Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Okage is a game I received for christmas one year leading me to believe my family splurged and got me a ps2 only to discover they didnt realize a playstation and a ps2 were different things and I could not play ps2 games on a ps1.

I have never played it since out of spite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

Okage is a game I love in concept but I hate playing.

it's the definition of a game that's more fun to bum through on an emulator than to slog through on actual hardware lol

like with turbo battles are only a few seconds long, i can't imagine playing this game and having all these battles take like half a minute to get through

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The worst thing about playing Okage on emulator is you have to use software plugins for PCSX2, unless anything has changed, because the hardware ones tank the frame rate. So you can't fancy up the graphics, unless you like playing at 10 FPS.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The worst thing about playing Okage on emulator, is you have to use software plugins for PCSX2, unless anything has changed, because the hardware ones tank the frame rate. So you can't fancy up the graphics, unless you like playing at 10 FPS.

it's largely dependent on your gpu, i think if you have a really good one it runs fine

okage is one of the few ps2 games where i think i don't mind running in native res tho, the game already has this weird low-poly claymation-y look and it's not like it's a game that demands that much extra visual clarity. maybe that's just cause my brain's adjusted to the lower res look from playing anodyne 2 and tons of psx/saturn games in native res though

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Okage is kind of the perfect Lets Play game. The writing, music and art design are the real stars of the show, and come off even better when you don't have to slog through boxy dungeons to experience them

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Dark Cloud 2 is at least a game and a half.

It's several halves all from different games, so you got half-assed photography, half-assed mecha, half-assed city building, half-assed golfing and so on

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
level-5, forever attempting to create a whole rear end from pieces of other, malnourished asses

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I thought Fantasy Life was alright, if you appreciate a really grindy ARPG now and then.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I thought Fantasy Life was alright, if you appreciate a really grindy ARPG now and then.

yeah, fantasy life definitely suffers from having no variety in its crafting minigames but it was still charming as hell with a satisfying gameplay loop

love mining ore as a miner so i can make a sword as a blacksmith to use as a paladin

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

whens red ash
:cawg:

The Colonel posted:

it's funny to me that there was a point where people were convinced inafune was like, personally responsible for the soul of mega man legends and it would never be the same game without him

when like. i'm pretty sure, the guy didn't really ever go deeper than sketching out character and plot outlines for mega man. like i don't think, he personally wrote every line of the script to the first three mega man zero games lol
Yeah after seeing what he spit out for Mighty Nine I'm now hoping for somebody else to make a spiritual successor Bloodstained style

Maybe with some actual RPG mechanics so I'm on-topic for this thread :v:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Command Mission 2, hell yea

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Command Mission 2, hell yea

Don't toy with my heart like this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But how could we know the masked vigilante Orez was actually Zeor, the evil clone of Zero made using stolen parts from Zero's brother Zore???

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Joking aside, I would really enjoy a Battle Network package like the Zero/ZX we're getting for the Ps4. I always felt like I didn't appreciate those as much as they deserved.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The August sale for PSN ends in 9 hours. Lots of RPGs in there.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 3, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all that a battle network collection would do is let you directly contrast how much better battle network 3 and 6 are than every other game and it probably wouldn't restore any of the cut bn6 post-game to the us release

otoh it would let more people see how cute ribitta and pride's bn5 designs are which would be a net win

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm still angry that BN5DS happened and made you pick a side rather than united the campaigns. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE DEFINITIVE VERSION.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the definitive version of bn5 would be a complete total conversion with a new story about princess pride and ribitta going out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
battle network 6 is funny cause its plot is a mess but it's like. the one battle network game with a villain squad who are actually kind of amazing characters and get to have pretty consistent roles and funny gags

prosecutor ito and yuika are like, the best villains in the entire series by far to the point that they kind of upstage loving dr. wily, who's big defining moment in bn6's story is him saying "one day i met baryl's dad in The War and then he died and i got very angry and thats why im bad now"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

battle network 6 is funny cause its plot is a mess but it's like. the one battle network game with a villain squad who are actually kind of amazing characters and get to have pretty consistent roles and funny gags

prosecutor ito and yuika are like, the best villains in the entire series by far to the point that they kind of upstage loving dr. wily, who's big defining moment in bn6's story is him saying "one day i met baryl's dad in The War and then he died and i got very angry and thats why im bad now"
don't forget wily's least likely survival of an exploding base, ever

because he wasn't even trying to escape, they just found him alive in the rubble, iirc

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as revisiting titles goes, I love how the Starforce enhanced crossover for BN1 doesn't take the opportunity to put in any quality of life enhancements or anything, but just kind of awkwardly hacks in some new events and calls it a game.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i have a real soft spot for 3 because proto is the creepiest and coolest final boss in that series, being the first draft of the internet that's actually a yellow devil, and the extra area was also rad and something different

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best part of battle network is how it, entirely on accident, predicted almost everything how the internet would integrate with the world

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

the best part of battle network is how it, entirely on accident, predicted almost everything how the internet would integrate with the world

Honestly I'd just feel sorry for what NetNavi's would have to deal with on the real internet.

