Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I have an older model of this, and I would definitely recommend the Yale brand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXK4191/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sharkytm posted:

I'm really excited to try out the 10G-over-HDMI stacking port. Dell 55xx series, BTW.

I've never used it on the Dells but I have a pair of Netgears with the same thing that have been running great for ~5 years since the Dell 55xx they replaced released the magic smoke.

AFAIK it's basically just running the same electrical signals that would normally be routed to a SFP+ port to a HDMI port because they happen to be readily available cables that can handle the data rate.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Yale makes one of the best smart locks--highly recommend.

Interesting story today in the Washington Post about Ring and the "benefits of the cloud": https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...eillance-reach/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HycoCam posted:

Interesting story today in the Washington Post about Ring and the "benefits of the cloud": https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...eillance-reach/

If it actually does operate as described where cops can only see video users have explicitly shared to the local community and send out requests for footage potentially relevant to active investigations I think that's actually pretty reasonable. No different from going door to door asking for any information, just more convenient for everyone involved. Some of the early headlines I had read about this implied that it was more open for police to just pull footage, which obviously would have been a lot more concerning even if it was opt-in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

If it actually does operate as described where cops can only see video users have explicitly shared to the local community and send out requests for footage potentially relevant to active investigations I think that's actually pretty reasonable. No different from going door to door asking for any information, just more convenient for everyone involved. Some of the early headlines I had read about this implied that it was more open for police to just pull footage, which obviously would have been a lot more concerning even if it was opt-in.

Hrm the newspaper owned by the company which owns Ring says you have nothing to worry about... oh well, nothing to see here!

The Fresno police said explicitly that they could pull anyone's video for 60 days whether the user cooperated or not and while that story was updated with Amazon saying that they shouldn't be doing that, I'm inclined to believe that the original reporting was probably accurate.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Has anybody ever asked the legal thread if you should ever share footage without a search warrant?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

wolrah posted:

When you hand over your data to a third party they have some control of how compliant they are going to be with subpoenas which can be surprisingly easy to get and incredibly difficult to get a company to comply with, see Apple's fights with the FBI.

There seems to be some suggesting that Ring will rollover on anything that partnered police departments manage to get a judge to sign off on if they are a partner.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Hrm the newspaper owned by the company which owns Ring says you have nothing to worry about... oh well, nothing to see here!

The Fresno police said explicitly that they could pull anyone's video for 60 days whether the user cooperated or not and while that story was updated with Amazon saying that they shouldn't be doing that, I'm inclined to believe that the original reporting was probably accurate.
That's why I said "If it actually does operate as described". That is, obviously, quite a big if, as noted in the last sentence.

Three Olives posted:

When you hand over your data to a third party they have some control of how compliant they are going to be with subpoenas which can be surprisingly easy to get and incredibly difficult to get a company to comply with, see Apple's fights with the FBI.

There seems to be some suggesting that Ring will rollover on anything that partnered police departments manage to get a judge to sign off on if they are a partner.

For the record I'm a die-hard for on-premise camera systems and would rarely suggest that anyone use a cloud camera of any sort (hell, I generally won't even do WiFi), but I don't see how this really changes much if you've already given in to that. I don't think Ring was ever going to put up much of a fight against warrants outside of egregious abuses getting public attention, partner or not.

If you've already decided you're OK with installing a live feed in/on your home that is intentionally being recorded by one of the largest data gathering organizations on the planet where it may be subject to legal requests or just shared through loopholes in privacy policies, an easy way for local police to ask you to submit footage specific to a narrow time/location window doesn't seem like it adds any new potential problems to the equation.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Having an issue with my Smartthings that maybe someone here can help with. I'll just link my post
https://community.smartthings.com/t/smartthings-wifi-hub-issue-as-hub/171717

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Sell your ST hub and come over to Hubitat. It’s so much better.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I dug around and this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask but let me know if there’s a better place to ask...

I got a Levono Smart Alarm clock and up until recently, I loved the little thing. Google Assistant was really handy and coming from the world of Siri seemed vastly more capable.

Then my Dad got an Google Home Speaker.

He’s been playing with his speaker and I keep coming home to find my alarm clock playing music.

So far I’ve locked out the ability to Chromecast to it, turned on personalization but there doesn’t seem to be a way to lock my clock to my voice like with Siri. Is this seriously not a feature??

He’s not doing this intentionally but the drat mic is so good it keeps picking up his voice.

Do I have to resort to setting up a Vlan for my alarm clock? That seems absurd.

Fake edit: in before the pro tip: “move out” :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I dug around and this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask but let me know if there’s a better place to ask...

