Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

That's essentially what she said. But how the hell is that supposed to help? At best you sound like you are calling your patient a liar at worst you sound like an utter psychopath.

A general rule of therapy is that you can't impress your therapist with how miserable you are, because your therapist has almost certainly seem someone way more impressively miserable than you.

The question is one to engage with at face value. Why are you in therapy if you are utterly convinced that there is no point in it? A therapist cannot give you the desire to improve, only tools. If you're insistent that you don't want to improve they aren't going to drag you there. And if you actually don't want to improve then why are you in therapy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Up next: Dumb British Blonde Stripped and Humiliated By American NOT-Stepdad

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hello everyone when is Bloody Stupid Johnson going to gently caress it today, please

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
This can't be right

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1168820548232777728

If so the FTPA has to be the worst piece of legislation ever drafted.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

Plot twist: the government will be saved by the Lib Dems and Change UK today.

You know it’s true

It's only a plot twist if it's something that isn't obviously going to happen.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ukle posted:

Well yeah

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ukle posted:

This can't be right

Not really, the FTPA was basically just to make it hard for the coalition of 2010 to collapse prematurely. Parliament is and always has been sovereign and if it wants to call a general election all you've ever needed was a majority of one. But generally it's going to have to be the government to push that bill. All it takes is a simple majority to overturn the FTPA permanently anyway, this way is just lower effort.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

ukle posted:

This can't be right

Parliamentary Sovereignty! :toot:

Not only is Parliament supreme over other elements of the government, the current Parliament is supreme over previous Parliaments.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ukle posted:

This can't be right

Nah it's always been obvious. Parliament can pass any law it likes with a simple majority, so you can hardly bind it by requiring a 2/3 majority if it can just vote to ignore it. It's just not been convenient for the government to ignore the FTPA so far.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

ukle posted:

This can't be right

Yeah, I’m not buying this as possible until I’ve seen something more on it

E: well never mind then :v:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

AceOfFlames posted:

My therapist ended my process in which even she recommended I go see someone else with "I am going to write to your GP that you are feeling better". Now I don't know if that can be a basis for my insurance to gently caress me over if I go somewhere else.

Well better not try then

This is a brilliant life philosophy to protect you from misery

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ukle posted:

This can't be right

No parliament can bind a future one, it's an extraordinarily stupid piece of legislation that only works if the government doesn't :v:

To say nothing of the fact a simple majority could just repeal the FTPA whenever it wanted to as well, it just takes a while.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Chuka Umana posted:

Plot twist: the government will be saved by the Lib Dems and Change UK today.

You know it’s true

I seriously worry the CUKers will abstain. They all thought they were Macron and now they're being asked to vote to end their careers.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The hell is up with this background? It looks like the backdrop of an Hieronymus Bosch painting.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

That's essentially what she said. But how the hell is that supposed to help? At best you sound like you are calling your patient a liar at worst you sound like an utter psychopath.

It's meant to help because therapy only works if you are willing to engage. And if you're deeply buried in a hole of your own making, be it "for protection" or any other reason, you're not going to engage. So the first step is forcing you to admit that there is a tiny part of you that still has the capacity for hope and optimism or else you'd not be wasting your own time in this potentially unpleasant and even traumatic endeavour. And yes, therapy can be traumatic at first. Sometimes you have to confront something horrible before you can move on and "get better" for want of a better term. That's not psychopathic and while I don't think it's calling you a liar, I do think it's entirely fair for a therapist to call you out if you are deluding yourself. That's not passing judgement on your lying to yourself but you can't move on if you believe something patently false like how you're better just surrendering to the despair than kicking back against the pricks.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Zalakwe posted:

I seriously worry the CUKers will abstain. They all thought they were Macron and now they're being asked to vote to end their careers.

I am entirely sure they will all abstain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The problem with the FPTA is entirely the stupid effects it has when the government is incredibly weak such as the 14 day returns period after a VONC

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The problem with the FTPA is the Lib Dems came up with it.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ukle posted:

This can't be right

at a certain level, no parliament can bind a future parliament and so the FPTA was always doomed. at another level though, the state's behaviour is governed by the population's expectations. the FPTA was an attempt to alter those expectations, and the longer it stands without someone going 'well actually 51% of MPs say we're having an election', the stronger it binds

you can say it's an issue with westminster systems, but it's really an issue with all systems. written constitutions and separation of powers are really intended to make it harder to alter the population's expectations. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alanferrier/status/1168184926895820801?s=21

Speaking of rich psychopaths:

https://twitter.com/spconnolly/status/1168108704077688832?s=21

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

a great example is how the american executive can run wars without congressional approval despite that being explicitly forbidden in the constitution, thanks to a century of executives pushing public expectations on that particular topic

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

coffeetable posted:

a great example is how the american executive can run wars without congressional approval despite that being explicitly forbidden in the constitution, thanks to a century of executives pushing public expectations on that particular topic

Wasn't this compounded with the AUMF that Bush passed

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Yeah, the FTPA imposes a political barrier, not a legal one. As mentioned above, it can be sidestepped temporarily or permanently with a single line in any future legislation.

The idea is (theoretically) that you force whoever is looking to do so to face political pressure from the public/other MPs/etc. Unless there's a pressing need (or there's no political cost because the electorate just doesn't care) people aren't going to bother trying to overturning it.

