Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Burn Zone posted:

I flew out of Charleston yesterday and ran into so many boomers who were pissed their cruises were cut short

Cruise ships are basically floating retirement homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Floor is lava posted:

i was just thinking about how rad it would be to have some sort of forever perpetual hurricane like the dark spot on neptune or the great red spot on jupiter

i wonder how long it would take us to adapt to it always being around

would be hella useful to have a stormlight archives'esqe everstorm, you could harvest insane energy through gravity batteries and catching all the water

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i dont understand the appeal of cruises but i guess just having one website to visit to handle a whole trip is probably most of the appeal to lazy people that want to say they went somewhere and dont mind diarrhea as a trade off for never having to leave their hotel

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Complications posted:

Reading comments on Twitter I laughed at the person who thought nobody would be upset if cruise ships were repurposed for rescue because who'd be selfish enough to care about their cruise being terminated for humanitarian reasons. I have no idea what world they're living in, but it sure sounds nice.
lol. yeah too bad we're in hellworld

soy posted:

also a majority probably can’t afford a plane ticket to wherever to evacuate.
yeah not just that, but then expenses once you evacuate. hotels in most places are far outside of what they can afford even for a short-amount of time, plus food etc. what loving country in our hell-world is gunna be benevolent enough to go "yeah sure we'll fly you guys all out and all 60k of you people can just hangout here for a week or two till it blows over" when most countries have insane housing shortages as it is. i mean it would be good and humanitarian to do so but Number must go up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

i dont understand the appeal of cruises but i guess just having one website to visit to handle a whole trip is probably most of the appeal to lazy people that want to say they went somewhere and dont mind diarrhea as a trade off for never having to leave their hotel

https://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/HarpersMagazine-1996-01-0007859.pdf

my top 3 dfw essay

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

you get treated like a god while you're on a cruise ship, but the food and entertainment is usually really simple and uninteresting but not bad in any way, you get to visit semi-exotic places but in a curated and structured way so you never have to run into anyone who won't be there to help you (or speak something other than english)

it's the perfect boomer vacation

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

apparently disney cruise stranded 100 employees in the storm that they could have evac'd and they are currently in the eyewall.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

apparently disney cruise stranded 100 employees in the storm that they could have evac'd and they are currently in the eyewall.

:911:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

yeah not just that, but then expenses once you evacuate.

I mean sleeping on the street wherever is better than drowning but yeah we should be sending relief asap.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Dying for Disney Cruise Profits

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao pro click

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm sure Bob Iger will gift their families free lifetime Disney+ subscriptions as bereavement for their loss

https://twitter.com/dm_meg/status/1168241058100207617

https://twitter.com/dm_meg/status/1168304680096714752

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

mastershakeman posted:

The queen of England should rescue her loyal Bahamian subjects and its a travesty she didn't

nah the commonwealth only exists to prevent left wing governments from taking power, not actually to help its citizens

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

he's literally a bot, just a brandsona hyping everything in sight

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

The queen of England should rescue her loyal Bahamian subjects and its a travesty she didn't

I genuinely wonder if the Queen can name all sixteen countries she's the head of state of

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I genuinely wonder if the Queen can name all sixteen countries she's the head of state of

she still definitely just says "england and the colonies"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

This is p much the most on topic post for the spam

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Sing Along posted:

very cyberpunk-apocalyptic vibe from this

Nope Town

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

well, fifteen now

edit huh I forgot about Belize and Jamaica

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lastgirl posted:

he's literally a bot, just a brandsona hyping everything in sight

please do not insult robots by comparing them to the terrible human donald john trump thank u

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sad to hear that dorian stopped gaining strength as soon as my circle was dispelled but on the other hand im glad to learn of how powerful my psychic energies really are

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Now if only you could use your powers ..... for Jeb!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Addamere posted:

sad to hear that dorian stopped gaining strength as soon as my circle was dispelled but on the other hand im glad to learn of how powerful my psychic energies really are

it just went down a few millibars again so

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZeusCannon posted:

Now if only you could use your powers ..... for Jeb!

my ritual casting has only started up since marianne entered the democratic primary race, and was only made possible by embracing the divine feminine

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

it just went down a few millibars again so

om kali mah

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
my brother lives in ormond beach Florida (by Daytona), and my parents live near the coast in South Carolina.

this dumbass storm has them both moving inland.

my moving hundreds of miles inland seems to have been the smart move.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/jhomenuk/status...326242497638401

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

:sigh: I knew not to get my hopes up, but that's going to miss Mar-a-lago entirely

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Doc Walrus posted:

:sigh: I knew not to get my hopes up, but that's going to miss Mar-a-lago entirely

unless it tracks further westward

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SeanWTHR/status/1168336046339366913?s=20

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

most of the models still have it suddenly turning north but who knows

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the tabs one where it just saws florida in half is nuts

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
ABC news crew apparently made it out to Abaco, this sounds really, really bad.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

hope its not :evilbuddy:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

the tabs one where it just saws florida in half is nuts

saw florida in half then veer out to the atlantic to go poo poo on the uk on brexit day

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hmm this seems bad for miami

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I hope it lands in Palm Beach and then just parks there for a day or two

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Floor is lava posted:

i was just thinking about how rad it would be to have some sort of forever perpetual hurricane like the dark spot on neptune or the great red spot on jupiter

i wonder how long it would take us to adapt to it always being around

The areas nearest, but still within safe distance, would make a killing in tourism money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

shadowvine118 posted:

The areas nearest, but still within safe distance, would make a killing in tourism money.

:hmmyes: