Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Dors anyone have a Spirit Pack? My wife and I are wanting to dress as Ghostbusters for the big Halloween party we usually go to, I may be due some money unexpectedly that would cover maybe two spirit packs and a trap (either spirit or one of the many custom props). To get a spirit pack sent to the UK the cheapest option seems to be £70 through amazon including import fees. I have heard the sounds arent great though. The other options are either DIY (and I am very much the kind of man who is good with his mind and terrible with his hands) or going the supse expensive replica route, which isn't really an option.

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of GB and always have been, to the point of having a Stay Puft tattoo, but I really don't want to do this if it's half assed.

Yeah, I have one. They’re actually pretty good, save for the backpack straps. For that, I’d highly recommend getting an ALICE pack and attaching it (there’s vids on YouTube). For £70 that’s really not bad, especially if that’s including postage and possible customs charges. They’re $70 (maybe $80 this year) in the US just to buy. You can buy a better proton gun kit that scales with it from Benofkent, as well as other upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I have one. They’re actually pretty good, save for the backpack straps. For that, I’d highly recommend getting an ALICE pack and attaching it (there’s vids on YouTube). For £70 that’s really not bad, especially if that’s including postage and possible customs charges. They’re $70 (maybe $80 this year) in the US just to buy. You can buy a better proton gun kit that scales with it from Benofkent, as well as other upgrades.

Thanks for the swift reply! I have seen the mods but even out of the box I'm sure they will look the part. Just need to procure them now!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah, the Spirit packs are perfectly good for Halloween party’s. The lights and sounds are good enough.

I might be looking to upgrade if I quit being lazy and finally join up with the Detroit Ghostbusters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Eh, the Spirit pack is only about 2/3 scale so it's never looked right to me anyway.

Here's one next to a full size replica:

Still way better than the inflatable proton packs you get with cheap Halloween costumes though! :v:

Open Marriage Night posted:

I might be looking to upgrade if I quit being lazy and finally join up with the Detroit Ghostbusters.

Yeah if you're wearing a Spirit pack and you're hanging around with people wearing authentic replicas the difference would be really really noticeable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Eh, the Spirit pack is only about 2/3 scale so it's never looked right to me anyway.

Here's one next to a full size replica:

Still way better than the inflatable proton packs you get with cheap Halloween costumes though! :v:

Yeah if you're wearing a Spirit pack and you're hanging around with people wearing authentic replicas the difference would be really really noticeable.

The Spirit pack is about 80% scale, but the gun is annoyingly smaller.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I had the toy proton pack as a kid so part of me always thinks proton packs should be dark blue.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Lurdiak posted:

I had the toy proton pack as a kid so part of me always thinks proton packs should be dark blue.
Hello.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It’s surprising Spirit haven’t done an RGB pack this year because they’ve brought in RGB uniforms. Maybe next year!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

Met a guy that paid $75 to get one for his kid this year. That one really won the day. Would have loved to have met people with real Ghostbusters suits and the car when I was his age.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

:siren: Hasbro have acquired the master toy licence for Ghostbusters. Considering Hasbro have a fantastic process for reproducing actor’s likenesses for their Star Wars Black Series and Marvel Legends figures, that should work well for this too.

They better make toys of the Hellraiser guys from Extreme.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Filming has finished in Canada, maybe NYC next?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Spirit Halloween sent me a 20% off coupon. One of you goons can use it on a proton pack or whatever...

SPH1929

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 8, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cage posted:

Hello.

I never had the googles, but the foam beam was the first thing to go for me because of "authenticity" or whatever words my child brain would have used

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I never had the googles, but the foam beam was the first thing to go for me because of "authenticity" or whatever words my child brain would have used

Yes! Exactly! In my kid brain, I'd rather imagine the whole beam than have some sort of poor tangible version. So I just took it out, and lost it forever ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes! Exactly! In my kid brain, I'd rather imagine the whole beam than have some sort of poor tangible version. So I just took it out, and lost it forever ago.

See also: every crappy toy lightsaber I ever owned

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

At Gen Con this year I ran into a guy wearing a Real Ghostbusters cosplay and it made my day!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The comics actually had a crossover between the movie and cartoon Ghostbusters. Blonde Egon even makes a return in the TMNT crossover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish those comics didn't have the most offputting art I've ever seen in my life.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I think mine just got destroyed after a while because it was dirt-cheap foam not a pool noodle like you'd imagine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

I think mine just got destroyed after a while because it was dirt-cheap foam not a pool noodle like you'd imagine.

Yeah, dirt clung to it and it broke apart easily, even a kid who wanted to keep it would've had to toss it a few months down the line.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

some kid on the block took a giant bite out of mine so i threw it out

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The usual literature...

