Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

My Twitter Account posted:

Hopefully that wait won't be too long, but as of now the festival screening is being treated as a one-time thing and there are no plans to release the DC to home media.

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1166381106951839746?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Toni Collete's scream in Heriditary is one of the most soul searingly realistic screams of grief and terror in film history.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Toni Collete's scream in Heriditary is one of the most soul searingly realistic screams of grief and terror in film history.

From the moment of the accident to the moment the casket lowers into the ground was some intense poo poo.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

RCarr posted:

From the moment of the accident to the moment the casket lowers into the ground was some intense poo poo.

I remember that I was so shocked and horrified by the car accident that I was convinced the scene would cut, revealing it to have been a dream. It wasn’t until Toni Collette started screaming that the reality of the event hit me.

And then it just kept going.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Did the characters ever have a hope of getting out alive or were they only killed because they transgressed (peeing on the tree, taking photos of the book, trying to leave before the ceremony was over)?

Like, had they just went along with everything (and not been part of the sacrifice lottery) would they have been fine?

Nope

charles.
Mar 2, 2019

I make a little animation (spoilers I guess)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Has anybody seen the directors cut yet? Apparently a theater near me is showing it but it's nearly three goddamn hours long.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I want to but I think it's only showing this weekend and I'm at a thing all weekend. :smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Has anybody seen the directors cut yet? Apparently a theater near me is showing it but it's nearly three goddamn hours long.

Uh, isn't that the regular film? Thought the director's cut was 4 hours.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Uh, isn't that the regular film? Thought the director's cut was 4 hours.

Yea the regular film was just about 3 hours long from what I remember.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s 2:27.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don't think the DC is four hours, the entry on my theater says the directors cut is 2:50.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I had a ticket but I decided against going, mostly because I was bushed from work but also because it kind of felt too soon to watch it again.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Just saw the director's cut. It's really, really good.

The extended scenes are almost all character stuff. Christian is much more explicitly a gaslighting shithead in this version. Mark is even more of an obnoxious moron.

The scene that Ari Aster said he couldn't stand to cut, where Dani and Christian argue, is restored -- and it's actually the one thing I felt should have stayed cut. Dani's dialogue here felt clichéd to me, not much more than a standard horror-movie "we have to get out of here" speech.

We get an additional ritual, which is kind of cool? Mostly I think I just noticed stuff on my second viewing that I missed the first time.

edit: Ohhh also Christian's conversation at Siv's house is extended, and while it doesn't give closure to the debate over how much of a victim Christian is, it gives significant weight to one side.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 31, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The extended scenes are almost all character stuff. Christian is much more explicitly a gaslighting shithead in this version. Mark is even more of an obnoxious moron.

So glad Aster cleared this up

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just saw the director's cut. It's really, really good.

The scene that Ari Aster said he couldn't stand to cut, where Dani and Christian argue, is restored -- and it's actually the one thing I felt should have stayed cut. Dani's dialogue here felt clichéd to me, not much more than a standard horror-movie "we have to get out of here" speech.

We get an additional ritual, which is kind of cool? Mostly I think I just noticed stuff on my second viewing that I missed the first time.

edit: Ohhh also Christian's conversation at Siv's house is extended, and while it doesn't give closure to the debate over how much of a victim Christian is, it gives significant weight to one side.

But did it expand on the meaning of Christian's erection????

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Director's cut tonight at 8 pm and I am so excited :dance:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Something I was curious about but forgot to watch out for: does Ingmar say or do anything that foreshadows that he is preparing himself to be sacrificed?

It’s obvious for Ulf, from his reaction to Mark pissing on the old tree; that’s where they place the remains of their sacrificed ancestors, and Ulf knows that in a few days he will be there too. It’s explained to Mark that Ulf is emotional because “it’s a big week for him”. But I don’t remember any similar behavior from Ingmar.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Something I was curious about but forgot to watch out for: does Ingmar say or do anything that foreshadows that he is preparing himself to be sacrificed?

It’s obvious for Ulf, from his reaction to Mark pissing on the old tree; that’s where they place the remains of their sacrificed ancestors, and Ulf knows that in a few days he will be there too. It’s explained to Mark that Ulf is emotional because “it’s a big week for him”. But I don’t remember any similar behavior from Ingmar.

I didn't notice anything but I may have still missed it.

Absolutely worth a second watch for the additional context and details you can catch. Such as, her sister says everything is black as her reason for doing what she does, and in the May pole dance they are explicitly dancing to spite The Black One.

Also I caught the face in the May queen scene this time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Went to see the extended edition, never saw the original cat.

I'd give it a 7/10 movie "quality", and a 9/10 for how interesting it was. I think that gap is part of what people are grappling with, in that in many ways it's a flawed film (though not horrifically so), but it did strike at something that obviously concerns a lot of viewers.

