Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pyroclastic posted:

We bought 175 Chromebooks (pictured are the older models that got moved elsewhere). We got 18 boxes of Chromebooks, 6 boxes of power cords, 7 boxes of power bricks, and 6 boxes of documentation. The latter three boxes are all about 12"x12"x5".

Big wad of paper to protect...paper

And of course it's just quick setup guides and a warranty sheet.

Are we still doing this poo poo? All that documentation could have fit in a padded envelope, or 3x3x3" cube box. Or they could have just not bothered with it since it all went into the mixed paper bin anyway.
Are the big vendors still sending out license codes in big server boxes filled with airpack?

Meraki still sends each power cord its own individual canvas bag. So on a big order you receive boxes of power cords in individually wrapped canvas bags. Bonus it's not recyclable!

Cisco, yeah if you forget to pick E-Delivery they'll give you a vinyl record case with a piece of paper holding the PAK code.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Is this when we quote Xzibit? Honestly I've seen far too many needless packaging but that's a whole new level.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

An HP SAN a few years ago got me a pallet delivery with a controller head, two expansions shelves and then a bunch of individually boxed HDDs

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Usually all these parts are pre-packed at a logistics partners storage facility, like UPS or Fedex. They will have a minimum required package size, and that is how you end up with a pallet of 200 individually packaged BIOS batteries. There might also be FCC or other government regulations that requires equipment to be shipped with paper documentation.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

So there's a few varieties of the TB3/USB-C Lenovo dock. The AC model number is a turd. The AN is a second gen and sucks less.

Apparently ours are AN, they still stuck though. Might be time to look at generic USB C docking stations...

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

An HP SAN a few years ago got me a pallet delivery with a controller head, two expansions shelves and then a bunch of individually boxed HDDs

Im firmly convinced HPE exists entirely to prop the cardboard industry up. I install a lot of aruba switching / wireless and every. single. component. is in its own packaging, with its own serial number, all the time.

On one hand its nice because all the devices are modular and you rarely wind up replacing an entire unit if anything goes wrong. On the other hand I need a dumpster for 5 switches worth of packaging.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Wibla posted:

Apparently ours are AN, they still stuck though. Might be time to look at generic USB C docking stations...

That's lame, sorry. Might do one more pass to make sure there's not a driver/BIOS update that could sort it out.

Sample size of 1, but I use a Belkin one at home and it's been 100% flawless so far.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You know, I’m going to guess that our onboarding people aren’t actually supposed to literally put “[your IP]” in the url field for customers.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

you know it's good when a windows server someone is logged in to with admin privileges has a 3rd party browser installed

By default IE and Edge are locked down so hard it's nearly impossible to install new non-Microsoft server applications. You can't even easily navigate a vendor site to figure out which page(s) to whitelist to get the patch files you need.

It may just be a SMB thing, but the only production servers I have ever come across that don't have either Chrome or Firefox installed are single task exchange or DC instances.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I thought I was getting trained in Agile this week. What I'm going to get is 3 days commandeered by our company's digital blue sky thinker while the hapless trainer tries to kludge elementary Agile techniques into his nightmare hybrid methodology. I did however manage to witness a fascinating sociological phenomenon, in which the collective confusion of a room full of people caused the ambient temperature to drop by 3 degrees centigrade.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

PremiumSupport posted:

By default IE and Edge are locked down so hard it's nearly impossible to install new non-Microsoft server applications. You can't even easily navigate a vendor site to figure out which page(s) to whitelist to get the patch files you need.

It may just be a SMB thing, but the only production servers I have ever come across that don't have either Chrome or Firefox installed are single task exchange or DC instances.

It's really simple to turn that stuff off temporarily, in the event that you do need to download something and cant copy it over from another machine.

But as you said, it's an SMB probably being managed by an MSP, so the former MSP employee in me says "they get what they pay for/who gives a poo poo" :clint:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Download the files on your workstation and copy them to a file share, don't browse poo poo on a server.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

Friends don't let friends browse the web on their servers.

e:

Thanks Ants posted:

Download the files on your workstation and copy them to a file share, don't browse poo poo on a server.

