Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

moths posted:

Have we seen any significance attached to the different sects of the Sisters of Silence? The only fluff I've really seen on them is from the 40k pamphlet.

Rules wise? None at all.

I’m not entirely sure if there was any significant fluff for them in Inferno, but nothing springs to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sisters get to pick one of four army-wide special rules which may help you define your army: Infiltrate, Crusader, Stealth, or +1 to combat resolution. But there's nothing specified by the fluff or rules. They're sadly underdeveloped and can't really function as their own independent army. They can dumpster elite infantry and they're all fearless tarpits, but they REALLY struggle at anti-tank. A great allied force though.

There's supposedly jetbikes in the works, but who knows when/if those will ever appear.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
They’re also about the only thing that can mess up stupid broken TS shenanigans.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I assume they will be really useful against some of the nastier types of demons that can get thrown around now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
All the energy was spent developing cutsodes

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
The Sisters command squad that can all take psykout crossbows also completely wreck Magnus' poo poo

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Launch
New
Custodes
At
All
Costs

Even if the ones we have don't have full model support yet

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
30k is INSANELY good.

NOVA owns, 30k owns, and it's only day one.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

30k is INSANELY good.

NOVA owns, 30k owns, and it's only day one.

I hope you're all taking lots of pictures for a wrap up post :colbert:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Powerful Nova pictures

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Looks like the crystal caves of mi'yag to me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TTerrible posted:

Looks like the crystal caves of mi'yag to me.

We need to run that as a narrative event at LVO or PNW Con.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Safety Factor posted:

30k is INSANELY good.

Agreed. Photo dump from last night's game.
3000 points of AL + demon friends against TKWG's Salamanders.
The loyalists defeated themselves by failing all 4 reserve rolls on turn two so I was able to easily divide and conquer.
Also getting Miasma of Rot and rad grenades on Vulkan was pretty big.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I don’t look at game photos without LensFX

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord_Hambrose posted:

We need to run that as a narrative event at LVO or PNW Con.

I would love to host a narrative event

Crystal necklaces are mandatory

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Daemon Prince/Lord/Big Boy that I'm fairly happy with at this point:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Nova image galaries

https://imgur.com/a/MChoCkg

Had some of the best games of my 30k career this weekend with our bad dead game it was an absolute blast.

Safety Factor and hambrose made a jug of phosphex and luckily it seemed to have not killed anyone.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 2, 2019

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

God, NOVA looks fun

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I’m gonna absolutely dominate Hixson and Stanyer89 tomorrow.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

InsidiousMuppet posted:

God, NOVA looks fun
NOVA is a loving blast. Though I will admit that the ZM event this year was poorly organized. If you've got any interest in 30k and can make the event, I'd highly recommend it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Glad to hear the reports of Phosphex deployment.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Safety Factor posted:

NOVA is a loving blast. Though I will admit that the ZM event this year was poorly organized. If you've got any interest in 30k and can make the event, I'd highly recommend it.

I'm in MD so I should just try next year.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got Robin Cruddace to try phosphex in the form of a sumpkroc. He did not like it.

Then I lost the last quarter-jug to a harlot.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 2, 2019

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
This seems applicable here as well.

Stephenls posted:

And after a ton of testing: Easy "truescale" (that is, at the same scale as the new chaos marines, which is to say mean height of 31.5mm at the eye, accounting for variability in leg poses) Mark III Space Marines.

You will need:

-A Mark III Space Marine
-A sheet of 0.5mm plasticard
-Some sort of putty like green stuff or something.

Step 1: cut out three 2mm x 4mm rectangles of the plasticard and glue them together, then glue them into the rectangular cavity in the Space Marine's waist ball socket. This will extend the marine's height by approximately 1mm.

Step 2: Cut out two smaller rectangles (I think I used roughly 2mm x 1.5mm) of the plasticard and glue them together, then glue them into the rectangular cavity of the Space Marine's neck ball socket. This will extend the marine's height by approximately another 0.5mm and make his neck not look so weirdly short as the necks do on that armor mark.

Step 3: Use some green stuff or other gap-filling putty to fill in the gap around the waist and neck this leaves when you glue the legs and head on. You can disguise it around the back with ammo pouches, and around the front it won't be so visible because of the metal loincloth thing.

That's it.

Unfortunately bringing up Mark IV and VIII marines are going to be more involved, since they're on average 1mm shorter than the Mark IIIs and don't have the loincloth. (Loin... plate?)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I remember that truescale was a pretty big movement in the hobby a number of years ago. The new MK3 kits are way easier to bulk up compared to what people were doing with the older generation of SM/CSM kits. The bulky armor is really forgiving.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

I remember that truescale was a pretty big movement in the hobby a number of years ago. The new MK3 kits are way easier to bulk up compared to what people were doing with the older generation of SM/CSM kits. The bulky armor is really forgiving.

