Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

LifeSunDeath posted:

what kind of pen is it? looks cool.

Lamy 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

oh snap. Had mixed results with lamy. I got the Dialog 1 and some Safari's years ago, the dialog was nice looking but i dropped it once and it was never the same. The safari's come with terrible roll balls...definitely form over function pens for me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think I posted a different pair of these months ago in the thread, but I'm obsessed with this brand of sunglasses (Goodr)

They're great for running/other outdoor activities and c'mon they're making them with 'granny floral' print frames!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bought a fancy rear end dinner. Didn't take too many pics because I'm not a 22 year old food blogger, but I did get two on the sly:

A bunch of delicious chocolate stuff:

The view from our table:

Everest in Chicago, if anyone is wondering. Might not have been the absolute best meal I've ever had in my life, but it was damned close.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bought a fancy rear end dinner. Didn't take too many pics because I'm not a 22 year old food blogger, but I did get two on the sly:
I think the kids these days may be posting their pictures on things like "instagram" or "facebook" rather than "food blogs."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I think the kids these days may be posting their pictures on things like "instagram" or "facebook" rather than "food blogs."

Kids these days don’t have Facebook accounts. That’s for olds.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think I posted a different pair of these months ago in the thread, but I'm obsessed with this brand of sunglasses (Goodr)

They're great for running/other outdoor activities and c'mon they're making them with 'granny floral' print frames!

Check out Blenders as well, I love mine and don't worry if I'm out on a boat and lose them ad they aren't super expensive.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

If you get Blenders don't go with any of the mirrored finishes, mine just rubbed right off and they are now unusable. My girlfriend likes hers a lot though, and they supposedly have a good warranty that I haven't looked into yet.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

A friend of mine is an owner of Goodr, good people and good boat shades.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

sleppy posted:

If you get Blenders don't go with any of the mirrored finishes, mine just rubbed right off and they are now unusable. My girlfriend likes hers a lot though, and they supposedly have a good warranty that I haven't looked into yet.

Weird, never had that happened with any of mine.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Choom Gangster posted:

A friend of mine is an owner of Goodr, good people and good boat shades.

Tell him to keep up the good work on affordable sunglasses!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Spy_Guy posted:

Starting college on monday and I wanted a nice pen for taking notes.

That’s a really nice pen, but as someone who hand wrote all of their lecture notes through undergrad and law school, using it to take notes is likely a foolish endeavor. I’d recommend just a straight cheap bic pen to avoid smearing and bleed-through tbh. Use that nice fountain pen (?) for fun stuff where you will see a real benefit from its distinctive lines.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

As a guy who used fountain pens for uni, it's fine. You'll be fine.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Quote is not edit

mystes
May 31, 2006

1redflag posted:

That’s a really nice pen, but as someone who hand wrote all of their lecture notes through undergrad and law school, using it to take notes is likely a foolish endeavor. I’d recommend just a straight cheap bic pen to avoid smearing and bleed-through tbh. Use that nice fountain pen (?) for fun stuff where you will see a real benefit from its distinctive lines.
What do you mean by "distinctive lines"?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Android Apocalypse posted:

Honey whiskey in an old-fashioned you say?

Gotta try that. Sounds delightful.

Knob creek maple is also a fantastic move. Go heavy on the bitters and light on the fruit, no sugar or simple or whatever you put in your old fashioned.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

mystes posted:

What do you mean by "distinctive lines"?

Some older fountain pens have flex in the nib. On downward strokes, or when pressure is applied, the tines of the nib fan out and give a thicker line. Modern fountain pens don't exhibit this behaviour.

Most modern pen nibs come in sizes varying from very fine to bold which will just put down a consistent line of a uniform thickness. You can also get stub nibs which are broader, and will write thinly on horizontal strokes, but thickly on downward.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I am aware of the fact that virtually no modern fountain pens come with flex or stub nibs.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Megabound posted:

As a guy who used fountain pens for uni, it's fine. You'll be fine.

Idk, literally every single one of my friends at uni who used fountain pens to take notes had ink stains all over their notes and hands from leaks/spills

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

OniPanda posted:

Idk, literally every single one of my friends at uni who used fountain pens to take notes had ink stains all over their notes and hands from leaks/spills

Your friends are bad at using pens that humans have used for 200 years without issue.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Look out boys, time to get new friends. These ones only telegraph at 5 WPM. How embarrassing!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

1redflag posted:

I'll second that. I use fountain pens almost exclusively as a high school teacher, but I would never use it as my main pen if I had to go back to school.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The me just used a pencil.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Got Witcher 3 with expansions for $15 in the Steam sale. I'm just about done with Pillars of Eternity so I need more morally ambiguous rpg action.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: wrong thread.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Sep 2, 2019

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Decided I was going to Dunkin Donuts too much so I got that $9 Ozark Trail mug that's supposed to be a good alternative to the Yeti everyone loves

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought Saga of the Swamp Thing vol. 3 because I'm a nerd but mostly because I'd already bought vol. 4 while inebriated.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Decided I was going to Dunkin Donuts too much

Just steal mobile orders. DD and Starbucks just set out food and drink and no one verifies who is taking what.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

colas posted:

Just steal mobile orders. DD and Starbucks just set out food and drink and no one verifies who is taking what.

Lifehack: want something but don’t want to pay for it? Just steal that poo poo.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

1redflag posted:

Lifehack: want something but don’t want to pay for it? Just steal that poo poo.

I consider it pirating coffee

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would absolutely download some bean juice.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Husband went out to do errands today while I'm sick, and brought home a ton of goodies ranging from donuts to this

$30 MSRP, all the ones I glanced at on Amazon were ~$32, and he snagged it for $20. Our current 4 qt is six years old, and the finish is coming off the handles. I'm very pleased, this will be great for pasta nights and chicken soup this winter :yum:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

colas posted:

I consider it pirating coffee

Don't spirit away that frappe!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

I bought some 8x10s.

Also a pile of normal rear end 4x7 pics of my dog just so the lady didn't think I was a freak.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

It was $25 so i'll be happy simply if it doesn't suck. My bike frame is two tone black and white so it will match nicely.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

So we went to the John Williams concert this past weekend:

All I had was the cheap toy lightsaber, and I needed a good one, so...

:shepspends:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

This is gonna be a bitch to fish back out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rolo posted:

This is gonna be a bitch to fish back out.

Nah, the base is flared, he'll be fine.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Not a purchase per se, but I did have to pay for the title transfer, new tag, and different county tax. This was my father's and he gave it to me since he got a new car.

2004 Toyota Corolla CE (not mine but this color).

Only 103,210 miles. My first automatic in over 20 years. My left foot must be retrained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got a mechanical "gaming" keyboard. The HyperX Alloy Elite, probably against my better judgement.

It's nice to type on, has media control that aren't on a function key, and snazzy but kind of unnecessary lights.