Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Its Coke posted:

This recipe scares but also intrigues me. Especially the cream cheese. Will that actually work? https://thestayathomechef.com/garlic-mashed-potatoes/
Cream cheese mashed potatoes aren't my thing and their food photos are pretty terrible, but that's a fairly standard approach to mashed potatoes. If anything that recipe is a little on the timid side, because usually once you decide to add cream cheese at all you're going for more of a pomme purée kind of thing and so you see a much higher ratio of dairy to potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wouldn't a steak house just use the traditional metric shitton of butter

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Someone gave me a bushel of red delicious apples. Ive been eating them out of hand bit they’re just so....meh and it’s a bushel of them. Any recipe ideas for things to do with a bushel of apples that taste like nothing? I’ve been thinking I could get some unfiltered apple juice/cider that does taste like apples and use that with the apples to make applesauce? Or maybe just bland applesauce by themselves?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Someone gave me a bushel of red delicious apples. Ive been eating them out of hand bit they’re just so....meh and it’s a bushel of them. Any recipe ideas for things to do with a bushel of apples that taste like nothing? I’ve been thinking I could get some unfiltered apple juice/cider that does taste like apples and use that with the apples to make applesauce? Or maybe just bland applesauce by themselves?

Apple butter maybe?

Many recipes floating out there, just basic fall spices and cooking them down forever.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

compost

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Wouldn't a steak house just use the traditional metric shitton of butter
It's probably a copycat recipe for what they serve at Sizzler or Golden Corral or some drat place like that where menu items that only contain a shitton of butter are what they call the healthy choice.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My go-to for apples is to cube them up in a bowl, put some frozen berries on top, microwave for 30 seconds. Add a heaping tablespoon of peanutbutter, stir well. Tada, fruit bowl. Top with some nutmeg and cinnamon for fall flavor deliciousness.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Find a yokel who doesn't know any better and swindle him out of his good apples by trading for your slophouse garbage, imo

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
I think the red delicious is the only fruit that pisses me off
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/the-evil-reign-of-the-red-delicious/379892/

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pie Rating (1–10): 1

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Apple syrup. Puree, add some apple-pie-like spice and reduce it down to a honey consistency.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Thanking you later.

Made a simple pasta with preserved lemons and parmesan, was great. What a useful thing to have in the pantry!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

It’s as anger worthy as the Russet Burbank.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Thanking you later.

Made a simple pasta with preserved lemons and parmesan, was great. What a useful thing to have in the pantry!

:hellyeah: Good for you!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I tried a fruit brandy made entirely from whole red delicious apples. Probably the only way I've enjoyed them. Was a great fruit brandy, turns out the seeds make it a bit spicy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
And cyanidey.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The cyanide in apple seeds is volatile at room temp and would be destroyed by hydrolysis as you heat it up to begin distilling. All the commercial (pasteurized) apple juices you see in store are made from the whole fruit, including stems and seeds.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If anyone was curious, pickled eggs in kimchi juice turned out delicious. Took on a cool red color and turned out perfectly funky and tangy with a bit of heat.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Hi.
How to make sweet potato hash brown?
I always gently caress it up

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

vuk83 posted:

Hi.
How to make sweet potato hash brown?
I always gently caress it up

How are they hosed up?
I've never done it with sweet potatoes specifically, but here's the method I use for regular potato hash browns, which I expect should work:

1) Optionally peel your sweet potato
2) Grate your sweet potato
3) Put your grated sweet potato in a kitchen towel and wring as much water out of it as you can
4) Heat butter in a pan on medium heat. Test for proper heat by dropping in a piece of the potato. If it sizzles lightly, you're ready.
5) You can form the pieces into a loose patty or mix in a beaten egg to bind them, or leave them loose and fry them. Keep an eye on them and stir/toss//flip as necessary. Take them out when they're the desired brownness/doneness.
5) Remove to a towel to drain and season with salt, pepper, hot sauce, whatever.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

coolanimedad posted:

Brown Turkey is the worst one - still good because figs are the best but not what you’d want. Green/white cultivars are fantastic and the very best is Mission. I don’t know how to explain the differences. If you’re going to grow them, Mission is the best pick - Kadota is also a strong option.

I made Muhammara this week with my cultured vegan sunflower seed cheese and it was beyond fantastic.

SubG posted:

They're sweet. You appear to like very, very sweet figs. Which is cool, but not everybody wants a fig to be a sugar bomb. Black mission and white figs are good if you want figs for desert, making syrup, and that kind of thing. Black figs tend to keep well, produce a decent main crop (the figs produced late in the season by that year's new growth), but the breba crop (the figs produced early in the season on the previous years' growth) is often weak and less flavourful than the main crop. If you really want a super sweet fig, though, you probably want a Celeste, a.k.a. the sugar fig, or one of the other newish, nursery-grown cultivars.

