Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm kind of stuck on the BE-E final map. It feels like there's too many flyers ready to assassinate anyone they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I sent the entire army up the middle. No regrets.

That map ran me out of Divine Pulse uses the first time I did it, not gonna lie.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
is the edelgard route final map more or less bullshit than the blue lions final map

because the latter broke me so hard i tuned the difficulty down to normal when i did it a second time

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Edelgard's final map is the simplest, probably. I've played GD and seen BL. A lot of it is just having the right tools and saving gambits.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

golden deer endgame was challenging throughout on hard, but i still felt in control throughout the entire thing, unlike with blue lions endgame

if there's anything that can make edelgard's endgame easier on me that i should watch out for, then i'm all ears

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
1. Group up.
2. Try to save gambits for the end.
3. Have at least one dependable flyer.
4. Have a strong gauntlet wielder with the dragon claws.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hmm, I was playing it really fast and loose on this run. I have no flyers, and I didn't grab the dragon claws.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

not looking forward to scrounging up the mythril to repair the dragon claws, but thanks for the rest

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Dragon claws actually use wootz steel

I just didn't bother because they have the exact same stats as silver gauntlets

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I basically had no fliers, was on my first run, and my only melee was really Caspar.

I think I just ran up the middle, then held tight and did a big Stride turn from the middle to bum rush the boss.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Man, Blue Lions even on normal is kindaaaa
horrifying, huh? Yeesh trying to imagine this on Lunatic...

Also, question about the map.
what was the point of the slither mages if they just retreat? From the fact they called attention to them, to how they were in the four corners of the map and how the prior cutscene was about them "getting into position" I thought that taking them down would weaken the final boss but I guess not? I didn't mess anything up did I?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

rannum posted:

what was the point of the slither mages if they just retreat? From the fact they called attention to them, to how they were in the four corners of the map and how the prior cutscene was about them "getting into position" I thought that taking them down would weaken the final boss but I guess not? I didn't mess anything up did I?

The slitherers are never even mentioned in Blue Lions so the fact that they retreat feels almost like a sequel hook, if something like that was possible in Three Houses

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jimmydalad posted:

Ingrid is turning into my MVP. With Alert Stance + and Evasion Ring, literally nothing can touch her. She consistently has 0% hit chance on her with like every enemy. It is beautiful.

When my girlfriend was playing Blue Lions at first Ingrid was absolutely poo poo, almost a joke - if you moved her near the enemies they'd ALL target her suddenly as well, like they knew how wank she was.
But once she promoted to Pegasus and Falcon Knights she became a killing machine, the biggest turnaround. I don't really look at stats so I dunno what it was that changed but it was unbelievable.

So I recruited her on Golden Deer and used her there too and she was just as good. I know - fliers are mad in this - but it was interesting to see such a huge turnaround.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

The slitherers are never even mentioned in Blue Lions so the fact that they retreat feels almost like a sequel hook, if something like that was possible in Three Houses

We do take their leader out and then, by the end of this map once I regroup, the person they were working with so I think it'd be hard for them to really get anywhere.

Is interesting the one mage with Boryz or whatever had a name, I guess

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

rannum posted:

The slither guys feature more on other routes and most likely they were on the map just to make a point that they were with Edelgard to be consistent with other routes.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

rannum posted:

for all the troubles i had with this map on hard mode, i'm glad that the game at least threw me a bone by letting lysithea dodge a vantage (and potential wrath crit) to take out the final boss. who the gently caress thought that giving the final boss such a massive range siege weapon was a good idea anyway

and i guess it's interesting that as far as i can recall, you don't see any slitherers in chapter 17 of blue lions, whereas you see slitherers explicitly identified as such in chapter 17 of golden deer to kinda set up the final act of that route

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Alright beat Blue Lions. That was a nice sad finale.

I really came out of this game liking Dimitri waaaaay more than I thought I would, though I do have a few minor quibbles with the route Rhea not even making an appearance is hilarious, Dedue feels like he should be a smidge more important, and I still have some questions about Patricia that I'll probably bug the spoiler thread about.

And I S ranked gilbet just to see it. It's...way less aggravating than Alois' entire deal was (which I swear is trying to play it both ways, while Gilbert is very steadfast in what his deal is in all supports), though the usual issues with platonic s ranks still apply. The final image with Gilbert is hilarious though.

My paired endings this run:
Byleth/Gilbert: sighhhhh its fine i guess
Dimitri/Dedue: very sweet
Sylvain/Felix: just two bros growing so close they die on the same day because they can't be without each other
Mercedes/Alois: I wanted her with Annette!! God drat it. Alois i wish you didn't have nearly as many a ranks as you do.
Raphael/Flayn: really cute, would recommend Screamercise is sweeping the nation!. no idea how this happened, I was trying to pair him with Marianne.
Marianne/Hanneman: I have no clue how this happened but Hanneman's paired endings are all pretty interesting
Ingrid/Seteth: I didn't expect this to end in marriage, but I'm a sucker for "they settled down and had a restful fish-filled life" type endings. Feel like Seteth & Flayn paired endings should probably mention their """secret"""
Annette/Ashe: I'm glad my good boy had a happy ending with good girl but i'm miffed at this ruining annette/mercedes. If she paired with anyone else I thought it'd be Felix, she was near him way more often than he was next to Sylvain.
Catherine/Shamir: Hell yeah!!

today's lesson is: always double check your paired endings before skipping 2 weeks to the end game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

