Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the lib dems are going to be kingmakers and will side with the tories rather than labour despite having "no no deal brexit" as their one and only policy

Yeah you guys are completely hosed lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Looking forward to expending all my energy trying to vote from outside the UK (because lmao at actually still living in Britain) and then having my voting card "disappear" or show up 2 weeks after the election because Britain loving sucks at everything.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol in advance at the MPs who demand a deal for brexit, and yet who will not vote to replace the current government

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

lol in advance at the MPs who demand a deal for brexit, and yet who will not vote to replace the current government

well when your jobs on the line

anyway I bet at least a couple will rebel either way

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

The Walther PPK is as British as the royal family, which is to say it's German

You could argue there hasn't been an "English" monarch since 1066: first the Normans, then the equally French Anjou/Plantagenets, then the Twdrs, descended from a Welsh bravo, then the Stewarts of Scotland, that one glorious Dutch guy, and all Germans after that...

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I remember when politics was dull and boring and mostly about building new trains and poo poo, and nobody had to put up with rollercoasters of stress and chaos on a daily basis.
Bring back the tedious old farts who did nothing!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Stoatbringer posted:

I remember when politics was dull and boring and mostly about building new trains and poo poo, and nobody had to put up with rollercoasters of stress and chaos on a daily basis.

I dont

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Stoatbringer posted:

Name that specific time.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Stoatbringer posted:

They were still stealing all our poo poo, it was just they were more like the political equivalent of cheeky cockney pickpockets instead of blatant hammer-wielding moped gangs.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

Looking forward to expending all my energy trying to vote from outside the UK (because lmao at actually still living in Britain) and then having my voting card "disappear" or show up 2 weeks after the election because Britain loving sucks at everything.
If you've voluntarily hosed off, why do you feel you deserve a vote?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

jBrereton posted:

If you've voluntarily hosed off, why do you feel you deserve a vote?

Because I have family and friends in Britain, including disabled people who are literally on the verge of starving to death because their benefits have been cut. Also I don't want to be forced to return to poo poo island because my passport becomes worthless because I'm still a British citizen you loving stupid idiot.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

Because I have family and friends in Britain, including disabled people who are literally on the verge of starving to death because their benefits have been cut. Also I don't want to be forced to return to poo poo island because my passport becomes worthless because I'm still a British citizen you loving stupid idiot.
Do you pay taxes in the UK to help fund the benefit system or are you more of an entitled settler who may deign to pay the odd remittance?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Do you pay taxes in the UK to help fund the benefit system or are you more of an entitled settler who may deign to pay the odd remittance?

Yes, I've paid shitloads of taxes in the UK.

Sorry I didn't realise paying taxes was a pre-requisite of democracy. I guess you'd be happy if everyone on benefits couldn't vote?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
how nice they even wrote the letter to the eu so that boris just has to print it and take it to the mail (4th pic)

https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/status/1168560598650621953

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

Yes, I've paid shitloads of taxes in the UK.

Sorry I didn't realise paying taxes was a pre-requisite of democracy. I guess you'd be happy if everyone on benefits couldn't vote?
I'm very happy for people on benefits to vote. I'm not particularly impressed by people who've chosen to walk away also feeling like they deserve to be listened to like everyone else, especially when they don't actually pay into our tax system to help us out ("I've paid" is a particularly choice evasion).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tired: you must live in the uk to vote
wired: you must own part of the uk to vote

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

jBrereton posted:

I'm very happy for people on benefits to vote. I'm not particularly impressed by people who've chosen to walk away also feeling like they deserve to be listened to like everyone else, especially when they don't actually pay into our tax system to help us out ("I've paid" is a particularly choice evasion).

I lived in london and met my wife who is a dirty foreigner who was able to live here thanks to the EU. She was made redundant 4 times in the space of 2 years, she was informed by the UK government that she wasn't eligible for benefits due to being a disgusting foreigner and we ran out of money were eventually forced to move back to her home country because her parents offered to help out (my parents are dead so they couldn't help out). I continued to work remotely for a British company paying British taxes while we got back on our feet.

I'm against Brexit because it could end up splitting up my family if a no deal brexit removes my ability to live here and get medical assistance.

I'm sorry poor people wanting democracy hurts your feelings lol

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

jBrereton posted:

what we need is proper Britons running the government with a real stake in the system. We can start by instituting a property requirement for suffrage and modest poll tax to keep away the riff-raff and furthermore

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

what we need is proper Britons running the government with a real stake in the system. We can start by instituting a property requirement for suffrage and modest poll tax to keep away the riff-raff and furthermore
Working age people who live here have a ton of skin in the game regardless of how much money they have at any particular juncture. They are the people who bear the brunt of whatever is actually happening in the country.

We would not be in our current predicament if the very old, who are going to be dead before brexit really has a chance to play out, did not come out to bat for dad's army revanchism.

The other side of that is people who have walked away because it is currently Inconvenient to partake in our society but who will return when they feel like it, perhaps when the country is less lovely maybe. That also is undue influence on our politics even if for a handful of people who are Somewhat Here there is a sympathetic backstory.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a shame that you won't be able to have your profound mental illness treated on the NHS for much longer

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

jBrereton posted:

The other side of that is people who have walked away because it is currently Inconvenient to partake in our society but who will return when they feel like it, perhaps when the country is less lovely maybe.

Lmao at basically being Nigel Farage in C-SPAM. "Well it's fine that we're sending all these traitors immigrants back to their home countries, who only partake in our society because it's convenient and will return home when their countries are less lovely"

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I'm a citizen of a country I don't live in and of course I loving vote in my home country, what the gently caress

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Also I vote in yours

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
well there is a point in blaming the boomers for everything wrong with the world, since they voted for all of it, but it is an impressive level of dissonance to immediately go "if only we could ban these expats from having UNDUE INFLUENCE on ur politics". first you say the problem is people voting the wrong way (since democracy is bullshit and all), and then you propose to fix this by only letting the right people vote. yeah thats gonna turn out british

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

you know i think the 1.3m Britons working in the EU, all of whom face the very real possibility of losing their right to work, benefits, visas, and even homes following a No Deal Brexit, might have an incy wincy bit of "skin in the game." But hey, maybe they should have thought about that before putting such petty notions as "love" or "gainful employment" above gammon island :smugdog:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm not allowed to vote in the country I live in but I'm a stubborn fucker and I'm only leaving if they chuck me out.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

gently caress off with that poo poo jbrereton

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Pretty fuckin dumb that I get to vote here and all my mates who have been here 15 years longer don't, and are going to be kicked out imo

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nonsense posted:

Brexit can still happen!

Brexit has already happened, is happening, and will always happen.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

No borders and votes for everyone, that's what I say.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Brexit has already happened, is happening, and will always happen.

The sun never sets on Brexit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how can you say something's happened if you don't know what it means!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I am Brexit

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

how can you say something's happened if you don't know what it means!

The meaning of brexit...

*taps chest*

was inside here all along.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

No.

I am Brexit.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

An insane mind posted:

No.

I am Brexit.

loving wise up then.
Catch yourself on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cthulu Carl posted:

The sun never sets on Brexit.

And the blood never dries

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

This is Brexit...ah uhm...things have gone slightly...oh dear...well...uhm...they've-they've gone tits up and now I'm feeling terribly embarrassed and I know...ah...I know it's late day but and-and bear with me now but...what do I mean?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is THIS what brexit means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

GSD posted:

is THIS what brexit means?

no. it means brexit.