Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
That's a year old already but still funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3slnXcQmtV8

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nyast posted:

15 tasks completed ?

For 500 people working during 3 months ?

Yeah, I work in academia where there really isn't much expectation of producing anything concrete, and if our results were like this we'd be out of the door.

I also like how in their loving lovely progress report meaningless piddly poo poo like "Organics Shader" that would take any competent graphics programmer very little time to do, and massively complex poo poo like entire features or gameplay modules, are given equal weight.

That's some A++ project management, lemme tell you what.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 2, 2019

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Croberts explaining how he's going to sneakily make his way down and out of the CIG offices when this whole debacle ends

Derek Smart: Lord, it's a miracle! Man up and vanished like a fart in the wind! Nothing left but drat space ship models on the windowsill. And Gary Oldman on the wall [points at the poster] . Let's ask him. Maybe he knows. What say there, fuzzy britches? Feel like talking? Aw, guess not. Why should he be any different? This is a conspiracy. That's what this is. ONE - BIG - drat CONSPIRACY [Smart throws SQ42 figures at the other fudsters]! AND EVERYONE'S IN ON IT! Including him! [throws a space ship at a poster, which goes through; Smart, surprised, pushes his finger, then his entire arm through the hole in the poster, tears it off the wall, and gasps as he sees the tunnel dug in the wall]

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You've got it bad when the SC subreddit isn't positive enough about the game for you

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pack it up fudsters, that cool thread about taking a break from your whining got the prestigious Cool Chris Award.

:owned:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

No one can even conceptualise CIG's tech.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

skeletors_condom posted:

Nah, crobo can still get a few more years of mileage out of this "enterprise." A citcon "jump gate" demo will def bring back many backers onto the one right path (even if the demo is one time only).

There is a reason crobo has been able to pull this off for so long.

Even when they run out of money, he can always pull a Shroud of the Avatar.

Okay... I've checked my grimoire cover to cover and I must be missing the lore entry for Shroud of the Avatar. What happened there? Is there some secret escape hatch built into all crowdfunded vanity projects by washed up has-beens? Or was there some sort of accounting loophole fuckery to recapitalize and keep a braindead project on life support for a few more years? Did they sell the company or IP to a publisher?

Somehow I completely missed the whole Shroud of the Avatar debacle.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Time_pants posted:

Okay... I've checked my grimoire cover to cover and I must be missing the lore entry for Shroud of the Avatar. What happened there? Is there some secret escape hatch built into all crowdfunded vanity projects by washed up has-beens? Or was there some sort of accounting loophole fuckery to recapitalize and keep a braindead project on life support for a few more years? Did they sell the company or IP to a publisher?

In short, Garriott quietly stepped down as CEO and is working on his own stuff instead of the game(which he really wasn't doing anyway), they broke up the main office into people working from their homes, the game went F2P, and SotA's whales have no one to lord over because the number of players is rather small.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

BigMouthSingers posted:

This is end times for Star citizen. There are too many signs. Reducing subscriber revenue, backer exhaustion wiith diminishing pods to harvest, developer frustrations, clearly internal finger pointing at the top. Not to mention the mind numbing stroke producing level of technical debt. The only choice they have is to try and convince everyone that quarterly delivery for the next 15 years is an acceptable way to do business. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some high profile exits from cig soon.

It's over.

It may be over, but at the very least it'll go on for years.

Just look at the threads for Pathfinder Online or Shroud of the Avatar if you want to see the future of Star Citizen. They'll be a "hardcore" group of fans compulsively playing the un-fun and unfinished game as they try to hold on to the dream of the game they backed. There will also be a even smaller group of developers, some of which don't want the dream to die either but most of which are there to separate the last few cents they can squeeze from the remaining morons fans.

When people are invested into their "dream game" for thousands of dollars they wont let the dream die easily. It's also in the developer's best interest to drag it out for as long as possible. The longer it takes for the game to die the longer the backers get used to the idea that their thousands of dollars of pledges/purchases are worthless. If the devs just say "Welp things are hosed your moneys a lost cause now" the backers will get angry and might start talking lawsuits... or bricks through windows.

Star Citizen isn't going to die with a bang, a whimper, or even a retail release. It's going to linger on like a smelly fart until even the most hardcore of backers (even though they'll never admit it) will be glad it's stench is gone and they can finally breathe again.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Time_pants posted:

Well as I mentioned in my last post it's slowly dying.

At this point the remaining few SotA devs no longer have a office and are "temporary" "experimenting with a distributed employment model" (aka working out of their apartments). The sane backers, Garriott and the smart devs have all already left.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Oh god, I still remember this back when it came out...

Viscous Soda posted:

Star Citizen isn't going to die with a bang, a whimper, or even a retail release. It's going to linger on like a smelly fart until even the most hardcore of backers (even though they'll never admit it) will be glad it's stench is gone and they can finally breathe again.

Sounds like the moral of the story for Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 2, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Viscous Soda posted:

It may be over, but at the very least it'll go on for years.

