Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My yard apparently has those Bethesda clipping rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D31J_R-ALh8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I bought a secondhand Tyro79 for $40. Has some major jello I gotta figure out, but otherwise flies ok. It's kind of scary to be honest after the hours I put in being reckless with the Tinyhawk-- this thing has some mass and acceleration, I gotta be a lot more careful.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Getting the HX100 setup, and while tightening it up I cut the insulation on the receiver cable with an oversized crescent wrench. Probably fine, but I am more motivated to put in some foam between the FC and VTX now. Also, the 1 of 12 batteries I got for it, that I used during binding setup, the OSD was reporting 5v by the time I got done with binding and such. I check it immediately and one of the cells was at like 2.30v and the other was at 3.55v. The other 11 were all within 0.02v per cell and around 3.8v. Freaky.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

While I'm still having a ton of fun flying my DJI drones for photo/video, I'm becoming more interested in FPV freestyle stuff.

What sims do y'all recommend? Drone Racing League and Liftoff are both about $20, and I can screw around with that a bit and see if I want to get more into it.

Alternate plan would be to just buy a Tinyhawk RTF, but I sort of hate the idea of putting money, even a little bit, into gear that's not good quality; I'd rather buy a "keeper" transmitter, goggles, etc once I know this is something I want to get more into.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rincey posted:

While I'm still having a ton of fun flying my DJI drones for photo/video, I'm becoming more interested in FPV freestyle stuff.

What sims do y'all recommend? Drone Racing League and Liftoff are both about $20, and I can screw around with that a bit and see if I want to get more into it.

Alternate plan would be to just buy a Tinyhawk RTF, but I sort of hate the idea of putting money, even a little bit, into gear that's not good quality; I'd rather buy a "keeper" transmitter, goggles, etc once I know this is something I want to get more into.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Picasim is free and works with Taranis

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Rincey posted:

I've been real happy with Velocidrone.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Rincey posted:

Honestly a second set of cheap goggles is a great thing to have around even after you decide to go all out and get good stuff if you decide this hobby is for you. Great for giving spectators a ride or testing.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
So I got up early to maiden my HX100, but doggo heard me and demanded an early walk. Good thing, because I would have been airborne by the time a sudden unexpected downpour came. I left work only 30 minutes late, and had a few minutes of daylight to spare. First pack was slow laps in a lightly wooded area. Thing is floaty on a full battery. Second pack, stuck to the periphery of a dirt/gravel sports field. It was fine until a dropped in a slow turn and two motors ingested the right sized particulate matter to jam up.

Now I get to play "don't lose the c-clip"!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Stringent posted:

I've been real happy with Velocidrone.

I second the recommendation for Velocidrone, but with a caveat that you need a non-poo poo computer to run it well.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

OK cool. I do have a non-poo poo computer since I'm big into flightsims as well and nothing makes an expensive rig run like poo poo than a modded-to-hell-and-back flightsim install.

Ordered a Taranis QX7S controller radio and will be hitting the sim with that and seeing how it goes. Assuming it's not totally un-fun I'll probably pick up one of the micro whoops next.

aunt jenkins fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 28, 2019

timick
Apr 7, 2016

I use liftoff and it seems OK. Cornering and proximity flying feels rather realistic but gravity effects less so. It doesn't feel real right when you punch the throttle in order to "throw" the quad.
I haven't used any other sims so I can't really say how it compares to Velocidrone.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Rincey posted:

OK cool. I do have a non-poo poo computer since I'm big into flightsims as well and nothing makes an expensive rig run like poo poo than a modded-to-hell-and-back flightsim install.

Ordered a Taranis QX7S controller radio and will be hitting the sim with that and seeing how it goes. Assuming it's not totally un-fun I'll probably pick up one of the micro whoops next.

From someone who struggled with whoops then micros first: if you decide to spend the money on gear, just get a 5” first. Whoops are challenging to fly because indoors is much smaller than you think it is and outdoors is much windier than you think it is. A hawk 5 is like $200 on discount.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I have been flying fixed wing for a while now and had discounted quadcopters as something I'd think was boring. I mean what do you do, just float around and look at stuff? But two weeks ago I built my first quad out of parts I had on hand and ~$90 worth of Banggood specials.

