Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

the master classes are kind of garbage overall unless you're a punchman or can fly
Oh come on. Is there no middle ground between "i have to get everyone to a master class" and "they all suck actually"

They're (almost) all tradeoffs compared to advance classes, which the game does fail to make obvious. Sometimes the tradeoffs will be worth it depending on what you're looking for in a unit though! Like, say, if you want more movement range! Extremely hot take here: movement is good. Some players may want movement over other stats or utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

HenryEx posted:

My Petra is 29 now and made bank as an assassin-dancer, but i'm not sure what class i should be going for at 30. There doesn't really seem to be a proper upgrade. Mortal Savant, maybe???

I just trained my Petra up in both assassin-ing and wyvern lord-ing and had her swap between them depending on what the situation called for.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Amppelix posted:

Oh come on. Is there no middle ground between "i have to get everyone to a master class" and "they all suck actually"

They're (almost) all tradeoffs compared to advance classes, which the game does fail to make obvious. Sometimes the tradeoffs will be worth it depending on what you're looking for in a unit though! Like, say, if you want more movement range! Extremely hot take here: movement is good. Some players may want movement over other stats or utility.

Its me, I like movement.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Should I keep Byleth as an Enlightened One or should I make him a Mortal Savant? It kinda sucks though because his Reason skill level is low...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well, Petra is at 21/20 on Str./Mag., sooooo Mortal Savant doesn't look so bad from where i'm standing

edit: google tells me Petra is supposed to have ~10 Mag. at level 30

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah all the magic Master Classes are upgrades because 4 move is awful. Dark/Holy Knight, Gremory and Mortal Savant are all a step up

HenryEx posted:

Well, Petra is at 21/20 on Str./Mag., sooooo Mortal Savant doesn't look so bad from where i'm standing

Just remember Petra has one of the worst spell lists in the game.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Girl Byleth worked very well as an assassin on my Blue Lions run

It also helps that if she gets screwed on defenses she can safely stand around and not get targeted while moving someone who can rank into the fray

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My current Byleth is a monster. Basically 30 in all stats (including defense of all things) at level 35 while just being a punch woman.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tae posted:

My current Byleth is a monster. Basically 30 in all stats (including defense of all things) at level 35 while just being a punch woman.

same

my students may hate stats but byleth sure doesn't, I had him rolling with a rusty sword for a while just so he could build skillxp without instantly murdering everything

Amppelix posted:

tbf I might be biased because, as i've said, my entire team(except petra/edel) hates speed a whole bunch and most of the master classes come with some kind of speed growth penalty and they don't need more help on not getting speed every level thanks

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 2, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

And by the way, continuing on the subject of master classes: you have to remember this game completely drops the concept of a linear progression of classes. You can go back to your previous class any time you want! And you should!

For example, in battles where it looks like movement range won't be as big an issue for whatever reason, I always reclassed Linhardt to a Bishop for the 2x casts and increased heals of Physic, and double Warp if I happen to want it. Then, if the next battle has a large area to cover, I just classed him back into Holy Knight! Wow! It's like the all the upside with none of the tradeoff!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

And by the way, continuing on the subject of master classes: you have to remember this game completely drops the concept of a linear progression of classes. You can go back to your previous class any time you want! And you should!

For example, in battles where it looks like movement range won't be as big an issue for whatever reason, I always reclassed Linhardt to a Bishop for the 2x casts and increased heals of Physic, and double Warp if I happen to want it. Then, if the next battle has a large area to cover, I just classed him back into Holy Knight! Wow! It's like the all the upside with none of the tradeoff!

but what if i've already mastered the previous class' skill, are you telling me to waste all those precious class skill points for getting a skill i will probably never use

for shame

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The master class masteries are all trash, aren't they.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I might put some of them on the skill bar if I happened to get them (Like Lysithea gets hers for free thanks to 2x exp), but certainly not worth putting effort into getting. Mortal Savant's Warding Blow is pretty comically bad though, I'd agree there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HenryEx posted:

The master class masteries are all trash, aren't they.

all of them are some variation on "if you're low on hp something happens, probably won't keep you from dying though"

War Master is the one standout which lets you guaranteed double anything(on the player phase) if you're below half health but fists let you do that already sooo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It does feel like the master class distribution is kind of weird and lacks punch, I fully believe that Swordmaster was initially the master level sword class and they bumped it down/nerfed Astra at some point to give people an actual reason to ever put someone in Mortal Savant

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't think that happened at all? Swordmaster certainly doesn't feel very nerfed, it's a completely fine class as is. I think the only problem is that they chose to call the master classes, well, master classes and make a big deal out of them by locking them behind a professor level. This all implies to any players that surely great power hides within, when really they don't tend to have a power level increase from advanced, only having different niches.

Though this is without getting into Falcon Knight and Wyvern Lord, the two weirdos. I have no idea what's going on with those.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Swordmaster only has 5 move, so that’s an auto no-go for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

I don't think that happened at all? Swordmaster certainly doesn't feel very nerfed, it's a completely fine class as is. I think the only problem is that they chose to call the master classes, well, master classes and make a big deal out of them by locking them behind a professor level. This all implies to any players that surely great power hides within, when really they don't tend to have a power level increase from advanced, only having different niches.