All this, of course, assumes a rational government and electorate. I'm sure you can see the problem.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Useful reminder that you should join Labour Against Private Schools and get your local CLP to pass their motion to get the issue debated at conference.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Wasn't this compounded with the AUMF that Bush passed
that's one of the big advances in recent memory, but the korean war was a 'police action'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

coffeetable posted:

~police actions~

quote:

Surely, this will be the last opportunity for me to address you. The Air Force has bombed the antennas of Radio 5 Live. My words do not have bitterness but disappointment. May they be a moral punishment for those who have betrayed their oath … Given these facts, the only thing left for me is to say to workers: I am not going to resign!
Placed in a historic transition, I will pay for loyalty to the people with my life. And I say to them that I am certain that the seeds which we have planted in the good conscience of thousands and thousands of Britons will not be shriveled forever. They have force and will be able to dominate us, but social processes can be arrested by neither crime nor force. History is ours, and people make history.
Workers of my country: I want to thank you for the loyalty that you always had …
The people must defend themselves, but they must not sacrifice themselves. The people must not let themselves be destroyed or riddled with bullets, but they cannot be humiliated either.
Workers of my country, I have faith in your destiny. Other men will overcome this dark and bitter moment when treason seeks to prevail. Keep in mind that, much sooner than later, great avenues will again be opened, through which will pass the free man, to construct a better society.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Right, but MPs earn over 100k at the moment and are still corrupt as gently caress.

At least if you set the salary as (for example) 1.5x the modal average income for the country they rule, there'd be incentive for them to improve the economy and also hack down billionaire incomes without it loving them up too much.

The second idea works but only if the same individual can’t immediately walk into a private sector job at several multiples of that salary.

As for the first one, well, just across the border in China politicians have a very low official salary - mid-senior level officials in Beijing can be paid as little as RMB 5,000 (GBP 500) per month, in a city that can be as expensive as London. You can decide for yourself whether that makes them more likely to think like the regular citizen or highly motivated to find ways of monetising their power, despite the literal death penalty that accompanies official corruption.

We have a different type of corruption in the UK; it’s well institutionalised and operates through the massive wealth transfer to the oligarchy. Underpaying public servants isn’t the answer.

I mean, it sucks that we have to bribe people not to abuse their power but we’re all just highly evolved apes unfortunately.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Beefeater1980 posted:

As for the first one, well, just across the border in China politicians have a very low official salary - mid-senior level officials in Beijing can be paid as little as RMB 5,000 (GBP 500) per month, in a city that can be as expensive as London. You can decide for yourself whether that makes them more likely to think like the regular citizen or highly motivated to find ways of monetising their power, despite the literal death penalty that accompanies official corruption.
It's the old saying. Living a life of crime and corruption is great. It's the getting caught by someone that will gently caress you.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Normal MPs earn about £80k don't they? Not over £100k.

I'd be happy to pay them more but have a severe crackdown on allowing them to have second jobs, directorships and other sources of significant income. Also make it properly loving illegal for them to be landlords.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The best (or “best”) thing is that these speeches will be written by 12-year-olds.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Junior G-man posted:

Another part of FT's series on the Corbyn Economy is up and I just wanna :fap:

If they can only half the poo poo the FT describes in these articles, it would still transform society.

lel with these types of policies it seems like labour is more interested in running a general erection than an election

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

I'd be happy to pay them more but have a severe crackdown on allowing them to have second jobs, directorships and other sources of significant income. Also make it properly loving illegal for them to be landlords.
Also tie their pension going forward after being an MP to the long term economic performance of the state and also abolish the Lords with force and replace it with a Council of Provinces.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168827856824229888?s=09

I don't think Dominic Cummings has thought this through rationally.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

For those of you who don't check CSPAM, there's a thread with one of those silly little leftist political compass style quiz where they ask you 70-odd questions before concluding if you're a tankie or a succdem

Because it's important to know if we the thread has been as properly radicalised towards anarchism as it sometimes feels like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know yeah labour could just amend any bill the government needs to pass with a no deal block.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

peanut- posted:

Honestly I really have no problem with MPs being paid (very) well, as long as they're good and faithful at their jobs. It's 24/7 madness and a lot of travel with a (at least some?) responsibility, definitely more if you're leading a Committee or are in the Shadow Cabinet. I'd rather they're paid well enough by the people in order not to 'need' to take sidejobs with the City. The thing we need to figure out is what to do with them when they're done. At the very minimum a blanket ban on any lobbying activities (that's actually enforced for a change) for like 3 years.

I think the European Commission forbids its high officials from being lobbyists in their sector for a few years, and specifically forbids them from interacting with their previous department. I'd be OK with that.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

notaspy posted:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168827856824229888?s=09

I don't think Dominic Cummings has thought this through rationally.

Don't amendments have to be specifically related to the bill they're amending though?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I'm also looking forward to the SNP absolutely butchering the ScotTories in the event of an election, especially without Ruth Davidson being in charge there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Honestly I really have no problem with MPs being paid (very) well, as long as they're good and faithful at their jobs. It's 24/7 madness and a lot of travel with a (at least some?) responsibility, definitely more if you're leading a Committee or are in the Shadow Cabinet. I'd rather they're paid well enough by the people in order not to 'need' to take sidejobs with the City. The thing we need to figure out is what to do with them when they're done. At the very minimum a blanket ban on any lobbying activities (that's actually enforced for a change) for like 3 years.

I think the European Commission forbids its high officials from being lobbyists in their sector for a few years, and specifically forbids them from interacting with their previous department. I'd be OK with that.

If it were up to me I'd say once you become an MP you get the salary for the rest of your life, but any income beyond that gets taxed at 100%. You take the job and that's you for life, anything else you do after is strictly volunteering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Midnight- posted:

Don't amendments have to be specifically related to the bill they're amending though?

"...for the purpose of parliamentary sovereignty, allowing article 50 to expire during the prorogation of parliament due to the election is not allowed, and an extension sought at the first opportunity."