Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I really loved The Dead Don't Die, although I suspect a lot of Bill Murray and/or zombie movie fans will go see it who have never seen a Jim Jarmusch movie and find it a little laconic and slow.

Anyway, most of it is far from subtle, and very meta but Tilda Swinton's character drops a meta meta hint about why she's there. Adam Driver isn't the only one who's read the script. She tells him earlier when they leave her at the police station that she will "see them at the cemetery" and yet when Driver sees the UFO he says "That was unexpected." Anyway her alien was only there because she likes Earth's genre movies.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

oldpainless posted:

Off the top of my head, the only show that never decreased in quality as it went on is Friends
30Rock.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zedd posted:

30Rock.

:emptyquote:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Zedd posted:

30Rock.

V true

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Off the top of my head, the only show that never decreased in quality as it went on is Friends

Eastbound and Down.

Possibly Justified.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Kids in the Hall started strong and ended stronger*. Not even Monty Python accomplished that, with the crappy fourth season without Cleese.

Edit: also Blackadder. Farscape. Veep. Firefly. And stuff it, guy who is rushing to his keyboard to say it was never good.

*Death Comes to Town and Brain Candy don't count.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Sep 4, 2019

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's impressive how Veep got better even after they changed show runners and 2016 happened.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have consistently laughed and cringed appropriately at Always Sunny for its entire run.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Real Sex
The McLaughlin Group
Hoarders

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I really don't like black adder

Like, I can see the jokes, I can see the humor and talent and the all star cast in their prime. But dang it just don't make me laugh.

A bit of get and Laurie though, and I'm in stitches

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thinking Veep got better after Iannucci left is absolute lunacy

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

pentyne posted:

Possibly Justified.

The main problem is that season 2 set an incredibly high bar which was never really exceeded by the rest of the seasons. And honestly the fifth season was the weakest of them all. I still love the show though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Blackadder managed to keep it's quality up by having entirely new settings to set it's stories in for each series. This helped it, and it's writers/actors avoid burnout and stretching single ideas too thin.

It is also helped by the way that Rowan Atkinson, and the rest of the main cast play each version of their characters ever so slightly differently in each time period. So combine that with the time/setting changes it's not one long show, but a series of related shorter series'.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Imagined posted:

Kids in the Hall started strong and ended stronger*. Not even Monty Python accomplished that, with the crappy fourth season without Cleese.

Edit: also Blackadder. Farscape. Veep. Firefly. And stuff it, guy who is rushing to his keyboard to say it was never good.

*Death Comes to Town and Brain Candy don't count.

Brain Candy rules.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I DON'T THINK I WILL 'gently caress STUMMIES', BRAD

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its a video game not a movie but like

i love that the gnome in left 4 dead 2 is named "gnome chomsky"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BrigadierSensible posted:

Blackadder managed to keep it's quality up by having entirely new settings to set it's stories in for each series. This helped it, and it's writers/actors avoid burnout and stretching single ideas too thin.

It is also helped by the way that Rowan Atkinson, and the rest of the main cast play each version of their characters ever so slightly differently in each time period. So combine that with the time/setting changes it's not one long show, but a series of related shorter series'.

And it ends marvelously.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Kanine posted:

its a video game not a movie but like

i love that the gnome in left 4 dead 2 is named "gnome chomsky"

Currently playing the outer wilds and it does this thing where the elements of the theme song are spread out between different characters in different locales/planets.

So when you walk past one npc they are playing a simple banjo tune, or a flute, or some bongos

And your player character has a device that can hear across the expanses(it is set in a small scale solar system) between the NPCs.

Given that the game is in space and does its best to model orbits and gravity, occasionally NPCs are in line with each other and you get to hear the full theme song by virtue of orbital mechanics, it sort of fades in and out in this really poignant way

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jestery posted:

Currently playing the outer wilds and it does this thing where the elements of the theme song are spread out between different characters in different locales/planets.

So when you walk past one npc they are playing a simple banjo tune, or a flute, or some bongos

And your player character has a device that can hear across the expanses(it is set in a small scale solar system) between the NPCs.