The recesses I'm using for the plasticard spacers almost make me think the kit was designed for what I'm doing here.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m afraid I can’t unsee their weirdly low knees now you’ve raised the torso.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
The proportions of those don't look right. There's a reason the people truscaling do it mostly with shin inserts rather than extending the waist.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's like the weird dude who you're taller than but when you sit down to dinner he's really big and you're like what the hell then you stand up to leave dinner and he's got small legs and you start yelling hey you've got wheels for legs wheels for legs wheels for legs and he cries

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Endman posted:

I’m afraid I can’t unsee their weirdly low knees now you’ve raised the torso.

Booley posted:

The proportions of those don't look right. There's a reason the people truscaling do it mostly with shin inserts rather than extending the waist.

JBP posted:

It's like the weird dude who you're taller than but when you sit down to dinner he's really big and you're like what the hell then you stand up to leave dinner and he's got small legs and you start yelling hey you've got wheels for legs wheels for legs wheels for legs and he cries

Y'all aren't wrong, and I'll probably end up using thigh and shin spacers when I try to figure out how to add 2.5mm height to the Mark IVs, bur re-sculpting the back-of-the-leg detail on the Mark IIIs would be such a pain in the rear end.

EDIT:

On the other hand, if you compare it to the current CSM range, like this:

...the knees seem to be at roughly the same height. That may just be how GW thinks Astartes knees work.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 3, 2019

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Stephenls posted:

This seems applicable here as well.

What legion will it be and why will it be taller than the other legions.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

tallkidwithglasses posted:

What legion will it be and why will it be taller than the other legions.

Raven Guard.

Which makes this lore-compliant, as Corax did indeed develop bigger marines, a few of whom didn’t even mutate into horrible crow-monsters.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Stephenls posted:

Raven Guard.

Which makes this lore-compliant, as Corax did indeed develop bigger marines, a few of whom didn’t even mutate into horrible crow-monsters.

Cool have fun with your alpha legion

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought the alpha legion just poisoned a lot of it and stole the remaining good poo poo.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

First pre-production Mark VI armor, then pre-production Primaris Marines. Stealing from birds: the only reason the Alpha Legion has any cool gear.

JBP posted:

I thought the alpha legion just poisoned a lot of it and stole the remaining good poo poo.

(Yeah this is the less funny answer. One of the Corax books has him fighting alongside his Raptors, some of whom look fine and some of whom are perfectly sane but so hosed up physically that they go into battle with just a bolter and a robe. Birbmonster units would be a good candidate for RG Heresy stuff if FW ever revisits the Legions who already have coverage, though given current ForgeWorld trends this would probably be handled by making them a new kind of Terminator.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 4, 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You could totally run them as black shields with the rejected gene mod fluff

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

You could totally run them as black shields with the rejected gene mod fluff

Naw, man, the Raptors were fully integrated into the post-Istvaan Raven Guard Legion structure and fought alongside the regular marines all the time. There's bits in Corax: Nevermore where he's leading an attack by RG legionnaries where the book makes it clear that, like, a third of the attacking force are only wearing partial armor because their mutations are severe enough that they don't fit in Astartes battleplate, and there's casual mention of a few dudes in bolters and robes because they can't wear armor at all -- but because the mutations are primarily physical, they've all got the same Deliverance cultural assumptions and flash-indoctrination training no matter what they look like, so this army that's one third horrible bird mutants are just behaving like regular-rear end Space Marines, barking orders back and forth on the vox and feeling brotherly dedication to each other and vaguely worrying about what will happen to them or their comrades they care so much about if the mutations keep getting worse but being real stoic about it. (Corax murders them all. That's what happens. Corax murders all the mutant Raven Guard and then flees into the Eye of Terror in shame. Thus the remnants of the Legion are spared the fate of both the Space Wolves, who have rampant mutation and don't care, and the Dark Angels, who are obsessed with keeping their dumb shameful secrets, and they are instead free to be a boring Codex-compliant chapter with no particular fanbase.)

You could build a lore-accurate RG legion army by, I dunno, kitbashing some loving Wulfen with crow heads and regular bolters or something and sticking a few here and there throughout your tac squads and then just not treating the weird birdmonsters as anything but normal marines. Admittedly, to do this you'd have to engage with the Wulfen models, so I wouldn't.

I think this did result in them killing a bunch of (ironically) Space Wolves one time, when the Space Wolves saw the birdmonsters and said "You're harboring mutants!" and the RG went "Oh, Christ, can't let that get out."

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 4, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha the space wolves are classic.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Stephenls posted:

First pre-production Mark VI armor, then pre-production Primaris Marines. Stealing from birds: the only reason the Alpha Legion has any cool gear.

Fight me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If you do a Blackshields army with the Chymeriae trait (which forbids taking an allied detachment) can you still take them as an allied detachment (to Mechanicus or Solars Aux or whatever, subject to the "Fellow Warriors only" restriction as per usual for Blackshields)?