Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's really Lovecraftian in that sense, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Riatsala posted:

Subnautica is doing an outstanding job of making me feel like a tiny, fragile speck in a dangerous, indifferent environment.

I've never played a game that captured that sort of feeling of dread and awe in the face of creatures that can end you on a whim, yet in a very primal, naturalistic sense, rather than outright horror.

There are massive floating creatures in that game that will not harm you, not will they even react to you, but they send shivers down my spine whenever I see them simply because of their sheer scale.

Also there's something about the setting (you discover this fact when you get to the edge of the map: that the entire game takes place in the crater of a massive asteroid that struck, allowing life to flourish on what is otherwise a mostly dead planet) that gives me the same sort of feeling, not certain why.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another thing from Control- it’s got really long load times, but the music cuts out during them and starts back up a few seconds before the game becomes responsive again. It’s like a cue to put down your phone and pick up the controller.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The intensity of the combat music also increases or decreases depending on how many monsters are left in a room and how close they are to you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Octopath Traveler won't win awards for writing, but the audio-cues thats transition the prelude-cutscene into the boss-fight are the "hype-poo poo-up" moments that are impossible to not get excited about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgW0uvnRgqc&t=40s

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Sep 1, 2019

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Thanks thread, I wanted to remember what my old FOB emblem was and ended up beating MGS 5. I gave up in 2016 when I couldn't get the last two missions to unlock. Turns out I just needed to listen to a tape :suicide:

Coincidentally, I did it today, the day before the game's 4th birthday.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Octopath Traveler won't win awards for writing, but the audio-cues thats transition the prelude-cutscene into the boss-fight are the "hype-poo poo-up" moments that are impossible to not get excited about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgW0uvnRgqc&t=40s

It's impossible not feel loving psyched to kick rear end with that track, especially once you've got the four-BP moves ready to go and they break out their best audio lines :allears:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's impossible not feel loving psyched to kick rear end with that track, especially once you've got the four-BP moves ready to go and they break out their best audio lines :allears:.

SGDQ did an Octopath Traveler run this year, and one of the best parts was some of the crowd getting hype and shouting out some of those lines.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another thing about Control: It offers you optional content without explicitly signposting it. For example, at one point I crossed through a random laboratory that apparently had an experiment in progress before it was evacuated (you can find it in Luck/Probability Testing, the room with the roulette table). There's no tool-tip or quest that explicitly tells you that. All you see are some scribbles on a whiteboard and a few objects that you can interact. When you look at it for a while and put it together, you can actually recreate the experiment successfully, and only then does the game acknowledge that you did a thing and gives you a (pretty sweet) reward. And the game is pretty full full of those things, from little to big. Sometimes it's just a console that you can find the keycode for with some cleverness to unlock an optional chest. But at another point you can find a whole new area including a major NPC, the resolution to an entire enemy faction, and the ability to traverse previously inaccessible areas (this one you can find at the bottom of Central Research, through a hole in the ground behind the staircase).

It's a nice change of pace from games that put a huge obvious quest marker on everything and pretty much tell you the solution to puzzles as soon as you find them. Just by trusting you to find these things on your own and allowing you to experiment, it feels much more rewarding when you do finally get it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing Hitman 2 now and I can't get enough of David Bateson's Agent 47. He's loving hilarious when he's being obviously super sinister and no-one seems to notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcrcDxS7XeQ

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I love that in the Hitman universe, all services from gardening to psychology are preformed by an army of clones so 47 can perfectly blend in as a janitor and world-famous fashion model in the same mission.

That's not sarcasm, it just feeds into the weird dream logic that the games already operate on.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

buddhist nudist posted:

I love that in the Hitman universe, all services from gardening to psychology are preformed by an army of clones so 47 can perfectly blend in as a janitor and world-famous fashion model in the same mission.

That's not sarcasm, it just feeds into the weird dream logic that the games already operate on.

One of my favorite moments in the 2016 game is that in the first mission, you can disguise yourself as a supermodel named Helmut Kruger, who looks almost exactly like 47, in order to meet with one of the targets. In the last mission, set in an advanced medical facility, there’s a guy who’s getting plastic surgery to look just like Helmut Kruger, who he idolizes. If you happen to run across him, he’ll start yelling at you for like a minute straight for stealing his idea.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

One of my favorite moments in the 2016 game is that in the first mission, you can disguise yourself as a supermodel named Helmut Kruger, who looks almost exactly like 47, in order to meet with one of the targets. In the last mission, set in an advanced medical facility, there’s a guy who’s getting plastic surgery to look just like Helmut Kruger, who he idolizes. If you happen to run across him, he’ll start yelling at you for like a minute straight for stealing his idea.

poo poo, I forgot about that. That mission is super fun in general because it does the best job of embracing sandbox mission structure, and on top of that it cashes in on the lore of all the previous jobs. It's good.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hitman 2016 also makes a lot of hay out of the idea that 47 is highly skilled in everything. Play a drum solo? Hold a therapy session? Do a little twirl on the catwalk? Sure!

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

bony tony posted:

Hitman 2016 also makes a lot of hay out of the idea that 47 is highly skilled in everything. Play a drum solo? Hold a therapy session? Do a little twirl on the catwalk? Sure!

