Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This is just crappy online radar but I don't think Florida's going to get out of this without a little damage. Would be happy to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BiggerBoat posted:

Do you seriously not have google?

Also, when these threads happen everyone predicts massive death tolls but that's really not what happens. Yes, there are casualties but most of the damage is to people's way of life, infrastructure and property. The storms turn actual cities and towns into 3rd world hell holes. Typically, the actual number of deaths from drowning, flying debris, tornadoes and poo poo is fairly small. I'm not understating the danger or making light of anything but death tolls directly attributed to the storms are smaller than you'd think, even for people in the direct path.

Flooding is by far the biggest problem and it can take years for someone affected by them to get their life back to normal, to say nothing of the financial ruin.
yeah

New Orleans lost 50% of it's population and still like 30% below of it's population projections pre-Katrina. That's two hundred thousand people displaced, pretty much never to return. Climate Change is death by a thousand paper cuts. A tear here, a fold here, and it adds up. We're already in a housing crisis because we aren't building new housing, hell, we aren't even rebuilding lost housing and we 100% definitely are not even replacing damaged infrastructure. Hurricane Sandy damage is still not repaired almost 10 years later to one of the wealthiest areas in the country, lmao. people already can't afford to live where they are, they won't be able to afford to get displaced because there's no housing anywhere else. Eventually these thousands of lacerations that occur to society will add up because they're just getting left open to bleed.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BiggerBoat posted:

Flooding is by far the biggest problem and it can take years for someone affected by them to get their life back to normal, to say nothing of the financial ruin.

kinda though it's inaccurate to lump all that together into "flooding", the #1 short and long term danger from a hurricane is wind and the storm surge caused by said wind

flooding due to the storm's rainfall is also a big deal, but the hurricane classification system is based on wind for good reason - it causes immediate and widespread damage to structures and civil infrastructure in a way that's quite different from high intensity rainfall

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

Do you seriously not have google?

Also, when these threads happen everyone predicts massive death tolls but that's really not what happens. Yes, there are casualties but most of the damage is to people's way of life, infrastructure and property. The storms turn actual cities and towns into 3rd world hell holes. Typically, the actual number of deaths from drowning, flying debris, tornadoes and poo poo is fairly small. I'm not understating the danger or making light of anything but death tolls directly attributed to the storms are smaller than you'd think, even for people in the direct path.

what point do you think you're making here other than "i am a massively racist prick"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

while I, in principle, agree, Puerto Rico's shows that these cat 5 storms have the potential for catastrophic loss of life. we'll see how the Bahamas fair, but it could be very bad. but a Florida landfall is less everyone dieing and more everyone being turbo hosed.

That's what I was driving at so thanks. When I rode out Matthew, I was scared but never thought my life was in danger. People trapped on an island is of course a totally different matter.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

kinda though it's inaccurate to lump all that together into "flooding", the #1 short and long term danger from a hurricane is wind and the storm surge caused by said wind

flooding due to the storm's rainfall is also a big deal, but the hurricane classification system is based on wind for good reason - it causes immediate and widespread damage to structures and civil infrastructure in a way that's quite different from high intensity rainfall

I think we can all just agree that poo poo gets hosed up and without immediate and longterm aid the misery for the survivors and displaced peeps is horrific.
Aid stations and camps are fine but once those go away you have a bunch of people left with nothing and you can't survive in this country with nothing. You are basically turbofucked.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

what point do you think you're making here other than "i am a massively racist prick"

lol

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
looks like the storm is going due north? Florida has their collective buttholes clenched

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

What?

WTF is racist about my post? The "third world" comment? Then let me re-phrase.

I live in Florida going all the way back to Andrew and what I meant was that the structural and property damage, the displacement, the floods and the devastation that destroys entire towns that seemed and looked normal before hand is the root of the damage these storms do. And also that the loss of lives is not normally the main outcome nor the foremost problem. Homestead is a good example. I drove through it maybe a year after Andrew struck and it was astonishing to see.

I'm on the NE FL coast right now facing another major storm, my 3rd in 4 years, and I've seen my own street look like a shanty town twice after people had their homes flooded and lost power for weeks at a time. My own hometown took a year to recover after Matthew and then got clobbered by Irma a year later. My friends were displaced and ruined.

So gently caress off with calling me a racist, you rear end in a top hat, and read what I write. Quit trying to stir up poo poo. Or come down here and live what I do.

