Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All I'm saying is maybe Joseph Smith had some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Guys come on, it's clearly St. Peter. :colbert:

edit: okay but for real, Gyro caught up with Diego because he let Jesus take the wheel.

...Horse? Horse.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

BaDandy posted:

Gyro caught up with Diego because he let Jesus take the wheel.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The race being a covert attempt to get stand users to collect the corpse parts of Jesus Christ that are spread across America is purestrain Jojo's.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man, imagine having to lug a spine, left arm, and two eyeballs all the way to loving Kansas.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess he had to use a bag too. Just walking across America with a bag full of Savior parts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Driving Mr. Saint: A Trip Across America with Holy Bones

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I want off Mr. Holy Bones Wild West Ride

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

too bad, the best is yet to come. strap in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I need to catch up, we're gonna get to some great poo poo this week.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

achillesforever6 posted:

I want off Mr. Holy Bones Wild West Ride

This would make a great subtitle for the thread

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm still catching up, but one thing I remembered from the first time I read this is just how bizarre and out-of-nowhere Gyro flattening his and Johnny's bodies with the Spin in Scary Monsters Part 2 is. When I originally read it I assumed it was explained but nope!

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
there are parts of the human being that are still a great mystery

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it was jellyfish

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, Gyro applying the Spin to his skin so it deflects a bullet impact: That's bullshit, but I believe it.

The flattening thing is just hilarious nonsense.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it was jellyfish

No it was dinosaur

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Oh yeah I'd forgot about most of Gyro's spin bullshit so it's like reading a lot of this for the first time again. For all the praise SBR gets, Gyro's spin abilities sometimes put Giorno's bullshit to shame. Which, well, makes kinda sense since the spin is a kind of hamon analogue and by part 2 hamon could basically also do whatever.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And yet despite all of a revolver bullet's rotational energy it can't kill a man with a shot to the head past 15 metres :confused:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

YF-23 posted:

Oh yeah I'd forgot about most of Gyro's spin bullshit so it's like reading a lot of this for the first time again. For all the praise SBR gets, Gyro's spin abilities sometimes put Giorno's bullshit to shame. Which, well, makes kinda sense since the spin is a kind of hamon analogue and by part 2 hamon could basically also do whatever.

the spin is a lot less dumb overall than giorno's poo poo because it generally follows a consistent base and isn't just 'araki does his best impersonation of mark trail' and one can usually reason out why what's happening is happening

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The spin is also more interestingly applied than "I made a ladybug that was actually the shark repellent I need right now."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i can only read johnny's praise for the cheese song as deep sarcasm

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it all depends on if Gyro is on-key or not. Because, like, it's 1890, everyone's been on the road for weeks, and until they find a Stand user whose Stand power is 'is a Walkman' this is all Johnny's going to get. So if he's a good singer, or decent or even passable you encourage that poo poo to break up the monotony of crows yelling at each other. However travelling with a man who sings off key is an agony like no other and I would leap out of that horse to strangle him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I think it all depends on if Gyro is on-key or not. Because, like, it's 1890, everyone's been on the road for weeks, and until they find a Stand user whose Stand power is 'is a Walkman' this is all Johnny's going to get. So if he's a good singer, or decent or even passable you encourage that poo poo to break up the monotony of crows yelling at each other. However travelling with a man who sings off key is an agony like no other and I would leap out of that horse to strangle him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy7J9q-eWmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQupEyj74Vc

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's a strangling.

Edit: it's not even the first time i've seen two folks travelling through the wilderness singing about Italian food

https://youtu.be/Y-Glun66Krk

Get on her level, Gyro

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 2, 2019

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Oh yeah, Johnny's expanded backstory is dark as hell. That's loving rough.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

GimmickMan posted:

The spin is also more interestingly applied than "I made a ladybug that was actually the shark repellent I need right now."

True, you don't often see people in comics using their superpowers for brushing their teeth

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

YF-23 posted:

Oh yeah, Johnny's expanded backstory is dark as hell. That's loving rough.

it's a definite contrast to jonathan's whole deal. there's absolutely reason for him to be the way he is in being so driven.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also like how Johnny refers to the Triple Crown as a single race when it's actually three races.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3OMjs4Y7a8

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Arist posted:

Like, Gyro applying the Spin to his skin so it deflects a bullet impact: That's bullshit, but I believe it.

The flattening thing is just hilarious nonsense.

It's like when you spin pizza dough, it gets flat. This makes perfect sense, because Gyro is from Naples.

YggiDee posted:

until they find a Stand user whose Stand power is 'is a Walkman'

I mean, the guy they fight right after that has the ability to store sounds.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 2, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

By the way

Lesson 4: Pay your respects

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really like sugar mountain as an arc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I really like that our cliffhanger for this week is "This lady's bi"

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

both fights (In a Silent Way and Tattoo You!) were especially compelling courtesy of some amazing panelwork; like, i would get a poster of this:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Can't wait to read these, In A Silent Way is fantastic and Sugar Mountain might honestly be my favorite arc in Part 7.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tattoo you is another example of a cool group stand like tomb of the boom. araki really starts pulling out some novel poo poo in part 7 and it rules. sugar mountain is also another example of him working an old fable/superstition into his work.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This week is so loving good, I can't wait.

The ending of Sugar Mountain is maybe the most beautiful scene in JoJo to me. Johnny and Gyro are true partners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWJN01xvdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L86gQQBYSc4