Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Or just roll some d10s against a set of tables to generate the world you're setting your story in. Foolproof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Does Klingonese break the UT then since a lot of it goes untranslated most of the time?

Nothing about the universal translator makes any sense ever.

One of the stock lines that was always weird to me was when Picard ordered somebody to transmit something on all frequencies in all known languages, and all I can imagine what that would be like is this explosion of unintelligable junk noise.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nothing about the universal translator makes any sense ever.

One of the stock lines that was always weird to me was when Picard ordered somebody to transmit something on all frequencies in all known languages, and all I can imagine what that would be like is this explosion of unintelligable junk noise.

I doubt it was an analog transmission. They're counting on the recipients computer to sorry it all out.

https://youtu.be/Wbr3SU0pmqc

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In retrospect, that might be why the space whale communication signal was boiling earth.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

odo concept art by Ricardo Delgado

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's almost as if First Contact isn't a very good movie #generationsisthebesttngmovieanditsdownhillfromthere.

Pretty much all the TNG movies are varying degrees of bad, but First Contact is the most watchable, requiring you to pay real attention while it's on to figure out why it sucks.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I love the Power Glove, Quark, it's so bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Astroman posted:

Just because the Lone Genius archetype is Unfair to those who can only achieve on teams, doesn't mean those people don't actually exist. They aren't the only ones who change history or develop science, but they aren't some myth either. It's sort of a plot point of the movie. If Earth's first contact were the result of a team of 500 scientists, mathematicians, engineers, technicians, manufacturers, and janitors on a massive project at some NASA installation, the Borg wouldn't have been able to surgically change history--imagine trying to kill one guy to stop the US from developing the atomic bomb or the Russians from putting a man in space. It would have just happened anyway.

It was because Cochrane was so instrumental in driving this project with a theory he invented that the Borg could do what they tried to do.

So you're saying that Cochrane's weird impossible contradictory existence makes sense because the borg need it to, well that's not even true either, you can just nuke the whole town. Most the borg managed to do was knock a stuntman off his bike.

Lone Geniuses who invent big revolutionary things don't really exist, and never have, they're a myth invented by self promoting people. The famous classical example is Leonardo, who was literally just a painter who thought of himself as an ideas guy, and got no further than that, because the other thousands of people who he'd need to actually implement any of his ideas hadn't been born yet. You get more into the modern era and you meet Edison and Musk, two very stupid camera hogging people who take the credit for large teams of people working under them. Even if you look at a Pair of Geniuses like the Wright brothers, all you find is they just attached an (admittedly rather bespoke) engine to a winged glider, itself a fifty year old invention at the time. If there's ever an award for Most Fictional Character then Tony Stark will win it every year.

I'll say if he did go get to be a doctor before the war then it's pulled out the writers rear end, and just another thing on the pile that doesn't make sense about his characterization. I can't see it at all.

8one6 posted:

We do that poo poo with Earth stuff all the time, like Corinthian leather, Turkish coffee, Australian rules football...

Always thought it was bold of Chrysler to import leather from ancient greece

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I bet there's a really good Star Trek episode in deconstructing the great man theory of history

Too bad we'll probably never get it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tighclops posted:

I bet there's a really good Star Trek episode in deconstructing the great man theory of history

Too bad we'll probably never get it

“Requiem for Methuselah”. all Great Men are the same guy, who is also a creepy Prospero-figure who can’t abide human society and whose final life goal was to create a beautiful but emotionally incompetent younger woman for himself to bang.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress you're right, this show really does have all the answers doesn't it

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: sorry double post

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I wish there more episodes with Vic Fontaine, I would absolutely watch a season of just nothing but the Star trek crew getting into shenanigans with that guy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pixeltendo posted:

I wish there more episodes with Vic Fontaine, I would absolutely watch a season of just nothing but the Star trek crew getting into shenanigans with that guy.

I hated him and hated his episodes for not being starship battles when it first aired and I was dumber.

Now he's one of my favorite parts of the show and his episodes are generally much needed breaks from (and commentary on) the pew pew

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I didn't mind Vic. But like several other things in DS9, I thought they milked it a bit too much; especially near the end. The Nog PTSD episode, though, was well written and one of Vic's finest hours.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

This reminds me of a character from the New Frontier books. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

skasion posted:

“Requiem for Methuselah”. all Great Men are the same guy, who is also a creepy Prospero-figure who can’t abide human society and whose final life goal was to create a beautiful but emotionally incompetent younger woman for himself to bang.

Lol I'm just after watching that episode and I couldn't get over how creepy Kirk was acting in that episode too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Vic Fontaine is a pretty good example of what DS9 is all about vs. other Treks, for better or worse. TNG laid the groundwork for the idea and if they had gone all the way with it, it probably would've been approached very differently, exploring the moral and scientific ramifications of such a life form. Voyager tried to go all the way with the idea, but was ultimately ill-equipped to do so. DS9 threw it in because they felt like it, and mostly shrugged off all the sciency questions it raises in favor of just focusing on how the characters interacted with the hologram.

DS9's approach works for the show it is, but I admit it isn't very Trekky.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

Vic Fontaine is a pretty good example of what DS9 is all about vs. other Treks, for better or worse. TNG laid the groundwork for the idea and if they had gone all the way with it, it probably would've been approached very differently, exploring the moral and scientific ramifications of such a life form. Voyager tried to go all the way with the idea, but was ultimately ill-equipped to do so. DS9 threw it in because they felt like it, and mostly shrugged off all the sciency questions it raises in favor of just focusing on how the characters interacted with the hologram.

