Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

World Famous W posted:

I wished that subplot just evaporated, cause following the Bruz quests to the full end was... unpleasant.

I would have gave you the fort, Bruz, but they wouldn't let me. It could have been your fort.

I mean, I know about the spoiler and that it ultimately does come back up again at some point in the future, but there's not even a token cutscene of Bruz grunting in disapproval or the other ogre dude storming off in a huff. Like basic narrative elements that at least acknowledge that the dilemma was even a thing that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SiKboy posted:

The feeling I always got was like Rockstar kept getting pissed off by people completing their missions in the "wrong" way.

They were also hilariously passive aggressive in GTAV towards their audiences, who really did not like GTA4 after San Andreas and wanted more action-oriented game. For example when they introduce Trevor, he kills a meth-head motorist who actually was one of the protagonists from the GTA4 DLC packs, which were much more action-oriented and well-received than the original GTA4. Almost as to give a huge "gently caress you" to the players who actually liked playing a biker gang leader or elite club bodyguard instead of a continuously complaining sad sack from Yugoslavia.

Its difficult to explain but the scene is so aggressively passive aggressive its almost sad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if that holds up. The GTA4 expansions, sadly, didnt do great so if it was to sleight anyone it wasn't going to be a very large audience. Its why Rockstar didn't do those types of expansions with 5. GTA online just reaps far more money and that's definitely more action orientated (though that contrasts with other issues).

I think it was meant to be a more obvious way of emphasizing its the same world as 4. You can recruit Patty but thats a side mission you can miss, and Nico is mentioned in one of the heists but only in the vaguest of terms. If they were fixated on showing the supremacy of 4 I really feel like they'd play up Nico a bit more.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Sep 2, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Der Kyhe posted:

They were also hilariously passive aggressive in GTAV towards their audiences, who really did not like GTA4 after San Andreas and wanted more action-oriented game. For example when they introduce Trevor, he kills a meth-head motorist who actually was one of the protagonists from the GTA4 DLC packs, which were much more action-oriented and well-received than the original GTA4. Almost as to give a huge "gently caress you" to the players who actually liked playing a biker gang leader or elite club bodyguard instead of a continuously complaining sad sack from Yugoslavia.

Its difficult to explain but the scene is so aggressively passive aggressive its almost sad.

I thought that was just establishing Trevor as a badass. It seems weird to just off a protagonist like that, even if they were just DLC.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just beat the first heist with the highest payout and I'm annoyed at how strict the process is. You can't change your mind beforehand if you want to try a different method. You can't reassign crew members. You can't level up crew members in any real capacity. You can't earn the cash you missed by replaying.You can't even opt of a mission naturally.

What's worse is how scripted it can be. A crew member can take a low 4% cut but certain events flags means they'll drop their loot 100 percent of the time, whereas a more expensive member wouldn't fail which costs you less. Just use a walkthrough. If the whole process were more like Mass Effect 2's Suicide Mission it would be leagues better than this half-baked mechanic that flirts with potential. But this is a Rockstar game where you hold the X button to sprint.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Sep 2, 2019

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RagnarokAngel posted:

. If they were fixated on showing the supremacy of 4 I really feel like they'd play up Nico a bit more.

They absolutely wouldn't play up Nico, because they are mad at his voice actor for complaining that they tried to underpay him or something. Rockstar came of as really petty in that feud iirc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Rockstar makes absolute poo poo tons of money so I guess there's no reason for them to change what they do but not having a speed sensitive analog movement system is dumb as gently caress. Hold lightly to walk and increase movement to increase speed. Then have an added "haul rear end" button that's stamina based.

I'm not sure why they think people want to watch animations of cowboys boiling water and gangsters sitting down on a couch or something either.

Half the fun of the first few GTA games was inventing creative and crazy ways to approach a problem, much like the Hitman games only on a larger scale. Except now Rockstar seems to want you to approach a mission the exact correct way.

Speaking of Hitman, I like those games but one thing that always bugged me was how inconsistent your disguise level was. I could never tell if I was gonna fake someone out or get busted suddenly and when the poo poo hit the fan I was never quite sure WHY. I DO love all the different ways and approaches you can take to wasting your target but too often that also felt like trial and error. The controls always kind of hosed with me too and several times I'd gently caress up because I hit a button I didn't mean to and give up my game.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I just beat the first heist with the highest payout and I'm annoyed at how strict the process is. You can't change your mind beforehand if you want to try a different method. You can't reassign crew members. You can't level up crew members in any real capacity. You can't earn the cash you missed by replaying.You can't even opt of a mission naturally.

