Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Feinne posted:

I'd also imagine if you believe they work it'll tend to stress you out more when you're lying while connected to one and maybe sort of make it work (I was about to compare it to voodoo in in the previous post since it mostly works if you think it works).

As the Mythbusters episode demonstrated there's also a lot of misunderstanding about how they work at all, so while people in general might understand they're easily fooled they don't necessarily know how that is accomplished.

The theory behind them is that lying should produce certain measurable differences in things like blood pressure, sweating, and heart rate. It sounds good because a lot of people do get nervous when they decide to lie but typically try to hide it. Some people are obviously better liars than others but in theory you should be able to measure a physical change whenever somebody lies. A major snag comes from the fact that other things can make a person nervous and affect those numbers. I imagine being locked in a room with multiple armed police officers is not a stress-free thing especially when they're interrogating you. If you're measuring, say, heart rate then a polygraph operator or the team around could do something deliberately to make your heart rate spike and go "well you said you were not guilty but this spike here indicates that this was a lie so..."

It sounds good but the snag is that polygraph operators claim to have a greater than 90% accuracy which has never, ever been actually demonstrated. They were invented in the 1920's and have since been completely unproven which of course means they aren't scientific at all. Forensics actually has similar issues; some popular forensic techniques have since been debunked to gently caress and back but TV shows love them because they allow something as complex as a crime investigation to be wrapped up neatly in an hour with a total slam dunk.

It isn't that the polygraph is easily fooled it's that it's straight up bullshit in the first place. Even the guy that invented the thing admitted that reading the output data involved a lot of interpretation and intuition rather than actual scientific measurement. That right there makes it not pass the smell test. The fact that no polygraph operator has ever managed to provably get anywhere near the claimed 90% accuracy just makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
polygraphs are no more a science than scrying an animal's intestines is science

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What we really need is a test strip where if the accused's pee turns it blue then they are guilty.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

withak posted:

What we really need is a test strip where if the accused's pee turns it blue then they are guilty.

I think it should turn red.

Fight me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Motronic posted:

I think it should turn red.

Fight me.

Enhanced Interrogation (read: punches to the kidneys) will help with this

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have a new app that will disrupt the criminal justice system. All you need to do is upload the accused's photo, voice sample, and ZIP Code and our revolutionary algorithm can determine guilt or innocence in seconds!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

How is it disruption if it's gonna work the same?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

It puts cops out of business and increases the need for administrators and IT staff, breaking the power of their unions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ruffian Price posted:

It worked for Uber.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The theory behind them is that lying should produce certain measurable differences in things like blood pressure, sweating, and heart rate. It sounds good because a lot of people do get nervous when they decide to lie but typically try to hide it. Some people are obviously better liars than others but in theory you should be able to measure a physical change whenever somebody lies. A major snag comes from the fact that other things can make a person nervous and affect those numbers. I imagine being locked in a room with multiple armed police officers is not a stress-free thing especially when they're interrogating you. If you're measuring, say, heart rate then a polygraph operator or the team around could do something deliberately to make your heart rate spike and go "well you said you were not guilty but this spike here indicates that this was a lie so..."

It sounds good but the snag is that polygraph operators claim to have a greater than 90% accuracy which has never, ever been actually demonstrated. They were invented in the 1920's and have since been completely unproven which of course means they aren't scientific at all. Forensics actually has similar issues; some popular forensic techniques have since been debunked to gently caress and back but TV shows love them because they allow something as complex as a crime investigation to be wrapped up neatly in an hour with a total slam dunk.

It isn't that the polygraph is easily fooled it's that it's straight up bullshit in the first place. Even the guy that invented the thing admitted that reading the output data involved a lot of interpretation and intuition rather than actual scientific measurement. That right there makes it not pass the smell test. The fact that no polygraph operator has ever managed to provably get anywhere near the claimed 90% accuracy just makes it worse.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at by noting that the case where you'd want to use them is also where they're pretty much just total nonsense, since as you note there's way too much confounding stress.

And again as you note, they're just reading tea leaves end of the day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the scene in The Wire (I think?) where they ask the polygraph tech what the results are and he's like ":wtf: that's not how this works, tell me what you want the report to say".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

withak posted:

I like the scene in The Wire (I think?) where they ask the polygraph tech what the results are and he's like ":wtf: that's not how this works, tell me what you want the report to say".