I had RealFlight 8, which I feel has a very good physics model, but their quads are all your granddad's quads-- mostly big giant bulky behemoths. It was good to learn the basics of how poo poo worked, but pretty boring to fly around their sparse environments without purpose. I bought Liftoff and it's fun on a bun. I pretty much learned everything I know about FPV flying from doing "race" mode every night for an hour. It took me a few days before I could complete a lap, partially because I was playing with about 250ms of latency, but mostly because it is really hard to shake the fixed wing muscle memory. "Just point your nose where you want to be" does not work at all on a quad unless you're going at full tilt. I'm objectively 30,000x better at quad flying now and I'm flying more with just the hands doing what they're supposed to instead of having the brain say "ok now lower the throttle so you go down more, and don't yaw just roll slightly... there! now level out". I fly using my Taranis QX7 to a spare receiver that I've connected over USB to be a joystick.

Flying a quad FPV is far more exciting than fixed wing. You have such control over where you're going and can fly sideways as fast as you can any other direction. You can fling yourself and float through gaps. You can cruise super slow to check out where you're going to go. It's just nuts how much fun it is. I do agree that Liftoff feels about right, at least in the limited capacity I can fly. I did just throw my quad into the ground when attempting my first real life dive and the ground came at me much faster than I expected.

Sorry I got so off topic, but (in my order of preference)
Liftoff - Beautiful, fun, some arcadey aspects, decent selection of 5"ish modern quads and online multiplayer
Velocidrone - Lots of user tracks, good simulation, weekly challenge races, okish graphics
Drone Racing League - Good simulation of their heavy race quads
RealFlight 8 - Good simulation, but boring and expensive and lacks modern equipment (but you can make your own if you want to learn their editor).
Does PicaSim even have quads? I didn't see them in there

EDIT: I am considering buying an HDMI to Composite video adapter so I can play Liftoff in my goggles over an FPV link, but Liftoff has ~100ms latency from my controller to seeing the stick move on my 60Hz display, so I think I've got enough latency without adding another wireless link.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 28, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

timick posted:

I use liftoff and it seems OK. Cornering and proximity flying feels rather realistic but gravity effects less so. It doesn't feel real right when you punch the throttle in order to "throw" the quad.
This. Flying a heavy quad in liftoff can feel a bit off since you're just not getting the carryover that you might expect once you're at speed.

CapnBry posted:

Does PicaSim even have quads? I didn't see them in there
It does but it's got no good terrain. It might be good for proximity, i dunno.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

From someone who struggled with whoops then micros first: if you decide to spend the money on gear, just get a 5” first. Whoops are challenging to fly because indoors is much smaller than you think it is and outdoors is much windier than you think it is. A hawk 5 is like $200 on discount.

Yes, I've had this same thought as well (especially since I started by flying heavy DJIs that can brush aside a LOT of wind, so I'm not used to worrying about it much). However, I know my kids are going to want to fly too, so having a little tinyhawk with covered props that they can bang into walls and each other is a good thing.

I did see the Hawk 5 and I think it makes a lot of sense to look at that or another BNF pre-built as a first 5". I fell down a rabbit hole of watching smart people do builds on YouTube last night and it seems like there's about 10,000,000 little things you have to be aware of, parts it helps to have on hand, etcetc or you're gonna have a bad time. Just the interaction of all the different parts and bits and bobs is a bit overwhelming. One step at a time for me.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Tinyhawk works just fine outdoors for what it's worth. Probably don't try to fly if wind is gusting to double digits, but a light breeze is definitely navigable.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Good brushless whoops don't care 'bout no wind. Brushed quads are indoor only.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Good brushless whoops don't care 'bout no wind. Brushed quads are indoor only.

Mobula gonna mobula, no matter what the wind is like. Even better, after you get bored with it, buy a primo 080x frame for it and live dangerously.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CloFan posted:

Tinyhawk works just fine outdoors for what it's worth. Probably don't try to fly if wind is gusting to double digits, but a light breeze is definitely navigable.