What's worse is how scripted it can be. A crew member can take a low 4% cut but certain events flags means they'll drop their loot 100 percent of the time, whereas a more expensive member wouldn't fail which costs you less. Just use a walkthrough. If the whole process were more like Mass Effect 2's Suicide Mission it would be leagues better than this half-baked mechanic that flirts with potential. But this is a Rockstar game where you hold the X button to sprint.

Also, that heist is also the only one before the end-game from which you get to keep the money because gently caress you player for doing anything else than playing the story mode.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Sep 2, 2019

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Trevor is easily my least favorite video game character hard stop. All the people saying that he’s a call back to actually good characters or he’s a representation of the people playing GTA are so far up their own asses they can see sunlight.

Tommy and CJ were flawed humans sure, but they had smarts, cunning, or loyalty whereas Trevor has a gaggle of idiots and a toy bear he hosed the eye out of because someone thought that was cool and edgy. Not to mention all of his soap boxing that you were forced to sit through.

I hated every moment he was on screen and I couldn’t have picked the option to kill him harder than I did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm not sure if that holds up. The GTA4 expansions, sadly, didnt do great so if it was to sleight anyone it wasn't going to be a very large audience. Its why Rockstar didn't do those types of expansions with 5. GTA online just reaps far more money and that's definitely more action orientated (though that contrasts with other issues).

I think it was meant to be a more obvious way of emphasizing its the same world as 4. You can recruit Patty but thats a side mission you can miss, and Nico is mentioned in one of the heists but only in the vaguest of terms. If they were fixated on showing the supremacy of 4 I really feel like they'd play up Nico a bit more.

After the release of 4 there was a pay dispute with the guy who played Nico, which is why he never did anything in the DLC and didn't show up again in 5.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Like 50% of my budget in GTA4 was buying fuzzy hats that would get shot or knocked off about a minute later.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of Hitman, I like those games but one thing that always bugged me was how inconsistent your disguise level was. I could never tell if I was gonna fake someone out or get busted suddenly and when the poo poo hit the fan I was never quite sure WHY. I DO love all the different ways and approaches you can take to wasting your target but too often that also felt like trial and error. The controls always kind of hosed with me too and several times I'd gently caress up because I hit a button I didn't mean to and give up my game.

The new Hitman games just put a white dot above the head of anyone who can see through your disguise. Even if they spot you get a slowly filling up suspicion meter that's pretty easy to avoid.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

And you can turn even that off if you wish

From what I remember new Hitman was pretty customizable

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Necrothatcher posted:

The new Hitman games just put a white dot above the head of anyone who can see through your disguise. Even if they spot you get a slowly filling up suspicion meter that's pretty easy to avoid.

Oh, cool. That's great addition.

I've been thinking about picking up a Hitman game so what's my best bet? Doesn't have to be new. I haven't played one since HM2 I think plus a little bit of Blood Money.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
The 2016 Hitman is discounted and frequently goes on sale and so can be gotten at a decent deal. However, its sequel lets you buy all the Hitman 2016 maps as DLC with all the HM2 features which makes it the better overall deal if you want to get both games.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, cool. That's great addition.

I've been thinking about picking up a Hitman game so what's my best bet? Doesn't have to be new. I haven't played one since HM2 I think plus a little bit of Blood Money.

The 2 new ones ( Hitman 2016 + Hitman 2 / Season 1 and Season 2. ) are together in the same executable nowadays.
So if you just grab a cheap GOTY package of Hitman 1/2016, and I believe the free demo for 2, you can play all the Hitman 1 content in Hitman 2's updated engine, with tweaks and improvements to the old content.
(Atleast, that's how it functioned at release, they just checked if you owned any Hitman1 content and unlocked it in hitman2.)

(And keep progression/unlocks if you decide to get #2 as well.))

e: beaten ^^^

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

buddhist nudist posted:

The 2016 Hitman is discounted and frequently goes on sale and so can be gotten at a decent deal. However, its sequel lets you buy all the Hitman 2016 maps as DLC with all the HM2 features which makes it the better overall deal if you want to get both games.

