Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

The T is always a pretty modest upgrade, there was no SoC upgrade at all going from the 6 to the 6T.

Yeah, but there was at least something. The 6T went to narrower bezels with the teardrop notch, updated camera modules, in display fingerprint reader.

For the OnePlus 7T Pro, i uhhhh, got nothing. The 7T is at least rumored to also get the 90hz screen so it will have some upgrade over the 7 and really takes away one of the main selling points of the Pro. The 7T Pro though, what in the hell could they change aside from putting the 855+ in there, there's no newer hardware or design trends to chase and we know from the leaked render that it's still a popup FFC and in display fingerprint reader.

Maybe Oneplus will finally cave on wireless charging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm excited to see what they come up with, I'm itching to get rid of my P2 because it's battery is kinda shot by now and buy either a P4(XL?) Or OP7T (Pro?)

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 30, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wonder if they will release the 7T in the US since they didn't do it for the regular 7.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to jump ship to Apple, when I'm interested in some more extensive/integrated health tracking? Seems they're relatively pro-active in thinking up new things to track or analyze (whereas for instance entities like Samsung are largely reactive to their ideas, Google's just half-assing it since forever), and they have a silo app most companies want to integrate with.

Meanwhile on Android, I either have to hope the various services support each others APIs, or have to mess around with apps like HealthSync to bridge things, which in turn seem to be hellbent breaking permissions given every few days with yet another update.
Not crazy, but there are android solutions unless you're wholly against using more than one app to do it.
I use a miband (they're about $30) and the app can be synced to Samsung health / Google fit using healthsync. I've quite literally never had a permissions error in ~1 year of this setup, though sometimes healthsync will fail and require you to do this manually. Once a month or less, at no great inconvenience.
I don't know what metrics Apple capture that this setup doesn't.

e: the golden ticket for me was exempting all these apps from battery management. Once you do that it's a set and forget and it just works. I imagine the permissions errors are more likely a stopped app.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 30, 2019

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
There are rumors that 7t will have a newer Snapdragon, but I don't really follow into that stuff, so who knows how accurate it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ijii posted:

There are rumors that 7t will have a newer Snapdragon, but I don't really follow into that stuff, so who knows how accurate it is.

The 855+ yeah, but it's not really all that much different than the 855.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

The 855+ yeah, but it's not really all that much different than the 855.

It is same exact chip, just binned higher. In other words it is "less hosed up" on a microscopic level, which allows it to be clocked higher without risking a crash. It might even be that they aren't necessarily binned higher, rather that the phone has to have good enough heat dissipation before Qualcomm allows it to be clocked that high and branded as a Plus. Architecturally / feature-wise there is no difference.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The 7t is going to have a big round camera bump so maybe a better camera? That's all I can think of.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The 7t is going to have a big round camera bump so maybe a better camera? That's all I can think of.

That's the 7t though, it's also getting 90hz according to the leaks. The 7T pro has been leaked as the same form factor.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I noticed a few weeks ago that my Huawei Mate SE's screen and body had separated, possibly because of an expanded battery, so the screen protruded from my relatively thick case which meant it shattered next time I dropped it. I had to call six places to find somewhere that serviced Huawei phones at all. He said he could have the screen in a few days, but replacement batteries are totally unavailable from all of his state side vendors and he'd have to order it on eBay from China.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Given the likely repair cost and uncertainty with OS and security updates, is the phone really worth fixing at this point?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

grack posted:

Given the likely repair cost and uncertainty with OS and security updates, is the phone really worth fixing at this point?
It isn't, I'm sharing to warn people of one downside of venturing far off the beaten path with unknown-in-the-west brands like Huawei, Xiaomi, & OnePlus. If your phone gets damaged, you might be stuck up poo poo creek without a paddle, especially if you live outside a major urban area.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

bull3964 posted:

That's the 7t though, it's also getting 90hz according to the leaks. The 7T pro has been leaked as the same form factor.

