Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hadlock posted:

It says it supports Oculus Rift

Does the Quest emulate as the Rift/Rift S using Virtual Desktop
It shows up as a Rift on ALVR at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Holy hell you need to download Oculus software to use revive, which is like 7GB download what the hell

You're fundamentally using Oculus software and their storefront properly, the only actual hacky part of ReVive is making it think your headset and controllers are an Oculus Rift.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hadlock posted:

It says it supports Oculus Rift

Does the Quest emulate as the Rift/Rift S using Virtual Desktop

Yes.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

EDIT : nevermind this tab was open from yesterday apparently :v:

mashed fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 30, 2019

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Holy hell you need to download Oculus software to use revive, which is like 7GB download what the hell

If it's just for dirt rally you can get away without it - you just need a couple of files (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/9eo5vd/dirt_rally_without_oculus_software_installed/)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Hmm, Until you Fall is pretty good but it's driving all my muscle memory nuts having to use the thumbsticks in a swordfighting game. That is not how you grip an arming sword, goddamnit!

e: It is also the first game that has sufficiently engrossed me to cause a wall impact.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pretty cool video on the history of VR. Going way back around 100 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X_E_Kg9roE

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

robostac posted:

If it's just for dirt rally you can get away without it - you just need a couple of files (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/9eo5vd/dirt_rally_without_oculus_software_installed/)

Big thanks for that, I had no idea I could skip the oculus software. It did noooot work right the last time I tried to get it and revive working.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25CfI50Q0c
Another Alpha this week for H3VR... with underbarrel Shotgun attachments :stwoon:.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Croteam bundle is $35 on Steam again.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Enderzero posted:

Croteam bundle is $35 on Steam again.

Talos Principle is GREAT! The Serious Sams (including the standing only game are also great). If you're passionate about VR you owe yourself to at least try these titles at $35.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The movement in SS3 is what stoppe dme playing, but it is super fun.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

The movement in SS3 is what stoppe dme playing, but it is super fun.

I'm working up slowly from SS1 up, I'd suggest setting a low difficulty setting.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I did tourist.

My set up isnt ideal. My pc is in another room and the cable runs out the door. Making turning quickly hard. So i use the controller to quick turn. Which i dont like.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

ijii posted:

Looks like The Lab did a small update to their demo/game which includes making use of finger tracking with Index controllers.

Edit: Yea, not much has changed despite it being a 3 gb download.

I have two levels left before I beat Beat Saber's campaign then I was going to try custom tracks and just enjoying bashing boxes instead of the campaign's crappy stipulations and bad songs. Turns out they have a update too. Lo and behold, people already saying the update broke mods. Are custom tracks now broken too until somebody fixes them? I don't want to try something new and rip my hair out only to find out I just need to wait before it's fixed again.

It's already fixed, and custom tracks work. Mods should work as well.

You want Beatdrop from https://bsaber.com/beatdrop/ . This will let you manage songs and mods; if there's ever an update, check the Beat Saber version dropdown for the version within Steam and that should prompt you to redownload mods.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pro-tip: If you have a virtualization capable machine, and you have framerate issues with Unity based games, verify whether the Memory Integrity feature is enabled in Windows Defender/Security. You can find it under "Core isolation details" in the device security section.

I spend my evening yesterday hardening my machine, by throwing out old device drivers that kept the feature from being enabled. Today I tried Beat Saber and the framerate went to poo poo. I tried unrolling a bunch of things I did, and it only got fixed by disabling that Memory Integrity setting. Setting it enables Hypervisor-enforced Code Integrity, which I presume checks signatures of code in a VM running their secure kernel, and with Beat Saber being a lot of .NET, it gets triggered to boot.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Did this get posted yet? Index teardown:

https://imgur.com/a/E8rDHfu

It does use a diffuser! They obviously did it better than Samsung. Not sure what I was expecting for ipd adjustment but it wasn't metal rods

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Has anyone done a teardown on the Rift S, out of curiosity?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Did this get posted yet? Index teardown:

https://imgur.com/a/E8rDHfu

It does use a diffuser! They obviously did it better than Samsung. Not sure what I was expecting for ipd adjustment but it wasn't metal rods

The person who posted that said they were going to put it back together without the diffuser to see what it was like and I never got around to seeing if they ever did that. If the choice was between minor screen door effect with sharp visuals, and no screen door effect with slightly blurry visuals, I'd choose the sharp visuals every time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering I can see feel vertical and horizontal lines, but no individual subpixels, the diffuser must be very faint.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I remember trying various kinds of plastic (the see through windows out of envelopes are too thick, freezer bags are good) under the lenses with my pal when we got our DK1s, thinking we'd totally cracked the screen door issue :v:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I just bought a Samsung Odyssey+ and I'm having a weird problem.