Seriously, eat poo poo with that nonsense, forums poster "A few drunk boners"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

based on these projections, is it possible it somehow just decides to ride the entire coast in the perfect spot to stay like a cat 2-3 the whole time and just wrecks everything

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

yeah

New Orleans lost 50% of it's population and still like 30% below of it's population projections pre-Katrina. That's two hundred thousand people displaced, pretty much never to return. Climate Change is death by a thousand paper cuts. A tear here, a fold here, and it adds up. We're already in a housing crisis because we aren't building new housing, hell, we aren't even rebuilding lost housing and we 100% definitely are not even replacing damaged infrastructure. Hurricane Sandy damage is still not repaired almost 10 years later to one of the wealthiest areas in the country, lmao. people already can't afford to live where they are, they won't be able to afford to get displaced because there's no housing anywhere else. Eventually these thousands of lacerations that occur to society will add up because they're just getting left open to bleed.

two-thirds of the city's population were displaced

the mayor at the time was coming up for reelection and after delaying the vote ended up sending out voting machines for polls as far out as houston and atlanta for absentee voters, despite lawsuits from the NAACP and ACORN (:rip:)

this upcoming census is expected to confirm that new orleans is now whiter than before, though my understanding is that that's mostly local views unsupported by any serious studies, and that it's still gonna be minority-majority

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What?

WTF is racist about my post? The "third world" comment? Then let me re-phrase.

I live in Florida going all the way back to Andrew and what I meant was that the structural and property damage, the displacement, the floods and the devastation that destroys entire towns that seemed and looked normal before hand is the root of the damage these storms do. And also that the loss of lives is not normally the main outcome nor the foremost problem. Homestead is a good example. I drove through it maybe a year after Andrew struck and it was astonishing to see.

I'm on the NE FL coast right now facing another major storm, my 3rd in 4 years, and I've seen my own street look like a shanty town twice after people had their homes flooded and lost power for weeks at a time. My own hometown took a year to recover after Matthew and then got clobbered by Irma a year later. My friends were displaced and nearly ruined. Several of them twice.

It's almost as if a major hurricane can suddenly throw an entire community into the same problems that impoverished nations face on a daily basis. THAT was my loving point you jerk.

So gently caress off with calling me a racist, you rear end in a top hat, and read what I write. Quit trying to stir up poo poo. Or come down here and live what I do.

Seriously, eat poo poo with that nonsense, forums poster "A few drunk boners"

Whoops, quote is not edit

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im being told death is certain, very worrying.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

im being told death is certain, very worrying.

honestly the certainty is comforting

just imagine if death wasnt certain

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I picked a poor week to be hospitalized in Orlando.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Crossposting this:

watch this to see what it looks like without surge

https://www.facebook.com/mackeymedia/videos/10156590935978527

now watch this, holy gently caress

https://www.facebook.com/mackeymedia/videos/10156592713773527/?view=permalink&id=2469491529952406

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Well, yes, there is something of a slight difference between an island and a shoal deep enough for fishing boats and pleasure craft to traverse, and heavy storms tend to shift the line a tad.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

palm trees are so drat good at being palm trees :radcat:

Bulgakov has issued a correction as of 20:20 on Sep 2, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

palm trees are so drat good at being palm trees :radcat:

Videos out of Abaco are showing palm trees with all the fronds torn off, which you pretty much never see

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

has that person posted any updates since then

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Speaking of palm trees, from abaco's airport:

Bulgakov posted:

has that person posted any updates since then

Yeah he'll be fine, it's basically everyone else who isn't in a house built to withstand hurricanes 15 feet up on stilts that is in trouble.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
naked palm trees are just sticks

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

this dumb gently caress and his water troops hat

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

they look like giant apple stems plucked and tossed away

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

nassau was so lucky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk_GoTxJf-g

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah he'll be fine, it's basically everyone else who isn't in a house built to withstand hurricanes 15 feet up on stilts that is in trouble.

those palm trees are unnatural and not worthy of satans grand hurricane plans

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

that hat literally won him the election

his senile opponent chose to make fun of it and he turned it around and made it "vote for me or you hate the military" and welp

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

platzapS posted:

snuggle up next to walt disneys ice corpse in the center of the epcot ball. very secure.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Addamere posted:

honestly the certainty is comforting

just imagine if death wasnt certain

whoa

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

every single person in that area who wasn't rich enough to build their house on gigantic stilts is loving dead

that was also 8 hours ago so this dude might be dead too

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao my workplace cancelled work for tuesday.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Bulgakov posted:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

every single person in that area who wasn't rich enough to build their house on gigantic stilts is loving dead

that was also 8 hours ago so this dude might be dead too

not if he stays out of the water

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

With those kind of winds who needs a runway anyway? Just cut off the mooring line and lift off!

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/iceyefi/status/1168618527751888898

god drat

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Real hurthling! posted:

space coast ghost to ghost is my vote for thread title after landfall
mine too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

while I, in principle, agree, Puerto Rico's shows that these cat 5 storms have the potential for catastrophic loss of life. we'll see how the Bahamas fair, but it could be very bad. but a Florida landfall is less everyone dieing and more everyone being turbo hosed.

I was part of the recovery effort in PR and the actual hit of the hurricane didn't kill that many people. The complete collapse of the infrastructure is what caused the vast majority of deaths. I'm guessing its going to be similar to bahamas, and the death count will be mostly people in hospitals dying from lack of resources, people not being able to get their dialysis, insulin, getting sick, over exerting themselves, accidents, etc