Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I was going to ride bikes but I repainted part of the deck instead. used the old ugly paint the previous owners left cause idc what color free paint is

when the wood rots I'll replace it with some recycled plastic monstrosity

I miss camping already :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Silver Alicorn posted:

skipped a lot of boring work posts, bump

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

we read this as a class in early elementary school - I accidentally kept my copy past the end of the school year and I was convinced the library police or whoever was gonna come after me, lol.

it's probably still in my parents house somewhere

poo poo we even read that in nz

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Terrible sleep

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I just want to go back to bed

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Methanar posted:

Terrible sleep

Is this a consistent issue have you seen a doctor about it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hello thread should we let Methanar keep posting in here or kindly redirect them to another thread/subforum?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Methanar posted:

I just want to go back to bed

Please seek professional help.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

pointsofdata posted:

Is this a consistent issue have you seen a doctor about it.

it tracks with stress basically 1:1.

I spent 6 months last year with nightly intolerable existential horror nightmares. i don't want to go back to those.

haven't seen a doctor, im more able to see one now than I was the last few years i guess

graph posted:

hello thread should we let Methanar keep posting in here or kindly redirect them to another thread/subforum?

i dont want to talk to non computer touchers.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Methanar, please see a general practitioner, psychologist or psychiatrist depending on what’s available to you

I had a mental health crisis earlier this summer. I thought I would never be able to return to work or stop having intrusive suicidal thoughts. it was brought on by the ennui of modern life + the constant threat of disenfranchisement due to being gay/transgender under Cheeto presidente. also I was already being treated for generalized anxiety

I got help, and it helped, somewhat. everything is still poo poo and scary, but I have better tools to deal with it (drugs, mindfulness and meditation). I’m back at work and at least I’m making money to pay rent etc. just moved apartments and that is also a pretty good change

if you seek help for this, what they will likely be able to do is grant you a month or more time off work to attend an outpatient help program. I did this and just being able to take that kind of time off work was as much help as the outpatient program. got to claim disability too. the outpatient program was 3 days/wk of guided group therapy for 3 hours, focusing on mindfulness, cognitive behavioral therapy and other scientifically proven methods. this is an industry wide thing so you should be able to find a place that does it if you live in/near a city

that said, this thread is not a therapist. YosPos is not your doctor. I opened this thread in a lighthearted spirit to discuss the ridiculousness of the modern office & the restorative powers of grounding oneself within nature. you are not helping yourself by posting walls of text in here

this is not a rejection, this is a reality check. please consider why you are posting and whether it is productive for you at all.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Methanar posted:

please consider sources other than yospos as a source of counseling since many yosposters struggle with substance addiction and lack positive outlets for their depression/anxiety, you would be better served by people with knowledge and training dealing with personal crises

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just take your meds, halve them, then halve them again, then halve them again. That's the correct dose.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at any rate, stymie is correct - this is a bodybuilding forum and has little to do with computer touching.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the previous is, unfortunately, a very good illustration of the poor coping skills yosposters have regarding depression/anxiety

even if you do only seek the input of others in the technology field, i would suggest somewhere other than yospos at the least

ideally you should seek counseling from a trained therapist, but hopefully you can at least engage in a more positive and life-affirming environment than yospos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

it tracks with stress basically 1:1.

I spent 6 months last year with nightly intolerable existential horror nightmares. i don't want to go back to those.

haven't seen a doctor, im more able to see one now than I was the last few years i guess

download the waking up or course and let sam harris soothe your deformed mind

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

echinopsis posted:

download the waking up or course and let sam harris soothe your deformed mind

careful friend, mentioning sam harris on these forums is fraught with danger

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if we shouldnt go to yospos for advice, how can we trust your recommendation? you're in here the same as anybody else, maybe your advice is flawed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just Do Labor and it'll all be better tbh

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i hope this has been enough illustration as to why yospos is entirely too negative and not a good resource for improving mental health

please seek the advice of a medical professional

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

careful friend, mentioning sam harris on these forums is fraught with danger

he's not perfect but he's brought a huge amount of greatness into my life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not surprised that stymie wants to gatekeep mental health assistance to only those who can afford professional care, and lock out those who might just need some community and empathy from their peers at no charge

his posts have a very "how much could a therapist cost, like ten dollars?" upper crust vibe to them, which furthers my theory that he's actually a very wealthy agent provocateur posing as a working class populist

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i don't think it's unreasonable to warn someone who is clearly having significant difficulties away from a community who largely copes with similar issues with substance abuse and nihilism

also it's pretty mendacious to assert that trained counseling must necessarily require expense as there are many community groups that strive to provide care regardless of income

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't think it's unreasonable for the admins to ban you but here we are

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ah, so tight-knit online communities with years of history of dealing with loss and grief are illegitimate sources of help, but some random "community group" with which you have no history or connection with is suddenly the superior choice, despite the fact that they're unvetted, often faith-based (very damaging to many people) and quite simply, need to prioritize cost minimization over providing effective care due to their nature

