Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Reallycoolname posted:

If it's any consolation, the first hour or so kinda blows and the platforming is almost universally awful.

Beyond that, WOOOOOOOOO :woop:

Considering I enjoyed my first hour, I'm in for a treat.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stop talking about how good Astral Chain is, you guys; my copy's still in the goddamn mail :cripes:.

Okay. I'll talk about something bad. It's taking my quite some time to get used to the controls. I'll get there at some point, but I expected it to be easier. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darth TNT posted:

Okay. I'll talk about something bad. It's taking my quite some time to get used to the controls. I'll get there at some point, but I expected it to be easier. :shrug:

Preset C is so much better, worth trying if you haven't already.

My main issue right now is that my Dark Souls reflexes sometimes make me hold zL thinking it'll lock on, causing me to fly all over the place.

Also the ability that let's you ping the Legion around by flicking the stick is awful, especially for platforming. I've fallen more than once because my thumb brushed the stick at the last minute and my dumb buddy flew off into the sunset.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah you haven't actually gotten to the combat system until you reach File 3 in AC.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stop talking about how good Astral Chain is, you guys; my copy's still in the goddamn mail :cripes:.

Blighttown is an annoying area in Dark Souls. The enemies are all perfectly beatable and my only deaths come from annoyingly falling off the narrow walkways because of the lovely camera. Also the big poison lake is tedious to get through even if it's absolutely possible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blighttown kicks rear end

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Andrast posted:

Blighttown kicks rear end

i'm the really hard to see guys who shoot poison darts at you from 8 miles away... and the poison darts?

they're my posts baby :getin:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blighttown was retroactively improved by DS2 having a far worse version of it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Blighttown was retroactively improved by DS2 having a far worse version of it.

The one in DS2 is even better

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Again it's going fine. And the game's still good, but it's slow going. I'd like to find a more convenient bonfire so I could be a bit more gungho about it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The controls in Astral Chain blow outside of combat but I'm otherwise on top of them... that said I cannot for the life of me use slash to cancel enemy attacks. I spent a good 10 minutes in the training room failing to get anywhere close to cancelling the attack. It remains the one tutorial I haven't completed so far (having finished file 3) and it's bothering me mightily.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

im very ready for ac (animal crossing 2020)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AC is assassin's creed don't @ me!!!

I don't even like assassin's creed

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Split the difference.

Assassin’s Crossing (AssCross)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

AC is assassin's creed don't @ me!!!

I don't even like assassin's creed

Yeah, I keep on seeing AC being posted about and have to remind myself that people aren't talking about Assassin's Creed (this wouldn't be an issue if Ubisoft hadn't plopped out ACIII for the Switch).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Split the difference.

Assassin’s Crossing (AssCross)
AssChain

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AC stands for Team Fortress 2

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

AC stands for Team Fortress 2

Wish we could get that instead of stupid Overwatch.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Is it not about time for team fortress 3

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s time for a lot things from Valve that end in 3.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Is it not about time for team fortress 3

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s time for a lot things from Valve that end in 3.

Valve can't count to three doesn't make video games anymore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's time for Team Fortress 2 Episode 1

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega64 posted:

It's time for Team Fortress 2 Episode 1

Wasn't that when they started adding hats?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

The controls in Astral Chain blow outside of combat but I'm otherwise on top of them... that said I cannot for the life of me use slash to cancel enemy attacks. I spent a good 10 minutes in the training room failing to get anywhere close to cancelling the attack. It remains the one tutorial I haven't completed so far (having finished file 3) and it's bothering me mightily.

If you click in the right stick while in blade stance you can slow time down, makes it a little easier to cancel attacks.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
So far, my DQ11 demo has crashed twice "an unknown error has occured", second time I was most of the way through Kingsbrook so I can't wait to get through that dungeon again...

Sure hope the full game will have patched out these bugs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sonel posted:

If you click in the right stick while in blade stance you can slow time down, makes it a little easier to cancel attacks.

Yeah I tried that but even with that the red retro helix only appears for a fraction of a second before the Chimera is spinning around - I try desperately smacking at that helix when it appears but it appears I need to hit more than one?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Nintendo just sent me an email saying FF8 was available for purchase finally, but it's not. :argh:

I just want to buy and download it so I can play it when it releases damnit.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

PancakeTransmission posted:

So far, my DQ11 demo has crashed twice "an unknown error has occured", second time I was most of the way through Kingsbrook so I can't wait to get through that dungeon again...

That sucks, for what it’s worth I played through it all with no crashes.

Probably a good thing the demo is so long because I highly considered picking this up on the PS4 rather than wait when I got to the end of the demo. But 10 hours is just too much to redo. And it was nice seeing they actually added a few quality of life stuff to the Switch version.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

I got crashes too, and restarting the Switch resolved them. Shouldn't have to do that, but it works at least.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm gonna guess BK hits Smash as an "Available TODAY" announcement for the next Direct.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Put Il Comandante in Smash, you cowardly capitalist pigs!
https://twitter.com/taizou_hori/status/1168243185371557888

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lodin posted:

Put Il Comandante in Smash, you cowardly capitalist pigs!
https://twitter.com/taizou_hori/status/1168243185371557888

Only if they make some of those tank bosses assist trophies and/or battle spirits.

Guerilla War owned.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah I tried that but even with that the red retro helix only appears for a fraction of a second before the Chimera is spinning around - I try desperately smacking at that helix when it appears but it appears I need to hit more than one?

When you slow down time, there's a faint green trail the chimera are swinging there attacks on. So line your blade up with the green line and it will interrupt them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

When you slow down time, there's a faint green trail the chimera are swinging there attacks on. So line your blade up with the green line and it will interrupt them.

Ahhh, will try this out later, thanks!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tesseraction posted:

Ahhh, will try this out later, thanks!

No worries, the combat is ridiculous in every way and equally overwhelming at times. I'm still just sitting in the training area getting the combat down.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

dang the dragon quest 11 demo ended suddenly. i thought it was gonna end at that bit earlier where it played the big promo video.

Are you talking about when it plays the promo video after the Luminary and Eric jump off the cliff? Cause there's way more demo after that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As an aside it's pretty interesting to see some of PlatinumGames' back catalogue resurfacing in Astral Chain - the user interface is clearly a modified version of Nier Automata's, and I'm pretty sure Woman Protag's run animation is 2B's. The sword mode is obviously from MGR:R, and the way enemies are introduced is clearly from Bayonetta (although I'm aware this concept started in DMC, this particular method is much more Bayonetta inspired).

Obviously this isn't me accusing the game of asset flipping - it's kinda neat to see things from previous releases appearing in future ones.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I got Astral Chain for my birthday on Sunday. I've played a little over an hour so far. (just finished the training)
It's very anime and very Platinum. I look forward to digging in deeper. :allears:

happy birthday!

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Reallycoolname posted:

If it's any consolation, the first hour or so kinda blows and the platforming is almost universally awful.

Beyond that, WOOOOOOOOO :woop:

The first 3 cases had me thinking it was just a lame VR Troopers reboot. Now I think it's a p.good VR Troopers reboot.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are you talking about when it plays the promo video after the Luminary and Eric jump off the cliff? Cause there's way more demo after that.

They thought the demo was going to end there.

It did not, and they were surprised by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's the morning and I no read good. :doh: