Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what car can't go that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm all for banning sports cars but lets ban guns first. Actually, as they're "just like" each other, banning guns will probably automatically ban sports cars.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Also sports cars 1) already require a license, registration and insurance ; 2) are waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive than guns.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

just like sports cars, people who own fast guns should have to pass a test and get a government-issued picture ID to operate one, and have to carry insurance that covers their victims, and cops can confiscate them if you get caught with one without it being insured or licensed or both, and also regardless of how fast they can shoot the posted limit is one round per three seconds and if you ever shoot faster than that you can get a too-fast-shooting ticket, and you can only operate it on private property or on public areas designated for shooting, where there are posted signs about where and how you can shoot, and if you break those rules you can also get fined etc., and of course most importantly of all, you have to register the sports car I mean sports gun when you buy it, in a nationally-availavle database, and display the registration printed on a big sign on the front and back of the gun at all times, so anyone who sees the gun even from like 100 feet away can immediately call the cops and tell them the number and regardless of what state you're in they can instantly get your name, address, etc.

Oh and everyone who sees you with a fast sports gun knows you're just compensating for your small penis, lol

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

zapplez posted:

Just like a sports car. What honest man needs to go 100 miles an hour. Your dumb hobbies shouldn't put the rest of the public at risk.

Your car only shoots bullets at 100 mph? That's a pathetic muzzle velocity and will barely hurt anything at all!

A gun that shoots bullets at 750 mph on the hand might need to be regulated!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

what car can't go that fast.

good point, we can't just ban sports cars, we should ban all cars.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
:iiaca: but forever because God forbid we actually talk about guns

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

If you got rid of all the guns tomorrow the only result would be less people dying
If you got rid of all the cars society as a whole would grind to a halt cause we need them to get to work
As soon as someone compares cars to guns you know there isn't a functioning brain in that head

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Unoriginal Name posted:

A gun that shoots bullets at 750 mph on the hand might need to be regulated!
depending on bullet weight and barrel length, an AR-15 is cranking em out at over 1,900 mph

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

TenementFunster posted:

depending on bullet weight and barrel length, an AR-15 is cranking em out at over 1,900 mph

Jeez, that sounds downright dangerous

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Unoriginal Name posted:

Jeez, that sounds downright dangerous
it's no sports car, though!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a big bruise because of guns so let's say my feelings re guns are currently mixed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

zapplez posted:

good point, we can't just ban sports cars, we should ban all cars.

This is just amazingly disingenuous. Like there should be sky writing about how purposefully poorly thought out this is.

This poo poo-post is so lovely it belongs in a museum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Banning private automobile transport is not a bad idea but it's not relevant to the thread.

Also you first have to ban landlords so that people can live near where they work.

:can:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is just amazingly disingenuous. Like there should be sky writing about how purposefully poorly thought out this is.

This poo poo-post is so lovely it belongs in a museum.

If the argument is "your dumb toy/hobby is dangerous, therefore should be banned (because 0 deaths is too many for a toy) " what is the loving difference?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zapplez posted:

I've never been anti-gun control.

zapplez posted:

If the argument is "your dumb toy/hobby is dangerous, therefore should be banned (because 0 deaths is too many for a toy) " what is the loving difference?

That's never been the argument, but you know that

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

zapplez posted:

A gun is not a car

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's true we shuold ban cars and guns they are both bad. Perhaps we could allow speed limited low pollution personal transportation vehicles if someone can show they can be operated safely by users in an urban environment. Similarly, people can continue to use bb guns or whatever for target practice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bicycles kill people too so repeal all bomb ban laws restricting the rights of fun loving bomb hobbyists

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

zapplez posted:

drat, you keep doing this! no country on earth has zero. nobody is expecting zero. however, 33,000 every single year seems a bit extreme. maybe we could get that down, somehow?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zapplez posted:

hi, i feel that any deaths is too many for a toy. i don't see how there's anything wrong with my line of thinking.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 5, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

drat, you keep doing this! no country on earth has zero. nobody is expecting zero. however, 33,000 every single year seems a bit extreme. maybe we could get that down, somehow?

No way to prevent this

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doctor Butts posted:

hi, i feel that any deaths is too many for a toy. i don't see how there's anything wrong with my line of thinking.