What if you already own Hitman 2016

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Squiddycat posted:

What if you already own Hitman 2016

Download the Hitman 2 demo on the same platform with the same account, and it should be able to add that content, unless this has been changed since it came out.
e: I believe it is called the 'Hitman 2 Starter Pack'
https://store.steampowered.com/app/863550/HITMAN_2/

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I agree with the criticisms of Trevor. I would say that they were trying too hard to recreate the archetypal GTA protagonist of old, but I actually think it's a bit more calculated than that.

I've finished GTAV to 100% twice, on two different systems, and yet in retrospect I can't say I really enjoyed it that much at all. I don't think I've ever played a game that's more mean-spirited and cynical in both its attitude towards the player and the world it claims to "satirise". You can't really enjoy it as a good piece of crime fiction because it deliberately overturns everything that makes crime fiction exciting and interesting, in the name of... something, possibly just to show that they can mess around with sense/taste and people will still buy it. It meddles with the "pursuit of money" trope that's so central to the genre but provides nothing in its place, seemingly because it legitimately doesn't think anything can replace money, which might be a decent avenue to explore if it were at all bothered with it. This also has the side-effect of making a character like Trevor crazy for the sake of being crazy; unlike Tommy and CJ (arguably even Nico as well) he doesn't exist to commit crimes in order to try and fix the situation he's in, he's just there to make bad jokes/observations and to get under your skin.

You can't enjoy it as satire because it's so hateful towards pretty much everyone, to the point where everyone involved simply becomes a lumbering two-dimensional cardboard cut-out. Granted, GTA's humour was never subtle or even necessarily all that clever to begin with, but I think it was tolerated much more before GTAIV because it had a certain charm to it. It was lampooning rather than spiteful, somewhat more suggestive as opposed to painfully obvious and predictable. In Vice City, for example, you can enjoy the music and fashion of the 1980s whilst also laughing at that period's ridiculous excesses. In GTAV, and to a lesser extent GTAIV, there are no upsides to anything: people are idiots, especially you and anyone else insisting that they're not. The irony is that this is far from the fresh and original take they probably intended it to be, and instead it's actually disturbingly close to the sort of normalised far-right nonsense you now see regularly trotted out on Twitter and in the news.

Also some of the stunt jumps sucked and there's no jetpack.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

AC:Black Flag is the best GTA game. Despite having no cars and being saddled with the less-than-stellar continuity and mission-structure of it's franchise it does let you play a criminal who commits crimes and makes money. It also manages to have meaningful commentary in that the piracy is fun but all your pirate buddies eventually die or leave, and your own character can't avoid the tragedy that will inflict him and his family.

It also tracks collectibles on the map while GTA can't be arsed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA 5 helped me realize that the aimless destruction rampages you can go on in that series were never really fun because you aren't rewarded at all for doing it. There's no reason to go nuts and kill people and get tanks and helicopters on your rear end anymore because it's just not fun, it's fighting a never-ending wave of enemies and exhausting ammo and supplies that don't come back and you have to buy again if you die. When I was younger it was cool watching the world descend into chaos as I blew stuff up, but in 5 they made it such a pain in the rear end to get supplies like an armored car or better guns that it's just not worth it anymore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

AC:Black Flag is the best GTA game. Despite having no cars and being saddled with the less-than-stellar continuity and mission-structure of it's franchise it does let you play a criminal who commits crimes and makes money. It also manages to have meaningful commentary in that the piracy is fun but all your pirate buddies eventually die or leave, and your own character can't avoid the tragedy that will inflict him and his family.

It also tracks collectibles on the map while GTA can't be arsed.

While Bully did track collectibles on the map, you needed to finish certain classes for it (and that's something you'd do anyway if you're into the game). I guess the Rockstar studios didn't talk among each other.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sleeping Dogs is the best GTA-like fite me irl if you disagree.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bully was the best Rockstar game ever made and most of the little things dragging games after it down are things it actually resolved.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

Trevor is easily my least favorite video game character hard stop. All the people saying that he’s a call back to actually good characters or he’s a representation of the people playing GTA are so far up their own asses they can see sunlight.

