Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Jesus, 5 YEARS of Boris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Such a result would imply the SNP taking all but seven seats in Scotland. I wonder which.

I guess the real question is, though, would the LDs genuinely go into coalition with a No-deal Tory government?

edit: wait hang on where's BXP?

Vlex fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 2, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vlex posted:

I guess the real question is, though, would the LDs genuinely go into coalition with a No-deal Tory government?
I have a hard time believing that even Johnson would do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is the Other independent or BXP?

Vlex posted:

In exchange for a 5p tax on rubber bands.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vlex posted:

Such a result would imply the SNP taking all but seven seats in Scotland. I wonder which.

While I think many Tory MPs, and probably, secretly, the PM and the Cabinet, would welcome that as an excuse to ditch Brexit, I can only imagine that the Tory membership would go apeshit about it. In this case I imagine we would be leading to yet another election.

So much rides on the hope that Labour could pull out another boost at the election like they did last time. Since the only options will be no-deal Brexit or a Corbyn government, maybe they can.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I can't see any real possibility, without Ruth and with Boris, of the Scottish Tories keeping more than maybe 3 of their seats, which would mean a minimum of ten losses in Scotland alone, I don't see that MRP being accurate even if the GE was tomorrow, and that's before purdah.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

mehall posted:

I can't see any real possibility, without Ruth and with Boris, of the Scottish Tories keeping more than maybe 3 of their seats, which would mean a minimum of ten losses in Scotland alone, I don't see that MRP being accurate even if the GE was tomorrow, and that's before purdah.

I'm assuming losses in Scotland are offset by gains elsewhere (as the SNP are +17), looks like a few Labour seats go blue based on those changes

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think Labour will do a lot better in an election than current polls because they'll undercut the libdem surge by running on a referendum between remain and a Labour deal. FBPE brainwormers will still demand a referendum between remain and no deal but normal people will prefer the version without a horrible disaster as an option

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think Labour will do a lot better in an election than current polls because they'll undercut the libdem surge by running on a referendum between remain and a Labour deal. FBPE brainwormers will still demand a referendum between remain and no deal but normal people will prefer the version without a horrible disaster as an option

Also, Labour having a policy platform instead of one thing subject to a referendum.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Do you not think election/referendum fatigue will be a force? Remainers may vote LD on the perception that they are more likely to revoke A50, and Leavers will definitely vote CON on the mantra of BREXIT NOW. I think people are sick and loving tired of everything and want a result as fast as possible, one way or another.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vlex posted:

Do you not think election/referendum fatigue will be a force? Remainers may vote LD on the perception that they are more likely to revoke A50, and Leavers will definitely vote CON on the mantra of BREXIT NOW. I think people are sick and loving tired of everything and want a result as fast as possible, one way or another.

That depends on Jo Swinson having the courage to come out and say she would unilaterally revoke Article 50. Wouldn't put money on it, myself.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Vlex posted:

funny how they all want the one thing they're almost 100% certain not to get.

...no, not funny, the other one. depressing, i meant.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I stare at the poll
The made-up numbers state; This
Is bad for Corbyn

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

kingturnip posted:

I stare at the poll
The made-up numbers state; This
Is bad for Corbyn

You are Emma Kennedy and I claim my five pounds.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

funny how they all want the one thing they're almost 100% certain not to get.

...no, not funny, the other one. depressing, i meant.

Yeah I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying stupidity is a transcendental force in politics.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vlex posted:

I doubt it, if only for the fact that a lot of folks seems pissed off on the whole "Johnson is being a poo poo about our rights" and the Lib-dem leader has been conspicuous by her absence.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Hey comrades, I'm just off to my first ever CLP meetup this evening! (I know I know, but UKMT got to me eventually at least).

Hopefully a diverse non-blairite group of new friends awaits. Wish me luck :)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Boris Johnson is currently in Nandos and getting very angry that the woman at the till can't give him No Deal Brexit this very moment

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I overheard Boris Johnson in Nandos saying he voted Remain.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In actual news, apparently Alex de Pfeffel is to make an announcement live at 6

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
For real though, he's making some kind of official statement outside No. 10 in 20 mins.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This might be it lads and lasses

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

It's not likely to be a GE.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Going to be a May-esque big sack of nothing, apparently?

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1168563003811409927?s=21

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The LDs would go full Human Centipede to get even a sniff (lol) of relevance and power.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1168545878707249153

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/world/europe/uk-life-expectancy.html

New York Times published another "look how pathetic Britain is" article.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Larry has not met the dog

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We regret to announce that the dog is racist against cats.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Can we still tell if poo poo is on from the symbol used on the speaking podium/lectern/thing?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

tritsch posted:

Hey comrades, I'm just off to my first ever CLP meetup this evening! (I know I know, but UKMT got to me eventually at least).

Hopefully a diverse non-blairite group of new friends awaits. Wish me luck :)

Good luck, hope yours doesn't have an old man mad about minutes

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Doesn't look like a general election :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Downing street symbol on the lectern, but that is pretty meaningless these days.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

kustomkarkommando posted:

We had an NI specific poll

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1168489976805429248?s=19

Puts alliance 13% ahead of the DUP in Belfast South (unsurprising as them holding this relies on heavy vote splitting between the non-DUP vote share) but also sees them run second to the DUP in Belfast East with a gap of only 2% (they won this seat once before) and lagging only 1% behind them in South Antrim, where they barely scrapped 8% at the last election but seem to be profiting from the wholesale collapse of the UUP.

Might be trick for SF to hold Foyle on those numbers also

I'm completely ignorant on the political makeup of Alliance, is it a comparable centrist group taking votes from the right wing DUP and the left wing SF?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vlex posted:

edit: wait hang on where's BXP?

My entirely uneducated guess is that Labour lose all their seats except Ian Murray's in Edinburgh, Edinburgh South I think. Liberals retain Orkney and Shetland and probably Swinson's East Dunbartonshire, maybe one other. Tories hold their 2 seats in the Borders and probably something in the North East like one of the Aberdeenshire seats, or both or Moray.

But I've not exactly looked at swings or anything, this is just all from memory. But aye, dinnae have high hopes for Labour in Scotland, and even the Tory collapse probably won't be as severe as you'd hope for.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1168568080630472704

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Alexander is gonna be a loving coward and cling onto ‘power’

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Josef bugman posted:

The idea that we should give up is seductive because it absolves us of failure. The idea of hope is a better one because it pushes us to be more than we are.

Hope owns, keep on bein you bugman, you’re the best

Happening status: sofuckingcloseicantasteit

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Depressing that all it takes to distract the press from us hurtling off the edge of a no deal cliff for no reason other than bare stupidity is them buying a loving dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Depressing that all it takes to distract the press from us hurtling off the edge of a no deal cliff for no reason other than bare stupidity is them buying a loving dog.

The cynic in me wonders if them getting the dog was purely a publicity stunt...