I got a Levono Smart Alarm clock and up until recently, I loved the little thing. Google Assistant was really handy and coming from the world of Siri seemed vastly more capable.

Then my Dad got an Google Home Speaker.

He’s been playing with his speaker and I keep coming home to find my alarm clock playing music.

So far I’ve locked out the ability to Chromecast to it, turned on personalization but there doesn’t seem to be a way to lock my clock to my voice like with Siri. Is this seriously not a feature??

He’s not doing this intentionally but the drat mic is so good it keeps picking up his voice.

Do I have to resort to setting up a Vlan for my alarm clock? That seems absurd.

Fake edit: in before the pro tip: “move out” :v:

There's no way to just lock a Google Home to a single user's voice. Certain things are walled behind voice recognition but others are not. Honestly I'd never considered a situation where a single living space would have two separate Google Home users.

The easiest thing to do is muting the mic before leaving the room. You could also just add your dad's account to your Home and your account to his, then commands can only turn on one thing but the problem there might be that he'll have times where he tells his Home to do something and yours does it instead which is annoying when Homes are too close to each other. It shouldn't happen that often, they aren't bad at knowing which one you're talking to but every once in while they're wrong and that is mildly annoying.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

bobfather posted:

Sell your ST hub and come over to Hubitat. It’s so much better.

Interesting. I have never heard of Hubitat but looking at their site, that is where the creator of Rulemachine went to after pulling his app from Smartthings. I still run Rulemachine on ST with the last version he put out and it is awesome.

I'll have to give Hubitat some time to grow and work out the kinks. I would like to move to a platform that has local processing instead of cloud. Moving all of my crap over seems like a daunting task that will take all day though so I have to make sure the grass is actually greener on the other side.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I'd never considered a situation where a single living space would have two separate Google Home users.

Really?

You must be a product manager in the bay area. If not, you're perfect for the job.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I recently reconnected one of my Chamberlain MyQ modules for my garage door. It's the old (~2016) gateway that plugs into the Ethernet port of my router. To open it I can use the MyQ app, or ask Google to tell MyQ to open it. Does buying the Hub integrate it better into Google Home? Also this feels like a dumb question, but since it looks like the hub only includes one door sensor, I'd only be able to control one door right? I'd need to buy another sensor for both of my doors?

I'm only considering it because if I put in the second gateway that's taking up two Ethernet ports and using two bulky power adapters. I'd need to decide if ~$70-80 is worth it for such a minor hassle

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Motronic posted:

Really?

You must be a product manager in the bay area. If not, you're perfect for the job.

Obviously I'm not in the bay area because where I'm from everyone can afford their own living space without the need for a roommate.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
I'd think the question isn't so much what Ring will and won't hand over, but more who turns over camera data and doesn't.

If 80% of the people in your neighborhood give their permission for the Ring to surrender their images--what does it say about the other 20%. It turns into a "Maybe those other 20% aren't all criminals, but I bet if the cops look hard at those 20% they will find the crimes." Or what do the police do with the person that normally turns over their camera data, but for a particular instance decides not too--are they automatic suspects? Slippery slope...I am glad my feeds stay local.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
At some percentage of permission (assuming a random distribution of those giving permission) it probably doesn't even matter because you'll have de facto video of, for example, the non-permission house across the street, (albeit a reverse-shot).

:sigh:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

LastInLine posted:

There's no way to just lock a Google Home to a single user's voice. Certain things are walled behind voice recognition but others are not. Honestly I'd never considered a situation where a single living space would have two separate Google Home users.

The easiest thing to do is muting the mic before leaving the room. You could also just add your dad's account to your Home and your account to his, then commands can only turn on one thing but the problem there might be that he'll have times where he tells his Home to do something and yours does it instead which is annoying when Homes are too close to each other. It shouldn't happen that often, they aren't bad at knowing which one you're talking to but every once in while they're wrong and that is mildly annoying.

So, ironically, I think the best thing to do would be to group them into the same account, we have 8 Google Homes (Plus two more kind of sitting at the moment) and while they frequently overhear the same request because you hear them beep, almost always only the closest one will respond, even in situations like our bedroom where we have Google Home displays on both nightstands.

Also name them, I'm not sure if you can if you don't have multiple devices in the same home, then "Play X on X Speaker" will set the command on whatever specified device, regardless of if you start the command from that device. Like "Play Spotify on Patio Speakers" in our kitchen will only play Spotify on the patio on the other side of the yard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Schadenboner posted:

At some percentage of permission (assuming a random distribution of those giving permission) it probably doesn't even matter because you'll have de facto video of, for example, the non-permission house across the street, (albeit a reverse-shot).