I'd say it has the same problem as Inside Out (yes, the Pixar kid's movie) in that it deeply needed to decide whether it's primarily a metaphor or not, because some events or actions in the film significantly detract from it if it's not meant to be read that way (and not because they really add a lot else). A lot of people's hangups about the film seem to derive from this issue.

For example,

If it's all a metaphor, then it does matter what Connie and Simon "did". If it's just a hosed up thing happening to people, it doesn't. If it's all just a hosed-up thing that happened to some people, then none of these people "deserved" to die, and there's nothing to be read into burning her boyfriend in the bear.

I think it's pretty sure it's a metaphor, but if so, there were some pretty obvious missteps in how the film guided the audience through the journey, including the presence of Reuben.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

Heavy Tusk vibes from this film.

I'm one of the few people who likes Tusk a lot, and I think it actually landed its metaphor a lot better than Midsommer. Of course, its message is that e-fame from internet jeering isn't actually fun or cool to experience, so it's not a film I particularly expect SA to understand :v:.

The biggest commonality though, to me, is characters like Connie who absolutely know something's wrong and need to get out but have no actual avenue to do so at that point, and the dread that it instills. Connie and Simon both realize there's something terrible and that they need to leave, but they're past the point where that's an option, full-stop.

Of course, there's also "dickhead gets disproportionate punishment" angle, who also I think worked better in Tusk.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Pick posted:

If it's all a metaphor, then it does matter what Connie and Simon "did". If it's just a hosed up thing happening to people, it doesn't. If it's all just a hosed-up thing that happened to some people, then none of these people "deserved" to die, and there's nothing to be read into burning her boyfriend in the bear.
This might be true, were it not for the fact that the Hårga only chose eight of the nine sacrifices. Dani chose the ninth. It’s a hosed-up thing that happened to eight people who didn’t “deserve” to die, and one who did.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Who wants a facile political take that utilizes Midsommar?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"teenager wanting to not live on a barren dead world is nazi propaganda" is a weird thing right wingers love to trot out on twitter and it is bizarre.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

saw it again yesterday, liked it more the second time. It’s so beautiful, smart, and hosed up.

Christian, Mark, and Josh are all such assholes that I would hate irl. I’m glad they die.

Something I didn’t notice the first time: the girl that took Mark away having scratches all over her face at the end

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Wiggy Marie posted:

Also I caught the face in the May queen scene this time.

I just came from the Director's Cut and thought this film was great, but I'm not sure what this this exactly and am wondering if I missed it too?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Listerine posted:

I just came from the Director's Cut and thought this film was great, but I'm not sure what this this exactly and am wondering if I missed it too?

you see her sister's (hosed up) face in the trees. it was up on youtube but got pulled.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

you see her sister's (hosed up) face in the trees. it was up on youtube but got pulled.

All i remember was seeing a generic face. I don’t think there was much detail to it, especially not enough to make it out an actual actor’s face out of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one of the eyes is hosed up the same way hers was but it's really only something you can see when you pause it.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Face in tree

Hopefully this works. Not only is it her dead sister's face, the line of yellow mimics the tubing.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Wiggy Marie posted:

Face in tree

Hopefully this works. Not only is it her dead sister's face, the line of yellow mimics the tubing.

Oh good god.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Really glad to learn that Dani's speaking gibberish at the end of the dance. I suspected it, but it wasn't obvious enough for me. She probably would have had to go full-on Swedish Chef for me to actually realize it.

Super minor point, but was Pelle correct that Josh's thesis couldn't be peer-reviewed if he anonymized everything?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

FYI: Blu-Ray in USA is theatrical cut (releases 10/8/19). Director's cut is exclusive to Apple TV in USA.

There is a Director's Cut Blu-Ray available for preorder from Amazon UK (releases 10/28/19). Will either need a region switchable player or AnyDVD to watch in USA.

Blah blah who buys discs, blah blah picture and audio quality, blah blah blah Apple sucks.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I missed the movie in theaters. Should I track down the director's cut or settle for theatrical? I'm pretty well spoiled on what happens in the movie, if that matters.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I missed the movie in theaters. Should I track down the director's cut or settle for theatrical? I'm pretty well spoiled on what happens in the movie, if that matters.

The theatrical cut is still a great movie, but the director’s cut is better. Not better enough to go through all the work, though, unless you have Apple TV already, I guess.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

The theatrical cut is still a great movie, but the director’s cut is better. Not better enough to go through all the work, though, unless you have Apple TV already, I guess.

It looks like I can get it through iTunes and watch it on my Mac

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I finally saw it. Yikes.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The apple exclusivity poo poo is stupid, the director's cut is listed as an extra so you can't even download it, it has to be streamed.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

RichterIX posted:

The apple exclusivity poo poo is stupid, the director's cut is listed as an extra so you can't even download it, it has to be streamed.

That sucks. I plan to buy the Bluray with the non-director's cut anyway, since that's the version I originally saw and loved, but the director's cut would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I didn't care for Hereditary, but I thought this was ok. That's my opinion, thanks for reading.