(from Reitman’s insta feed)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I remember that thing from the first Ghostbusters movie!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is that a ghost busting title belt?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Violator posted:

Is that a ghost busting title belt?

Making his way to the trap, from Queens, New York City, Ray STAAAAAAAAaaaaaannzzzz.

Also, the eye of Rassilon makes an appearance too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Making his way to the trap, from Queens, New York City, Ray STAAAAAAAAaaaaaannzzzz.

Also, the eye of Rassilon makes an appearance too.

Huh, not quite, but I can see what you mean!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I remember that thing from the first Ghostbusters movie!

A sequel referencing something from the first movie? WHAT!!!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bill Murray got into a car accident in Scotland the other day (he’s fine), so I guess he’s not filming on the new movie yet? If at all?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Bill Murray got into a car accident in Scotland the other day (he’s fine), so I guess he’s not filming on the new movie yet? If at all?

He's just a really bad driver.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The_Doctor posted:

If you get into a car accident with Bill Murray, does he say "Nobody will ever believe you" and drive away?

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

My friend took the swirly green pool noodle from a different GB toy and put it in his regular proton gun, which I thought was an effective compromise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

My friend took the swirly green pool noodle from a different GB toy and put it in his regular proton gun, which I thought was an effective compromise.

Ah the neutrona blaster!

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I was watching the Ghostbusters 2 deleted scenes on youtube and I got to thinking about this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQt9qDxOjOA&t=404s, where the Mayor's assistant is sucked into the slime, leaving only smoking shoes behind. The effects aren't finished so it's not quite clear what's happened to him, but is the implication here that he's dead, melted by the slime or something? In the finished film you see him singing with the crowd at the end, so he doesn't die in the final film, but I know there's a lot of alternate takes and differences between what was planned and what ended up in the final cut. Case in point; this scene shows Venkman informing the Mayor of the Ghostbusters being institutionalised, which is played as something that's new to the Mayor, whereas in the final film the Mayor learns this earlier and fires his assistant as a result.

If so, is the Mayor's assistant the only character to be killed in either two original films? Maybe that's why they changed it? The guy's a dick, but being melted alive seems like an overly harsh punishment, whereas being fired seems to be more fitting for the kind of dick that he is. It also kind of makes Venkman and the other Ghostbusters look like a sociopaths as they seem largely unconcerned and didn't even try to stop him from running straight up to the slime. Though to be fair, they went swimming in it earlier with nothing lethal happening to them, so maybe they thought it would be okay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm guessing that if they had kept the scene of Hardemeyer getting sucked into the slime, he'd still be singing at the end, but of course slimed (and positively charged).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s a supposedly leaked plot line for GB3 doing the rounds on reddit. It sounds pretty decent if true.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Karloff posted:

I was watching the Ghostbusters 2 deleted scenes on youtube and I got to thinking about this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQt9qDxOjOA&t=404s, where the Mayor's assistant is sucked into the slime, leaving only smoking shoes behind. The effects aren't finished so it's not quite clear what's happened to him, but is the implication here that he's dead, melted by the slime or something? In the finished film you see him singing with the crowd at the end, so he doesn't die in the final film, but I know there's a lot of alternate takes and differences between what was planned and what ended up in the final cut. Case in point; this scene shows Venkman informing the Mayor of the Ghostbusters being institutionalised, which is played as something that's new to the Mayor, whereas in the final film the Mayor learns this earlier and fires his assistant as a result.

Hardemeyer was sucked into the slime in the original shoot and while I don't have my February shooting script on me, I don't believe he ever returned. A lot of the stuff outside the museum was very heavily re-shot in March and April 1989, though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

There’s a supposedly leaked plot line for GB3 doing the rounds on reddit. It sounds pretty decent if true.

Seems like a collection of the theories everyone had when the movie got announced. I'm skeptical.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Timby posted:

Hardemeyer was sucked into the slime in the original shoot and while I don't have my February shooting script on me, I don't believe he ever returned. A lot of the stuff outside the museum was very heavily re-shot in March and April 1989, though.

Ah, thanks. I'd love to see a tell-all book about the making of these films one day, maybe one that could go into the Ghostbusters 3 project that never got off the ground. I mean Ackroyd would probably write such a book if someone asked him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Karloff posted:

Ah, thanks. I'd love to see a tell-all book about the making of these films one day, maybe one that could go into the Ghostbusters 3 project that never got off the ground. I mean Ackroyd would probably write such a book if someone asked him to.

The big one that came out a few years ago is likely the closest you'll get. Also, there's an upcoming documentary about BOTH films called "Cleanin' Up the Town". It's got interviews with virtually everyone. Not sure if it has Harold Ramis, but they managed to get David Margulies before he died.