On Dedue

He can actually die if you don't do his paralogue, so that's why there's limits to his importance

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

Anyone got any advice for chapter 17 of Black Eagles route? I’ve played it twice now and the split-up of the party, constant reinforcements and really tough monsters have me stumped

How strong is your Edelgar? Giving her Stride and Warping her up means you can Amyr-bounce her and Kill Dedue and Dimitri in the first turn. That, and beating Rhea Stops the reinforcements.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

On Dedue

He can actually die if you don't do his paralogue, so that's why there's limits to his importance

I get that but also I don't think he should have been able to die at all. It was nice he did get a few scenes, but it felt more awkwardly inserted than if he just always survived and had been slowly searching for Dimitri on his own ends and then always treated as a story element.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

oh right i've been sitting on endings too all weekend long

ferdinand/bernadetta: stumbled into this one just by having them do riding school, but it was good

mercedes/annette: god this blue lions run had so many same-sex til death did they part, but even then, not really?? endings, and it was good

felix/sylvain: already covered upthread

lysithea/hanneman: the option i had for making sure my girl doesn't die young and it's great that she gets to live a life where she never needed her crests to excel in, and also jesus gently caress having her nosferatu tank from chapter 10 onward as a bishop/gremory meant that she ended up scalping more enemies than dimitri or byleth even engaged, period

dimitri/dedue: i went hard for this though it's a real shame that dedue couldn't really pick back up for me due to his extended absence, even with a knowledge gem

byleth/ashe: i was hellbent on this for my first save, though enough about how much i never want to do this final map again. also i dunno how ashe ended up having more wins than byleth but hey

and then the great spouse switcheroo from my second save, with byleth/dimitri and dedue/ashe

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 2, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That Dimitri screen is the only good one of these s rank screens I've seen. Everyone else is just a little too off model.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i liked or loved all the ones i've gotten so far, though i've seen a few on the wiki i wasn't terribly fond of

though for this dimitri screen that line about the hands was what really sealed it for me

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
My Petra is 29 now and made bank as an assassin-dancer, but i'm not sure what class i should be going for at 30. There doesn't really seem to be a proper upgrade. Mortal Savant, maybe???

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

My Petra is 29 now and made bank as an assassin-dancer, but i'm not sure what class i should be going for at 30. There doesn't really seem to be a proper upgrade. Mortal Savant, maybe???

Assassin or dancer

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i liked or loved all the ones i've gotten so far, though i've seen a few on the wiki i wasn't terribly fond of

though for this dimitri screen that line about the hands was what really sealed it for me

the firm hand grab in the ending cutscene was so good

blue lions: a game about the power of a hand to those in need

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

not gonna lie, Dedue and Ashe fixing racism through food is really heartwarming

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

rannum posted:

the firm hand grab in the ending cutscene was so good

blue lions: a game about the power of a hand to those in need

i've only just started the black eagles run and am not yet all that acquainted with edelgard but goddamn if the ending cutscene wasn't wrenching for me in its own right, given the pains blue lions took to emphasize how important dimitri and edelgard's relationship was, how that huge shock of betrayal really began dimitri's downward spiral, and how despite everything, he still cared about her a lot at the end and wanted a world where they could live and work together, but they were star-crossed and it was never to be

DC Murderverse posted:

not gonna lie, Dedue and Ashe fixing racism through food is really heartwarming

:agreed: master chef boys using their talents for great ends

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

rannum posted:

That Dimitri screen is the only good one of these s rank screens I've seen. Everyone else is just a little too off model.

yeah, I truly don't understand this. not to mention they're not especially great images for the most part (based on the half dozen or so I've seen). put both of them in the goddamn picture at least

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

with the ashe CG how hard could it have been to draw boyleth's hand instead of girl byleth's hand for a same sex S support anyway

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

with the ashe CG how hard could it have been to draw boyleth's hand instead of girl byleth's hand for a same sex S support anyway

Until you said something I didn't even see Byleth's hand. It was so perfectly covered by the textbox I thought Ashe was just doing a hand grasp to be cute and was already throwing together conspiracies that he was a scrapped samesex partner

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

rannum posted:

Until you said something I didn't even see Byleth's hand. It was so perfectly covered by the textbox I thought Ashe was just doing a hand grasp to be cute and was already throwing together conspiracies that he was a scrapped samesex partner

yeah for all the units we think could or should have been same-sex partners, ashe deffo stands out with the A support and his CG. and even in the ending titlecard you'd just have to change one word to make it work!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 2, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm finally doing my Black Eagles run and why did nobody tell me how delightful Linhardt is

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
All students are pretty delightful, except Ignatz and Cyril.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

If you would follow that statement up with an "except" you're not qualified to say it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I'm finally doing my Black Eagles run and why did nobody tell me how delightful Linhardt is

It took me awhile to warm up to him but once that happened I loved him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RoyalScion posted:

Ignatz is good. Cyril's C support with Manuela redeemed him for me.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I appreciate Cyril for giving Lysithea a chance to be a big sister figure at the very least

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

RoyalScion posted:

All students are pretty delightful, except Ignatz Lorenz and Cyril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HenryEx posted:

the master classes are kind of garbage overall unless you're a punchman or can fly, so i'd stick with assassining

currently hitting the endgame and black eagles is a hell of a choice for a first run i have to say. tfw you don't want to kill your student and accidentally invade the entire continent, whooooooops

my units have been freed from their astoundingly lovely level luck from part 1 but still refuse to ever level speed

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 2, 2019