Tinyhawk can handle up to about 20 mph gusts without freaking out too bad, so long as you don't try to punch out on a battery that's sagging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJyu5eOh6Q

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How are people actually flying these things? It seems like you would spend more time contacting every hospital with a helipad than actually flying, and then you see videos from people just casually taking off wherever.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

shovelbum posted:

How are people actually flying these things? It seems like you would spend more time contacting every hospital with a helipad than actually flying, and then you see videos from people just casually taking off wherever.

The serious answer is that it kinda depends on which set of rules you go by (ianal, please look this stuff up as it's been a while since I actually read the regs)
vs.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 30, 2019

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm currently enjoying a less than 200g exemption that allows me to fly even in the approach path of an international airport and solo FPV operation. Could go all Smokey Yunick, too, as 200g is the weight in minimum flight configuration. Camera, VTX, prop guards, additional flight safety items are not counted against this limit.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It seems crazy to regulate this stuff as much as they do, I'm within 5 miles of an airport but if a plane is operating at an altitude less than my roof or so I'm already dead!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

shovelbum posted:

It seems crazy to regulate this stuff as much as they do, I'm within 5 miles of an airport but if a plane is operating at an altitude less than my roof or so I'm already dead!

As far as I understand, it depends on the airport. You can't fly in the class D without talking to the airport no matter what, but airports without a B or C you are able to fly near, just with caution and it's not recommended. If an airport does have a class B or C, you need tower permission.

I'm currently limited to 400AGL with the recreational flyer exception so unless I'm right next to an airport, I don't have super much to worry about.

Correction: Only Part 107 flyers can fly in Class B or C with permission unless it's at a "recreational flyer fixed site": https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/airspace_restrictions/flying_near_airports/

ssb fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 30, 2019

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

shovelbum posted:

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free,you can't take the sky from me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

shovelbum posted:

you fly under the tree line or near empty buildings

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I'm currently enjoying a less than 200g exemption that allows me to fly even in the approach path of an international airport and solo FPV operation. Could go all Smokey Yunick, too, as 200g is the weight in minimum flight configuration. Camera, VTX, prop guards, additional flight safety items are not counted against this limit.

I wonder if the planes ever hit those giant crows we got everywhere.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Would be interesting to see if the bird strike statistics were that detailed.

I disassembled the jammed 1103 motors from my HX100 to find the particulate matter in question was ferrous. Didn't think part of this hobby was learning soil tables.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I disassembled the jammed 1103 motors from my HX100 to find the particulate matter in question was ferrous. Didn't think part of this hobby was learning soil tables.
Everyone makes fun of those dumb assholes using launch pads and taking off from their cars/tables until they hit a patch of ferrous dust for the first time. Sticky tack is real good for cleaning your stators.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Finally got my Emax Buzz flying. I love this hobby so much, one of the guys I was flying with loaned me a 6s after I used up my only 5s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icj20-3JQyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saMB8BdisD8

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Alternative pants posted:

Finally got my Emax Buzz flying.

Nice vids, I love that its first flight ended up unglamorously upside down :D

What do you think of the Buzz? I've been looking at those as a possible BNF option if I don't feel like doing a build for a first 5".

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Rincey posted:

What do you think of the Buzz? I've been looking at those as a possible BNF option if I don't feel like doing a build for a first 5".

I always recommend going for a BnF first because it gives you a reference for how to build your own in the future. This is a long-standing debate, though, and is sure to stir up disagreement from somebody.

The Buzz is a bit pricey for a first quad, but I suppose you're paying extra for their U.S. presence and parts availability, and that may be something you're looking for. Diatone may have something cheaper with comparable build quality, or you may even consider something like the Skystars Star-lord 228, which is around $200, seems to have spare frame parts for sale, and has a glowing review from AndyRC on YouTube.

I actually just got a Buzz in the mail today. I saw a barely used one for sale online earlier this week, put in a soft bid not thinking I would get it, and ended up winning. Unfortunately for me, it's the 1700kv model and I only have 4S batteries at the moment. I flight tested it anyway, and so far, it seems pretty decent. There is nothing mindblowing about it compared to my poverty-spec Frog Lite 218 / Racerstar 2306 2700kv build (which cost about $150 to build a year ago). Well, except that the picture is completely noise free, but that's what having non-trash ESCs will get you. I'll reserve further judgement until I try this thing on 6S, as I'm sure it will tighten the PIDs up considerably.

