Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ya'll have any suggestions for Victoria 2 mods that don't cause performance issues? Its so odd that HFM/HPM case slowdowns for me. I have an extremely capable PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
It's Victoria 2 that is not running well, not your PC.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Well I don't know if any of the other 3 people that play Imperator are around, but if they are maybe you could help! I'm trying to understand why my naval battles keep ending with me "winning" but losing 20-40% of my ships while my enemy loses like 2 ships total?

Sure the enemy has no morale for a bit, but in reality im the one losing out.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

OpenV2 will be the savior the thread needs and the V3 that paradox will never make

I keep thinking about what kind of effort that would take and the answer is always "a lot". Even if you make it turn-based rather than RTS-style.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love a modern turn based take on Victoria, but I guess what I want is an Imperialism 3.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Horse Inspector posted:

Well I don't know if any of the other 3 people that play Imperator are around, but if they are maybe you could help! I'm trying to understand why my naval battles keep ending with me "winning" but losing 20-40% of my ships while my enemy loses like 2 ships total?

Sure the enemy has no morale for a bit, but in reality im the one losing out.

I haven't done much naval combat but this is probably related to the makeup of your navy, some types of ships take less morale damage but that means that they get the poo poo beaten out of them, allowing you to win fights while losing more of your ships.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

OpenV2 will be the savior the thread needs and the V3 that paradox will never make

I will only like it if it is somehow combined with openTTD.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't done much naval combat but this is probably related to the makeup of your navy, some types of ships take less morale damage but that means that they get the poo poo beaten out of them, allowing you to win fights while losing more of your ships.

So having better morale defense on your ships is worse? That seems very strange.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeron posted:

This province has a new tractor! This province is using dynamite! Elections! Teach which curriculum! Blood for oil!

Yeah the event spam gets pretty ridiculous, but the US definitely has the biggest problems with it. One of the games most annoying flaws to be honest.

I feel like this is one of the things that makes Vicky 2 fans want a sequel so much, because Paradox has generally gotten a lot better about finding ways to handle this stuff without massive event spam.

FWIW the "this province got a new tractor!" event spam goes away with the christmas patch released a while back (they just modified it so that when those inventions are unlocked it applies the bonus universally). A lot of the popular mods are not updated to work with it, though, so they end up reintroducing said spam by overwriting the changes made in their own event files.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AnEdgelord posted:

So having better morale defense on your ships is worse? That seems very strange.

The ships that hit the hardest in terms of raw damage take the most morale damage, so there's something of a tradeoff between "kicks rear end" and "stays in the fight".

I might have this totally backwards, I've only had one game since the new naval system where I built any meaningful amount of ships and that was during the period when pirates were bugged so I had this gigantic navy of pirate ships and didn't actually have to build anything

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

RabidWeasel posted:

The ships that hit the hardest in terms of raw damage take the most morale damage, so there's something of a tradeoff between "kicks rear end" and "stays in the fight".

I might have this totally backwards, I've only had one game since the new naval system where I built any meaningful amount of ships and that was during the period when pirates were bugged so I had this gigantic navy of pirate ships and didn't actually have to build anything

If that's the case I can see where they were coming from but it works out badly. I've even had it where I tried chasing down navies I've beaten thinking "well at least I can now inflict big damage while they are so low", except the same thing happens. I win the fight easily but lose more ships than my enemy, in theory if I kept it up I'd win every battle but end up being the one who is stack wiped.

Maybe this is updated in 1.2 but for now I guess the answer is to forget the expensive ships and have masses of triemes? I'll try it out.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
How about Sengoku 2 or March of the Eagles 2

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love a modern turn based take on Victoria, but I guess what I want is an Imperialism 3.

A finger curls on the monkey's paw and somewhere in the world, an AGEOD dev starts writing the first lines of code for Pride of Nations 2.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

A finger curls on the monkey's paw and somewhere in the world, an AGEOD dev starts writing the first lines of code for Pride of Nations 2.

unironic purchase

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
PoN did markets and economy well. It did everything else astoundingly badly.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

have the updates to europa universalis rome 2 made it any good

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
It's making progress but not yet imo

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Pride of Nations in the new engine would actually be cool and good.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Paradox needs to hire this guy or buy/copy/steal whatever script he wrote to make flags

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168501336280903681
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168667431239344128
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168169147840249857
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1166392868501643264
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168607034624921600

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
"27 people are talking about this"

"20 people are talking about this"

"23 people are talking about this"

"2,101 people are talking about this"

"32 people are talking about this"

I wonder how automated this script is.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

catlord posted:

"27 people are talking about this"

"20 people are talking about this"

"23 people are talking about this"

"2,101 people are talking about this"

"32 people are talking about this"

I wonder how automated this script is.

it posts a new one every 30 minutes, bound to be some hilarious/touchy ones
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1167863409418727424
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168682561985552384

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

420 Gank Mid posted:

Paradox needs to hire this guy or buy/copy/steal whatever script he wrote to make flags

That account is basically designed to inflame national and cultural tensions, which is what every online discussion about paradox games ends up being without moderation. So yeah basically I agree

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

hahahaha this flag is amazing! :D Surely there aren't any that are better than this? (Maybe something related to the Crimean flag?)