:sigh:

Assuming universal adoption and motion triggers that consider the property across the street, you could get a much farther away video, yeah. The zoom-and-enhance people would make a killing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

So, ironically, I think the best thing to do would be to group them into the same account, we have 8 Google Homes (Plus two more kind of sitting at the moment) and while they frequently overhear the same request because you hear them beep, almost always only the closest one will respond, even in situations like our bedroom where we have Google Home displays on both nightstands.

Also name them, I'm not sure if you can if you don't have multiple devices in the same home, then "Play X on X Speaker" will set the command on whatever specified device, regardless of if you start the command from that device. Like "Play Spotify on Patio Speakers" in our kitchen will only play Spotify on the patio on the other side of the yard.

You don't need to use the same account but you do need to have all accounts on all devices in order for Homes to only respond with the closest speaker. I have six in a pretty small home and as long as you aren't in the center of the house trying to issue a command it works pretty well but I can say that every once in a while the Homes guess wrongly as to which speaker we'd prefer reply.

None of the software solutions will work until all accounts are on all the Homes because what's happening is that each Home assumes it's the only one in the house and is executing every command it hears. Snuffman has been exacerbating the problem by trying to keep them separate when the solution is for them to be brought together. They need to be aware of each other in order to differentiate by voice, defer to the closer speaker, and to specify casting targets. Both Homes need to be visible in both users' Home apps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are Echo-things reliable enough at voice stuff to accurately identify the speaker? I would love people to be able to say “add mowing lawn to my todo list” and have something reasonable happen.

(By which I guess I mean it would always be added to my daughter’s todo list regardless of the speaker, in this case.)

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I dont think so but you should be able to create daughters list and then say add x to daughters list.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was joking about the mowing, but it looks like I’m out of luck in general yeah.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

HycoCam posted:

I'd think the question isn't so much what Ring will and won't hand over, but more who turns over camera data and doesn't.

If 80% of the people in your neighborhood give their permission for the Ring to surrender their images--what does it say about the other 20%. It turns into a "Maybe those other 20% aren't all criminals, but I bet if the cops look hard at those 20% they will find the crimes." Or what do the police do with the person that normally turns over their camera data, but for a particular instance decides not too--are they automatic suspects? Slippery slope...I am glad my feeds stay local.

Given that police are quite happy to use things like Cell interception without a specific warrant, user permission is frankly a figleaf. If it goes into the cloud, the it's only a question of effort as to whether or not the State has access.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I was joking about the mowing, but it looks like I’m out of luck in general yeah.

All of the voice control that is currently available is basically a hand full of single-use party tricks that may or may not work depending on your accent. You consume these party tricks at the risk of security (in all but roll our own on prem solutions which work even worse in my experience).

I just don't see the benefit. My home automation control is entirely tablet and switch based (switches to override anything, with a big "off" button for the automation should it poo poo the bed and I don't have time to mess with it).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Are Echo-things reliable enough at voice stuff to accurately identify the speaker? I would love people to be able to say “add mowing lawn to my todo list” and have something reasonable happen.

(By which I guess I mean it would always be added to my daughter’s todo list regardless of the speaker, in this case.)

Not sure about Echo, but I have this set up for my Google Home (via IFTTT -> Todoist, although I think there's a direct integration now). It seems to work great for me.

One trick I stumbled into was changing the Assistant Voice for my own accounts preferences in Google Home. I changed it for me, but not the default on the devices. This has the interesting property of essentially telling me up front whether a command was recognized as being from me versus someone else/unidentified.

So far I have very rarely gotten a false negative (failing to recognize me) and never a false positive (recognizing someone else AS me). I'm an adult white male with a standard mid-atlantic American accent who doesn't live with any other adult males, though, so your mileage may vary.

Motronic posted:

All of the voice control that is currently available is basically a hand full of single-use party tricks that may or may not work depending on your accent. You consume these party tricks at the risk of security (in all but roll our own on prem solutions which work even worse in my experience).

I just don't see the benefit. My home automation control is entirely tablet and switch based (switches to override anything, with a big "off" button for the automation should it poo poo the bed and I don't have time to mess with it).

I wouldn't say they're useless, but I tend to agree. The biggest uses I tend to find for them are:

1) Decent multi-room streaming audio. This is mostly a fringe benefit, but it's a nice bonus.