I mean, i guess theres not much to do for a super spy in between missions besides get good at everything.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I really should give the Hitman games a serious shot, sounds like a riot. I never played past the intro mission on the fake boat because life happened and I got distractes by other games.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

buddhist nudist posted:

Nobody paying attention to 6'2" westerner who's wearing a triad uniform. :discourse:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bony tony posted:

I liked how he nonchalantly and confidently performed a shamanic ritual on a moment's notice.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Sep 1, 2019

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Taeke posted:

I really should give the Hitman games a serious shot, sounds like a riot. I never played past the intro mission on the fake boat because life happened and I got distractes by other games.

The new Hitman games are genuinely great, I would thoroughly recommend it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bony tony posted:

And the second game makes it canon that not only did 47 pose as the drummer on that assassination route, he did the drum solo for their new hit album. :v:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The new Hitman games are genuinely great, I would thoroughly recommend it.

Are the older ones worth it? I think I've got the first one that starts with you being helicoptered to an underground base in snowy mountains and you do a training mission on a fake boat setting.

Or should I skip ahead to a later one, and if so, which?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Taeke posted:

Are the older ones worth it? I think I've got the first one that starts with you being helicoptered to an underground base in snowy mountains and you do a training mission on a fake boat setting.

That's the 2016 game, which is basically the same as the most recent game. The newest game actually can have the 2016 maps put into the new game and play better with the new engine improvements.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Taeke posted:

2 and Contracts are fun, but very difficult and janky (contracts is basically just a remake of 1 which was pc only)
Blood Money is terrific, Absolution is good but a very different style from the Hitman games and probably would have worked better as a new IP.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

The new Hitmans are great for just doing the most clownshoes bullshit and still completing your goal.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Taeke posted:

Retro Futurist posted:

2 and Contracts are fun, but very difficult and janky (contracts is basically just a remake of 1 which was pc only)
Blood Money is terrific, Absolution is good but a very different style from the Hitman games and probably would have worked better as a new IP.

Yeah, Blood Money is great (and maybe a bit more approachable than the new ones, since the levels are much simpler).

Older ones are way too janky.

I have a soft spot for Absolution. It has issues, but the classic style levels are good even if some mechanics are bit weird. Even the Splinter Cell style levels are generally fine, although not very hitmanny.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Sep 1, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Absolution is basically Splinter Cell: Conviction with a few Hitman features like disguises bolted on. And I liked Conviction so I don’t mean that as a negative, necessarily, just be aware that it’s only a Hitman game in the loosest sense.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Absolution is great and I always enjoy going back to it. It's not a Hitman game in the sense that the levels aren't sandboxes and there's no silliness but sometimes I just want to get high and play a straightforward single player game with a strong character and a good enough plot and fun villain and it scratches that itch well. You can kinda breeze through it and just have fun without getting lost in a huge sandbox and overwhelmed with choices.

E: it has some great levels. The 50s town with the greasers and barbershop kill is a favourite.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Monopoly has a mechanic I didn't know about for if you knock someone out

quote:

If you have mortgaged property you also turn
this property over to your creditor but the new owner must at once pay the Bank the amount of interest on the loan, which is 10% of the
value of the property. The new owner who does this may then, at
his/her option, pay the principal or hold the property until some later
turn, then lift the mortgage. If he/she holds property in this way until
a later turn, he/she must pay the interest again upon lifting the mortgage.

Which is kind of lovely because it can create a deathspiral but let me squeak ahead to a victory after 13 hours so it's my new favorite thing about a game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
How the gently caress have you been playing 13 hours of Monopoly

It's not a FAST game, but it's not gonna take longer than like, two or three hours, surely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Len posted:

Monopoly has a mechanic I didn't know about for if you knock someone out

Which is kind of lovely because it can create a deathspiral but let me squeak ahead to a victory after 13 hours so it's my new favorite thing about a game

Impressive that you got to experience game of Monopoly using all the real rules.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

How the gently caress have you been playing 13 hours of Monopoly

It's not a FAST game, but it's not gonna take longer than like, two or three hours, surely.

Poor life decisions

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Poor life decisions

Wow it's Hell.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Monopoly is like unfunnest game ever narrowly beating out Russian roulette

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

Wow it's Hell.

We didn't even know who would win until hour 12. My friends girlfriend taking out my fiancee and having to pay out to the bank hosed her. She chose to bring all the properties online giving her 4 complete edges worth of monopolies but the cost was she was left with like $500 in 5s and 1s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Monopoly is like unfunnest game ever narrowly beating out Russian roulette

Isn't it meant to intentionally show how capital fucks over everyone? It's not meant to be a fun game, it's meant to be a social lesson. How it got to be so popular in the first place is kind of mystifying.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Because A) the original version got more or less stolen and modified and B) people miss the point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

House rules make it last significantly longer than it needs to. A guy I know at work says it never ends but he uses free parking and if you land on go you get double the money. The point of the game is to take money out of the economy and get everyone except one person into death spirals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Isn't it meant to intentionally show how capital fucks over everyone? It's not meant to be a fun game, it's meant to be a social lesson. How it got to be so popular in the first place is kind of mystifying.

I mean I can name several dozen video games off the top of my head which are body popular and built around loving over people in 'realistic' or realistic ways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you land on a property and dont buy it, it goes to auction. That rule alone cuts like an hour off the game time.

And you can buy houses at any time, so if someone lands on a property you own you can slap down the houses only once they land there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Capitalism attacked and stole the game from the person who made it originally and all those house rules like free parking money are terrible and add an entire run of Avengers Endgame to the time it takes to play it once.