Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

This is oddly fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

cyberia posted:

It's a KFC zinger pie from :australia:

I looked up what zinger pie is, but it just said its made with 'zinger' chicken and gravy.

Is that some AUS-specific name for spicy chicken? NGL, I'd probably eat a spicy chicken and gravy pie and never speak of it again.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we aren't allowed to know.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm super on board with hand-pies. I loved pot pies as a kid but they're a pain in the rear end and not enough crust usually...discovered these frozen hand pies from Australia that were on deep discount at my grocer, bought enough for like 20 dinners, and fell in love. Not sure why it's not a common thing in the states, it just fits our everything.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I looked up what zinger pie is, but it just said its made with 'zinger' chicken and gravy.

Is that some AUS-specific name for spicy chicken? NGL, I'd probably eat a spicy chicken and gravy pie and never speak of it again.

The zinger burger is a fried chicken fillet with spicy breading, the zinger pie is shredded chicken with spicy gravy.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

My mom's chicken pot pie was a flavorless, dry crust pulled over top of a square cake pan filled with canned vegetables suspended in a flavorless corn starch slurry. The chicken was the only edible part. I won't even look at pot pies now. Overall she makes wonderful meals, but her other method of ruining chicken involves mixing it with canned peas and some sort of condensed cream of whatever soup. She calls it Chicken Doo-doo.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm super on board with hand-pies. I loved pot pies as a kid but they're a pain in the rear end and not enough crust usually...discovered these frozen hand pies from Australia that were on deep discount at my grocer, bought enough for like 20 dinners, and fell in love. Not sure why it's not a common thing in the states, it just fits our everything.

You need to try a pasty if you haven't already

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

LifeSunDeath posted:

The US just consumes whatever ethnic version of hand pie they are feeling. Pastys, empanadas, pierogies (kinda closer to a dumpling), calzones, strombolis, and of course the molten lava filled Hot Pocket.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

ZombieCrew posted:

pierogies (kinda closer to a dumpling)

"Kinda"? They are straight up dumplings. Jesus tapdancing Christ I'm irrationally angry you just suggested pierogi might be pie.

:argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ZombieCrew posted:

The US just consumes whatever ethnic version of hand pie they are feeling. Pastys, empanadas, pierogies (kinda closer to a dumpling), calzones, strombolis, and of course the molten lava filled Hot Pocket.

When I was a kid, I liked when hot pockets were barely heated enough so you'd have chunks of almost melted cheese

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

d3lness posted:

"Kinda"? They are straight up dumplings. Jesus tapdancing Christ I'm irrationally angry you just suggested pierogi might be pie.

pie-rogi. it's right there in the name.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

uber_stoat posted:

You make my Polish blood boil.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zaurg taco. the one day a month he will afford cheese

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Not sure what's so wrong about keeping your tiny pastries safe and secure

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gross, "chunk light" tuna

Solid albacore or nothing

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

d3lness posted:

Yeah, you are right, but I was also thinking of the massive ones I've seen at a few restaurants.

uber_stoat posted:

Pierog translates as Pie in slavic languages.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

Not sure what's so wrong about keeping your tiny pastries safe and secure

Where's the tails tho

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

we aren't allowed to know.

drat, so terrifying that South Australia banned it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Top row. L to R: chicken noodle, minestrone, split pea, dunno
Bottom row. L to R: tomato soup, clam chowder, dunno, tomato with rice.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

ZombieCrew posted:

Don't forget pizza rolls.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Iron Crowned posted:

I really can't figure out what this is supposed to be

Lot of people in this thread apparently never seen a pie before. :stare:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tiggum posted:

Lot of people in this thread apparently never seen a pie before. :stare:

Is it some sort of large pastry?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Rafflesia is a genus of parasitic flowering plants. It contains approximately 28 species (including four incompletely characterized species as recognized by Willem Meijer in 1997), all found in Southeast Asia, mainly in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines. It was first discovered by Louis Deschamps in Java between 1791 and 1794, but his notes and illustrations, seized by the British in 1803, were not available to western science until 1861. It was later found in the Indonesian rainforest in Bengkulu, Sumatra by an Indonesian guide working for Joseph Arnold in 1818, and named after Sir Stamford Raffles, the leader of the expedition.

