Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Cavauro posted:

ddp's daughter Montanna Bischoff has stayed out of the limelight, even on social media

I got this joke. It was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nystral posted:

I got this joke. It was very good.
Agreed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I didn't like the implications about people who swing, but the craftsmanship of the joke was such that I decided I'd give it a pass.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my post went through with goddaughter corrected to daughter. i did not notice. it's well known that ddp is a longtime and great friend of eric bischoff who is the father of montanna bischoff.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

We had all been talking about Diamond Dallas Page

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would pay an unreasonable amount of money for this shirt

Eddy was better in WCW, as far as in-ring goes, don't @me (and he wasn't as much of a roid monster :smith:)

AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES

bootleg Slamboree '98 VCD

if Hogan didn't gently caress the ending up, Sting in 96 and 97 would be my favorite story line ever

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I would wear the gently caress out of that nwo shirt.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Critical posted:

I would wear the gently caress out of that nwo shirt.

extremely :same:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
What sort of personal problems led to Road Dogg leaving the WWF and winding up in early TNA? Why didn't post-sale WWE show any interest in Konnan?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

joshtothemaxx posted:

What sort of personal problems led to Road Dogg leaving the WWF and winding up in early TNA? Why didn't post-sale WWE show any interest in Konnan?

Konnan was Max Moon. He was miserable, and told Vince as such. Vince, having spent a fair bit of money on the outfit for the character, cut Konnan loose. Then gave the character to Paul Diamond.

I imagine neither Vince or Konnan think much of one another.

I believe Roadie had a substance abuse problem. Not 100% sure.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 31, 2019

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah Road Dogg's been pretty open about the drug/alcohol problems that got him fired from WWE

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Thanks y’all. Rewatching some very early TNA and always surprised at the amount of talent they squandered even back then

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Here’s a question:

So at Summerslam 92, Road warrior Hawk was supposedly so zooped out of his gourd on muscle relaxers and painkillers, which is why the finish was Animal giving IRS a power slam and why Hawk was selling for Dibiase for most of the match.

So how the gently caress did he ride a motorcycle to the ring?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He also parked the bike too close to Animal's, so Animal had to get off on the opposite side, and ended up burning his leg on the tailpipe so bad, that his tights had burned into his skin.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

He also parked the bike too close to Animal's, so Animal had to get off on the opposite side, and ended up burning his leg on the tailpipe so bad, that his tights had burned into his skin.

Goddamn. I know Hawk was the better wrestler and promo but Animal was a saint for dealing with him and I can’t blame him for telling Hawk to gently caress off for a little while.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tangentially related, I actually had no idea Animal and Johnny Ace had a third brother who also wrestled until like a week ago.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Reading the MOTY/WMOTY thread, there was a discussion over how a hardcore match was worked safer than a non-hardcore one. Now, I usually dislike hardcore matches because I get worked all the time (I also watched one live wherein a wrestler got suplexed into a boxful of thumbtacks, and he posted on socmed about that one thumbtack that was stuck to his body long after he had already packed up and gone home, ANYWAY...), but how does one work a hardcore match to be "safe"? Are there ways to tell?

Also. There was this WWE PPV(?) in the early-mid 2000s where Kane and Shawn Michaels had a feud, and Kane injured Michaels by putting a steel chair around his neck and struck him (I forgot how), making him cough blood. It was pretty graphic. Which show was that?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Schneider Heim posted:

Reading the MOTY/WMOTY thread, there was a discussion over how a hardcore match was worked safer than a non-hardcore one. Now, I usually dislike hardcore matches because I get worked all the time (I also watched one live wherein a wrestler got suplexed into a boxful of thumbtacks, and he posted on socmed about that one thumbtack that was stuck to his body long after he had already packed up and gone home, ANYWAY...), but how does one work a hardcore match to be "safe"? Are there ways to tell?

Lots of things that look awful like staple guns or blading are probably safer than taking a ton of bumps. Garbage cans and sheet plates are very thin and kendo sticks are sticks.

Chairs are dangerous but you can protect yourself from most of it.

Basically if you're doing a walk and brawl it's probably safer than a Kenny omega match.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Hardcore and Deathmatch wrestlers get a lot of stitches and probably have to be careful about blood loss but they don't get a lot of broken bones and torn muscles.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Terry Funk extended his career by like 20 years with walk-and-brawls that involved a lot of superficial blood and little-to-no actual bumps. When worked right, the "hardcore style" is way less dangerous than people make it out to be.

There's a reason Jericho stopped trying to wrestle like a junior heavyweight and started embracing his dad bod and plunder matches.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 2, 2019

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Schneider Heim posted:

I don't think you can make a hardcore match "safe," but you can minimize risks by leaving as little to chance as possible. everything gimmicked, smoke and mirrors, safe bumps, etc. Bumping on thumbtacks and stapling your forehead hurts but it's not going to actually injure you.

there were also a good amount of spots in the Cracker Barrel clash where if the guy doing the move hosed up, he would just hurt himself instead of his opponent. i think that's the best way to do it. it's not my business to tell people what to do with their own bodies in a wrestling ring, but it becomes an issue when recklessness endangers other careers and lives

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 2, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the helpful replies. The more I learn about wrestling, the more I appreciate the craft put into it. "Putting their bodies on the line" is such a stock phrase in commentary but it really does ring through as even the simplest of bumps could injure someone.

One of our local wrestlers disappeared from the scene for a year and a half just because he stomped wrong and tore his ACL (he's a big guy).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has anything come out about Vince McMahon’s feelings about Jericho? Especially now that he’s AEW champion?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gaz-L posted:

Tangentially related, I actually had no idea Animal and Johnny Ace had a third brother who also wrestled until like a week ago.