EDIT: Actually, there's a "Virgin Chad" one - the name alone makes it top three, at least

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 3, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Lmao

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This is now the politically loaded flags thread. Welcome, friends. :)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

DrSunshine posted:

This is now the politically loaded flags thread. Welcome, friends. :)

Great to be here

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1168682561985552384

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

pretty cool

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Don’t think Paradox would touch that with a 10ft Russian Ukrainian to be honest.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This is a question for the Paradox Devs in this thread:

Could you tell us something about the game design documents you make for your games? How is the process done? How detailed do you get in the planning stages? I know that you're probably not allowed to post them online for others to see, but could you give us any summaries about them in general?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

This is a question for the Paradox Devs in this thread:

Could you tell us something about the game design documents you make for your games? How is the process done? How detailed do you get in the planning stages? I know that you're probably not allowed to post them online for others to see, but could you give us any summaries about them in general?

The GDD itself (for HoI at least) is usually fairly high level, and each individual feature has its own separate design document. These go pretty in-depth and often include UI sketches. These are circulated for comments from the devs (like "Last time I looked at the code for this system I started weeping blood" or "these two details seem to contradict each other" or "How will this interact with this specific set of dlc-locked game mechanics?"). The feedback from these comments is then implemented. The GDD is supposed to be continuously updated throughout development when we change stuff around or come across a detail we didn't think about. We are extremely good at this and we have never been told off by QA for not keeping the document up to date, nor has there ever been any confusion in the dev team steming from outdated information in the GDD.

From what I understand other teams have different approaches.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
EU4 works by that Jake proclaims that a feature will be good, then I write down how that feature is good for the lesser mortals.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I see, this is god-incarnate and his prophet approach. :hmmyes:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

The GDD itself (for HoI at least) is usually fairly high level, and each individual feature has its own separate design document. These go pretty in-depth and often include UI sketches. These are circulated for comments from the devs (like "Last time I looked at the code for this system I started weeping blood" or "these two details seem to contradict each other" or "How will this interact with this specific set of dlc-locked game mechanics?"). The feedback from these comments is then implemented. The GDD is supposed to be continuously updated throughout development when we change stuff around or come across a detail we didn't think about. We are extremely good at this and we have never been told off by QA for not keeping the document up to date, nor has there ever been any confusion in the dev team steming from outdated information in the GDD.

From what I understand other teams have different approaches.

Nice! Thanks for this explanation. It's fascinating to get a little glimpse into the world of professional game design!

In every PDS game it seems like there's a kind of "fundamental unit" that the player is concerned about - in CK2, it's the player's head of the dynasty/the player character, in EU4, it's the nation in general, in Victoria 2 it's the pops - and so on. So when you get the team together to make a new game, do you start off designing the game around that fundamental mechanic or unit, or is it more of an evolutionary process? How do you start? What kind of brainstorming do you guys do?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
"It seems in this game where you play a country, the entire game is designed around a fundamental unit (the country)" :thunk:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Making things sound fancier than it is, though I guess us being used to it, I don't see it like that. Terms I hear a lot more when we talk is "loops" to feed the addiction that is our games so you keep doing the "Just one more year".

I'm not good at articulating these things but something generic like:
Get resources -> perform action using those resources -> reward from action -> get more resources -> rinse repeat

So in EU4 you could construct a chain of actions where each leads into the next one:
You get money, you use that money to build a manpower building, you get manpower, now you can fight that war and spend the manpower resource... etc. etc...
Each action builds into the next one sort of?

A lot is also like learning lessons from past. I've learned for instance timers, like cooldowns etc breaks these kind of loops in our games in the game since you as player is no longer in control of it. Hence why I removed interactions in estates for something entirely different.
e: Though should also point out sometimes only way to solve a problem is a boring timer

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 4, 2019

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Groogy posted:

Get resources -> perform action using those resources

victoria 3 confirmed ???? :chanpop:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

Get resources -> perform action using those resources -> reward from action -> get more resources -> rinse repeat

So in EU4 you could construct a chain of actions where each leads into the next one:
You get money, you use that money to build a manpower building, you get manpower, now you can fight that war and spend the manpower resource... etc. etc...
Each action builds into the next one sort of?

One problem is that some of those actions (buildings) aren't really worth spending resources on. The game could probably do with more levels of buildings or a re balance of their costs and effects.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

One area I think PDX could make some easy gains for the reward loop is visual representation of progress. I love seeing the little soldier models get more modern over time, especially for the cool / fanciful ones, and would love to see something similar for cities and ports etc. Related: the CoT upgrade art is great but I wish it was bigger. KOEI’s historical games use background art quite well.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tahirovic posted:

One problem is that some of those actions (buildings) aren't really worth spending resources on. The game could probably do with more levels of buildings or a re balance of their costs and effects.

Other than sailors and state maintenance, what buildings do you feel aren't worth spending money on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

YF-23 posted:

Other than sailors and state maintenance, what buildings do you feel aren't worth spending money on?

Is the breakeven point for some of those income boosting buildings not measured in centuries or something?

I’m at work so I can’t check.