Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Culture wars you say? By the Tories you say?

I am shocked, shocked to find that here's gambling going on in this establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Angepain posted:

oh boy can't wait for the political football I'm contained in to be kicked around even more, this'll be fun

Nah culture stuff is going to get completely sidelined by Brexit and economics. If they end up doing things like that it'll just be speaking to the people who unironically use 'looney left' anyway.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I can't imagine why the audience of a person who uses the Palestinian flag to represent Labour are heavily right wing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Quoting Sun Tzu is such a reliable indicator of a loving idiot, lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Accurate.

e: I also like these two

https://twitter.com/jsphctrl/status/1168571905110171648

https://twitter.com/jsphctrl/status/1168543831970725889

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 2, 2019

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Times, every other day: transgenderism is brain disease

Also The Times: the proles are susceptible to being manipulated by their innate prejudices in ways that the metropolitan elite never would be

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

Speaking to the cabinet earlier, Boris Johnson said EU leaders had clarity on the UK’s position but that he believed negotiations were being “held back” because Brussels believed parliament would find a way to stop a no-deal scenario or cancel Brexit altogether. A senior government official said:

quote:

The impression he was getting from EU leaders was that they will not engage until the prospect of parliament cancelling the referendum was ended.

MPs are effectively considering tomorrow whether to hand control of the negotiations to Jeremy Corbyn. That would be shooting ourselves in the foot and, if Conservative MPs help him to make no deal illegal tomorrow and therefore create another pointless delay, the government’s negotiating position will be wrecked.

What they are effectively voting for is to hold a rapid election. And they will have to explain what they are doing.

I can't work out if these clowns seriously believe that all that it'll take to get serious concessions from the EU on the Irish Border is if the government had a strong grip on Parliament and could do what it wanted. Because even if BXP held a 2/3rd commons majority and Farage was crowned God Emperor, that wouldn't happen.

There is no better negotiating position because the EU is essentially done negotiating. How do these people not get that :psyduck:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Junior G-man posted:

There is no better negotiating position because the EU is essentially done negotiating. How do these people not get that :psyduck:
The concepts of making rational decisions based on objective facts and arguing in good faith are literally inconceivable to them. All negotiations are lies and bluster, and by Jove we're the best liars and the biggest blusterers there are!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
best one recently

https://twitter.com/jsphctrl/status/1166624714837676032

e: though i missed

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 2, 2019

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Metalheads, some you expressed interest in Raised by Owls in the previous thread. You might want to know the singer’s mum is selling some clothes on ebay

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I swear to gently caress if I see one more journalist going "I've got the big scoop, BoJo might be heading for a GE in October 14! This speech was a ploy! :thunk:"

Of course it is. Even BoJo's new distraction dog has figured that out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/ninakauser/status/1168603767631228928?s=21

Whoa.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what happened

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Say Boris calls for a vote on a GE and Parliament decided actually we don’t want that, enact our legislation. What happens then?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Looke posted:

Say Boris calls for a vote on a GE and Parliament decided actually we don’t want that, enact our legislation. What happens then?

Hellworld.

You should be familiar with it by now, we've lived in it long enough.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Looke posted:

I think the universe implodes because the opposition just voted against an election.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Looke posted:

He'll be found in contempt of parliament, likely with the same devastating consequences as felt by Theresa May.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Looke posted:

5 week prorogation followed by 2 weeks of inactivity followed by a hard Brexit.

And also a constitutional crisis, probably the biggest since Cromwell, where a quasi-elected leader defies the will of Parliament. God knows. Hopefully a general strike and luxury gay space communism under Jam Man.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

This is the timeline where Bill and Ted fail their history class

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is Boris doing all this so he doesn't have to go and pretend that he is negotiating with the EU?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168614313483018240?s=20

Lol I wonder if a tory has located a spine.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ed Vaisey has no loving spine and will do whatever the party tells him to. Although it's possible that the schism in the party is so bad that he is now uncertain which half to back, because he can't work out who'll be paying his cheques when the dust settles.

Source: is local mp and turd.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168609464192307200
They're all such spineless pricks I wouldn't be surprised if the legislation fails.

Also fully expecting Change UK and the rest of the independents to abstain like cowards knowing they face an election.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
They're all loving spineless, maybe there will be like 3 tories who were going to be deselected anyway or hated the party and don't give a gently caress, but they'll be offset by the UKIP Trinity in Labour

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168609464192307200
They're all such spineless pricks I wouldn't be surprised if the legislation fails.

Also fully expecting Change UK and the rest of the independents to abstain like cowards knowing they face an election.

can't believe Steve Brine is trying to preserve his position

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Spoiler: They can.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Quoting Sun Tzu is such a reliable indicator of a loving idiot, lol
The Virgin Sun Tzu and the Chad von Clausewitz.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I exclusively quote Benny Hill for all my philosophical arguments

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

CGI Stardust posted:

can't believe Steve Brine is trying to preserve his position

He's just salty that Boris won't listen to him.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Grape posted:

Spoiler: They can.

You have a really low opinion on folks in the North.

Guavanaut posted:

The Virgin Sun Tzu and the Chad von Clausewitz.

I'd like it if people would actually quote recent books on politics and strategy, instead its all about The Prince for some reason. Personally I think that it's because rich fuckers who want to seem smart always hark back to someone saying, in essence, "Be an arsehole".

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Any political theorist that didn't have to deal with a tank is probably of limited value these days.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i won't speak for voters but i can definitely see shitheads in the PLP pulling some TERF poo poo about it when provoked which is bad regardless

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pochoclo posted:

This is the timeline where Bill and Ted fail their history class

I watched Excellent Adventure (or "Bill and Ted's Crazy Journey Through Time", as the ever literal German film titlers call it) again the other day. Still holds up, apart from that one moment when they hug, but you know 2019 Bill and Ted would be too wholesome for that.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Losing the Tory whip immediately before a snap election isn't necessarily political oblivion for these folk, they're bound to get plenty of press, could easily win as an independent in a remain leaning constituency and then they can join the lib dems as anti brexit heroes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Any political theorist that didn't have to deal with a tank is probably of limited value these days.
Žižek still good then?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168630302916435972
Is ten enough?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Welcome, Dan's Subconscious

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ageless and immortal? It loving sure feels like it at this stage.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

No, they’re shouting Boo-ris, Boo-ris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

jabby posted:

Is ten enough?

If they all go through with it, I think so.

But :lol: at that happening.