Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

AirRaid posted:

I did the thing!

2016, 2.0 Sport Black with all the toys.

Purty!

Lord Stimperor posted:

We'll be getting a new Mazda 3 by the end of the year. It'll be Soul Red, and I hear bad things about that paint in particular. Is there some accepted best practice on what to do with it? Like, are protective films recommended/must haves for these cars? Can they be machine washed?

I have a 2016 Soul Red and it has a few chips. I do touchless car washes and they seem fine but I don't know from films or anything to do to protect it. It's not too bad overall, just 2-3 small 1 mm chips on the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

More Mazda rumor time: https://www.motor1.com/news/368139/mazda-vision-coupe-production-rumor/

quote:

A road-going version of the Mazda Vision Coupe concept (gallery below) from 2017 will reportedly debut at this year's Tokyo Motor Show in October, according to Best Car without citing a specific source for the info. Like the show car, the production model will allegedly have four-door coupe styling. Sales won't start until 2022, though.

After lots of rumors, this model will reportedly bring a four-door, rear-wheel-drive sedan back to the Mazda lineup. It'll also allegedly use the company's new 3.0-liter inline-six engine.

Rumors have been swirling for years about Mazda developing a rear-drive platform, possibly with plans to share it with Toyota.

Just rumors but it's fun to think about something similar to a resurrected 929 becoming reality. Over the last few months there were rumors that Toyota was going to use the mentioned Mazda platform and engine in a new Lexus coupe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

"four door coupe styling"

So, a sedan?

E: rwd? I'd be truly curious in seeing the sales numbers of rwd sedans vs fwd/awd. I assume the vast majority of people live in states where it snows sometimes. Hell, I'd be interested in this car but rwd kills it for me in Colorado.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 2, 2019

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Got the new screen installed by dealer and the ghosting has gone away, the service adviser noted I had not installed the Q85 battery they "require" due to the ELoop thing and casually mentioned a car burned down recently due to using a non-mazda battery. So a typical service adviser experience.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

regulargonzalez posted:

Purty!

I have a 2016 Soul Red and it has a few chips. I do touchless car washes and they seem fine but I don't know from films or anything to do to protect it. It's not too bad overall, just 2-3 small 1 mm chips on the hood.

I spoke to some car wrapping companies and they want thousands of $$ to put a protective wrap on the car :stonk: so maybe i'll just learn to live with it

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah I have a bunch of chips on my 2018 soul red

But that's because I do a lot of back-country driving for camping and cottages and poo poo. 100% need to repaint the thing if I'm gonna sell it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Fabulousity posted:

More Mazda rumor time: https://www.motor1.com/news/368139/mazda-vision-coupe-production-rumor/

quote:

A road-going version of the Mazda Vision Coupe concept (gallery below) from 2017 will reportedly debut at this year's Tokyo Motor Show in October, according to Best Car without citing a specific source for the info. Like the show car, the production model will allegedly have four-door coupe styling. Sales won't start until 2022, though.

After lots of rumors, this model will reportedly bring a four-door, rear-wheel-drive sedan back to the Mazda lineup. It'll also allegedly use the company's new 3.0-liter inline-six engine.

Rumors have been swirling for years about Mazda developing a rear-drive platform, possibly with plans to share it with Toyota.

Just rumors but it's fun to think about something similar to a resurrected 929 becoming reality. Over the last few months there were rumors that Toyota was going to use the mentioned Mazda platform and engine in a new Lexus coupe.

There should absolutely some turbos on this car, whatever it might be. I'm so down for a Mazyota (Toyzda?) Aristenza MPS

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

I spoke to some car wrapping companies and they want thousands of $$ to put a protective wrap on the car :stonk: so maybe i'll just learn to live with it

I did a precut 3M Pro kit from eBay. It was tedious but not very difficult. Took about seven hours to do it by myself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just replaced the thermostat and burped my first cooling system. Fun! Rear brakes and headlight restoration tomorrow.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What headlight kit and sealant are you using?

After I get around to replacing my front struts I'm tempted to borrow my friends DA buffer to polish my windshield, and then maybe I'll try polishing my headlights.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

What headlight kit and sealant are you using?

After I get around to replacing my front struts I'm tempted to borrow my friends DA buffer to polish my windshield, and then maybe I'll try polishing my headlights.

This one was highly goon recommended

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIZ5HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also picked up some UV resistant clear coat to finish the job so I won't have to re do it in 6 months.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's the exact one I have gotten several uses out of, works very well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think you posted about it so I bought it. How long did it take you per side?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

20-30min I think?

I think meatpimp recommended it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nice, I have a few hours of free time so I should be able to knock it out. Did you get more than one set of headlights out of it?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I mentioned that one at some point too, you can easily get more than 1 use out of it, I was pretty stingy on continuing to use pads and I took a long drat time on it. Isn’t perfect but much better, high beams especially.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cool, I'd like to re do the Miata's as well so I'll try to be stingy a swell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had the opposite experience, the kit was barely enough for me to do the headlights on my WJ. Still satisfied with it (especially since I paid something like $5) but I then went and bought a shitload of cheap sanding discs to use with it next time around.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rhyno posted:

This one was highly goon recommended

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIZ5HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also picked up some UV resistant clear coat to finish the job so I won't have to re do it in 6 months.

Share the clear coat if you can, please.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Kastivich posted:

I did a precut 3M Pro kit from eBay. It was tedious but not very difficult. Took about seven hours to do it by myself.

Can you do it if you're an idiot with two left hands?

I mean, I could practice on the old car that we're trading in.