Agreed. Backyard pools are slap in the face for any family man. You think your recreation is more important than my kids safety? gently caress you. Hundreds of kids die every year so you can show off and have your own pool parties and serve margaritas.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Reducing gun deaths down to 'hundreds' a year sounds pretty good

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

zapplez posted:

Agreed. Backyard pools are slap in the face for any family man. You think your recreation is more important than my kids safety? gently caress you. Hundreds of kids die every year so you can show off and have your own pool parties and serve margaritas.
yo if 33,000 deaths a year isn’t too many to justify making a hobby require a little more paperwork, what number of annual deaths would change your mind?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TenementFunster posted:

yo if 33,000 deaths a year isn’t too many to justify making a hobby require a little more paperwork, what number of annual deaths would change your mind?

I'm fine with a ton of extra paperwork. Lay out your gun control strategy for me. I bet i'll agree with all of it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zapplez posted:

You do know that pools actually have a lot of laws based around them for just this reason, right? I mean no you obviously don't, or just like the spurious car chat you wouldn't bring it up.

You just keep bringing up other examples of poo poo that is harmful and needs to be regulated and they're regulated. Just like guns should be. You're actually proving the opposite point. You loving goofball.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zapplez posted:

Pools aren’t specifically designed to end lives.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

zapplez posted:

I'm fine with a ton of extra paperwork. Lay out your gun control strategy for me. I bet i'll agree with all of it.
helpfully, i have done that multiple times in this thread already.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
hey, let's use pool analogies rather than talk about guns

e: before we go any further, how many mph do pools go

Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 5, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xiahou Dun posted:

You do know that pools actually have a lot of laws based around them for just this reason, right? I mean no you obviously don't, or just like the spurious car chat you wouldn't bring it up.

You just keep bringing up other examples of poo poo that is harmful and needs to be regulated and they're regulated. Just like guns should be. You're actually proving the opposite point. You loving goofball.

Even with all thoes pool regulation they still kill hundreds of kids. Just loving ban them already. Your toy is not worth any deaths.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004

~thanks!

A swimming pool is also not a gun
How many times do you have to hear this

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zapplez posted:

Even with all thoes pool regulation they still kill hundreds of kids. Just loving ban them already. Your toy is not worth any deaths.

Swimming pools have so many more regulations than guns in many parts of the US.

This is undermining your own argument, you dumb poo poo.

What the christ.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004

~thanks!

zappelz, upon seeing someone getting in their car to drive to work: "Hey have you considered using your gun to get to work instead, I mean they're pretty much the same thing!?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Welcome to Gunchat MKII*.

Talk about guns, gun related legislation, scholarly articles on firearms, firearm laws around the world, 3d printed firearms and improvised firearms somebody made out of an old prosthetic leg.

Zapplez, knock it the gently caress off. Stop trying to change the conversation to anything but guns in the loving gunchat thread, which is for discussion of guns specifically and nothing else.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I think the biggest thing for gun control would be to just destroy the NRA. Either somehow cut off the money so that it no longer works as a grift or counter its operations effectively enough that it stops being the most successful lobbyist group on the planet.

So long as it can paralyze politicians with fear out of the mere suggestion of a threat of mobilizing against one of them, not even the most basic, no-brainer gun control measure can ever happen. They created the current crisis and they're the ones who maintain it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TenementFunster posted:

helpfully, i have done that multiple times in this thread already.

I looked through your post history and I cant find any details and what you think a good gun control system would be

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Swimming pools have so many more regulations than guns in many parts of the US.

This is undermining your own argument, you dumb poo poo.

What the christ.

in fairness to zapplez, he is not arguing for no or even lax regulations on guns. He is just arguing they shouldn't be completely banned. Which is a reasonable position.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Regardless of whether guns should be banned it's tbh surprising to see so many people apperantly okay with pools. They're indefensible from any reasonable standpoint I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Crimpolioni posted:

Regardless of whether guns should be banned it's tbh surprising to see so many people apperantly okay with pools. They're indefensible from any reasonable standpoint I thought.
But they are fun and I like them so gently caress everyone who isn't me, and also me who will probably die in my pool.