The Wire has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5aIvjNgao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

withak posted:

That sounds familiar, but the more famous polygraph scene from The Wire is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-9PKxBGTY

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

it's fun to go back and watch parts of the wire over the years to slowly realize that the police are the unambiguous villains of the story

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

it's fun to go back and watch parts of the wire over the years to slowly realize that the police are the unambiguous villains of the story

That wasn't perfectly clear the first time you watched it?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
"Get out of the way, I was here first."
"gently caress you, you get outta my way!"

https://www.cnet.com/news/spacex-starlink-satellite-nearly-collides-with-european-satellite/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

"Get out of the way, I was here first."
"gently caress you, you get outta my way!"

https://www.cnet.com/news/spacex-starlink-satellite-nearly-collides-with-european-satellite/

Remember that one scientist that said the biggest hurdle of finding sentient life is that life avoiding/surviving a nuclear holocaust?

Nah. Truth is, the biggest danger is garbage in orbit making planetary escape impossible.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Move fast and break stuff is rather terrifying in LEO.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Move fast and break stuff is rather terrifying in LEO.

Move fast enough and you're no longer in LEO! :v:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
We get FTL with this level of civilization, we're gonna be the IRL Ferengis of the galaxy. "Oh Glorphanuljixplan, here comes some humans to sell us more of their cheap poo poo, shut down the comms." We'll be the guys offering to asphalt your driveway of the Milky Way, the species blasting down the star lanes crapping out advertising on every frequency.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Good thing FTL is physically impossible! :v:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Konstantin posted:

I have a new app that will disrupt the criminal justice system. All you need to do is upload the accused's photo, voice sample, and ZIP Code and our revolutionary algorithm can determine guilt or innocence in seconds!

Fun fact: That's basically the plot of Power Rangers SPD, which takes place in the far off future of 2025:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slb4kDL8l04&t=38s

Funner fact: In the Japanese series it's based on, they straight up execute the accused criminals in the street after using the app!
:commissar:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If I can slap a billboard into it it will happen.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nah, Silicon Valley is just biding its time.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mister Facetious posted:

Remember that one scientist that said the biggest hurdle of finding sentient life is that life avoiding/surviving a nuclear holocaust?

Nah. Truth is, the biggest danger is garbage in orbit making planetary escape impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

quote:

One technology proposed to help deal with fragments from 1 cm to 10 cm in size is the laser broom, a proposed multimegawatt land-based laser that could deorbit debris

laser broom

LASER BROOM

:awesomelon: LASER BROOM :awesomelon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

This is both a serious potential issue but also one that has a lot of serious effort being put into it. The main difficulty is avoiding putting something up there that can contribute to the problem it's attempting to solve.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Motronic posted:

That wasn't perfectly clear the first time you watched it?

I was a filthy liberal back then

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is both a serious potential issue but also one that has a lot of serious effort being put into it. The main difficulty is avoiding putting something up there that can contribute to the problem it's attempting to solve.
You basically have to drag it so it burns up or crashes, because otherwise you're just making dozens of Gravity-like hellparticles right?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

You basically have to drag it so it burns up or crashes, because otherwise you're just making dozens of Gravity-like hellparticles right?

I think technically the issue is that trash stuck in orbit is "falling" "very fast" in a way where its stuck in orbit for a long time; so you what you actually want to do is slow it down so it's orbit actually decays and then burns up etc.

You got big stuff like discarded rocket stages which are big enough you could probably just harpoon it; but this risks spalling which we might want to avoid hence the laser suggestion to decay its orbit.

For smaller stuff the idea is to presumably try to vaporize the smaller stuff, slow it down with the energy imparted to it, or catch it with a strong net.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Raenir Salazar posted:

Cool rear end poo poo
23 Years from now, Earth's Star Force command outfits Star Rangers with Laser Brooms in an attempt to save the planet from Space Trash...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

23 Years from now, Earth's Star Force command outfits Star Rangers with Laser Brooms in an attempt to save the planet from Space Trash...

If you want to see a relative "hard" science fiction space show that deals with collecting/cleaning up dangerous space trash in detail I am told: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetes is a very good anime in that regards.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you want to see a relative "hard" science fiction space show that deals with collecting/cleaning up dangerous space trash in detail I am told: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetes is a very good anime in that regards.

Very much a good read.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Holy poo poo piss, is that what those are? There's a record store at the end of my street that has that logo, and I always thought they'd just inadvertently created a circle of dicks.

See it works.

Circle of Dicks is indeed, the right answer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

wrong thread.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Move fast and break the laws of physics

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
[holovideo of Elon Musk VI head butting a warp core, calling engineers Tritonian snowflakes]

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1168980165168369664

:bisonyes:

But in other news, Uber argues that their drivers' names are company property,

https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1168971930017439744

while also arguing that in no way are their drivers employees of the company.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1169038113756332032

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1168980165168369664

:bisonyes:

But in other news, Uber argues that their drivers' names are company property,

https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1168971930017439744

while also arguing that in no way are their drivers employees of the company.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1169038113756332032

Talk about human resources! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Dude, we own your name, didn't you read the EULA in the app?" :smugbert: