Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
humans first discovered coastlines in 1999, it would doom humanity forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

won’t someone please think of the dinosaurs

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

drat i was thinking it go straight for the carolinas as a category 1, never imagined it'd hit as a category 5 in miami, any possibility of it going further westward?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Chuka Umana posted:

drat i was thinking it go straight for the carolinas as a category 1, never imagined it'd hit as a category 5 in miami, any possibility of it going further westward?

It all depends on if it stalls and if it turns north, models already had it more north than it is now, but it is slowing down as predicted. Wont really know until tomorrow either way but if i was on the east coast of Florida id be a little concerned.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

El Burbo posted:

Imagine putting up hurricane shutters with T-Rex arms

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It all depends on if it stalls and if it turns north, models already had it more north than it is now, but it is slowing down as predicted. Wont really know until tomorrow either way but if i was on the east coast of Florida id be a little concerned.

lol I’m gonna die

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

so this thing is a cat 5 now eh?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

get this

cat5e

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

El Burbo posted:

They should've got a handle on their massive consumerism i.m.o.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

more like acabo island

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Clearwater is the midwest of Florida. It's like Miami Beach but instead of clubs and drugs there's fried everything
Is it still 100% owned by Scientology?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

ur arms would be pretty saur

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

NHC at 5PM posted:

...EYE OF CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE DORIAN CRAWLING OVER THE ABACOS
ISLANDS IN THE BAHAMAS...
...DORIAN'S FURY NOW AIMING TOWARD GRAND BAHAMA...

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/craigtimes/status/1168281375109255168

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

OhFunny posted:

I hope Jose will be ok.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

No, Jax is the deep south of Florida

Clearwater is the midwest of Florida. It's like Miami Beach but instead of clubs and drugs there's fried everything

Clearwater is too tropical

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

lmao

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ayin posted:

Is it still 100% owned by Scientology?

yes, but it's only really apparent downtown. Which is completely dead, no one ever goes there, though if you drive around at night you'll see a line of "shops" that all have different names and facades but clearly the exact same pastel-colored design template and neon-colored lighting scheme. And there's nothing for sale inside, it's just scientology offices/torture chambers

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
very cyberpunk-apocalyptic vibe from this

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yes, but it's only really apparent downtown. Which is completely dead, no one ever goes there, though if you drive around at night you'll see a line of "shops" that all have different names and facades but clearly the exact same pastel-colored design template and neon-colored lighting scheme. And there's nothing for sale inside, it's just scientology offices/torture chambers

isn't america great?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
i was just thinking about how rad it would be to have some sort of forever perpetual hurricane like the dark spot on neptune or the great red spot on jupiter

i wonder how long it would take us to adapt to it always being around

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sing Along posted:

very cyberpunk-apocalyptic vibe from this

First Paradise, now Hope Town. If we lose Truth or Consequences that might be the end of the road.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Floor is lava posted:

i was just thinking about how rad it would be to have some sort of forever perpetual hurricane like the dark spot on neptune or the great red spot on jupiter

i wonder how long it would take us to adapt to it always being around

A couple of weeks, at most

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Hopetown downtown area is home to the colonial ‘Cholera Cemetery[4]’.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Brain Curry posted:

I guess shutters with little arms on them would be pretty funny but I doubt many people would notice during a hurricane

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Huragok posted:

lol I’m gonna die

Semper posts

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

how many people are gonna die in this

i assume a lot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1168297179363958784

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

triple sulk posted:

how many people are gonna die in this

i assume a lot

probably already 100+ dead in abaco/hopetown, nothing confirmed yet because their communication infrastructure is literally 100% destroyed.

also it’s hitting florida and floridians die just drinking water so..

:getin:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2010 census data:
abaco: 17k
grand bahama: 51k

100% located below the surge level of this storm

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

2010 census data:
abaco: 17k
grand bahama: 51k

100% located below the surge level of this storm

also a majority probably can’t afford a plane ticket to wherever to evacuate.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

soy posted:

Just hold onto a nearby log and you'll rapidly be evacuated far, far from the island.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah the wealthy residents likely all sailed to the caymans or bermuda or something on their boats, the tourists flew home

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

soy posted:

I flew out of Charleston yesterday and ran into so many boomers who were pissed their cruises were cut short

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soy posted:

yeah I had to explain this to my wife and it was a real fuckin' bummer, then we compared typhoons in china to this and it was even more frustrating cause it was like "why doesn't the government do so and so" and all I could say was, uh, lol muh free markets

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The queen of England should rescue her loyal Bahamian subjects and its a travesty she didn't

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burn Zone posted:

I flew out of Charleston yesterday and ran into so many boomers who were pissed their cruises were cut short

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Burn Zone posted:

Reading comments on Twitter I laughed at the person who thought nobody would be upset if cruise ships were repurposed for rescue because who'd be selfish enough to care about their cruise being terminated for humanitarian reasons. I have no idea what world they're living in, but it sure sounds nice.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Burn Zone posted:

I’m glad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos