Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oof

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1168415330957316096?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
did tom taylor get sent kings comps of vision and just never tell anyone

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2019/

I own Hellboy Library Editions 1 and 3 and I need to add some stuff to my Christmas list. This reading list is a bit complicated to me, but is it the case that the Library Editions contain everything that would be in the omnibuses? Like, the first omnibus mentions two volumes of short stories--are those included in the Library Editions?

Basically, if I ask for the other Library Editions, is that all the Hellboy material? Or would it be missing certain core Hellboy stuff that the omnibuses contain?

I've just finished Library book 4, and it's got most of it. I did have to buy one store out of Library format, and it doesn't have BRPD. Here's the read guide I'm using:

I have Year 1 in my pile to read (I never read DC stuff otherwise), so what's the catch here?

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 2, 2019

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

IUG posted:

I have Year 1 in my pile to read (I never read DC stuff otherwise), so what's the catch here?

Previews keeps marking stuff he has written as Tom King.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I own Hellboy Library Editions 1 and 3 and I need to add some stuff to my Christmas list. This reading list is a bit complicated to me, but is it the case that the Library Editions contain everything that would be in the omnibuses? Like, the first omnibus mentions two volumes of short stories--are those included in the Library Editions?

Basically, if I ask for the other Library Editions, is that all the Hellboy material? Or would it be missing certain core Hellboy stuff that the omnibuses contain?

That diagram there is too convoluted. Just read the omnibus editions in their numerical order and the two short story collections whenever. The whole point of the omnibi (omnibuses?) is to make it simple to read. Those six books compile all the Hellboy material from the beginning all the way through Hellboy in Hell. I have no idea what the Library Editions contain though. I only read all that after the omnibuses (?) were released because I didn't want to buy fifty of those little trades they use to have. The price point on the omnibi (?) is really good too. Getting bogged down in which of the spinoffs you should read when seems like an exercise in tedium. I can tell you from reading just Hellboy I wasn't lost because I didn't read Lobster Johnson volume one and then BPRD volume two or whatever the gently caress in between each book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're not getting Chip Zdarsky's newsletter, well, you should probably change that.

https://zdarsky.substack.com/

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

CPL593H posted:

That diagram there is too convoluted. Just read the omnibus editions in their numerical order and the two short story collections whenever. The whole point of the omnibi (omnibuses?) is to make it simple to read. Those six books compile all the Hellboy material from the beginning all the way through Hellboy in Hell. I have no idea what the Library Editions contain though. I only read all that after the omnibuses (?) were released because I didn't want to buy fifty of those little trades they use to have. The price point on the omnibi (?) is really good too. Getting bogged down in which of the spinoffs you should read when seems like an exercise in tedium. I can tell you from reading just Hellboy I wasn't lost because I didn't read Lobster Johnson volume one and then BPRD volume two or whatever the gently caress in between each book.

I think the Library Editions are just compilations of two trades, hardbound, with bonus sketches and that kind of thing, but I'm not sure. If I didn't already have volumes 1 and 3 that I found for a good price, I probably would just start over with the omnibuses. Maybe I should anyway, honestly, the sketches and stuff don't do much for me.

Kleptocracy
Feb 18, 2011

FABRICATI DIEM PVNC

Endless Mike posted:

If you're not getting Chip Zdarsky's newsletter, well, you should probably change that.

This is amazing, thank you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

I feel like I've been given a gift and it's not even my birthday.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Somebody, please talk me out of trying to buy a page of original art from the Clone Saga. Yes, it has both Pete and Ben in costume on it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Random Stranger posted:

Somebody, please talk me out of trying to buy a page of original art from the Clone Saga. Yes, it has both Pete and Ben in costume on it.

Who drew it?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I think you should buy it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Who drew it?

Sal Buscema with Sienkiewicz.

It's from the issue where Peter hits Mary Jane. But obviously not that page since I wouldn't even want that one for its nadir of Marvel Comics value.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
That issue is ugly in such an interesting way, I used to be fascinated and horrified by it as a kid. That would be a rad thing to have up on your wall.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Archyduchess posted:

That issue is ugly in such an interesting way, I used to be fascinated and horrified by it as a kid. That would be a rad thing to have up on your wall.

When I was reading the clone saga earlier this year, the Buscema issues looked terrible. Then Sienkiewicz took over the inking and it was like he was redrawing half the page. It still looked wrong for Spider-Man, but it became about a stylistic mismatch instead of just sketchy and flat.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Random Stranger posted:

Sal Buscema with Sienkiewicz.

It's from the issue where Peter hits Mary Jane. But obviously not that page since I wouldn't even want that one for its nadir of Marvel Comics value.

If you have the opportunity and the money sure. They are both classic artists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is it something you want to see every day?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
man the final issue of WicDiv was great, huh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had a galaxy-brain insight on Watchmen which seemed to fit here better than anywhere else:

Rorschach's vision is, quite literally, filtered through the Kitty Genovese murder.

Well that's my story.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nessus posted:

I had a galaxy-brain insight on Watchmen which seemed to fit here better than anywhere else:

Rorschach's vision is, quite literally, filtered through the Kitty Genovese murder.

Well that's my story.

Now in Geno-veson™

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/kennybloggins/status/1169246729545363457?s=19

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wanna hear Kang do an ad read for stamps.com

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry Convex posted:

man the final issue of WicDiv was great, huh

Did that just not ship or something? I can't find it anywhere, it's also on my pull list and I didn't get it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
has anybody using firefox come across this problem with the forums where tweets are showing up as text but not like, actual embedded tweets. just started happening yesterday, im not sure whats up. tried disabling ublock, firefox builtin content blocking is already disabled for SA because that disabled tweets from showing up in the first place

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

has anybody using firefox come across this problem with the forums where tweets are showing up as text but not like, actual embedded tweets. just started happening yesterday, im not sure whats up. tried disabling ublock, firefox builtin content blocking is already disabled for SA because that disabled tweets from showing up in the first place

it does that on chrome, but it's usually just a loading thing and reformats into a tweet within a second

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think it's just Twitter's API loving up/hanging at some step. I'll see it in Awful app embeds sometimes as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

That happened to me last week and it turns out clearing my cache and cookies solved it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey, clearing the cache worked. thanks!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao a burn on nice guys and guys gardner

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nice Guy Gardner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
what the gently caress

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think of myself as a Clark Kent, but I am a Peter Parker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am SHOOK

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think of myself as a Clark Kent, but I am a Peter Parker.

That's some real school shooter talk coming out of Peter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ditko-era Peter was amazingly bitter, it was great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Ditko-era Peter was amazingly bitter, it was great.

New York was really lucky Uncle Ben got shot the moment Peter used his powers for personal gain, otherwise he'd have basically been another Doc Ock or Green Goblin, only there wouldn't be a Spider-Man to stop him.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I assume there has to be a "What If... Spider-Man remained a selfish dipshit", right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

I assume there has to be a "What If... Spider-Man remained a selfish dipshit", right?

Multiple ones, IIRC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, the one where Uncle Ben doesn't get shot has him turn into an annoying self-obsessed celebrity who drives the Daily Bugle to ruin because he thinks it's funny. Kind of a mundane dick more than a supervillain, which makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It kind of sucks that they are implying the only reason Peter became a hero is because of a tragedy, instead of some kind of being just raised right. That is more of a failing on May and Ben's behalf if the only way for Peter to be a decent guy was for one of them to be killed.