Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone ever won a high profile or otherwise really good match with Jericho's "foot on chest, flex for the camera" pin or one similar? It's always just such a heel move and surely someone has done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has anyone ever won a high profile or otherwise really good match with Jericho's "foot on chest, flex for the camera" pin or one similar? It's always just such a heel move and surely someone has done it.

Warrior after excessively murdering Randy Savage at WrestleMania 7.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I seem to recall Billy Gunn as being... somewhat decent in-ring by Attitude Era standards. Was he up there with the likes of Val Venis in competing for the questionable title of "best wrestler in the WWF not named Taka Michinoku"?

Val Venis at least had the benefit of being an AJPW mark and doing all their moves, that alone put him ahead of most people in the Attitude Era

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's strange to me how the three choices to move up to the main event in summer '99 were Billy Gunn, HHH and Jeff Jarrett. What if JJ never left WWF? Was he savvy enough to steal away that main event spot from Hunner?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Whoever wins, we lose.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
JR wasn't big on Jarrett, right? JJ and Russo made endless references to it in WCW. I can't imagine he would've been a huge deal in the WWF without Russo having his back (thank God).

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Road Dogg is a “good promo” in the same way Enzo is. They got a specific series of catchphrases over but never really deviated from them.

Compare that with someone like The Rock who would still hit most of his catchphrases for the singalong pop but could still improvise and change the rest of his promos to be different for different situations and rivals.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

It's strange to me how the three choices to move up to the main event in summer '99 were Billy Gunn, HHH and Jeff Jarrett. What if JJ never left WWF? Was he savvy enough to steal away that main event spot from Hunner?

He wasn't going to move up because Austin didn't want to work with him and HHH had been the chosen guy for over a year. WWF thought HHH came off like the main eventer in the Summerslam 98 ladder match.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Khali winning a title with the one foot/arm raise I think

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Billy Gunn was far from the worst in the ring during the Attitude Era but he was absolutely not good enough to make up for everything he was missing, especially once Angle, Jericho, and the Radicalz showed up and kind of shone a light on just how poor the actual wrestling in the midcard was up until then.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think Billy Gunn was good enough that you could have genuinely made him into a credible uppercard/low main event player, but many a wrestler's potential has been squandered by a couple of bad gimmicks or feuds, and in Billy's case he
  • Was part of a fake cowboy tag team well into the mid-90s which mostly lost feuds
  • Was paired with the Honky Tonk Man as his less interesting rockabilly protege, a gimmick that ended in openly noting how worthless it was
  • Was the less-liked half of a tag team that got absorbed into being the least important part of a five-person stable
  • Was Mr. rear end, whose gimmick was that he both enjoyed and possessed rear end, which was primarily marked by getting completely humiliated by The Rock
  • Was The One, which was just Mr. rear end but with the rear end part filed off, which absolutely no one cared about
  • Was part of a fake gay relationship that caused an actual media incident and also ended in his getting his rear end kicked
  • Was in a succession of TNA gimmicks that were basically all just parodies of his WWE gimmicks
He was never great, and being in your competitive prime in a WWE with Steve Austin, The Rock, Mick Foley, Triple H, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker and Kurt Angle is a nigh-unto impossible ceiling to break, but he also essentially never had a gimmick that didn't sabotage him as a singles competitor and outside of tag teams he lost basically every major feud he was in. Dude got railroaded pretty hard.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Billy sucked bad

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Raid WCW and start the Scott Steiner megapush :colbert:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

here's another Attitude Era question, how much control did wrestlers have over who they feuded with and for how long, so I can determine how much of X-Pac's fault it is that he kept getting into feuds that lasted for way too long

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Billy Gunn makes 1000% more sense when you realize he had crippling asthma. As soon as the pace picked up in any match he would drown on dry land.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Explosions posted:

Billy Gunn makes 1000% more sense when you realize he had crippling assthma. As soon as the pace picked up in any match he would drown on dry land.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

CarlCX posted:

[Billy Gunn] was never great, and being in your competitive prime in a WWE with Steve Austin, The Rock, Mick Foley, Triple H, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker and Kurt Angle is a nigh-unto impossible ceiling to break, but he also essentially never had a gimmick that didn't sabotage him as a singles competitor and outside of tag teams he lost basically every major feud he was in. Dude got railroaded pretty hard.