2) Light control. I'm also all in on physical switches, and I've got multi-touch switches (the Homeseer ones) that I use to control scenes. This is nice, but I still find myself using the voice to control lights by room/group. I found it helpful to create light groups in HomeAssistant, which lets me put lights in multiple "rooms" as well (something Google Home doesn't allow). So I have individual lights in my "Living Room", "Bedroom", and "Hallway" rooms, but then also groups for "Living Room Lights", "Bedroom Lights", and "Hallway Lights" that are assigned to the "Upstairs" room as well (and similarly for the Basement). Voice would be useless if I had to issue separate commands for every light, but the flexibility that overlapping groups provides helps a ton. It's also nice to switch scenes -- our den has a "TV Time" scene that dims the room and turns on a bias light, and it's nice to just be able to activate it without having to get up or fish out a device.

3) Timers. Incredibly helpful to be able to set multiple, overlapping timers while cooking, without having to wash hands/fish out a phone.

4) Adding things to a list. In particular, I've got an IFTTT set up on the command "Add <X> to groceries" that inserts a task into a specific Todoist project for my Grocery list (which I have shared with the family). Being able to just say "Hey Google, Add Milk to Groceries" when I pour the last bit out without having to jot it down is very helpful for me. Continued Conversations means I can look at a recipe and just do a series of "Add X to Groceries, Add Y to Groceries, Add Z to Groceries" and quickly build a list. I could probably do something more elegant if I dig into the integration a bit more.

5) Routines. Right now I mostly just use a "Good Morning" routine that turns on the lights upstairs, reads any reminders I have for the day, and then plays a local weather forecast and short news feed. I've been meaning to play with others, but that's the one I've found most valuable.

6) Voice Feedback. Home Assistant can (in theory) talk to you via the Google Homes using a Text-to-Speech notifier. I have an automation that uses that to announce when the washing machine/dryer are finished running. I'm meaning to hook up some sensors (especially the Water/Leak ones) to notify me of important events and complement the HTML5 push notifications. Again, it's not essential if you have a smart phone handy, but it's still a nice piece of polish. I have found in the past that the TTS events seem to fail to fire sometimes, though, so it's not bullet proof.

So anyways, I'd agree that they aren't at all critical to a smarthhome setup but I've found they do have value and I don't regret the 2 Google Homes + 4 Home Minis I picked up, given the cost.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hubis and I seem to have very similar setups and outcomes. Adding to lists isn't a native Google feature so it's not voice gated but my reliability for voice gated actions has been that it's >99% or better, the only problems when I'm trying to talk over the TV or both my wife and I speak at the same time.

I definitely wouldn't describe voice actions as party tricks though. I'd actually go the other way and say that home automation without voice control is as useful as a car without wheels. There's absolutely no point to it at all if you have to use a physical switch or smartphone to do anything useful in my view and if it's not reliably some with natural voice controls it's probably not worth automating.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'd actually go the other way and say that home automation without voice control is as useful as a car without wheels.

Owning both a home automation system without voice AND a car that currently doesn't have wheels on it I can definitely tell you that having my outdoor lights come on and go off on a timer based on sunset, having them turn back on if it's dark out and someone breaks the driveway sensor, notifying me and sending a picture any time the driveway sensor is broken, alerting me if the heat or AC is on while a window is open and also notifying me if a window is open and it starts raining, controlling lighting scenes from the three specifically provided hard buttons on my Harmony in the home theater and many other functions is doing me a lot more good than the car that doesn't have wheels on it.

LastInLine posted:

There's absolutely no point to it at all if you have to use a physical switch or smartphone to do anything useful in my view and if it's not reliably some with natural voice controls it's probably not worth automating.

I'm not using a smartphone - it seems you haven't read my post. Most thing require no interaction at all because they are based on sensors. The rest can be controlled through tablets that are throughout the house.

Sure, you can pull up that panel interface on the tablets on your smart phone, but I don't see why I'd want to.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

I see home automation as having a few parallel and interacting goals:

1) Monitoring and providing you with information that you wouldn't otherwise have access to
2) Automating certain reactions so you don't have to think about them
3) Streaming things you would otherwise have to do manually

There's a ton of value in the first two, but voice assistants only really help with the third.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I wasn't responding specifically to you, I just meant in general I've found that the only compelling use case for home automation has been voice controls. Sensor based automation was what everyone was selling this stuff on when it first came out but my experience has been that I haven't found a single situation where I'd want something to react based on something else 100% of the time. Even if you gave me smarter, rule-based triggers, I'd be at a loss to describe any situation where I would always want a rule to govern a specific action.

You've described a few scenarios which provide you value and if you're happy, that's great. None come close to applying to my home or neighborhood unfortunately. And as for the other part, "tablets that are throughout the house" (lol) well, isn't that just using a remote control for poo poo that used to be on the wall along with a stop button you hope is convenient when your Rube Goldberg machine starts eating the cat or playing EDM at 4am? I guess I just view home automation as primarily a way to avoid having to find the controls to do things first and foremost. I just don't get the point if the button is still a button but now it's on a different thing.