Urgggh hopefully the 8 does away with the curved screen

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Oh geez I didn't know there was a 7t pro too.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Maybe it will have a headphone jack and removable battery :v:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Pixel 2 XL Android Q Beta

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Define doesn't work for me at all, for what it's worth. Pixel 3 XL, latest Q beta.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I hate how I have to go into a sub menu to pick "select all" most of the time in 9.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ShoogaSlim posted:

Pixel 2 XL Android Q Beta

Indications are that 10 final is launching today, probably around 1800 GMT.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

It isn't, I'm sharing to warn people of one downside of venturing far off the beaten path with unknown-in-the-west brands like Huawei, Xiaomi, & OnePlus. If your phone gets damaged, you might be stuck up poo poo creek without a paddle, especially if you live outside a major urban area.

To be fairrrrrrrr, even the more familiar names make people feel the same way with domestic devices.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sininu posted:

I hate how I have to go into a sub menu to pick "select all" most of the time in 9.

The inability to do this in Gmail kills me every time I open it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Android 10 ist officially out.
What's the best way to update from the last beta to release without losing data while leaving the beta channel?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If your bootloader is unlocked, its as easy as getting the latest factory image, and using fastboot to run the FlashAll.BAT file after removing the -W from the script which wipes the phone.

That flashes everything and makes sure your phone is fully up to date really. Otherwise if you are locked down still, you get to just wait for the OTA to go from Beta to Final I suppose.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
From what I'm reading this is basically the most boring Android update in years, is that basically true? Not that I'm upset about it or anything. There's only so much you can do.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I sideloaded the OTA on my Pixel 3XL and now it just boots to the Google screen and never gets any further. It's been sitting for about ten minutes.

UGH why did I do this.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

If your bootloader is unlocked, its as easy as getting the latest factory image, and using fastboot to run the FlashAll.BAT file after removing the -W from the script which wipes the phone.

That flashes everything and makes sure your phone is fully up to date really. Otherwise if you are locked down still, you get to just wait for the OTA to go from Beta to Final I suppose.

When you try to leave the beta program they show you a scary "we will send you an ota that will delete everything" message.
I guess maybe update to release and then turn beta off because they can't send you an ota when you are already on the latest official release was the way to do it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Did a couple reboots and now it gets to a G with a progress bar. So I guess that's something.

Edit: NVM it's up and working now

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 3, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

When you try to leave the beta program they show you a scary "we will send you an ota that will delete everything" message.
I guess maybe update to release and then turn beta off because they can't send you an ota when you are already on the latest official release was the way to do it.

Yea I believe if you leave the beta mid beta then it does drop you back to official with a wipe as technically you are going backwards a version and that can mess stuff up.

Dropping into the official release first should prevent that, but as I do all my flashing manually still I am not speaking from direct experience here. Others here who have messed with the beta program only using OTA's should be able to chime in to confirm though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
You don't need to leave the beta after it has been released as that beta only applied for android 10. You will still need to opt-in for future betas, you don't need to leave the beta to get the final release, should show up today for you if you press the "check for updates" or wait for your rollout time.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Sir Lemming posted:

From what I'm reading this is basically the most boring Android update in years, is that basically true? Not that I'm upset about it or anything. There's only so much you can do.

They have a serious attempt at gestures this time, that's pretty big I reckon.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is anything changed compared to the final beta?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The OTA is 5,5mb so I recon not a lot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
OTA is live. I'm downloading it now and I wasn't in the beta.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

hooah posted:

OTA is live. I'm downloading it now and I wasn't in the beta.

Pixel 3 and I don't have the update yet, coworker has the Essential Phone and he's had it for a few hours now :confused:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Merkinman posted:

Pixel 3 and I don't have the update yet, coworker has the Essential Phone and he's had it for a few hours now :confused:

I'd make a crack about it being easier to roll out to a phone that didn't sell well, but, that's also the Pixel line...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Merkinman posted:

I have a p3xl and it claims to be installing right now. This poo poo rolls out kinda gradually.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The Merkinman posted:

if manually check for updates a couple times it will show up, otherwise it will show up on a rolled stage.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I checked earlier and there was nothing, 20min later and it installed.

Full gesture feels weird, probably gonna stick with 2-button. I'll give it a day or two, we'll see.

Making the home screen go back to squircles was another step more convoluted compared to 9. They're gonna remove it next version, aren't they?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Got it on a regular pixel 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://twitter.com/davey_burke/status/1168956099984265216?s=19