Just look at the threads for Pathfinder Online or Shroud of the Avatar if you want to see the future of Star Citizen. They'll be a "hardcore" group of fans compulsively playing the un-fun and unfinished game as they try to hold on to the dream of the game they backed. There will also be a even smaller group of developers, some of which don't want the dream to die either but most of which are there to separate the last few cents they can squeeze from the remaining morons fans.

When people are invested into their "dream game" for thousands of dollars they wont let the dream die easily. It's also in the developer's best interest to drag it out for as long as possible. The longer it takes for the game to die the longer the backers get used to the idea that their thousands of dollars of pledges/purchases are worthless. If the devs just say "Welp things are hosed your moneys a lost cause now" the backers will get angry and might start talking lawsuits... or bricks through windows.

Years from now, even after CIG definitively shuts its doors, there will be Citizens scrambling to run their own servers and mod Star Citizen into existence. They may even try to have their own crowdfunding campaign to support the effort. Some people will never be able to let this go.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Viscous Soda posted:

Well as I mentioned in my last post it's slowly dying.

Its like a Monty Python sketch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

colonelwest posted:

They may even try to have their own crowdfunding campaign to support the effort.

What is dead can never die.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

No one can even conceptualise CIG's tech.

if ColonelVirus isn't a goon then he's my new favourite

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

colonelwest posted:

Years from now, even after CIG definitively shuts its doors, there will be Citizens scrambling to run their own servers and mod Star Citizen into existence. They may even try to have their own crowdfunding campaign to support the effort. Some people will never be able to let this go.

Soon enough time will have passed that Chris can start a crowdfunding campaign for a new game based on nostalgia for Star Citizen. That's how the game might die its final death: "From the man who brought you the Star Citizen kickstarter comes a bold new vision for PC gaming."

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Croberts explaining how he's going to sneakily make his way down and out of the CIG offices when this whole debacle ends

Will the FUD never end?! It's perfectly normal to dig a tunnel beneath your office. In fact it's the greatest tunnel ever that does things never done before by tunnels and CIG will probably license their innovative tunneling technology to mining companies and the like.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Before this thread is over I think it's only fair if we reveal our secret reddit usernames. I'll go first.

Hi, you may know me as Vertisce. (The clues were always there, the love for big titty anime waifus, the total lack of post quality, etc)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am Tojal, fight me irl

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I feel like claiming That Kazan is going to be a "No, I'm Spartacus" moment, but what the hell, I am That Kazan.

I've been modding and poo poo since the nineties and I got into Microsoft by dating the CEO's niece's second cousin.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Yah the fate of SoTA is how I predict Star Citizen will ultimately end.

Still impressed with Gariott stepping down as CEO without telling anyone. Including the guy he made the new CEO.

Edit: And for the big reveal. I'm Toast.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
BlueGoblin here.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m actually Clifford. I go to sleep every night dressed as an anime school girl, laying on a giant pile of worthless Star Citizen merchandise and exploitatively overpriced PC Gaming accessories that cost me more than an average suburban American home.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

stinch posted:

Bootcha thinks CR lost the car to the dealer somehow, perhaps being tricked into or giving them the title by mistake.

:laffo: I need to listen to the arg cast, but if this is the case, that's even funnier than the original "worked for car dealer" story.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wait, Lethality is that negative about SC development? Is this good for Star Citizen? :ohdear:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Hmm, Lethality now thinks that Star Citizen is bad. Referencing the very solid Lethality Corollary, this must mean that Star Citizen is good now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

monkeytek posted:

BlueGoblin here.

have u tried being more positive my man?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Iafeth posted:

We should do something! Can we just stop spreading FUD for a while? May be even post some good stuff and pretend that we like SC! This way Crobo will be able to gather additional money to postpone the end. I just can't imagine my life without SC-comedy anymore.

:same:

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Yeah, I'm Beet Wagon on Reddit, managed to stir up the place more than once with my FUDsub and guest starring in other subreddits

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I am THAT kazan

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm Kazan. No, not THAT one, a different one.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

peter gabriel posted:

have u tried being more positive my man?

Best part was I usually posted more angry than the person I was asking to be more positive!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
joe blobers clocking out

(not a true reddit warrior but number one white knight par excellence)

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 2, 2019

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I admit it,i am.....ortwin.

I swear on my last breath i’ll hunt you all down.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I admit it,i am.....ortwin.

I swear on my last breath i’ll hunt you all down.

Liar, vampires don't need to breathe!

e: Or do you mean the last one you took before...you know *wink*wink**nudge*nudge* ?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Yes, it's true, I am B'Tak but I don't want to talk about it - I just don't want to be around anyone ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hazamuth posted:

Liar, vampires don't need to breathe!

e: Or do you mean the last one you took before...you know *wink*wink**nudge*nudge* ?

Starting with you. >:) hey derek doxx him for me! (I am also derek,and Money)