He did get handed a bunch of bad gimmicks, and that one Rock promo definitely hurt his career (I don't think Rock was trying to do anything like that and I don't blame him, he just cut one of the most savage promos of all time one day and Billy G happened to be the tragic victim of it). But he was Intercontinental Champion, an 11-time Tag Team champ, and won the King of the Ring, and he was at times over as both a face and a heel. I wouldn't say he got "railroaded" or had a bad career. He was a solid midcarder who briefly got pushed over his head, but he did fine. I don't think he ever had the charisma or promo skills to be more than that though. gently caress, I can't even remember a specific Billy Gunn promo off the top of my head where he wasn't just shouting his one line after Road Dogg gave him the stick. He never really had any big standout skill, and I can't imagine him having a successful world title run or anything like that.

EDIT: Also, had no idea about the asthma. Certainly explains why he was best in tag matches.

rujasu fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 3, 2019

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Thank you. I'm sorry.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rujasu posted:

He did get handed a bunch of bad gimmicks, and that one Rock promo definitely hurt his career (I don't think Rock was trying to do anything like that and I don't blame him, he just cut one of the most savage promos of all time one day and Billy G happened to be the tragic victim of it). But he was Intercontinental Champion, an 11-time Tag Team champ, and won the King of the Ring, and he was at times over as both a face and a heel. I wouldn't say he got "railroaded" or had a bad career. He was a solid midcarder who briefly got pushed over his head, but he did fine. I don't think he ever had the charisma or promo skills to be more than that though. gently caress, I can't even remember a specific Billy Gunn promo off the top of my head where he wasn't just shouting his one line after Road Dogg gave him the stick. He never really had any big standout skill, and I can't imagine him having a successful world title run or anything like that.

Which is fine, as far as I'm concerned. Everybody eventually getting a run with the title is terrible booking, and wrestling needs midcarders.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The one hardcore thing that I always wonder about is the barbed wire. Is it usually gimmicked at all? Or do you not need to worry about tetanus if it's been kept clean? Or do they just get shots afterwards?

My promotion only had like 2 barbwire boards of plywood and were instructed not to break them. We had battle royals where multiple ppl bumped n bled on them. I never heard of anyone ever getting a blood test or getting a tetanus shot.

Hell when I was asked to blade the only advice I was given is "don't go too deep" and "you may have to gig twice" to get it goin. Then some guy gave me 4 aspirins and a buncha water, told me "take those right before you go on and you will bleed like a stuck pig"

Also Billy Gun sucked

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Explosions posted:

Billy Gunn makes 1000% more sense when you realize he had crippling asthma. As soon as the pace picked up in any match he would drown on dry land.

He wasn't saying that he was an rear end Man, he was saying he was an Asthmatic?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rujasu posted:

and that one Rock promo definitely hurt his career (I don't think Rock was trying to do anything like that and I don't blame him, he just cut one of the most savage promos of all time one day and Billy G happened to be the tragic victim of it).
That one was bad, but Edge saying he wouldn't "Billy Gunn" his King of the Ring title was the final nail in the coffin.

Nobody remembers The One Billy Gunn with his gold trunks and Billy and Chuck is only a footnote in history because they god a GLAAD award for having a gay tag team and then subsequently revealed they were only pretending to be gay for attention.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
has anyone ever been hit with a serious liver shot while taking shoot kicks? i see a lot of kicks like dangerously close to the liver and i'm really surprised I've never heard about it happening. even if it's a worked kick, they can still be stiff and it takes less force than you would think.

it's not really something you can just power through either, everyone would know

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there was a tag team match where madison eagles went down after taking a reverse spin kick and vomited under the ring apron but thats the only example i can think of

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

davidbix posted:

It's like when CZW did the angle where Zandig was strung up on meathooks. It got an astonishingly stupid amount of online backlash—more than any actually dangerous CZW spots had—even though it was part of the angle that Whacks (the piercing expert who did other work for them) was "forced" by the heels into doing it. That stunt was completely safe.

I didn't like the spot G-Raver got hurt on, or his close call seconds earlier, or even using glass in general (not to mention the tubes given the mercury dust), but there's clearly a method to the madness of a LOT of the common death match spots, with the big mishaps coming with big bumps or spots where the wrestlers sacrificed too much control of the props.

