Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The whole reason that Monopoly is notorious for taking a hundred years to play is because people change the rules to make it more "fair." The game was designed to end quickly after one person gains the lead as the person with the most money accumulates more and more until everyone else goes bankrupt. It's not supposed to be fair, because :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RareAcumen posted:

Capitalism attacked and stole the game from the person who made it originally and all those house rules like free parking money are terrible and add an entire run of Avengers Endgame to the time it takes to play it once.

But also in a way keep the game true to its source because the Free Parking house rule fits pretty well with the fantasy so many have of winning the lottery being the only hope of staying alive.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

If you land on a property and dont buy it, it goes to auction. That rule alone cuts like an hour off the game time.

And you can buy houses at any time, so if someone lands on a property you own you can slap down the houses only once they land there.

Surprise houses were the best of things. Just surprise hotel

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Len posted:

Surprise houses were the best of things. Just surprise hotel

Build every house all the time and never make hotels.

I will tank this game with my slums.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
More like Monotony

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Isn't it meant to intentionally show how capital fucks over everyone? It's not meant to be a fun game, it's meant to be a social lesson. How it got to be so popular in the first place is kind of mystifying.

The way some people act in regards to rich vs poor, the attitude can be like 'heh, guess you don't have what it takes to make it in the finance game :smug: better leave it to the real players'. So basically it's pro-gamer attitudes but for board games and actual finance i.e if you lost the game it's because you're not very good, not because the game is bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At least there is still strategy to be found in Monopoly. You could reasonably play well in Monopoly's end game even if you're not the leader by mortgaging irrelevant properties and building houses on properties that people are about to roll through. It's obviously still random which spot they land on, but there's SOMETHING you can do to try and swing things in your favor. Not like a lot of other really long-standing board games where the winner is- literally -a dice roll.

edit: The recent Monopoly game that came out a little while back actually suggests this to you if you're a new player, which I guess is a little thing about that game. I also like being able to choose how hard I wing the dice so I can try and knock over my friends' pieces. Take that you dumb rear end thimble!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:02 on Sep 2, 2019

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I have a Simpsons Monopoly that doesn't use cash, and instead every player has a credit card. It's the future!

There is one credit card reader. It makes Homer noises.

Every single transaction made in the game goes through that one card reader. So if you thought regular games last too long...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Veib posted:

I have a Simpsons Monopoly that doesn't use cash, and instead every player has a credit card. It's the future!

There is one credit card reader. It makes Homer noises.

Every single transaction made in the game goes through that one card reader. So if you thought regular games last too long...

Haha I remember when the electronic banking fad came about. The reader had a little LED on it to show how much money was on your card, and you put it into one end of the reader to add money and the opposite end to take it away, with a little calculator in the middle for specifying a value. It was very novel and :krad: but yes it did make things go even slower when your grandma had no idea how to use the thing every single turn.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

The way some people act in regards to rich vs poor, the attitude can be like 'heh, guess you don't have what it takes to make it in the finance game :smug: better leave it to the real players'. So basically it's pro-gamer attitudes but for board games and actual finance i.e if you lost the game it's because you're not very good, not because the game is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJSYkpLwI2c

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Me and my brother used to play a board game called Hotel when we were kids. It was better balanced for 2 players and quicker than Monopoly. I also don’t remember ever getting upset after a game, whereas Monopoly seems to invite family feuds.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mierenneuker posted:

Me and my brother used to play a board game called Hotel when we were kids. It was better balanced for 2 players and quicker than Monopoly. I also don’t remember ever getting upset after a game, whereas Monopoly seems to invite family feuds.