You might know this already, but one of Animal's sons was also in the NFL for 5 years as a linebacker

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Laurinaitis

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Last week? I thought he retired 20 years ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Last week? I thought he retired 20 years ago.

:golfclap:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has anything come out about Vince McMahon’s feelings about Jericho? Especially now that he’s AEW champion?

chris said he was "banned from WWE" after going to AEW and that seems relatively true since he's been removed from promotional materials and intros and things. he also isn't allowed to have WWE talent on the podcast anymore. Vince likes chris though and he was supposedly supportive of his NJPW excursion so I kind of doubt he cares that much. i don't believe they've actually talked since he signed to AEW

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

chris said he was "banned from WWE" after going to AEW and that seems relatively true since he's been removed from promotional materials and intros and things. he also isn't allowed to have WWE talent on the podcast anymore. Vince likes chris though and he was supposedly supportive of his NJPW excursion so I kind of doubt he cares that much.

As much as WWE are aware of New Japan, they don't really see them as serious competition outside the Japanese marketplace, I don't think, so Jericho doing dates for them when he's not signed to WWE wasn't a big deal. Him signing to a rival promotion with a national TV deal on Turner is probably a very different beast in Vince's eyes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Isn't Mick Foley in terrible shape? I guess that might be because of the bumps, though.

I fear for Jeff Hardy's future, too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't Mick Foley in terrible shape? I guess that might be because of the bumps, though.

I fear for Jeff Hardy's future, too.

Mick Foley should have retired after his series of hardcore matches stemming from One Night Stand '05 & '06. It was already disgusting when he and Flair were bleeding all over one another in TNA in the late '00s.

If Foley is to do anything physical at this point, it should be relegated to something like Bray Wyatt attacking him recently. Not putting him in an actual match where he may be set on fire or brained with a chairshot.

EDIT: And thank you for the Jericho/Vince stuff. I knew Vince had a soft spot for Jericho, which is why I figured I hadn't seen anything about him badmouthing him even as he joined AEW.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, it probably wasn't the usual hardcore stuff that ruined Foley, it was his habit of taking a flying bump onto concrete as a standard Cactus Jack spot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, it probably wasn't the usual hardcore stuff that ruined Foley, it was his habit of taking a flying bump onto concrete as a standard Cactus Jack spot.

Well, there's Royal Rumble '99...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Low Desert Punk posted:

chris said he was "banned from WWE" after going to AEW and that seems relatively true since he's been removed from promotional materials and intros and things. he also isn't allowed to have WWE talent on the podcast anymore. Vince likes chris though and he was supposedly supportive of his NJPW excursion so I kind of doubt he cares that much. i don't believe they've actually talked since he signed to AEW

Jericho probably wouldn’t even be in AEW if Vince had let him book NXT talent on the Jericho cruise. That really seems to be the breaking point that killed the relationship.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future, because Vince will tend to bring people back if there's money to be made, but it seems like Hunter will hold grudges longer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future, because Vince will tend to bring people back if there's money to be made, but it seems like Hunter will hold grudges longer.

There's also multiple stories in Jericho's books of HHH being a dick to Jericho. There's the story of Jericho accidentally potatoing Chyna and it not being made an issue until HHH said something to Vince. Then HHH accusing Jericho of "thinking he knows everything and that's why you have nuclear heat". Then, when Jericho did the Save Us return thing, HHH kept joking about how "Oh, haven't you heard? Jericho's gonna save the business." When Jericho main evented Wrestlemania against HHH, Jericho had to go to Vince personally because his payoff for the PPV was considerably less than HHH's (Vince relented, but only after pointing out that he felt that people were there to see HHH win the title).

HHH is a petty, petty man.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Well, there's Royal Rumble '99...
I think there's a material difference between 'hardcore' and 'deathmatch' wrestling, and while historically "unprotected shots to the head" were part of both, most modern 'hardcore' stuff I've seen avoids them. I say this as someone who doesn't watch CZW or whatever though.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

deathmatch poo poo is just about pain tolerance and getting a rush from being a freak, it's awesome. tacks dont hurt that bad, tables make the bumps safer unless they gash your back like bob holly, cuts heal up. the only way they're any more dangerous than a "real" match is just that poo poo can go wrong and you get your armpit sliced up and almost die. well misawa and perro aguayo jr died from taking regular bumps. may they rest in peace.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

yea ok posted:

deathmatch poo poo is just about pain tolerance and getting a rush from being a freak, it's awesome. tacks dont hurt that bad, tables make the bumps safer unless they gash your back like bob holly, cuts heal up. the only way they're any more dangerous than a "real" match is just that poo poo can go wrong and you get your armpit sliced up and almost die. well misawa and perro aguayo jr died from taking regular bumps. may they rest in peace.

That said, Jimmy Lloyd had one hell of a close call last year, that was scary

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

Cornette has talked about this. I don't really know which is worse.Vince isn't just a "it's all business" kinda guy. He brings people back when he can use them and lord it over them. He doesn't forgive and forget more than anyone else, he just has a different way of being petty and manipulative. He wants to have power over everyone, especially those who have supposedly wronged him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That said, Jimmy Lloyd had one hell of a close call last year, that was scary

yeah for sure. i think it's dangerous to continue to have to raise the bar and poo poo liek the scissor board has a high variance of danger (or maybe im a mark, idk) but just generally speaking deathmatches just look gross rather than being actually unsafe. not speaking for like the ones with two guys who have wrestled for 10 days getting booked on an ian rotten show