Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Should we brainstorm an ONI version of :xcom: now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I really would not have thought dropping 15 tons of freshly erupted refined gold, starting at 750C, in about the same tonnage of water, would end up like this but ok :shrug:

You'd think the water would boil on contact but no, the entire tile of water has to heat >100C and it just doesn't do that for a long goddamn time

e: time for solid gold floor tiles everywhere I guess

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 1, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

LonsomeSon posted:

Should we brainstorm an ONI version of :xcom: now?

Same basic setup, except 1/3rd of the right side of the smiley is transparent, the head is Mae's and "that's ONI".

Except then Mae's head keeps going right until it hits the right side of the image and then she's trapped in the negative space, suffocating.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 1, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Gold volcanoes are relatively easily managed due to the lower SHC (0.129) when compared to Iron (0.449) or Copper (0.386). They can cool off without stressing a system too much. My Iron volcano, on the other hand, still maintains 200+C temperatures on some of the deposits because I haven't shunted them into a cooling room.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

endlessmonotony posted:

Same basic setup, except 1/3rd of the right side of the smiley is transparent, the head is Mae's and "that's ONI".

Except then Mae's head keeps going right until it hits the right side of the image and then she's trapped in the negative space, suffocating.

Suffocating while yelling that she's gotta go poo poo now and also it's too hot in this wall.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Bwuh? Wha-? Goddamnit game.

Was he digging and got forced up through the ceiling?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sometimes everything works out in the end.

It drained out a couple cycles later sadly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah water neapolitan style.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Travic posted:

Bwuh? Wha-? Goddamnit game.

Was he digging and got forced up through the ceiling?

yeah and I didn't notice it right away and she was stuck there so long she had to sleep stuck in that cavity and then she had to have a wee in her suit, she's not having a real good day there

I *think* what happened was she was building mesh tiles below the stuff queued to be dug out and somehow got popped up through 5 tiles of rock to get stuck in there :allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah and I didn't notice it right away and she was stuck there so long she had to sleep stuck in that cavity and then she had to have a wee in her suit, she's not having a real good day there

I *think* what happened was she was building mesh tiles below the stuff queued to be dug out and somehow got popped up through 5 tiles of rock to get stuck in there :allears:

Instead of standing on the floor they were probably standing on tiles that were marked for dig. Instead of falling to the floor as the tile was destroyed, they were warped through the (single tile) ceiling. It’s a bug that has made it through early access.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I tried it out in sandbox, and it seemed viable (but temperature dissipation was sloooooow). I set up a polluted water cooling loop to run through my survival base, cause I'm having issues with heat from early-game mistakes. I've got some hotspots of 35-40c, and then the rest of the base is 20-25c and slowly rising.

How do I stop this seriously cold spot where the radiant pipes are? I want it to transfer to the rest of the internal building ASAP, and I spammed gold tempshift plates to see if they helped, but they just absorb a tonne of heat and don't really dissipate it. For future experiments, I'm going to keep the thermo sensor in the base to "Above 25c" so I don't get drastic drops to 5c.

Will heat dissipation occur too slowly to benefit? Should I instead focus these cold loops on the hotspots until they are regulated with the rest of the base, and then remove them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dismantle the radiant pipes and run them through normal pipes over a wider area.

Or make a gas loop that overlaps the coolant pipes to equalize the temperature more.

If you can afford gold tempshift plates you could also alternate radiant pipes and normal pipes over a wider area too.

Basically you're concentrating all your cooling in one spot instead of making the loop cover the desired area.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Alright, that makes sense. I noticed the temp equalized (duh) when the output cooled water (7c) matched the ambient temperature. So I could use automation fuckery to ensure the water only enters the loop between 20-25c and that way it'd cool down the area and absorb excess heat as it passed through my entire base, then enter back into the cooling loop if it heat up enough to drop back down to the range I wanted. If the ambient temp is 25c, it ain't gonna get hotter than that, and then will either shed that heat in cooler areas or absorb more heat in hotter areas. Then it'll hit the cooling loop, pass the check for "too warm", re-enter the aquatuner, then go back into the loop between 20-25c.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

when I started, this block had a temperature gradient from about 30 degrees at the top to about 50 at the bottom but now it's all within 1 degree of everything in the area

lead radiant pipes, lead tempshift plates backing them
e: to be more precise, along the run of the pipe it's all within 0.2 degrees

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Running it horizontally makes sense, instead of vertically. Oops. Any tips on how to nail an output temperature with an aquatuner? I know it removes 14c every time, so would I just calculate it so after however many passes, it comes out at my wanted temp, or is there some automation stuff with AND gates I can use?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

There is a bug that can cause duplicants to climb through a solid block. I can't remember how it works, but I suspect that what happened here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Qubee posted:

Running it horizontally makes sense, instead of vertically. Oops. Any tips on how to nail an output temperature with an aquatuner? I know it removes 14c every time, so would I just calculate it so after however many passes, it comes out at my wanted temp, or is there some automation stuff with AND gates I can use?

there is a thing with a temperature sensor connected to an airlock door in the middle of a heat exchanger and when you cross the threshold you set, it opens the door and creates a vacuum gap and stops heat exchange.

the bridges are laid out really lovely because i didn't plan this at all, it just evolved as I got ideas, it should be a lot neater than this. A longer span with more doors would allow more transfer of heat in less time.

nb: it's probably at least as good or better to embed the pipes in metal tiles but I couldn't do that in this case because it has to thread in with the irrigation pipes

e: no reason not to have made that with two doors, so I redid it

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 2, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

gold metal tile :pervert:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'm glad I'm not the only one repurposing natural Abyssalite for perfect insulation in builds. :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Always run your radiator pipes through tiles imo, they have much higher heat capacity than the few grams of oxygen around them and take the longest to cool down, might as well start there and let oxygen then absorb that cold, it'll go much faster. Plus, it looks neater.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Truga posted:

Always run your radiator pipes through tiles imo, they have much higher heat capacity than the few grams of oxygen around them and take the longest to cool down, might as well start there and let oxygen then absorb that cold, it'll go much faster. Plus, it looks neater.