Or Invoke-WebRequest, or copy them to a goddamn flash drive. I don't care what you do, just don't open web browsers on your servers.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 3, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Here to quote the 3 posts above me. Forgot to hit quote.

Don't browse on your servers please.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

LMAO at using a web browser on a server being some sort of blanket 'thou shalt not' in the same thread we get a 'finally got permission to decommission those windows 2003 servers!' every 3 pages.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One of our web applications is hosted on an AWS instance and when I need to deploy a new version, I have to upload the WAR to OneDrive and download it on the server. I also had to download Firefox on that server because Edge's security settings simply refused to play along.

(It's a complete waste of money to host this application on AWS and I intend to bring it back in-house as soon as the sysadmins finish their ten projects with deadlines this month and drop back below twelve-hour workdays.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of poo poo that Microsoft develop that still relies on popping open a web browser to authenticate and won't install on Server Core (Azure Application Proxy :argh: - though I think they've made an improvement here) is annoying as gently caress. Like it's not even as though you have a load of legacy poo poo to deal with, this is a brand new service, do it right please.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bobua posted:

LMAO at using a web browser on a server being some sort of blanket 'thou shalt not' in the same thread we get a 'finally got permission to decommission those windows 2003 servers!' every 3 pages.

The ideal should always be strived for, no matter the curse that prevents us from achieving it.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

The Fool posted:

The ideal should always be strived for, no matter the curse that prevents us from achieving it.

Oh I don't disagree.

But come on, it's funny.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Fool posted:

e:

Or Invoke-WebRequest, or copy them to a goddamn flash drive. I don't care what you do, just don't open web browsers on your servers.

Or hell even curl/wget

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just lol if your server has a GUI at all.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Just lol if your server has a GUI at all.

Let me know when this changes.

I suppose it's my fault for being a windows admin, but still.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah the random stuff you can't install on server core is annoying.

Also the fact that I have to install GUI for everything anyway because no one else knows how to use RSAT properly, much less powershell; gently caress I'm bad at powershell too but at least I try.

I've 100% debated installing server core on clients and just did not want to deal with the bitching and complaining that would happen; part of the issue would be that a lot of clients have a single server so it would make some people's lives more difficult.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I mean, all of my servers are RHEL. :shrug:
It's amazing that Server Core still can't function properly without a GUI though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

All my rich-assed tenured faculty members babbling back and forth today about their Labor Day weekend excursions, which is well and good and expected, but I wish they'd just give up on ever asking me if I did anything interesting during vacation periods. I always can't really go anywhere nice because I have a break-even budget right now, which I am delicately but comfortably maintaining.

It's not being asked that bothers me so much, or having to say, quite regularly that I can't afford to go places, so we just have a nice staycation as per norm. I'm not embarrassed with my situation, and I've got the best prospects ever at improving things over the next year or two.

It's the reliability of every richy-rich-assed faculty member telling me I should consider getting help with my budget, it's just budgeting, have you considered putting yourself/family on a budget, that is putting me ever so close to grabbing the nearest keyboard and practicing some amateur dentistry on a motherfucker.

Richy rich assed fucks: stop telling poor people they just need to budget, gently caress sake.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Potato Salad posted:

you know it's good when a windows server someone is logged in to with admin privileges has a 3rd party browser installed

I have GPO on my network to install Chrome on everything. gently caress edge and gently caress Microsoft locking down their browsers so ridiculously tight that you need to click a confirmation a dozen times just to get the the welcome to IE browser page.

And yes, I RDP into my servers to do things locally. You can’t always efficiently cloud and sometime a guy just wants to click next-next-next-next-yes-OK

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My extremely wealthy Uncle told me a few months ago that it's just a disgrace that I'm not boosting my income by playing the stock market. 'All you need to get started is just $20-30k you don't mind losing.'

Yeah, sure lemme run that by Sallie Mae real quick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

5er posted:

Richy rich assed fucks: stop telling poor people they just need to budget, gently caress sake.

Post the mcdonald's example budget on your door.

rich people live in another reality, it's not even worth pretending to find a common ground with them.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
My favorite part of that is $20 health insurance.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Where's the candles line item??