"You want me to search and collect images of what?!"

*>SELF-DELETE NAVI.EXE*

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

Absolutely. Back in the early aughts, I thought that having a TV and a stove connected to the internet sounded insane. Nowadays you have refrigerators that take pictures of the inside of your fridge, make your grocery list for you, and email it to you. You can stream a movie from the internet to your laptop and project it to your TV. It's almost scary how accurate those doofy, nearly 20-year-old games about VR cybercrimes are to the modern world.

We're living the MMBN collection.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Nowadays you have refrigerators that take pictures of the inside of your fridge, make your grocery list for you, and email it to you.
These may exist, but I'm not convinced anyone has them.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Washing machine that connects to the internet is my favorite one that they called because I laughed at the idea at the time

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Erg posted:

Washing machine that connects to the internet is my favorite one that they called because I laughed at the idea at the time

Sometimes I put the load in but forgot to turn the machine on before leaving the apartment :shobon:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wanted to say it called the cyber crime too, but has anyone been doing cyber crime to affect washing machines and ovens?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wanted to say it called the cyber crime too, but has anyone been doing cyber crime to affect washing machines and ovens?

Internet of Things devices tend to be hilariously easy for hackers to own because they have almost non-existent security, and they're quite useful for making botnets out of as all they have to do is spit traffic or pings at a target.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

There is indeed a toaster oven connected to the net that has been reported to turn itself on and preheat to 500f in the middle of the night

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nobody's used hacking to kill someone by making their oven set their house on fire, but they're a critical part of hacking infrastructure these days because they're completely unsecure devices that nobody is going to check, so you can use them to DDOS stuff or bounce signals along.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
There's always talk of pacemakers having the risk of being hacked to kill someone but they're always being constantly reworked to avoid that so no deaths so far.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's still hosed up that the best battle network protag, a depressed girl with a pacemaker who's bumming in yai's house, was exclusive to battle chip challenge

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Battle Network owns. Megaman.exe is the best version of him

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's still hosed up that the best battle network protag, a depressed girl with a pacemaker who's bumming in yai's house, was exclusive to battle chip challenge

That would be some real existential fear, especially if you have to regularly hack into your own heart more or less to clear out viruses.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

That would be some real existential fear, especially if you have to regularly hack into your own heart more or less to clear out viruses.

yeah it owns why the hell did they make an insanely interesting character for the battle network universe and only have her appear in one spinoff game

there's so much cool poo poo you could do with different character ideas in battle network that the main thing i'm sad about is every game having to star lan and every female character going by the absolute wayside outside of literally just one spinoff. battle network 3 is a pretty good game but the fact that they introduced a New Boy who appears in literally none of the games after it, purely so they could justify not bringing mayl or yai to the evil bad guy island at the end, is so dumb lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 3, 2019

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

Have we entrusted the entire justice system to a tree yet?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

yeah it owns why the hell did they make an insanely interesting character for the battle network universe and only have her appear in one spinoff game

there's so much cool poo poo you could do with different character ideas in battle network that the main thing i'm sad about is every game having to star lan and every female character going by the absolute wayside outside of literally just one spinoff. battle network 3 is a pretty good game but the fact that they introduced a New Boy who appears in literally none of the games after it, purely so they could justify not bringing mayl or yai to the evil bad guy island at the end, is so dumb lol

If they simply wanted to avoid bringing a girl they would have picked Dex, who's already established as Lan's buddy, rival, and at least theoretically a good battler. This is a weird way of looking at it. They probably wanted to do something else with Mamoru that got scrapped for whatever reason, the way Gospel Lad has a cameo in 3.

Also, the same subplot puts up that the most powerful Navi in existence is nonbinary.

e: like I'm not saying Battle Network doesn't have as least as much bullshit about girls as any cartoon for boys (Roll's entire thing is just grandfathered from Classic and mixed with JRPG cliches) but there's nothing extra or malicious about this one, it's not nearly as tropey as basically anything about Iris

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Caphi posted:

If they simply wanted to avoid bringing a girl they would have picked Dex, who's already established as Lan's buddy, rival, and at least theoretically a good battler. This is a weird way of looking at it. They probably wanted to do something else with Mamoru that got scrapped for whatever reason, the way Gospel Lad has a cameo in 3.

Also, the same subplot puts up that the most powerful Navi in existence is nonbinary.

e: like I'm not saying Battle Network doesn't have as least as much bullshit about girls as any cartoon for boys (Roll's entire thing is just grandfathered from Classic and mixed with JRPG cliches) but there's nothing extra or malicious about this one, it's not nearly as tropey as basically anything about Iris

they did do that. dex pops in at like the last minute for a heroic rescue in one of the segments of the island, the main reason they don't ask him along first thing is cause he's in another country

also i'm... not talking about mamoru? mamoru is fine, i'm talking about tora. and i don't think it's the worst thing in the world, just, kind of annoying. if that was bad enough to ruin battle network for me i wouldn't have gone through six games