In a charity shop I found out that Monopoly had a sequel - a coal mine simulation game that was credited as "From the People that brought you Monopoly"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

The only purpose of playing Monopoly is to start massive fights from playing Monopoly.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Mierenneuker posted:

It also had awesome cardboard buildings.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You can upgrade your conveyor belts in Satisfactory just by selecting the upgraded belt type and clicking on the belt you want to replace. No need to demolish a stretch of belt, building the new one, and replacing it with a better version, just "make this Conveyor Belt Mk 2 into a Conveyor Mk 3 please", as long as you've got the materials for it. Even get the previous belt's materials back in the process (FICSIT does not waste!), so you can have a rolling-down effect of being to upgrade a mk3 to a mk4, use the materials from the mk3 to upgrade some mk2s, use those materials to upgrade mk1s. It's great.

You can even do it while standing on the belt, which is great for the long-range ones you've got going around. Upgrade a belt, be carried rapidly for a while, upgrade the belt you're on, and whoosh before you know it you're at the next line to upgrade.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Sep 2, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PancakeTransmission posted:

It also had awesome cardboard buildings.

And it's just cutthroat and mean.

If you buy a property it's worthless until you build a hotel. If someone else lands on the spot to buy a property they can buy the property from you. No, you don't get a say in it. Just gently caress you this is mine now.

When it comes to building a hotel you have to roll to see if you get approved. You can either get a green light, a red light, pay more, pay less. So you can't just build. And you have to declare what you want to build before the roll so you can't be like "oh half cost? I'm adding more hotels"

Oh and once you have a hotel you need entrances. Each hotel has one tile that for sure can hold an entrance but everything else can be locked down. See most squares have two locations for entrances on them one for the hotel on either side of the road. And once an entrance is down you can't add another. So it's possible to fully build a 5star hotel with a pool but only get a couple entrances making it mostly worthless.

And my favorite, if you don't get asked for rent before the next person rolls you don't pay. Which sounds like an easy thing to be on top of, but once the board fills up with 3d buildings it isn't.

God I love Hotels

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best board game was Mousetrap because you could just build it instantly and gently caress around with it instead of playing the game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

The best board game was Mousetrap because you could just build it instantly and gently caress around with it instead of playing the game

Mousetrap was great for evil lairs of small action figure bad guys when Santa was being a tool and didn't bring you the actual evil lairs of those bad guys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my nephews wanted Mousetrap for Christmas and he got it but man, it is just a terrible game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Games with 3d gimmick boards are the best. We played HeroQuest at the boardgame parlor last week and while the game itself did not age the best the tiny furniture is great.

I want to build this but I don't have anywhere to actually store it in my apartment https://boingboing.net/2019/07/21/foolish-mortals.html

And there exists a genre of tradgame that's dexterity based. And it's a fun time but this post is going to bring up one in particular. Rhino Hero. A game where you slowly build a tower for a Rhino to climb. It normally looks like this:

But they have a gimmick version that's just a little bit more intense.

There's also a pvp based one where you can build walls around each other making it hard to move your meeple up a tower.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
13 Dead End Drive was cool but also a bit of a nightmare

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Wasabi the J posted:

Build every house all the time and never make hotels.

I will tank this game with my slums.

There's also the oft-forgotten rule that if you run out of house tokens, nobody can buy houses. Your extensive building projects not only make you a bunch of money, but prevent anybody else from doing the same.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dash Rendar posted:

13 Dead End Drive was cool but also a bit of a nightmare

I remember that game being really fun. It's somewhere at my dad's house but the chandelier is broken.

I don't think I have Great Grape Escape anymore which was a game about moving from point a to point b but sometimes you got crushed (your piece was a grape formed out of playdough)

The game parlor got Volcano Island which was fun but after all the hype I've read on these forums over the years it was slightly disappointing

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4f5mwJzek

Lousy game, but a cool set.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Len posted:

I don't think I have Great Grape Escape anymore which was a game about moving from point a to point b but sometimes you got crushed (your piece was a grape formed out of playdough)

I had this, and I remember playing it using the glitter Play-Doh that was around at the time. :kiddo:

I seem to remember activating the trap in Mouse Trap having two possible outcomes:

1. The trap doesn't work, because the man doesn't go in the loving pan.

2. The trap doesn't work, because the man doesn't go in the loving pan, but the cage falls anyway because the board was jostled enough by the trap activating.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We found the old Goosebumps game at the thrift store and tried to play last night, took about 20 min to figure out how to set it up and then the game itself is pretty boring.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I picked up the Ace Attorney trilogy cheap on switch because I'd never got round to playing them, and it's not exactly a little thing but I'm really enjoying the. insanely inefficient legal system in Not-Japan

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Retro Futurist posted:

We found the old Goosebumps game at the thrift store and tried to play last night, took about 20 min to figure out how to set it up and then the game itself is pretty boring.