I've been doing this too. Radiant pipes through granite tiles works great. It's easy to cool oxygen output using this method too. Just run radiant gas piping on top of the same tiles.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The differences in tile material between the basic ones (igneous rock, granite, sandstone, and the other one) are negligible, right? Cause I swap between them without really thinking much about it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Igneous is your cheap insulator, granite is your cheap heat exchanger, sandstone and sediment are in-between.

The numbers are in SHC and Thermal Conductivity:
Igneous: 1 and 2
Granite: 0.79 and 3.39
Sandstone: 0.8 and 2.9
Sedimentary: 0.2 and 2.0

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is there a fix or any hints as to a greater cause for the bug where sometimes a block will re spawn on one side of an airlock, making it inaccessible/inoperable until dug?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Igneous is your cheap insulator, granite is your cheap heat exchanger, sandstone and sediment are in-between.

The numbers are in SHC and Thermal Conductivity:
Igneous: 1 and 2
Granite: 0.79 and 3.39
Sandstone: 0.8 and 2.9
Sedimentary: 0.2 and 2.0

If you have access to mafic rock (rust biome, surface) it has a TC of 1 making it a cheap insulator that is good for insulated tiles. Doesn't work with pipes last I checked though, and I'd be weary using it to support large quantities of liquid as it isn't nearly as strong as igneous rock.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Does strength matter? I can only think of one time where a huge tank of water broke something and it was like algea or dirt or some kind of natural material. Anything I've ever built has never broken due to weight, to the point where I'm not sure it's actually calculated.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

bird food bathtub posted:

Does strength matter? I can only think of one time where a huge tank of water broke something and it was like algea or dirt or some kind of natural material. Anything I've ever built has never broken due to weight, to the point where I'm not sure it's actually calculated.

It's calculated for liquids. A column of liquid will exert an extra +10kg (for water, values are roughly 10% of unpressurized tile maximum) in the lowest tile of liquid for every tile occupied above it. You can also overpressure a container with tricks like 5kg of oil over a vent.

https://forums.kleientertainment.co...&comment=936460

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 2, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

High fluid pressure can damage walls, and actually break them, I've had that happen doing things like melting ice via constructing tempshift plates of it submerged in water.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've mostly seen it come into play in the oil biome where there's some highly pressurised oil pockets. Dig too close to them and they'll burst out through the natural rock walls.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I kinda wish gas could travel through water. Like, in bubbles. You could use that I'd bet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

My convenient heat source for my pepper farms ran out for now so I'm gonna use the ... less convenient heat source :ohdear:

e: oh ... oh dear

Interesting trivia: lead tempshift plates have sort of a built in failsafe in that they melt at a ~relatively~ low temperature and stop spreading heat around
steel tempshift plates though, they let you gently caress up REAL good

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 3, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Motherfucker posted:

I kinda wish gas could travel through water. Like, in bubbles. You could use that I'd bet
Liquid locks being perfect is....a kindness, for sure, but it'd certainly make sense for some amount of air bubbles to pass through them as a dupe splashes on through.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The next easy airlock would be that ridiculous two tube stations with the shortest possible tunnel between.

Which is the most appropriate airlock for ONI.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

High fluid pressure can damage walls, and actually break them, I've had that happen doing things like melting ice via constructing tempshift plates of it submerged in water.

in fact I just had this happen right in front of my eyes, breaking through abyssalite, I didn't expect that at all:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

My first set of really big clean/pisswater tanks, way way back in Early Acess on like my third embark were one tile wide and broke open, flooding my base first in clean then in polluted water while I was working damage control by just digging another clean water tank where all the water went.

Ever since I have always used double-walled tanks if I am storing more than 18-20 tiles of a fluid and I have never had the problem again!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had double walled tanks break and don't trust them lol. *every* tank I have has triple walls unless it's absolutely tiny

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

endlessmonotony posted:

The next easy airlock would be that ridiculous two tube stations with the shortest possible tunnel between.

Which is the most appropriate airlock for ONI.

Honestly, they should just make powered airlock doors actually block airflow and let air move through liquid as air bubbles. But I'm biased and think liquid locks look stupid.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There is a mod that turns airlock doors into airlocks

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Yeah I use it religiously. I just think the base game should bake that mod in and allow air/gas mixing. I'm sure there's a technical limitation in letting gas and liquid share a tile, but letting it pass through would be interesting. And we know it already can, because gasses will rise through liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

User0015 posted:

Honestly, they should just make powered airlock doors actually block airflow and let air move through liquid as air bubbles. But I'm biased and think liquid locks look stupid.

Liquid locks do look stupid, but making the powered doors block airflow would make the game too easy. Proper gas management is an integral part of the game and requires planning beyond simply putting down a basic door.

I would, however, be totally down for a space-tier "real-life" airlock that:

a) requires steel
b) has a powerful built-in l gas pump that consumes LOTS of power while active (perhaps equal to a metal refinery)
c) requires gas output
d) takes up more space (basically, two doors, with a gap in between for the pump)
e) takes more time for dupes to pass through

Basically, it would have some benefits (i.e. actually blocking gasses) but also trade-offs (high power usage, slowing dupes down considerably as the air in the chamber is pumped out until there is full vacuum). You could build it to seal off important rooms (e.g. natural gas chamber), but the tradeoffs would make it uneconomical to build it everywhere and trivialize gas management.