I thought the main issue with that spot was that it took forever and the crowd weren’t into it at all?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

I thought the main issue with that spot was that it took forever and the crowd weren’t into it at all?

the crowd was going nuts for the entirity of that match.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I think he was talking about the Zandig match, not the GCW ladder match. The ladder match did rock, though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just meant the zandig meathooks part

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hirez posted:

Khali winning a title with the one foot/arm raise I think

Worse; he beat squashed Champion Rey Mysterio in a non title match.

(He won the title in a battle royal)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LividLiquid posted:

Nobody remembers The One Billy Gunn with his gold trunks and Billy and Chuck is only a footnote in history because they god a GLAAD award for having a gay tag team and then subsequently revealed they were only pretending to be gay for attention.

I will always remember the segment where they revealed it was a stunt and Billy said "If I was gay, Chuck, I'd probably marry you." And the crowd cheered. It was a surreal moment.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiance Industries posted:

I will always remember the segment where they revealed it was a stunt and Billy said "If I was gay, Chuck, I'd probably marry you." And the crowd cheered. It was a surreal moment.

I admit, that storyline did get me at one point.

"Did I just say three minutes?"

I was probably the only person who didn't realize it was Easy E

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

LividLiquid posted:

I remember The One Billy Gunn!

He had to change his name because he lost the rights to use Mr. rear end in a feud with the Right to Censor!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Kodo Fuyuki (who Jericho attributes stealing the move from) won some squashes in FMW with that.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

rujasu posted:

EDIT: Also, had no idea about the asthma. Certainly explains why he was best in tag matches.

That's kind of what I mean, though: It's not that he didn't get singles pushes, it's that his singles pushes were undercut. He won KOTR, but he only won it because Shamrock and Kane got taken out by other people, and after winning he got demoted to being the third wheel in a group feud over the loving legal rights to D-X, which he also lost, which is what then led to the feud with The Rock that straight-up murdered him. He won the IC belt only to then lose it in 19 days and go right back to the RTC feud, randomly jobbing and then being part of a fake gay angle that also ended in his getting humiliated on TV followed immediately by getting the poo poo beat out of him.

I'm not saying Billy Gunn was a great singles talent they missed out on or anything, you're absolutely right that he was, like, Profoundly Okay By 1999 Standards at best and would have drowned if they actually put him in the main event. I'm saying the WWE, when it wants to, can take similarly mediocre talents like JBL and put sustained thrust behind them in an attempt to make them credible upper-card talent anyway, and for whatever reason, they kept half-attempting that with Gunn only to change their minds and make him immediately eat poo poo, and that's how you kill a talent with the audience no matter how good or bad they are.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's a really good point and made me realize that Billy Gunn was basically the prototype for PG era WWE booking.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It blows my mind that they were commended (and supported?) by GLAAD for the Billy and Chuck angle. I was twelve years old at the time, and even I could see how shallow and potentially hurtful it was. They were bad because they were gay, and when they weren't gay they were explicitly just doing it for attention. Easy E even foreshadowed it!

That said, "Did I just say... three minutes???" is a great reveal that in my nostalgic mind almost rivals THAT'S NOT CICLOPE.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Dacap posted:

Road Dogg is a “good promo” in the same way Enzo is. They got a specific series of catchphrases over but never really deviated from them.

Compare that with someone like The Rock who would still hit most of his catchphrases for the singalong pop but could still improvise and change the rest of his promos to be different for different situations and rivals.

Enzo used to say a lot of different things in NXT, and then he stuck with the one promo in WWE proper. It was nothing like the Road Dogg who said exactly the same thing for years. Enzo was a lovely wrestler and probably person, but he could talk like a motherfucker.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
enzo promos were some of the worst in WWE. just random generic, impersonal insults and nonsense that has nothing to do with the storyline. he never actually added to any storyline, or got his opponent over, or had any purpose whatsoever for what he was saying. It's like someone trying to imitate the Rock if all they've ever seen is a "THE ROCK'S MOST SAVAGE MOMENTS" video on youtube.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

enzo didn't cut promos, he did singalongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there isn't anything wrong with singalongs though. crowd engagement is good and helps them like you.