I found Rock Jocks at Goodwill a couple weeks back. The wall was there and the jocks were there but the things you're supposed to put in their bags to weight them down were all missing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Werong Bustope posted:

I picked up the Ace Attorney trilogy cheap on switch because I'd never got round to playing them, and it's not exactly a little thing but I'm really enjoying the. insanely inefficient legal system in Not-Japan

What are you talking about, it's incredibly efficient.
You get accused of murder, you get executed in three days unless your case gets solved real-time in the courtroom. It's very quick!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bewilderment posted:

What are you talking about, it's incredibly efficient.
You get accused of murder, you get executed in three days unless your case gets solved real-time in the courtroom. It's very quick!

'Efficient' is basically the only positive adjective you can ascribe to it. And keep in mind it usually doesn't even take three days, because there's like one decent defense attorney.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Cleretic posted:

'Efficient' is basically the only positive adjective you can ascribe to it. And keep in mind it usually doesn't even take three days, because there's like one decent defense attorney.

I've only every played the demo of an iPhone version but as I understand it, there's exactly one and he's fantastic.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Inefficient at prosecuting actual criminals but very efficient at moving people through the system, to be fair.

I want to know about all the less high profile crimes - does burglary still get you three days -> death? what about shoplifting? why is there no provision for manslaughter or accidental killing? is this a flawed utopia where all social ills have been solved except for murder? I love it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

(tagging this for the person who just started playing the games)

well, with how often defense attorneys seem to get killed in japanifornia it's no wonder there's only one decent one left :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's like, accidental Highlander rules for most of the series. There's one good defense attorney in Japanifornia at any one time, it's just that who it is changes. It takes until the fifth game for there two be two active, good defense attorneys simultaneously for any significant length of time.

And I don't think they have the death penalty, either, it's just that you never see the people charged as guilty again so it's easy to presume death. Lana from the AA1 bonus case is imprisoned for conspiracy but lives, Pearl's mother is convicted in the second but lives to try and fail to orchestrate Maya's murder in the third. Dahlia in AA3 is executed, but that's well before the events of the rest of the series to the point where the fact she was executed is a surprise and a plot point. I believe it was said the death penalty was outlawed between her conviction and AA3's 'present' but she was still on death row, but I might be mistaken.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Simon Blackquill was on Death Row though, I think?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You get a burglary case in 3.

It has been years since I played a game from the series but I think they do nod towards the fact that Japanifornia is not a good place to live in due to these restrictions instead of it just being a thrown away gameplay mechanic.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Samuringa posted:

You get a burglary case in 3.

It has been years since I played a game from the series but I think they do nod towards the fact that Japanifornia is not a good place to live in due to these restrictions instead of it just being a thrown away gameplay mechanic.

Also that every defense attorney has to be a detective as well. Two vastly different skill sets that don’t especially overlap!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

And it's not enough to prove the defendant couldn't possibly have committed the crime, they're still going to prison unless the defence attorney can find the real culprit and prove that they did it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

And it's not enough to prove the defendant couldn't possibly have committed the crime, they're still going to prison unless the defence attorney can find the real culprit and prove that they did it.

Also the prosecutor is allowed to whip, throw hot coffee at, and otherwise threaten the defense attorney who is if they say the wrong thing once is instantly disbarred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also prosecutors have authority over police officers and can have them demoted or fired if they don't come up with the 'correct' evidence.