I'm sure others have different takes and that's what makes this space pretty cool right now, since the use cases go all the way from turning the back yard into Fort Knox to not wanting to have to physically locate a snooze button in the morning with a million implementations along the way. I'm just saying that for me there wasn't any kind of reward at all until things moved from triggers and rules to voice commands you can use anywhere at any time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LastInLine posted:

And as for the other part, "tablets that are throughout the house" (lol) well, isn't that just using a remote control for poo poo that used to be on the wall along with a stop button you hope is convenient when your Rube Goldberg machine starts eating the cat or playing EDM at 4am?

So that's great if you see no value in being able to glance as a display that give you status as well a camera views, but I'm not not sold on the utility of having things play out of crappy little speakers has unless you are a renter. My home has in ceiling speakers in places I want that to happen, and yes, you can control them through the home automation. Or simply pull something up on your phone and cast to "<room> Airplay".

LastInLine posted:

Sensor based automation was what everyone was selling this stuff on when it first came out but my experience has been that I haven't found a single situation where I'd want something to react based on something else 100% of the time. Even if you gave me smarter, rule-based triggers, I'd be at a loss to describe any situation where I would always want a rule to govern a specific action.

Now again, I don't know your living situation, but let's say you lived on a couple of acres in a reasonably rural area where when it's dark it's DARK. You also have a garage that has auxiliary lights, not just the lovely ones on the garage door openers.

This is just something that happens that nobody in the house every thinks about. Unless something happens that makes it not work.

These subtle things in the right place that "just happen" are the real "automations" of home automation. The only thing you seem to be really adamant about is that voice is better than <insert x other way of MANUALLY making something happen, even if that "something" is a string of things you pre-preogrammed>. And that's not automation. It's a fancier switch.

E: and as far as happening "all the time" in regards to an automation you are in fact correct. Most things don't make sense to happen all the time. Which is why most automation platforms are set up with both a time and an outdoor light and weather awareness. My most used global variables are "house mode", which is morning/day/evening/night and "dark" which is true or false based on sunset and sunrise that day. Note how the garage light automation even takes into account if someone has used the regular light switch and doesn't mess with that. These are the things that need to be thought through to make automation truly work.

This isn't hard. Nothing about it is "rube goldberg". They are simple rules, laid out in an easy to understand visual format in Node Red. Of course I've had unexpected results when setting up a new one - but it's quite easy to parse why it happened ad what you didn't think about (like the garage lights) and fix it.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 1, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That looks an awful lot like the FBD programming I do at work as an industrial automation engineer :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wibla posted:

That looks an awful lot like the FBD programming I do at work as an industrial automation engineer :v:

For good reason. Node Red is based on the same concepts and adapted to allow for being extended to arbitrary I/O functions.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've never seen a home automation system that didn't include at least a few automations that weren't at least slightly irritating because sensors just don't capture the world in high enough fidelity and can't read our intent at all. This leads to (for example) the system turning off the light too soon 3 percent of the time.

I've got a lot of automation configured but there's still lots of manual controls.

We have both in-wall tablets, and zigbee remotes in our house...and voice assistants still get used by everyone 50 percent of the time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

3 percent of the time

At this point in the technology I'd consider that a win and is also why I refuse to not have conveniently located (i.e. where they would be with no automation) manual switches to override.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did anyone say Rube Goldberg?

Here's how my hallway and kitchen lights are automated.

(Yea, I know, this needs to get overhauled.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Honestly the only place where automation ever made sense for me would be really rural situations where you're dealing with several buildings, more distance than you're likely to be able to monitor without assistance, and homes that, at least if the ones on farms near me are any indication, are way too large so it sounds like you're checking most if not all of those boxes.

Alas, I'm in a small home in an older suburb in a well-lit neighborhood. The lights come on when it's dark because that's what street lights do. As for indoor lighting I'm also awake at night and asleep during the day so I can turn on lights as needed. The one light I want to extinguish is the sun and that hasn't been responsive to automation efforts yet and almost all of them involve clouds.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I love being able to tell Echo to turn off everything as I lock the door, or when I’m in bed, I have to say. Maybe I could get it to work off phone presence, but 1/4 of the house doesn’t have a phone, so. Adjusting the thermostat, list management, setting reminders, and broadcasting “dinner is ready” are good, and the Echo speakers are pretty decent for music that’s not in A Listening Room.

I also don’t really want to put tablets in reach of every seating area...I think? Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Getting into bed and turning off all of the lights that may be on with one push of a button is pretty awesome.