Though this is without getting into Falcon Knight and Wyvern Lord, the two weirdos. I have no idea what's going on with those.

War Master is also a straight upgrade.

Also in general everything at Master level gets a +1 move bump which is pretty huge.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mortal Savant is a class you want to end with, in like the final few chapters.

For most of part 2 where you're still growing, I'd rather have Swordmaster's 20% speed growth over -10% Savant's.

(why is a "Swordmaster" upgrade giving negative speed bonus)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

They absolutely did mess with Swordmaster though, Astra is significantly weaker in this than in any of its past incarnations, where each hit was. 5 damage, not .3.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dimitri’s absolute exasperation at Sylvain’s schtick was gold

Why would you give a knife to a girl tho

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It is, but I doubt that has anything to do with this master class shakeup you're envisioning. The game in general has a design philosophy of lessening or removing the old mainstay offensive skills.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

you're in for a loving treat my friend, buckle up and enjoy the ride

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The same reason Edelgard came up with the name Black Eagle Strike Force; they're just both huge dorks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Amppelix posted:

It is, but I doubt that has anything to do with this master class shakeup you're envisioning. The game in general has a design philosophy of lessening or removing the old mainstay offensive skills.

It then replaced them with some absolute garbage crap too.

The skill, crest and weapon arts stuff is easily the weakest part of 3 Houes.

Cool a skill that lets me have basic competence with a weapon. Really interesting :effort:

We don't even get anything interesting. Where's poo poo like Shadowgift (lets you use magic outside a magic class) or loving anything even remotely fun.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 2, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The game has a million mechanics already, I really don't think it needed more. Fire Emblem gameplay is already interesting just from the battlefield positioning and tactics aspect (complemented by gambits in this game), and the character building is just involved enough.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I 100% understand not letting stuff like shadowgift into the game though, because lysithea on a wyvern would break this game even harder than it already is

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Carlosologist posted:

(their b support i think)
"ahh help I need to hide, girl trouble"

"dude did you give her a loving knife again, jesus christ"

had me rolling

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am kinda sad there's no weapon triangle anymore

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

the weapon triangle is sorta there just... locked behind breakers that give you +30 hit/avo against enemies using the disadvantageous weapon type at B rank

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hot take: if you're not planning on trying to dodge tank, the only prowess skills that are really crucial for allowing your unit to function are axe and bow.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Zore posted:

We don't even get anything interesting. Where's poo poo like Shadowgift (lets you use magic outside a magic class) or loving anything even remotely fun.

Gaaah. Edelgard not being able to use magic on her unique class was... argh... She even is the only black/dark mage of the game!

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
So this is my first Fire Emblem game and I had no idea you had to view support videos between supporting characters or that you could even build links between characters that didn't involve Byleth. Unfortunately I'm now in what I'm pretty sure is the last month of the game.

How viable is it to farm some support levels for just a few characters by doing the battles that don't require points repeatedly and just having two characters constantly fight next to each other?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If the weapon triangle existed, it would just make magic even more powerful and I'd probably slot in another mage over a physical attacker.

Or just give a trainee weapon, cause it's not like decent weapons need high ranks.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Adun posted:

So this is my first Fire Emblem game and I had no idea you had to view support videos between supporting characters or that you could even build links between characters that didn't involve Byleth. Unfortunately I'm now in what I'm pretty sure is the last month of the game.

How viable is it to farm some support levels for just a few characters by doing the battles that don't require points repeatedly and just having two characters constantly fight next to each other?

Did you play 70+ hours without ever looking at the support menu? I mean that's entirely viable if that's the case and you can be bothered with the grind, I farmed Felix and Bernadetta's last two like that and it took about 20 minutes.

although I regret it bc they got married and that's weird

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

Did you play 70+ hours without ever looking at the support menu? I mean that's entirely viable if that's the case and you can be bothered with the grind, I farmed Felix and Bernadetta's last two like that and it took about 20 minutes.

although I regret it bc they got married and that's weird

Yep 50 hours and the only support I ever checked on was Byleth's.

Whoops

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Master Classes have several direct upgrades, so it's weird that there aren't direct upgrades for, say, Paladin or male unmounted mages.

Like, either they're supposed to be sidegrades, or they have stuff like Wyvern Lord and Falcoknight.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

Yep 50 hours and the only support I ever checked on was Byleth's.

Whoops

It takes some serious willpower to ignore that red circled exlamation mark "HEY THERE'S SOMETHING NEW HERE" in your journal for 50 hours.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

HenryEx posted:

It takes some serious willpower to ignore that red circled exlamation mark "HEY THERE'S SOMETHING NEW HERE" in your journal for 50 hours.

I'd guess the more likely scenario is that they never got as far as opening that menu in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm trying to do a teachers/adults-only run, and doing the first few maps with only Byleth is surprisingly difficult.

In retrospect, I should have made Byleth specialize in fists so they could have the healing combat art.

IDK who to marry on this run. I feel like Catherine and Shamir should be together, and it's far funnier to leave Manuela single.