Build quality overall seems to be pretty nice with a chamfered carbon top place, countersunk screws, and a red anodized camera cage, but there's a strange goop adhering the silicone mats to the frame where you would normally expect 3M adhesive and grass and debris get stuck to it easily. Maybe this is a sloppy repair by the previous owner and not something the factory did, but the quad seems too new for that, and it's been done to all three pieces consistently.

I also feel like the fact I can see the camera cage and props in my FPV feed kind of misses the point of why this style of frame exists, but the Buzz is hardly alone with this.

Overall, I wouldn't have bought the Buzz if I didn't find it at a steep discount, but I'm hopelessly frugal. I feel like you can get 95% of the performance and 100% of the build quality for two-thirds the price elsewhere. I mentioned Diatone and Skystars earlier because I briefly had models from each (GT-M515 and G730L respectively) and have been impressed with their build quality and performance. I'm sure there are other good value options out there that aren't Eachine or Furibee (that's a name I haven't used in a while).

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
My 10 pack of uruav 1s HV 550mAh batteries finally came. First time out in this area. Feels a little tight to do acro, at least on stock tune. Enjoy some silly amateur flying. (caution: audio)
https://youtu.be/5c7ENm4gui8

This is where I first tried to fly the HX100. I don't know how to deal with poo poo audio, so I replaced the entire track on youtube. Don't know if I'll ever get good enough to competently fly it here. Maybe with the sun not setting, or with the tinyhawk instead.
https://youtu.be/DGFVOLOQoSo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corky Romanovsky posted:

My 10 pack of uruav 1s HV 550mAh batteries finally came. First time out in this area. Feels a little tight to do acro, at least on stock tune. Enjoy some silly amateur flying. (caution: audio)
https://youtu.be/5c7ENm4gui8

This is where I first tried to fly the HX100. I don't know how to deal with poo poo audio, so I replaced the entire track on youtube. Don't know if I'll ever get good enough to competently fly it here. Maybe with the sun not setting, or with the tinyhawk instead.
https://youtu.be/DGFVOLOQoSo

That looks way too tight to have fun but props for flying, you should come over here I've got a spot that's way more open.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Rincey posted:

The big post just below yours goes into a lot of great detail, but coming from someone who is using this to make the transition from micros to full size, the buzz is great. The only complaints I've got are that it ships with the vtx in pit mode so you'll have to setup a switch in betaflight to fix that. Also, after the 6s flight one of the motors no longer arms. Other than that, great quad, sturdy build, really forgiving for someone used to significantly smaller quads.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I went and added up how much I've spent on this hobby since starting in July. I don't recommend doing that.

Should be getting all my parts in for a 5" build soon... what do you think?

Frame: TBS Source One v0.3
Motors: BrotherHobby Returner R6 2306
Flight Controller: Diatone Mamba F722S
Elec Speed Controller: Diatone Mamba 506
Camera: Caddx Turbo Micro SDR2
VTX: RDQ Mach 1
RX: Frsky XM+
Antenna: Lumineer AXII Stubby
Batteries: Tattu 75C 4S 650mAh
Props (8): Misc
Buzzer: Vifly

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That battery better be 1650mah or you're going to have a bad (short) time.

Also check the KV on those motors. something around 2200-2400 would be good.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 2, 2019

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

2450Kv ! And nope, 650 is what I have.. guess I'll add some higher capacity to the list

timick
Apr 7, 2016

CloFan posted:

Buzzer: Vifly
Excellent choice, well worth every dollar and every gram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CloFan posted:

2450Kv ! And nope, 650 is what I have.. guess I'll add some higher capacity to the list
yeah that KV with a medium prop would get you like 35s of half throttle

once you get normal packs (1300-1800) you'll be fine. I'd get a different camera but that's mostly personal pref. Do try a predator if you get the chance