I set No Man's Sky on high and restarted the game, and now during the initial loading, the game is extremely choppy and will sometimes crash back to SteamVR Home. When it doesn't do this, the display goes black with four white balls rotating around each other, but the game has evidently loaded properly, because I can see it mirrored on my monitor.

Is this a headset problem or game problem?

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hello! I just got my friend's Vive, and I don't want to screw holes into walls to mount my base thingies. What tripods should I look into? Looking up "vive tripod" brings up grossly overpriced stuff.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Look up light stands. They are taller and cheaper.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can just place the Lighthouses on level surfaces like book cases or shelves and they'll work fairly fine.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I just bought a Samsung Odyssey+ and I'm having a weird problem.

I set No Man's Sky on high and restarted the game, and now during the initial loading, the game is extremely choppy and will sometimes crash back to SteamVR Home. When it doesn't do this, the display goes black with four white balls rotating around each other, but the game has evidently loaded properly, because I can see it mirrored on my monitor.

Is this a headset problem or game problem?

Sounds pretty normal. Does the game run properly after initial loading?

'Bug-filled' is a very fair description of the game, what as they've been releasing weekly patches since the update, esp with VR in mind.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hello! I just got my friend's Vive, and I don't want to screw holes into walls to mount my base thingies. What tripods should I look into? Looking up "vive tripod" brings up grossly overpriced stuff.

I used a contractor/drywall pole for a period of time. The lighthouses have a screw mount on the bottom that is super common for all manner of camera things so there are no end of clamps and mounts and the like that will work.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Warbird posted:

I used a contractor/drywall pole for a period of time.

Yeah, this is what I use and I think it's much better than a tripod. It doesn't allow vibration the same way a tripod does and you can get it right in the corner of the room.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

What's the max effective length for those cables before they start suffering from attenuation anyway?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

RFC2324 posted:

What's the max effective length for those cables before they start suffering from attenuation anyway?

The lighthouses sync via light with cabling only as a backup so attenuation shouldn't be an issue.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Less Fat Luke posted:

The lighthouses sync via light with cabling only as a backup so attenuation shouldn't be an issue.

sorry, my brain skipped a step.

for the rift

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

ItBreathes posted:

Sounds pretty normal. Does the game run properly after initial loading?

'Bug-filled' is a very fair description of the game, what as they've been releasing weekly patches since the update, esp with VR in mind.

Turns out I just have to sit the headset on my desk while NMS is loading and it works fine afterwards.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

The person who posted that said they were going to put it back together without the diffuser to see what it was like and I never got around to seeing if they ever did that. If the choice was between minor screen door effect with sharp visuals, and no screen door effect with slightly blurry visuals, I'd choose the sharp visuals every time.

I wonder if the diffuser is part of the bad god rays/glare we're seeing on the Index.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So I'm fortunate that I was able to borrow a few VR sets from my employer to try them out.
Thus far I've used a Samsung Odyssey (great!), a Rift S (also pretty good), and a HP Mixed Reality (not great!)

Thus far, I've been really happy with the Oculus Touch controllers and the Oculus software. Really slick, easy to use with Steam VR, and the controllers are great. I like the difference between touching and pressing the button, really cool. I like the Oculus setup process too, being able to touch the sticks to the ground to set the floor and then drawing the barrier line with the controller.

Windows Mixed Reality portal is a little more work to set up and I found I had to continually re-set it up. I don't really care for the WMR interface. I always ended up opening stuff in Steam VR anyway. Oculus software was pretty slick. I found it really easy to get into software.

