Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So Israel and Hezbollah were exchanging shots at the Lebanese border?

quote:

NEWS/ISRAEL
Israel, Hezbollah exchange fire at Lebanon border

Israel and Hezbollah have exchanged fire along the Lebanese border after a week of rising tensions.

Israel's military said it fired into southern Lebanon on Sunday after a number of anti-tank missiles fired by Hezbollah targeted its army base and vehicles near the border. Hezbollah was responding to an earlier drone attack by Israel.

The missiles hit several targets in Israel's border town of Avivim on Sunday, the Israeli army said, adding it responded by shelling 100 targets inside Lebanon.

According to Hezbollah, the missiles launched from Lebanon destroyed a tank, killing and wounding those inside it.

Israel, however, said the attack did not lead to any casualties on its side.

In its statement, the Israeli army said "a number of anti-tank missiles were fired from Lebanon towards an Israel Defense Forces base and military vehicles".

READ MORE
Hezbollah says commanders ready to respond to 'Israeli attack'
"A number of hits have been confirmed," the Israeli army added.

The Israeli shelling following the missile strike has since died down with the Israeli military saying the latest round of fighting with Hezbollah appears to be over.

Jonathan Conricus, a military spokesperson, told reporters later on Sunday that Hezbollah missiles caused damage on the base and struck a military ambulance.

Conricus said the "tactical events" appear to have ended, adding that deeper "strategic threats" posed by Hezbollah remain.

The Lebanese army said Israel fired at least 40 shells towards the border towns of Yaroun and Maroun al-Ras after the missile attack.

Israeli media also reported at least one air raid took place.

More:https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/israeli-army-fires-lebanon-hezbollah-missile-attack-190901134806880.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Some dude on reddit made a surprisingly credible and extremely long effort post like a week ago about how a conflict is about to pop off between israel and lebanon

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Some dude on reddit made a surprisingly credible and extremely long effort post like a week ago about how a conflict is about to pop off between israel and lebanon

Can you link it? Please and thanks

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
https://www.reddit.com/r/geopolitics/comments/cxoa4u/israel_and_hezbollah_close_to_war_an_analysis/

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Eh, it seems to me more likely that Bibi just wants to stir up some poo poo so that people vote for him so that he doesn't go to jail. Israel's parliamentary elections are September 17th, and he's had a good track record of Looking Tough to win elections, so that people are distracted that he's a terrible PM and a corrupt rear end in a top hat.

But we'll see, the current exchange seems to have satisfied the "tit-for-tat" principle (i.e. Israel attacked Beirut and killed two Hezbollah soldiers, then Hezbollah fired on a IDF center and maybe injured a soldier or two). But, I guess it's always Israeli will respond to the Hezbollah responses and escalate it again, as it seems kind of in their court now for what happens. At least Hezbollah didn't particularly amplify the current issue.

This is all really putting hell to my own drone permit application that is pending with the Lebanese air force. lolll I picked a terrible time to submit that.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 2, 2019

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

It was an armoured military ambulance and the IDF pretended to evacuate injured soldiers to hospital only later to declare that there were no casualties, presumably to provide Hezbollah with the victory images they need for domestic consumption.

A cynic might think that the Israeli government and Hezbollah need each other as an enemy to support their own political agenda.

https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1168549100062744576

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 2, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Unimpressed posted:

It was an armoured military ambulance and the IDF pretended to evacuate injured soldiers to hospital only later to declare that there were no casualties, presumably to provide Hezbollah with the victory images they need for domestic consumption.

A cynic might think that the Israeli government and Hezbollah need each other as an enemy to support their own political agenda.

According to Hezbollah, the missiles launched from Lebanon destroyed a tank, killing and wounding those inside it.

Israel, however, said the attack did not lead to any casualties on its side.

Al JAZEERA reported

"Tank" seems pretty ubiquitous as its moving pretty fast for a tank.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 3, 2019

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

"Tank" seems pretty ubiquitous as its moving pretty fast for a tank.

The arabic word for "Armored Vehicle" covers tanks and armoured cars.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

Hmm, two ATGMs from different directions, impacting within a second of each other. Pretty organized.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Hmm, two ATGMs from different directions, impacting within a second of each other. Pretty organized.