Given that the game is in space and does its best to model orbits and gravity, occasionally NPCs are in line with each other and you get to hear the full theme song by virtue of orbital mechanics, it sort of fades in and out in this really poignant way

I noticed this when I accidentally followed the thing that shoots out of the orbital cannon outside of the solar system

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thinking Veep got better after Iannucci left is absolute lunacy

I think 5 is probably my favourite, but 6-7 are definitely the worst.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With the sole exception of the "more _____ than a _____ which is _____" joke. They loved that joke in the scripting sessions and kept one-upping each other with it and it's fun for a while but they take it way past its lifespan.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jestery posted:

There's a really awesome mission in breath of the wild where you are tasked with building a small town, then finding people to populate it. You end up traveling the world, finding people who are lost or unhappy in their current homes, and convincing them to move. The music, though, is really well done. When you first visit the spot for the town it's silent, with a tiny hint of a beat. As you build the town and full it with people, different instruments and choruses join in (appropriate to the person just added), fleshing out the tune. Eventually, when it's full, you have a vibrant town with music to match. It's really subtle, considering how long it takes you to find everyone and build everything, but if you're paying attention it's really cool.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

iajanus posted:

There's a really awesome mission in breath of the wild where you are tasked with building a small town, then finding people to populate it. You end up traveling the world, finding people who are lost or unhappy in their current homes, and convincing them to move. The music, though, is really well done. When you first visit the spot for the town it's silent, with a tiny hint of a beat. As you build the town and full it with people, different instruments and choruses join in (appropriate to the person just added), fleshing out the tune. Eventually, when it's full, you have a vibrant town with music to match. It's really subtle, considering how long it takes you to find everyone and build everything, but if you're paying attention it's really cool.

Kass' accordion and the stable ocarina theme also overlay wonderfully when he's standing close enough to hear! That loving game, man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not sure how subtle this actually is, but I only noticed it on a rewatch, so I'm counting it.

One of the early jokes in Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus is Dib, when trying to explain how he wants to get his father's approval by revealing Zim's an alien, breaks into a stunningly bad impression of his father. Gaz calls it 'the worst impression ever'.

Later, when he's preparing to reveal Zim to the world, he has a brief fantasy sequence of everyone adoring him for doing it, including his father... speaking in that same terrible voice Dib used in his impression. He's not just bad at impressions; he really does think his dad sounds like that.

After that, we get full scenes with an extremely poorly-made clone of Dib's dad... and he talks like that, too.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only way that could be funnier is a surprise reveal that his dad actually does talk like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like it's that much more ridiculous than his usual manner of speaking.

Not sure if it's subtle, but I do like that Zim's plan actually (kinda) succeeds because he gives GIR an order that's just stupid enough for them to execute it flawlessly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I DON'T THINK I WILL 'gently caress STUMMIES', BRAD

CAT ON MY HEAD!

Hey... you know those 'peelz'? You know what they're made from?

I love KitH, but I think the only time I laughed out loud during Brain Candy was the 'Just a guy' part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th_N6_A4gW8

Around 3:30 here.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Sep 4, 2019

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I still quote that to this day.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

bony tony posted:

And it ends marvelously.

Well, maybe the next series can still screw it up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Mind posted:

Well, maybe the next series can still screw it up.

Back and Forth was fine as a Doctor Who parody.

Watching A Knight's Tale. All the Knights start laughing at Will's new armour because it's so small but they stop when he mounts his horse with no effort at all. Later you see knights in heavier armour struggling to get into the saddle even with their Squires pushing. Fun little sight gag.

Another fun one is when they're at Notre Dame. Jocelyn and her handmaiden dip their fingers in a bowl of holy water to annoint themselves. Will barges in and uses the bowl to slick back his hair.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Sep 5, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Eddie Murphy: Uh, I'm not sure I can throw Mike over this table myself
Director: Okay we'll get a stunt guy to do it
Eddie Murphy: But he's 3 inches taller and 75 pounds heavier than me!
Director: No one will ever notice

https://i.imgur.com/NEBTofj.mp4

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The loving guy looks like Fred Williamson.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Haha this is great

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is as good as the Star Trek HD fight scenes where it becomes incredibly obvious that William Shatner suddenly becomes a much fitter man in between close ups.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Eddie Murphy hulks out when he gets mad, returns to normal very quickly. So what?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Also it's great the way the Blackadders become less and less grandiose as they go on. The Black Adder is the son of the king. Blackadder the Second is the Queen's favoured counsellor. Blackadder the Third is the Prince Regent's butler. And the last Edmund Blackadder is an insignificant captain in a pointless war whose death was implied to end the line.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason that reminded me of the third Robocop where, after the samurai robot cuts off Murphy's arm with a sword, you can clearly see it in a black sleeve just tied behind his back throughout the rest of the scene. Like it's right loving there. I need to find a clip.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For some reason that reminded me of the third Robocop where, after the samurai robot cuts off Murphy's arm with a sword, you can clearly see it in a black sleeve just tied behind his back throughout the rest of the scene. Like it's right loving there. I need to find a clip.

Also at the end the baddie turns into a plastic statue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saLl-IdZNvU&t=62s

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
drat that was quick, thank you. And yeah, I forgot about the plastic statue.

I was about to say it's a shame that basically destroyed his career outside of being a script doctor, but then Dekker went ahead and wrote the latest Predator with Shane Black. Make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Why would you ever re-watch RoboCop 3.