The Samsung set was really great though. I liked the adjustability of the halo, AND the focus knob. Made it really easy to get a sharp picture, and it definitely had the best picture of all the VR sets I tried. Pretty heavy set, and awkwardly weighted. Included slide-out speakers were good too.
Rift S was OK, though the lack of focus knob made it a little bit of work to wiggle it on your face to make the picture sharp. I also found it was easy to lose that focus if it shifted on your head. I have warm feelings for the Rift because of the Oculus exclusive Vader Immortal which was super rad. Really like the top strap on the hardware too, makes it easy to sit on your head without squeezing.
HP set was a terrible fit. They have a hinge up front to flip up, but even when flipped up you can't see very well in front of you :downs:. It is not adjustable at all except for on the halo, and requires a great deal of wiggling to get it working OK. The hinged front makes it difficult to get both a good light blocking seal AND in focus. The two tracking cameras are slightly worse than the Odyssey, and MUCH worse than the Rift S. This is such a lousy product. There's no speakers on the headset at all, and plugging in headphones is wonky. If you're already in a title and plug in headphones, it won't recognize the headphones. You have to close the software, plug in headphones, THEN open the software.

Odyssey had such a nice looking screen that it is an absolute crime that the controller tracking was so limited.

Have yet to try a Vive but want to check that out first before I buy one. I think I might end up with a Rift S. That thing ruled for Blade and Sorcery :black101:

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
As a vice owner of over a year now, and rift s for a few months, just go with the rift s. The tracking issues I initially had with the rift are pretty much fixed and the vive screen door effect is noticeably worse then the rift s. I think the rift s is by far the best value for money headset at the moment.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

canyoneer posted:

Have yet to try a Vive but want to check that out first before I buy one. I think I might end up with a Rift S. That thing ruled for Blade and Sorcery :black101:

I'm not sure if they still do it, but if you have a microsoft store nearby you at all, they used to have vive demos set up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

canyoneer posted:

So I'm fortunate that I was able to borrow a few VR sets from my employer to try them out.
Thus far I've used a Samsung Odyssey (great!), a Rift S (also pretty good), and a HP Mixed Reality (not great!)

Thus far, I've been really happy with the Oculus Touch controllers and the Oculus software. Really slick, easy to use with Steam VR, and the controllers are great. I like the difference between touching and pressing the button, really cool. I like the Oculus setup process too, being able to touch the sticks to the ground to set the floor and then drawing the barrier line with the controller.

Windows Mixed Reality portal is a little more work to set up and I found I had to continually re-set it up. I don't really care for the WMR interface. I always ended up opening stuff in Steam VR anyway. Oculus software was pretty slick. I found it really easy to get into software.

The Samsung set was really great though. I liked the adjustability of the halo, AND the focus knob. Made it really easy to get a sharp picture, and it definitely had the best picture of all the VR sets I tried. Pretty heavy set, and awkwardly weighted. Included slide-out speakers were good too.
Rift S was OK, though the lack of focus knob made it a little bit of work to wiggle it on your face to make the picture sharp. I also found it was easy to lose that focus if it shifted on your head. I have warm feelings for the Rift because of the Oculus exclusive Vader Immortal which was super rad. Really like the top strap on the hardware too, makes it easy to sit on your head without squeezing.
HP set was a terrible fit. They have a hinge up front to flip up, but even when flipped up you can't see very well in front of you :downs:. It is not adjustable at all except for on the halo, and requires a great deal of wiggling to get it working OK. The hinged front makes it difficult to get both a good light blocking seal AND in focus. The two tracking cameras are slightly worse than the Odyssey, and MUCH worse than the Rift S. This is such a lousy product. There's no speakers on the headset at all, and plugging in headphones is wonky. If you're already in a title and plug in headphones, it won't recognize the headphones. You have to close the software, plug in headphones, THEN open the software.

Odyssey had such a nice looking screen that it is an absolute crime that the controller tracking was so limited.

You should check out the Index.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got advice for wearing the Quest for people with small heads? So far I've seen, "Roll a towel up and put it under the strap" and "Wear a hoodie" which aren't great

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Start taking HGH and wait a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Gort posted:

Anyone got advice for wearing the Quest for people with small heads? So far I've seen, "Roll a towel up and put it under the strap" and "Wear a hoodie" which aren't great

There is a mod to use the vive das on the quest. I think that might work but I don't have any small heads to test mine on.