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
again, given that yospos has a large contingent of people who are substance abusers, have no intention to end said abuse, and actively deride any attempts to encourage ending their abuse i think it's not the optimal solution for someone who needs assistance

i understand that having a large community with shared interests is important and can help with personal issues, but when that community is largely very self-destructive and prone to approving of substance abuse then perhaps a third party that may not have as many direct connections would be a better alternative

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
after delving into meditation I now strongly believe that our minds are things to protect. it’s now clear to me why, for example, kids shouldn’t watch r rated movies. even as adults, exposing yourself to “bad” things isn’t a positive thing. it’s difficult to experience something bad and view it objectively without it affecting you. our brain changes, by definition, to learn something. that thing you saw a minute ago that you remember? your neurons have grown or changed or whatever to remember that

now given this, we know for example that when people experience trauma or abuse, that reliving those thoughts or memories is actually negative. the idea of bottling up feelings being bad is one that is related to reliving negative emotions but not dealing or releasing them. if you’re actually managing to avoid reliving those thoughts or memories, then that is a good thing. your mind is created from that which you pay attention to, and if something isn’t paid attention to, as far as pathways in the mind go, it will not grow

so this said, it’s entirely possible that using alcohol to block negative thoughts may actually have some kind of psychological benefit .... the side effects of taking the drug may or may not be worth it, and may lead to its own psychological problems, but it is possibly protective against the trauma it’s being used to avoid

I think. lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm not surprised that stymie wants to gatekeep mental health assistance to only those who can afford professional care, and lock out those who might just need some community and empathy from their peers at no charge

his posts have a very "how much could a therapist cost, like ten dollars?" upper crust vibe to them, which furthers my theory that he's actually a very wealthy agent provocateur posing as a working class populist

lol we all know stymie is a fraud and shaggar runs mac os at home.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

extremely bad advice removed

please, please, please do not recommend self-medication to someone having recurrent and frequent negative thought patterns, this is extremely harmful and i cannot stress this enough

all the ha ha fun times aside, methanar, please seek out counseling from a physician or therapist or someone who is trained in the field and not from some random message board idiots (myself included and especially)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I self medicate with mediation and healthy life decisions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh and single barrel sam harris

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
okay because i also actually care about this conversation enough to chime in again

there is legitimacy in saying that sometimes the disgruntled computer touchers' local #46290 can lean on black humor and, yep, substances past a point of usefulness. if nothing else, even if that sounds too forceful, it's at least worth keeping in mind as a counterpoint. that said, lordy i do like those rough chuckles myself much of the time.

personally i was having a rough night of being too socially overstimulated, had the strong urge to go grab a drink on my way home, and settled on realizing that i'll be in worse shape to deal with these kinds of feelings tomorrow if i stretch out the 'welp guess i'd better try to blot this out' impulse. it's not every time, but it is really, really good to have a voice back there asking yourself seriously whether or not some behavior is /actually/ useful towards the goal of, like, feeling better.

i also absolutely feel that this 'industry' and/or interest group suffers from a weird despair that manifests in all kinds of ways and that, despite often providing folks with the means, can also provide enough enablement to discourage addressing mental health when it's most timely (and part of that for sure comes from folks getting into self-medicating routines- regardless of actual utility, there is a perceived utility, which is why folks do it in the first place. no judgment, it's just a shame that it's usually by far perceived as the most convenient option- probably as a result of us culturally not having been prepped with many others.)

also when it comes to DIY mental health stuff, folks may find jon kabat zinn's books useful. pretty nice no-bullshit buddhism-flavored CBT. no, not that CBT, the other one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what "substances" are you idiots going on about. are you like freaking about about pot or what

none of us are cool or brave enough to find opiates or lsd

so it has to be weed

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
idiot chiming in, not trying to demonize anything nor freaking out, pretty sure most of us mean weed and alcohol

and recreational toadlicking every leap day

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

what "substances" are you idiots going on about. are you like freaking about about pot or what

none of us are cool or brave enough to find opiates or lsd

so it has to be weed

its stymie, so he means "any amount of alcohol at all"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tori the alcoholic does not represent us and most of us dislike him a great deal.

unpasteurized milk is illegal in 2019 and weed is legal. you wanna get upset over yospos vices, start clucking about jerry's milk addiction

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

tori the alcoholic does not represent us and most of us dislike him a great deal.

unpasteurized milk is illegal in 2019 and weed is legal. you wanna get upset over yospos vices, start clucking about jerry's milk addiction

it's really sad to see someone get so hosed up on milk that they end up buying huge quantities of it and forget that it's been rotting under the bed for weeks

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i don't think folks are so much concerned about 'vices' themselves as with how super prevalent/accepted some are as a matter of course

tbh i'm kinda dismayed that, now that i'm working in an office again, everybody chugs red bull and other stimulant-laden stuff all day long- and the employer loves making it available because it benefits them. thanks but i'll walk a few blocks and get some coffee and interact with bean-touchers instead.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
also what the hell is this about milk addiction

i like milk and have even done 'milk cuppings' to find The Best Milk but wow

here have an outdoor milk photo to fit with the thread theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh gee are y'all reading stymie's posts as if they're made in good faith again