Hezbollah are probably the only force in the middle east on par with the IDF accounting for the level of capabilities they possess.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

Hezbollah are probably the only force in the middle east on par with the IDF accounting for the level of capabilities they possess.

Yeah, Hezbollah famously proved itself formidable during the 2006 war. This is the first evidence I've seen in ages of Hezbollah still being able to catch Israel by surprise; even though Israel was fully expecting this attack.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I dunno. Hezbollah has its Tiger Force equivalent, but how big is it realistically compared to the IDF?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I dunno. Hezbollah has its Tiger Force equivalent, but how big is it realistically compared to the IDF?

I don't think their strength is in numbers. They are basically a special operations detachment of the Iranian Republican Guard right on Israel's border. They have good training, and good weapons. And nowadays they are pretty battle hardened from so many serving in Syria.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Size doesnt matter in a layered defense strong point strategy like what Hezbollah employs. Israel can only project forces so far into lebanon before they get mired in vicious rocket attack volleys 24/7. I cant see morale to move forward and kill the arabs to be very high when rockets are raining and blowing up civilians and the idf alike.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Am I remembering correctly, or didn't Hezbollah (or at least the Leabonese shia) used to have a lot of internal problems dealing with Palestinian refugees? Is that still an issue, or has that resolved itself to some degree?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think people overstate what Hezbollah accomplished in 2006, and that elevating them to a near-equal to the Israeli armed forces seems wrong. They didn't really beat Israel so much as outlast them, since even the permissive environment Bush provided Israel led to the rest of the world wondering what was taking so long and telling them to knock it off, particularly as civilian casualties mounted. Arguably Hezbollah wouldn't have that to fall back on in a conflict today, since Trump is even more rabidly pro-Israel than Bush was, and the war in Syria made Hezbollah a lot of enemies/made some of those enemies less reluctant to side with Israel on regional matters, and showed what a real bloodbath looks like. That isn't to say Israel can easily roll in and stomp Hezbollah, but if war breaks out I think there will be fewer voices (with the exception of Russia, presumably) calling for a quick end to the conflict.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sinteres posted:

I think people overstate what Hezbollah accomplished in 2006, and that elevating them to a near-equal to the Israeli armed forces seems wrong. They didn't really beat Israel so much as outlast them, since even the permissive environment Bush provided Israel led to the rest of the world wondering what was taking so long and telling them to knock it off, particularly as civilian casualties mounted. Arguably Hezbollah wouldn't have that to fall back on in a conflict today, since Trump is even more rabidly pro-Israel than Bush was, and the war in Syria made Hezbollah a lot of enemies/made some of those enemies less reluctant to side with Israel on regional matters, and showed what a real bloodbath looks like. That isn't to say Israel can easily roll in and stomp Hezbollah, but if war breaks out I think there will be fewer voices (with the exception of Russia, presumably) calling for a quick end to the conflict.

I do think that they deserved some operational credibility from that, to be sure, but the majority of the change in opinion was their strength specifically wrt the IDF and that was far more a case of the IDF appearing wildly, ridiculously incompetent at actual war fighting than anything else. Hezbollah just appeared competent in the face of a vastly better equipped and, in theory, trained and higher tech foe. Which, to be fair, is like 90% of what a reputation for being a legit military is based upon, but still I do somewhat agree with you about the initial point.

As to how they relate now, well one of them has a huge amount of fresh combat experience in a variety of different modes of war and the other has done nothing operational against people who shoot back in over a decade.

A lot of what hezbollah demanded in exchange for help in syria was arms and equipment and pretty much entirely stuff intended to help out in a possible conflict with Israel.

Biggest question wrt their effectiveness is how much manpower they threw into the syrian meat grinder.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also I suspect that their operational ability to sustain shooting atgms into Israeli tanks would greatly outlast the Israeli public's willingness to keep having tanks blown up

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Saladman posted:

Eh, it seems to me more likely that Bibi just wants to stir up some poo poo so that people vote for him so that he doesn't go to jail. Israel's parliamentary elections are September 17th, and he's had a good track record of Looking Tough to win elections, so that people are distracted that he's a terrible PM and a corrupt rear end in a top hat.

