always stay in red tiger mode. His attacks in his red mode are too fast so its risky for you to be in blue crane mode. In fact you'll be okay just dodging and blocking his blue mode even when you're in red mode.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Dodge the steal, extracts for the weapon phase, revival extract during final as a backup. Dodge during red, flip kick off wall to drop shield during blue then EX (recharge with items if needed) and try for take him down with easy EX moves. You basically get one shot at the final form, but even with that it took me an hour or so to clear him. (All stats were max)

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I couldn't get neither the wall kick nor wall kick ex move to work in the later stages. How I did it: dodge until he throws grenades and punish with flux fissure, repeat until 2nd form. Use EX boost in the matching stance until 3rd form. Try to pull off EX moves and flux fissures as he's about to change stances in 3rd form. Really feel like that breakdance spinning kick would have helped take a good chunk off, but I haven't figured out what move that is or how to do it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Pretty sure it's just mash triangle with EX active.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I watched a video on how to do it and did it with that. His sonic booms heal you and refill your EX gauge if your current stance matches the same color so you can just tank one phase and EX burst down another so long as you break the shield with a wall kick when the timing is right.

Really fun fight. Remember that you can equip medikits and such in your quick slots and they persist even if he steals your phone.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Zushio posted:

Pretty sure it's just mash triangle with EX active.

Weird. I've only even accidentally done it like twice in 55 hours.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

That’s pretty common in anime in general.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Did not know about wall kick. I just did heat moves in the opposite style. Apparently tiger drop works too, I think flux fissure works when he is blue as well. Honestly I just thought he took the normal amount of damage when you're in the opposite style.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Yakuza: RGG sounds dope so far. I can see people bulding up classes around the physics, like a lineup made for maximim knockback that pushes all opponents into wallbounce animations. Or cars.

Though I love the live city beat-em-up of judgement, I am kinda interested to see how The RPG formula pans out.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'm sorry are you saying that April Fool's video was actually gameplay

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I went into the fight fully drunk and used one of the rare non-DLC elixirs that gave you some kind of special attack (forgot the name of it, been a while since I finished the game). Once the fight started, I started up EX mode and used the special attack on him as many times as I can which did so much damage to Amon that it skipped the part where he's supposed to grab your phone meaning I had access to all of my items and the pause menu the entire fight, making the rest of the fight easier.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm sorry are you saying that April Fool's video was actually gameplay

YEP

It turns out the real April fools were the friends we made along the way

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Count me in as someone who's pysched for for Yakuza 7. There's been about 9 or so Yakuza titles and spin-offs out in the West with the same core gameplay so a change of pace is welcome.

Judging by the quote from Vikar Jerome's post it looks like it's gonna have a rhythm mechanic similar to Super Mario RPG which would own and go a long way to keep the gameplay from going stale and feel more like an action game. Or I'm just dumb and the quote is just referring to ye olde QTEs of yore.

Metroid Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 31, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The April Fools video absolutely was not gameplay, but rather a proof of concept video for how the flow of fights work, where things move in real time and your moves can be interrupted

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Re: my yakuza 3 talk from yesterday, I want to be clear I'm not complaining about how it has the slowest/longest opening of the series but I think it's undeniably one of the longest openings before you truly get the free roam.

It's nice walking around his coastal city. It's spent too much time in kamorocho after yakuza 0 - judgment.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

That’s pretty common in anime in general.
Yeah it's a thing I like and I enjoy seeing it outside of shonen.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/johntv/status/1167714824349835264?s=21

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

My only concern with the battles in Yakuza 7 is how much time it may take. You get jumped a lot in these games, and one of the things I liked about the new engine was it seemed like fights "engaged" faster and you were able to clear through mooks quicker. Turn-based battles aren't usually known for being speedy.

Plus this studio is kinda bad about being efficient with things like this (why the gently caress don't the batting cage challenges have a retry option).

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Erebus posted:

My only concern with the battles in Yakuza 7 is how much time it may take. You get jumped a lot in these games, and one of the things I liked about the new engine was it seemed like fights "engaged" faster and you were able to clear through mooks quicker. Turn-based battles aren't usually known for being speedy.

Plus this studio is kinda bad about being efficient with things like this (why the gently caress don't the batting cage challenges have a retry option).

this is my main concern too. They've managed to make the fights feel fantastic after years of refining the combat, but everything else they do in these games is hit and miss, and there's a lot of potential to miss here.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Threat levels in Judgement are really annoying but otherwise the game is great. I finally hit chapter 7.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm at the same place and after doing the quest for Turtle Financing with them I ignore. mr. kim is very mad at me but whatever dude

I love that Kaito and Yagami really feel like buds. Him just being along side you in the big fights really makes you guys feel like partners. I love the whole mystery gang that meets in the old game center, everyone is cool

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I just finished Yakuza 3 last night and (ending spoilers) I have no idea what __Mine__ said during his moment of redemption because I was too busy laughing my rear end off at Andre Richardson grunting and cursing in the background. Way to ruin an emotional moment, man :rolleyes:

Also, that's one way to fade to credits, jesus christ! :stare:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Was Mr. Kim patched to be nicer if you skip the threat level bosses? I remember him being way meaner if you just didn’t do it. Now he’s like “I believe in you, you’ll get them next time” and like way nicer about it lol.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
The final boss fight in Judgement was fun and satisfying, even if the motivations are a little contrived. Just 2 dudes fighting in a pretty wide open area, storm raging in the background. That swing in around the window frame after getting kicked out was funny and badass. Some Fast and Furious poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Skeezy posted:

Was Mr. Kim patched to be nicer if you skip the threat level bosses? I remember him being way meaner if you just didn’t do it. Now he’s like “I believe in you, you’ll get them next time” and like way nicer about it lol.

nah it's just random which quote you get