Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I bought some long pepper after the thread mentioned it.

It tastes good in its own way, but it’s not interchangeable with black pepper. I certainly wouldn’t be happy if I had paid a king’s ransom for it.

Now I’m doubting the idea that asafoetida really tastes anything like silphium. :smith:

I believe that black pepper and long pepper were considered more interchangeable that asafoetida and silphium—asafoetida was always the poor man’s version.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Now I’m doubting the idea that asafoetida really tastes anything like silphium. :smith:

This sounds like a ye olden prank.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

maps are stored on the balls

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Agean90 posted:

maps are stored on the balls

Maps stored on the balls are called globes, right? 🤔

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Just call me Restitutor Orbis

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Platystemon posted:

I bought some long pepper after the thread mentioned it.

It tastes good in its own way, but it’s not interchangeable with black pepper. I certainly wouldn’t be happy if I had paid a king’s ransom for it.

I believe that black pepper and long pepper were considered more interchangeable that asafoetida and silphium—asafoetida was always the poor man’s version.

Looking forward to the day they find some silphium seeds and bring it back. Gotta be some frozen peeps in the alps with a stash or something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If science only allowed us to bring back Triceratops or Silphium, who would y'all choose?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why not both? All hail the terrible lizard abortion cattle!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If science only allowed us to bring back Triceratops or Silphium, who would y'all choose?

why is this even a question? fuckin' dinosaurs cavalry, man.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

sullat posted:

Maybe we should get the rhino cavalry working first, they’re smaller

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Is a thagomizer good for breaking a phalanx? :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

Actually, the great advantage of the pre-Marian legion over the phalanx was its greater flexibility enabling it to maintain battle order in the face of diadochan armored T. rex shock troops

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Be consoled by that you can now make kick rear end dhaal and tell people: yes it does have the devil's poo poo in it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sullat posted:

Yeah, it's not like we don't already have other contraception methods.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Goons don't need contraception.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The desirability of silphium probably had as much to do with its scarcity as with its taste. Sort of like how shark fin soup is not very good when judged solely on its flavor, and its desirability is based largely on conspicuous consumption.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

But they need triceratops.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fishmech posted:

No one said anything about stegos.

:mad:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You didn't really get dinosaur-mounted heavy cavalry till after the development of the stirrup, though.

https://d188rgcu4zozwl.cloudfront.net/content/B00S52BU5Y/resources/973471950

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

skasion posted:

Maybe we should get the rhino cavalry working first, they’re smaller

I honestly wonder I anyone actually considered this.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Alhazred posted:

I honestly wonder I anyone actually considered this.

I assume whoever did ended up as a moist patch of ground.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/watch-rhino-attacks-zookeeper-s-car-germany-no-one-was-n1047221

Per wikipedia:

"It is unsubstantiated that rhinoceros were used for war functions. By analyzing Albrecht Dürer's famous 1515 woodcut, it is possible that the liberties taken with the rhino's design[clarification needed] were in fact designs for a suit of armour created for the rhinoceros's fight in Portugal.[10] However, rhinos' apparently 'thick' or 'plated' skin is actually very sensitive and the animals have poor eyesight, heavily limiting their ability to run in a specific direction. Their overly aggressive nature would make them unsuitable for use in mounted combat."

Edit: This also led me to the entertaining story of Clara the Rhino - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_(rhinoceros)

CleverHans fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 1, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CleverHans posted:

I assume whoever did ended up as a moist patch of ground.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/watch-rhino-attacks-zookeeper-s-car-germany-no-one-was-n1047221

Per wikipedia:

"It is unsubstantiated that rhinoceros were used for war functions. By analyzing Albrecht Dürer's famous 1515 woodcut, it is possible that the liberties taken with the rhino's design[clarification needed] were in fact designs for a suit of armour created for the rhinoceros's fight in Portugal.[10] However, rhinos' apparently 'thick' or 'plated' skin is actually very sensitive and the animals have poor eyesight, heavily limiting their ability to run in a specific direction. Their overly aggressive nature would make them unsuitable for use in mounted combat."

Edit: This also led me to the entertaining story of Clara the Rhino - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_(rhinoceros)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CleverHans posted:

this creature has been to more places in europe than me

i hope she was happy

edit:
https://imgur.com/gallery/WufzaiX

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 1, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Triceratops

It’s a two‐for‐one deal because you can eat triceratops.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Triceratops roast skewered on its own horns.

Tasty.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For reals tho I don't want triceratops

I want dwarf miniature wooly mammoth as domesticated housepets

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tiny little dudes trumpeting around the house, leaving hair everywhere

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You mean mimmoths.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I keep forgetting that that's still running

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Are they still in a large fortified structure with no real means of escape?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

House Hippos are real and I will not be convinced otherwise.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Grand Fromage posted:

Conversely, many goons are the people who need contraception the most.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have been told that the etymology of the Latin juglans (walnut) is basically “Jupiter’s dickhead”.

However, when I look up the etymology of glans, dictionaries suggest it’s “acorn”. So a walnut would just be a “Jupiter acorn” because they’re really big acorns.

So which is it? Were the Romans thinking of literal or figurative acorns when they named walnuts? Do we have any way of knowing?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I don't know and it probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but in Dutch 'eikel' means both acorn and dickhead.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Platystemon posted:

I have been told that the etymology of the Latin juglans (walnut) is basically “Jupiter’s dickhead”.

However, when I look up the etymology of glans, dictionaries suggest it’s “acorn”. So a walnut would just be a “Jupiter acorn” because they’re really big acorns.

So which is it? Were the Romans thinking of literal or figurative acorns when they named walnuts? Do we have any way of knowing?

According to one etymological dictionary juglans is probably a calque of Greek dios balanos, Zeus' acorn and Greek for chestnut. Seems like coincidence to me that that walnuts were given this name and glans also came to refer to the glans penis. I'd guess the Romans also borrowed that meaning for glans from balanos. But why the chestnut has such a grand name in Greek I don't know.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

So it's just a bunch of balanos.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

aphid_licker posted:

You've schooled me on German before so don't take this as me laying down the law here but the only meaning for Erdapfel I'm aware of is potato

Ever heard of a "kartoffel"?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Groda posted:

Ever heard of a "kartoffel"?
you know the incessant coke/pop/soda discussions in the us? german is nothing but those

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
There's a baked potato chain in Germany called Erdapfel, and their Hamburg location is the closest veg*n restaurant to Hamburg HBF so I ate there twice when changing trains this summer. This has been my Erdapfel anecdote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
traveling in germany is an endless round of not understanding anyone except the people in the first place you came to when you moved to germany