But we'll see, the current exchange seems to have satisfied the "tit-for-tat" principle (i.e. Israel attacked Beirut and killed two Hezbollah soldiers, then Hezbollah fired on a IDF center and maybe injured a soldier or two). But, I guess it's always Israeli will respond to the Hezbollah responses and escalate it again, as it seems kind of in their court now for what happens. At least Hezbollah didn't particularly amplify the current issue.

This is all really putting hell to my own drone permit application that is pending with the Lebanese air force. lolll I picked a terrible time to submit that.

May you expand upon this? I'm pretty unaware of Bibi's history outside of his nickname of magician.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I don't think anyone equates Hezbollah's strength to the IDF. Rather in the capabilities they have, essentially light infantry at up to company scale, they are as proficient as any force.

Israel underestimated Hezbollah drastically in 2006, deployed its forces piecemeal and relied on assault by fire instead of by manoeuvre. Hezbollah executed a near perfect inferior force strategy, blended into the populace when required and used assymetrical fires effectively, whether precise munitions against armour or rocket fire into Israeli civilian centres.

Their proficiency in executing their strategy was at the highest level and I doubt the IDF will underestimate them in future. Bottom line is they have established an effective deterrent against one of the most powerful militaries in the world, one that is otherwise deploying force across the region with abandon.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I’m sure this is SOP for the IDF lol

https://twitter.com/Zinvor/status/1168661649206722561

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hezbollah is a quiet entity in terms of their buildup. It's been 12 loving years since 2006. 12 years of mostly undisturbed missile development aswell as hardening of their fortresses.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

What the hell is going on there lol

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

May you expand upon this? I'm pretty unaware of Bibi's history outside of his nickname of magician.

He's under a bunch of corruption probes, so many that it's not just a subset of his Wikipedia entry, but it has its own entire Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investigations_involving_Benjamin_Netanyahu

He also has immunity, and power, so long as he's PM, so he won't leave office willingly. Stirring up, but not actually starting, a war is a great way to get votes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
'abandoned apcs' are two 60+ year old m113s, which israel has like 5500 of and lebanon already has over 1000 of

E: random aside, but the m113 is a particularly cool piece of military equipment as far as that poo poo goes in that it's basically the ak47 of APCs. It was simple and idiot proof, cheap, effective, efficient, and extremely mobile (they're even amphibious). Plus they carried 11 soldiers.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 3, 2019

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A new UN report has been published on Yemen, with some serious statements:

https://twitter.com/AJENews/status/1168831036379357184

https://twitter.com/HodaAH/status/1168842650340003840

quote:

U.S., France, Britain may be complicit in Yemen war crimes, U.N. report says

The United States, Britain and France may be complicit in war crimes in Yemen by arming and providing intelligence and logistics support to a Saudi-led coalition that starves civilians as a war tactic, the United Nations said on Tuesday.

U.N. investigators compiled a secret list of possible international war crimes suspects, drawn from their latest report into violations during the four-year conflict between a coalition of Arab states and the Houthi movement that controls Yemen’s capital.

Investigators found potential crimes on both sides, while also highlighting the role Western countries play as key backers of the Arab states and Iran plays in support of the Houthis.

The report accused the anti-Houthi coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates of killing civilians in air strikes and deliberately denying them food in a country facing famine. The Houthis for their part have shelled cities, deployed child soldiers and used “siege-like warfare”, it said.

The Houthis drove Yemen’s government out of the capital Sanaa in 2014. The Saudi-led coalition of Sunni Muslim states intervened the following year to restore the ousted government, a conflict that has since killed tens of thousands of people.

The prospect of famine has created what the United Nations describes as the world’s biggest humanitarian crisis.

The U.N. report said its independent panel had sent a secret list to U.N. human rights chief Michelle Bachelet, identifying “individuals who may be responsible for international crimes”.

Its appendix lists the names of more than 160 “main actors” among Saudi, Emirati and Yemeni top brass as well as the Houthi movement, although it did not specify whether any of these names also figured in its list of potential suspects.

“Individuals in the Government of Yemen and the coalition, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, may have conducted airstrikes in violation of the principles of distinction, proportionality and precaution, and may have used starvation as a method of warfare, acts that may amount to war crimes,” it said.