The plant has no stems, leaves or roots. It is a holoparasite of vines in the genus Tetrastigma (Vitaceae), spreading its absorptive organ, the haustorium, inside the tissue of the vine.[1] The only part of the plant that can be seen outside the host vine is the five-petalled flower. In some species, such as Rafflesia arnoldii, the flower may be over 100 centimetres (39 in) in diameter, and weigh up to 10 kilograms (22 lb). Even one of the smallest species, R. baletei, has 12 cm diameter flowers.

The flowers look and smell like rotting flesh, hence its local names which translate to "corpse flower" or "meat flower" (see below). The foul odor attracts insects such as flies, which transport pollen from male to female flowers. Most species have separate male and female flowers, but a few have hermaphroditic flowers. Little is known about seed dispersal. However, tree shrews and other forest mammals eat the fruits and disperse the seeds.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Rafflesia is a genus of parasitic flowering plants. It contains approximately 28 species (including four incompletely characterized species as recognized by Willem Meijer in 1997), all found in Southeast Asia, mainly in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines. It was first discovered by Louis Deschamps in Java between 1791 and 1794, but his notes and illustrations, seized by the British in 1803, were not available to western science until 1861. It was later found in the Indonesian rainforest in Bengkulu, Sumatra by an Indonesian guide working for Joseph Arnold in 1818, and named after Sir Stamford Raffles, the leader of the expedition.

The plant has no stems, leaves or roots. It is a holoparasite of vines in the genus Tetrastigma (Vitaceae), spreading its absorptive organ, the haustorium, inside the tissue of the vine.[1] The only part of the plant that can be seen outside the host vine is the five-petalled flower. In some species, such as Rafflesia arnoldii, the flower may be over 100 centimetres (39 in) in diameter, and weigh up to 10 kilograms (22 lb). Even one of the smallest species, R. baletei, has 12 cm diameter flowers.

The flowers look and smell like rotting flesh, hence its local names which translate to "corpse flower" or "meat flower" (see below). The foul odor attracts insects such as flies, which transport pollen from male to female flowers. Most species have separate male and female flowers, but a few have hermaphroditic flowers. Little is known about seed dispersal. However, tree shrews and other forest mammals eat the fruits and disperse the seeds.

I've always wanted to see a corpse flower when it blooms. There's one at UC Davis, about 45 minutes from me, but they rarely bloom.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

was gonna say at least they put a metal insert in there to keep things clean, then I saw the sweaty lid

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

the cat litterbox cake is an extremely pro move for halloween parties

go to the dollar store or walmart or whatever and buy a plastic litterbox and poop scooper, wash and dry

make the litterbox cake with crumb topping, serve in the litter box w/ melted tootsie roll poops

it costs about the same as ordering a pizza and drunk halloween adults love it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

protip: serve on the floor next to the actual cat litter box

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

WITCHCRAFT posted:

the cat litterbox cake is an extremely pro move for halloween parties

go to the dollar store or walmart or whatever and buy a plastic litterbox and poop scooper, wash and dry

make the litterbox cake with crumb topping, serve in the litter box w/ melted tootsie roll poops

it costs about the same as ordering a pizza and drunk halloween adults love it

back when i was working as a typesetter at a graphic design place, there was an inside joke about one of the ladies there and how she liked to eat poo poo. she was in on the joke and would joke about it too. for her birthday we did exactly this. she loved it, took pics and put them on her myspace (it was years ago)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Zipperelli. posted:

Top row. L to R: chicken noodle, minestrone, split pea, dunno
Bottom row. L to R: tomato soup, clam chowder, dunno, tomato with rice.

The one you labeled minestrone is actually some spaghettios abomination. The top unknown is just beef broth and the bottom unknown is your minestrone.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see...

A pair of olives will suffice

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I see nothing wrong with this

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:snoo:

I hate the long pineapples in the background more

Randaconda