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

tactlessbastard posted:

Where's the candles funkopop line item??

ftfy

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

ratbert90 posted:

I mean, all of my servers are RHEL. :shrug:
It's amazing that Server Core still can't function properly without a GUI though.

Is there any meaningful reason to run Core? Never really understood exactly what MS meant by "reduced attack surface". How much malware relies on exploiting features of the GUI? Or are they suggesting that an attacker who gains access to a server might be stopped because they don't know powershell?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

klosterdev posted:

Is there any meaningful reason to run Core? Never really understood exactly what MS meant by "reduced attack surface". How much malware relies on exploiting features of the GUI? Or are they suggesting that an attacker who gains access to a server might be stopped because they don't know powershell?

I mean admittedly I don't know powershell

MF_James
May 8, 2008

klosterdev posted:

Core also runs with less services so you need less resources.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

5er posted:

All my rich-assed tenured faculty members babbling back and forth today about their Labor Day weekend excursions, which is well and good and expected, but I wish they'd just give up on ever asking me if I did anything interesting during vacation periods. I always can't really go anywhere nice because I have a break-even budget right now, which I am delicately but comfortably maintaining.

It's not being asked that bothers me so much, or having to say, quite regularly that I can't afford to go places, so we just have a nice staycation as per norm. I'm not embarrassed with my situation, and I've got the best prospects ever at improving things over the next year or two.

It's the reliability of every richy-rich-assed faculty member telling me I should consider getting help with my budget, it's just budgeting, have you considered putting yourself/family on a budget, that is putting me ever so close to grabbing the nearest keyboard and practicing some amateur dentistry on a motherfucker.

They never considered you might be saving, or frugal, or investing aggressively, or just don't care to travel? They just thought because you don't go places that means you're poor? gently caress those people, that's a pain.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

cage-free egghead posted:

They never considered you might be saving, or frugal, or investing aggressively, or just don't care to travel? They just thought because you don't go places that means you're poor? gently caress those people, that's a pain.

It's more that they think I spend money on stupid poo poo. Like I should not ever buy a coffee from anywhere, or always brown-bag my lunch, or never ever buy another video game until I'm able to spend a week in the loving Bahamas or something. More or less they figure I could just absolutely forsake all luxuries in my life, in order to afford different luxuries they approve more of.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Hey, Third Level Analysts -

You ARE allowed to interact directly with the user.

Do not Skype/Team chat/Email me saying "Adjusted something, have user try this".

I sent you the ticket 4 hours ago. Do you think I have been sitting at the users desk, holding her hand and comforting her until you get back with me?

See that section at the top of the ticket labeled Contact Info? The one with the phone number and email address of the user?

Call/Skype/Team chat/Email the user. Ask them to try whatever it is you want them to try.

Oh, and while you are looking at the ticket, how about you read the actual notes to see what troubleshooting I did? You know, instead of Skype/Team chat/Emailing me to ask "Did you try (this simple troubleshooting step as outlined in the Knowledge Doc (which is also linked to the ticket))?"

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Fool posted:

Let me know when this changes.
I suppose it's my fault for being a windows admin, but still.

I've never been able to use Core for anything but DCs... Anything else we use Windows servers for requires the GUI components.

We also use a "management box". A Windows VM that we RDP into for management of AD, WSUS, PDQ Deploy, etc... In lieu of using RSAT on local workstations.

RSAT also seems to have problems with certain operations. In particular Print Management. We still have to RDP directly into terminal servers in our TS farm because certain operations in Print Management won't work remotely, they error out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stevewm posted:

I've never been able to use Core for anything but DCs... Anything else we use Windows servers for requires the GUI components.

We also use a "management box". A Windows VM that we RDP into for management of AD, WSUS, PDQ Deploy, etc... In lieu of using RSAT on local workstations.

RSAT also seems to have problems with certain operations. In particular Print Management. We still have to RDP directly into terminal servers in our TS farm because certain operations in Print Management won't work remotely, they error out.

:same:

Microsoft has really screwed up on making so many services require the gui.