Tommy and CJ were flawed humans sure, but they had smarts, cunning, or loyalty whereas Trevor has a gaggle of idiots and a toy bear he hosed the eye out of because someone thought that was cool and edgy. Not to mention all of his soap boxing that you were forced to sit through.

I hated every moment he was on screen and I couldn’t have picked the option to kill him harder than I did.
Is Trevor the crazy murderer dude or the rich misogynist dude with the house?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RyokoTK posted:

Watch_Dogs 2, come to the PYF Litte Things In Games thread in 20 minutes if you want an asskicking

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

It's crazy good. A big part of why I liked the latest Spider-Man game so much was how it borrowed from Sleeping Dogs. SD's Hong Kong is a more interesting city than anything in a GTA game.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is Trevor the crazy murderer dude or the rich misogynist dude with the house?

Crazy murderer dude. Michael (misogynist dude) was also a bad character but he actually had a small amount of nuance to his character.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It bothered me how nobody except for Trevor ever calls Michael out on his whole "trust me pals I'm a master criminal we'll all make bank and then we're out" schtick given that he's the only one of the new crew that has a history of being a rat

edit: In fact that kind of goes unaddressed for the whole story in general. There's a whole side plot in the middle wherein Trevor finds out Michael sold out his former crew for witness protection and some missions dealing with the fallout when he eventually does uncover the truth, but the game does a fancy football juke around having anyone besides Trevor actually discuss that he sold out his former crew. I feel like they should've treated that aspect of his character with more importance given that he is running with a new crew who doesn't know him and may have opinions on this revelation!!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Sep 2, 2019

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only one of them that’s even vaguely interesting is Franklin, because he’s a small time punk and his only aspiration is being a big time punk. It’s on brand for a crime drama at least. Michael came close, I liked his VA at least. Trevor loving sucks so bad.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
There needed to be more heists. They were built up like they'd be a huge part of the game, but they barely exist.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If they included all that crime they wouldn't have had time for the important things like doing yoga passive agressively

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Rockstar: Have fun your way in our giant open world!

no, not like that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Riatsala posted:

Rockstar: Have fun your way in our giant open world!

no, not like that

I think that's the way all open world developers eventually go. You can see the same approach from Bethesda, although with them it's less contemptuous while still technically letting you do it and more just 'we're outright taking this option away'.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CJacobs posted:

GTA 5 helped me realize that the aimless destruction rampages you can go on in that series were never really fun because you aren't rewarded at all for doing it. There's no reason to go nuts and kill people and get tanks and helicopters on your rear end anymore because it's just not fun, it's fighting a never-ending wave of enemies and exhausting ammo and supplies that don't come back and you have to buy again if you die. When I was younger it was cool watching the world descend into chaos as I blew stuff up, but in 5 they made it such a pain in the rear end to get supplies like an armored car or better guns that it's just not worth it anymore.

I'm pretty sure they did most of those things specifically to turn people away from playing GTAV in the "traditional" way people used to clown around the older GTA games. There was a definite tonal shift not just in the setting and mechanics, but in the design of GTA games from IV onwards. In 5 they made the wacky chaos stuff just as utterly unfun as they possibly could.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samuringa posted:

Watch_Dogs 2, come to the PYF Litte Things In Games thread in 20 minutes if you want an asskicking

I love Scissor Lift Simulator 2016

Philippe has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Sep 3, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this! posted:

After the release of 4 there was a pay dispute with the guy who played Nico, which is why he never did anything in the DLC and didn't show up again in 5.

Nico's VA had the audacity to want royalties from the game making $crazy on account of being a pretty significant part of it. (And in fairness, while GTA4 was largely poo poo, he did do a good job.)

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Sep 3, 2019

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
MGS5 is the best GTA because you can steal a car, a bear, a man, a tank... a metal gear?!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Rockstar wants a carefully controlled narrative but keeps making open world sandboxes for some reason. I enjoyed L.A. Noire, but for some reason they built an open world for a completely linear game and left in carjacking and running down pedestrians despite being a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So in GTA V you're best off not buying properties outside of the missions they unlock because they don't pay out poo poo. The majority of them take years to generate a profit. It's such a sexless affair. Yakuza 0 also had real-estate but added some flair to the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPS_TujdShU