“The legality of arms transfers by France, the United Kingdom, the United States and other States remains questionable, and is the subject of various domestic court proceedings.”

It found that a Joint Incidents Assessment Team set up by Saudi Arabia to review alleged coalition violations had failed to hold anyone accountable for any strike killing civilians, raising “concerns as to the impartiality of its investigations”.

The U.N. panel said it had received allegations that Emirati and affiliated forces have tortured, raped and killed suspected political opponents detained in secret facilities, while Houthi forces had planted land mines.

Air strikes by the Saudi-led military coalition in southwest Yemen hit a prison complex, killing scores of people, the Houthi movement and a Red Cross official said on Sunday.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

'abandoned apcs' are two 60+ year old m113s, which israel has like 5500 of and lebanon already has over 1000 of

Look at all the poo poo bolted on it, it’s an artillery observer or command vehicle or something. Regardless they left the loving hatch open - lmao they were shook (or maybe it really is some next level mind game but I doubt it).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Here just use this cnc vehicle we happen to have left behind and definitely didn't conveniently wire up with a billion bugs first

I mean who knows what happened without actual info, much less non russia today info, but nothing as presented adds up yet.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
presumably they would have driven it away if it was operational, though I suppose they probably would have more fully disabled it if they were intending to abandon it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

quote:

The M113 took part in the Yom Kippur War in October 1973, when the IDF was equipped with 448 M113s that saw action on the Sinai and Golan fronts. They proved inadequate for direct fighting due to their poor armor protection. In the Battle of Buq'atta most of the 7th Recon Company was wiped out while trying to assault Syrian commandos with their M-113s.[39] They were used by the IDF in the 1978 South Lebanon conflict. In the 1982 Lebanon War, they saw heavy action. PLO ambushes with RPGs caused extensive casualties because of the tendency of the M113's aluminum armor to catch on fire after being hit by anti-tank weapons. Israeli infantrymen being ferried by M113s learned to quickly dismount and fight on foot when engaged.[40] By the time of the Siege of Beirut, M113s were only used to carry supplies to the front line, always stopping at least 100 meters from enemy lines. M113s were subsequently used by both the IDF and the South Lebanon Army during the South Lebanon conflict.

lovely transport. It will make a great tractor.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I mean the M113 isn't and never was intended to survive RPG hits. Pretty much no IFV or APC is outside of the few Israeli APC models they converted from old tank hulls.

What it does a great job of is protecting infantry from artillery and small arms fire. If your options are an M113, a truck, or walking, what do you think is the safer form of transportation?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well yeah when you try to use it as an infantry fighting vehicle of course that’s the result. It ain’t made for getting into shoot outs, it’s only armored against small arms fire

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I’m starting a gofundme to send someone back to that base, go through the personal effects, and mail the soldiers’ porno mags to their mommas

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Here just use this cnc vehicle we happen to have left behind and definitely didn't conveniently wire up with a billion bugs first

I mean who knows what happened without actual info, much less non russia today info, but nothing as presented adds up yet.

that reminds me of the buildings China generously built for the... African Union? that were pretty much more listening device than construction material :v:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I’m starting a gofundme to send someone back to that base, go through the personal effects, and mail the soldiers’ porno mags to their mommas

Are you like 60 years old? Porno magazines are like... not a thing people have anymore.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Saladman posted:

Are you like 60 years old? Porno magazines are like... not a thing people have anymore.

Ever been part of a military? They are a thing.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Saladman posted:

Yeah my tablet gets great reception in the field. I keep the signal up continuously because you never know when you might wanna beat your meat

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah my tablet gets great reception in the field. I keep the signal up continuously because you never know when you might wanna beat your meat

Yeah I guess for US military, but for IDF here’s an exhaustive list of places that they don’t get at least 3G coeverage in Israel and Palestine:

Actually maybe there’s like one military base in the Negev that only gets EDGE.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its interesting reading about the life of the average person in conflict zones in places like syria and then realizing wow, in probably less than 20 years that'll be the lifestyle of most human beings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Erdogan's a loving lunatic:

https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/1169329554336432136