DS9's approach works for the show it is, but I admit it isn't very Trekky.

But the science answers would have been made up for the episode bullshit and probably retconned something else anyway, who needs it? Vick mystifying O'Brien and Big is pretty great.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pretty rude autocorrect of "Nog," imo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

Pretty rude autocorrect of "Nog," imo.

LMAO I guess that's what it is. I typed it out by hand but I have an overzealous autocorrect

New phone. Who dis? N O G

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Big Nog Energy

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
E G G N O G

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Big Nog tryna get a leg prostheezy

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of that's because of the big scope. If you jump out to a big interstellar galactic scale, writers aren't going to have the patience for figuring out multi-state planets or diversity within species. "Smaller" scale stories that take place all over a single planet have more freedom to branch out into more realistically sized states, but for some reason when writers have the freedom to jump between planets, they just can't stop. It makes sense for places that are just a single outpost on a planet, but not for a supposedly globe-spanning society..
There was one episode of TNG where they do encounter what is essentially a nation that wishes to join the Federation while the rest of the planet is a bunch of shitheads. The twist is that turns out that everyone is shitheads on the planet.

But anyway, the implication is that planetary unity just seems to be a predictable feature of space faring societies, specifically one that are in the Federation. And I kind of buy it. Either you have an extremely imperialistic society like the Klingons or just a very peaceful society like the Vulcans, but regardless, it's pretty predictable that your people have to in some way come together if you're going to get over the initial hump of actually building a warp drive.

I think the lack of exploration of species living in Klingon and Romulan Space is a bit weird though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have had Nog roll up his leg sleeve and it's clearly a human leg: "This was the only one they had in my size!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They should have had Nog roll up his leg sleeve and it's clearly a human leg: "This was the only one they had in my size!"

Running gag where he keeps turning up with a different leg.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pick posted:

Thodos.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

But anyway, the implication is that planetary unity just seems to be a predictable feature of space faring societies, specifically one that are in the Federation. And I kind of buy it. Either you have an extremely imperialistic society like the Klingons or just a very peaceful society like the Vulcans, but regardless, it's pretty predictable that your people have to in some way come together if you're going to get over the initial hump of actually building a warp drive.

The implication from Trek definitely seems to be that the reason we don't see multinational planets in Trek is because any species with space faring technology that are that inept at getting along with each other will inevitably destroy themselves.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sash! posted:

Running gag where he keeps turning up with a different leg.

Vic keeps cutting them off and hiding them in the ceiling.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

The implication from Trek definitely seems to be that the reason we don't see multinational planets in Trek is because any species with space faring technology that are that inept at getting along with each other will inevitably destroy themselves.
Oh, so like the thing that's gonna' happen to us.

Cool. Cool.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'd like Klingons have set their translators not to translate their own language, and to interfere with others.
The whole point of the universal translator is that everyone is ALWAYS speaking their own language, all the time.
If Trek leaned a little more into the fantasy part of Science Fantasy it'd work perfectly. Some parts of Trek already do that (warp works by making a warp bubble, it is dangerous and explosive; Literally Everything About The Prophets, Betazoid superpowers) and others don't so much; and unfortunately for the single most important plot device, the universal translator has a purely science explanation. It takes what you're saying and translates it to the language of the recipient through computers. Unfortunately, depending on the room, that could be at least 8 or 9 different languages, and as any bilingual person will tell you, that is not at ALL how language works. Nobody would get the same context, and definitely not from a machine doing it.
Not to mention the Klingon thing. "I am experiencing Ni'POH. The feeling that I have done this before" "Yeah we have that too but we call it deja vu." There's no real reason that the computer wouldn't just translate "Ni'poh" unless it knows not to do so ahead of time.
The universal translator just needs to be partially telepathic, like the Doctor Who explanation. Unfortunately it's just "oh yeah google translate got really good dont worry about it" but people like me WILL worry about it because there's no fantasy explanation to make us switch off the nitpick neurons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The universal translator being unexplained is probably a good choice, but I believe in TOS it actually was described as basically telepathic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Disco has an ep where the UT goes nuts and it's kinda fun. Still doesn't make sense.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The universal translator is obviously context sensitive. If Picard is talking to someone in English* and drops a 'Qapla'' in the middle of it the UT is going to leave it as is. Or if someone is talking about cooking and drops in a huevos rancheros, the UT isn't going to spit out "ranch eggs".

*During the Eugenics Wars, while Kahn was busy with Asia an extremely British augment took over Europe and eliminated French as anything but an accent and academic relic like Latin.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

curiousTerminal posted:

The whole point of the universal translator is that everyone is ALWAYS speaking their own language, all the time.

I sometimes wish a show would go all-in on this premise and have almost everyone ADR themselves over obviously different spoken dialog.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The UT gets even crazier when you consider how it deals with music and poetry.

The best thing is to just fall back to the "How does it work? It works very well" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I sometimes wish a show would go all-in on this premise and have almost everyone ADR themselves over obviously different spoken dialog.

One of the cool things about Beyond was how the lapel-mounted UTs would output "English" in response to the speaker's native tongue, which you could hear/see lip movements for "under" the UT vocalization.

Of course this was dropped 10 minutes in for legit plot reasons but there was more reasonable thought about that bit than the whole of Into Darkness.