Brown Turkeys are milder, and work better in salads and savory contexts. They're popular as a garden fig because they're hardy as gently caress, produce consistently and like crazy, and the figs keep well. If you're living in zone 8a you can grown pretty much any kind of fig you want, but in a lot of places Brown Turkeys are the only option.

Calimyrna figs are earthier/nuttier than any of the other varieties discussed so far, and like brown Turkeys you find them served with cheese, charcuterie, and that kind of thing.

Green figs like the kadota are another option. They're one of the oldest cultivars that's still around. They're mild and super common, though, so I don't think they're a particularly popular choice for home gardening.

There are a whole shitload of other cultivars out there, but those are the ones that seem to show up the most in nurseries.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to remember to come back and check on this thread, but thanks to both of you. I'll have to see if I can get some examples from certain cultivars and see what I like. Looks like I'm in 7a, so I'm fairly flexible in what can grow here.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Does anyone have an absolute killer saag recipe? Making my own paneer looks super easy and I want to have a crack at a saag

Edit: are there any good alternatives to cheesecloth if I'm struggling to actually find one?

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 4, 2019

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

lilbeefer posted:

Does anyone have an absolute killer saag recipe? Making my own paneer looks super easy and I want to have a crack at a saag

Edit: are there any good alternatives to cheesecloth if I'm struggling to actually find one?

How could you be struggling to find a cheesecloth? They’re available everywhere. Grocery? Amazon? eBay?
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/sarson-ka-saag/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Reusab...deb28457f534493

Hauki
May 11, 2010

lilbeefer posted:

literally like any and every grocery store I’ve ever been to in America carries cheesecloth

also like every target/walmart/whatever

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had trouble finding it at normal grocery stores in NYC. It's one of those things where you know you've seen it, but when you actually want to get it, it's nowhere

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

lilbeefer posted:

Making paneer is so, so easy and it'll be better than any you've had before. I can't tell you the best saag paneer recipe (assuming that's what you meant!) but Veg Recipes of India is always a good place to look.

Use the whey that drains from your cheese to cook your rice. It's delightful.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I've got some garlic fermenting in honey in a mason jar that I've been burping once or twice a day for the last two weeks. I'm heading out of town for the next 4 days. Should I throw these in the fridge to slow down fermentation while I'm gone or will the mason jar survive the extra few days without attention?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Whoa whoa whoa don’t buy cheesecloth from the grocery that stuff is so loose threaded it might as well be gauze

Get this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/Butter-Muslin-2-sq-yards/dp/B004QISGIA/

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Bollock Monkey posted:

Use the whey that drains from your cheese to cook your rice. It's delightful.

can you expand on this? how / what does this add

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I buy my cheesecloth on Amazon, it’s otherwise quite hard to get hold of where I live

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
How would you make fritters from mashed potatoes, peas and diced beef? Would you just mix it with an egg and then fry it in dollops?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Its Coke posted:

How would you make fritters from mashed potatoes, peas and diced beef? Would you just mix it with an egg and then fry it in dollops?
That would work, but I'd add some onions to the filling and roll it in some breadcrumbs or panko before frying, and call it a croquette instead of a fritter.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

lilbeefer posted:

Clean t shirt

THS posted:

can you expand on this? how / what does this add

Well it's gonna be saltier and tangy-er than plain water

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

lilbeefer posted:

A clean white tee shirt works in a pinch! You’ll want to first rinse the hell out of it in hot water to make sure you don’t get any laundry soap or softener flavors. It doesn’t actually have to be white, you’re not going to pull the dye, but depending on what exactly you’re straining the shirt is going to be toast afterwards.

If you have thin bar towels or non-terry dishcloth, that can work too- again, start clean and rinsed very well.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
What's a good brand for non-seasoned rice vinegar? I just moved and don't have access to the same international market I did before.

I see Marukan on Amazon, any arguments against it?

I don't have any at the moment and don't run through it particularly fast so I thought I'd ask for thoughts before buying it.

Comic fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 5, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Is there a bacteria that’s best for making cultured butter?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any recommendations for simple puff pastry pies I can make alongside my own chicken and mushroom pie? Girlfriend doesn't like mushrooms so I was going to make a medium chicken and mushroom pie for myself, and then something different for her to enjoy (and me too). Just can't think of anything radically different from chicken and mushroom, yet still close enough to be easy to make alongside it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Spinach and feta is pretty tasty.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steak and kidney! King of pies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a good gin drink that would go with paella or etouffee

I wanna make paella or etouffee and I also want to get rid of 1.5 L of gin