Biggest problem is that I have a shared parking garage under our building, so I don't have a proper working space.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can you do it if you're an idiot with two left hands?

I mean, I could practice on the old car that we're trading in.

Biggest problem is that I have a shared parking garage under our building, so I don't have a proper working space.

Yeah that would be tough. You need some really good lighting to make it easier and you don't want to be in the sun to get it.

On the plus side you can't really hurt the car doing it. But you could be out $400 if you drop your material on the ground or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Share the clear coat if you can, please.

This is what my friend uses and his headlights look amazing at all times

I have not done my headlights yet as we went to the movies instead yesterday.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Im pretty bad with spray finishes, how many coats of that do you use and what kind of sanding and polishing do you have to do in between and after the final coat?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Im pretty bad with spray finishes, how many coats of that do you use and what kind of sanding and polishing do you have to do in between and after the final coat?

He has yet to walk me through that but if I recall it's three coats.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Hey folks, I have a 2012 Mazda 5 that's been giving me some grief the past year or so. It's got 100k miles on it and about a year and a half ago I swapped out the battery. Not long after the transmission started downshifting erratically, specifically from 4th to 3rd. This is an auto, so I figured maybe the transmission is going out?

What happens is when I drive it up to 40mph (it's in 4th at this point) then slam on the accelerator the car jerks, gets into 3rd, then accelerates. The weird part is when I drive it using "sport mode" and downshift from 4th to 3rd there's no issue with the transition.

Being a basic DIY guy I started reading and couldn't find anything other than "the transmission is hosed" so I started swapping out parts thinking things would be OK. I swapped spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and had the transmission fluid flushed, all to no avail. Someone mentioned the battery probably reset the ECU on some weird settings so I disconnected it for 30 mins, hooked it back up, let it do its thing, and the problem is still there :(

Is there anything else I can try before taking this to a mechanic? At this point I'm even debating if I should just buy a new car (this is my wife's primary car taking the kids to/from school so it needs to not have issues like this..). I can't seem to find anyone else with this model+year with this issue.

There's no check engine light and when I plug in an OBD2 reader it's clean. Help! :sadpeanut:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did the headlights

Standard 3M kit and two coats of the above clear coat. Looks great right? Too bad I added the recommended third coat of clear and now it's orange peeled to all hell! God drat it I could have gotten away without sanding them if I'd just left it as is!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Can you sand/polish out the orange peel, or is it because the lower layers of clear didn't cure long enough before you applied the next coats?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe I can sand it out, I'm not sure if it needed to wait longer between coats.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dumb question, why do the headlights haze up on some cars but not on others? Is it simply draw of luck?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's usually the degraded factory UC coating. Depending on the manufacturer that coating will have different length of life.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I’d guess exposure and intensity of sun probably plays a role too, though I haven’t looked to see if cars in say, PA, fare better than Texas. I do know the sun here has been brutal on mine though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Dumb question, why do the headlights haze up on some cars but not on others? Is it simply draw of luck?

Older glass ones don't haze up.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I replaced my front struts today. Took... Way too long to do the front driver side. That is until I went and bought a big loving sledge hammer. The passenger side took maybe 1/4th of the time.

Also my whole body is sore.

Next up: polishing the headlights and windshield.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I replaced my front struts today. Took... Way too long to do the front driver side. That is until I went and bought a big loving sledge hammer. The passenger side took maybe 1/4th of the time.

Also my whole body is sore.

Next up: polishing the headlights and windshield.

The sledge hammer is a good way to work off the stress from the first one, right?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I mean, yeah, but also hitting the knuckle with a rubber mallet, from various angles for a half-hour accomplished nothing. The sledge got it done in like 5-10 minutes.

The only issue I'm experiencing at the moment is that the driver front brake heat shield got a little bent or damaged (from the hammering in a confined space) and is touching the rotor, for some reason, when I make right hand turns. Need to try sorting that out tomorrow.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I love it when the external forum knowledge for your car is from 2011 and entirely hosted on dead photobucket links

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Guess I should bookmark this thread; just leased a 2019 6 Premium estate. Manual, of course. In Machine Gray.

So far i like it a lot, although all the safety features need a little getting used to.

I'm getting winter wheels for the thing and the question is now: TPMS or not. Mazda, apparently, changed to in-wheel TPMS sensors in 2018. I'm fine with a warning light for four months of the year, but can anyone tell me whether the car will beep and bitch the entire time? Got a good deal on a set of OEM wheels sans tires, the sensors will end up being more expensive than those! I'm tempted to just forego the sensors to save a bit of cash.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get the TPMS poo poo.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

Get the TPMS poo poo.

Care to qualify that statement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
How much does a set of TPMS sensors cost? If it's not super expensive just go for it.

I need some help: I replaced my front struts and endlinks on Saturday. Big loving sledge hammer made the job of separating the strut and knuckle a lot easier. I used the updated Ford strut bearing and top hat that the Mazda forums seemed to recommend.

Anyway, got everything reassembled and drove home from my friend-with-the-lift's house. I heard a slight squeal on right hand turns and assumed I had bent the brake heat shield a bit when hitting the knuckle with a hammer. I could reach through the spoke of my wheel and bend the shield back a little by hand. Then I bounced the driver front fender/suspension and I can hear a very faint squeaking noise like metal on metal or something is binding. I'm not sure what it is and until I can lift the car up and get under it I don't particularly want to drive it.

I have the original LCAs and a little over 90k miles. Could something be binding in those bushings? There aren't a lot of moving parts to check and I torqued everything to spec.