Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pinky Artichoke posted:

100% of the proceeds to Moms Demand Action and March for Our Lives.

Clearly he's a literal monster for this.

He's still using a tragedy to promote his campaign by turning a moment of seemingly genuine humanity into a tshirt catchphrase. Conveniently paired with his name.

Ultimately it just validates everyone who saw that moment for the hollow, calculated attention grab that it was.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Turning a response to a tragedy into a commodity to be bought and sold is the height of neoliberalism so it's not surprising, but it is emblematic of the mindset that got us to where we're at today

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also it’s an incredible indictment against House Democrats like Beto. What’s Beto’s call to action as he runs to be our leader? “poo poo is hosed man.”

That’s a call to inaction if I’ve ever heard one. Right up there with “things won’t change” Biden.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

Also it’s an incredible indictment against House Democrats like Beto. What’s Beto’s call to action as he runs to be our leader? “poo poo is hosed man.”

That’s a call to inaction if I’ve ever heard one. Right up there with “things won’t change” Biden.

A Gen Xer channeling the Millennial zeitgeist. I’d almost respect it except the gimmick leftist gamer account running for President is on basically the same wavelength and is way funnier than Beto is.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Manchin isn't giving up his senate seat to run for governor, which is a shame because I really wanted to see Richard Ojeda run for it instead. We don't have any primary polls for that state regarding the democratic primary but Ojeda is going to primary him regardless so maybe something will come out of that. It's probably for the best that Ojeda gave up his brief and pointless presidential run to do this instead because it'll probably have more of an impact than his run did.

I'll admit this is kinda borderline in terms of what the thread is about but it's still about an upcoming national primary (or at least will be about one in a few months).

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 3, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

overmind2000 posted:

Manchin isn't giving up his senate seat to run for governor, which is a shame because I really wanted to see Richard Ojeda run for it instead. We don't have any primary polls for that state regarding the democratic primary but Ojeda is going to primary him regardless so maybe something will come out of that. It's probably for the best that Ojeda gave up his brief and pointless presidential run to do this instead because it'll probably have more of an impact than his run did.

I'll admit this is kinda borderline in terms of what the thread is about but it's still about an upcoming national primary (or at least will be about one in a few months).

Manchin just won in 18. He's not up till 2024.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1168932416540557316

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

mcmagic posted:

Manchin just won in 18. He's not up till 2024.

Ah, sorry. I'm quite tired and got the dates jumbled up in my head. He would have had to leave the senate now to run for the governor's seat in 2020.

On that note I'm surprised Manchin hasn't made a run for president this cycle, he'd probably do better than the 10 lowest polling candidates.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 3, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pinky Artichoke posted:

100% of the proceeds to Moms Demand Action and March for Our Lives.

Clearly he's a literal monster for this.

The Beto defender has logged on

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

overmind2000 posted:

Ah, sorry. I'm quite tired and got the dates jumbled up in my head. He would have had to leave the senate now to run for the governor's seat in 2020.

On that note I'm surprised Manchin hasn't made a run for president this cycle, he'd probably do better than the 10 lowest polling candidates.

He would not have given up his seat and would have been able to appoint his own replacement.

The other Senate seat is up and it's currently held by a Republican so Ojeda should make the longshot for that one.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

overmind2000 posted:

Why do you prefer Ojeda to Manchin? As far as I am tell they both suck but at least Manchin didn’t vote for Trump.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ogmius815 posted:

Why do you prefer Ojeda to Manchin? As far as I am tell they both suck but at least Manchin didn’t vote for Trump.

Ojeda was literally the only person I could think of in terms of either successfully primarying Manchin or capturing the seat in his absence. That might speak more to the relative lack of visibility nationwide for West Virginia democrats, though, than them not having better candidates to run. I'd support anyone with a better record than Ojeda but I can't think of anyone else running right now.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

overmind2000 posted:

Ojeda was literally the only person I could think of in terms of either successfully primarying Manchin or capturing the seat in his absence. That might speak more to the relative lack of visibility nationwide for West Virginia democrats, though, than them not having better candidates to run. I'd support anyone with a better record than Ojeda but I can't think of anyone else running right now.

Manchin had a progressive primary challenger who did ok but it’s WV so who knows how she’d do statewide

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

goethe.cx posted:

Manchin had a progressive primary challenger who did ok but it’s WV so who knows how she’d do statewide
She's running in the Democratic primary for the 2020 Senate election against incumbent Capito.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

No he just votes for GOP bills and to confirm whichever nazi gently caress Trump wants confirmed, but obviously that is a lesser crime than casting a vote for Trump in a state he was always going to win.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Unoriginal Name posted:

gently caress insurance companies. They are leeches on the American people, thriving on the fear of pain and death. Hang every executive from a loving lamppost so that no one tries to monetize suffering ever again.

they are pretty much an economic burden and people are baffled that we save trillions of dollars on universal healthcare, and that is one of the primary reasons why.

removing them from the equation means people have spending power, number go up bing bong so simple

Cerebral Bore posted:

No he just votes for GOP bills and to confirm whichever nazi gently caress Trump wants confirmed, but obviously that is a lesser crime than casting a vote for Trump in a state he was always going to win.

joe machin should just lose on the basis that he's a massive whiny self-entitled prick getting frustrated at ineffectual government :ironicat:

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 3, 2019

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Not sure a guy who, when actually given a position to prove himself in government, decides to needlessly quit in order to make a vanity run for president that he suspends around two weeks later, allowing the governor to fill his seat with a lobbyist, is deserving of any time of day for future political bids.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah that's a much bigger indictment of Ojeda than the reflexive "but Trump voter" poo poo that pays no mind to Manchin's wretched career.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I came back from my long weekend to see this loving mush brain babbling again and leading by 20 points in the polls still LOL

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-ove...-alternative-a/

Okay can we talk about Warren and her "No-First-Use" nuclear weapons position? I get it that No-First-Use makes sense from a risk reduction in deterrence perspective but what about No-First-Use if one of our allies gets attacked in an existential way (nuclear or conventional?) Then having that First-Use capability in our backpocket could change the calculus of the belligerent.

This is one area where I can't stand with Warren despite how sensible her other policies are (yes even her "access to healthcare vs. healthcare" dodge).

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

People who think Ojeda would be a good replacement for Manchin must come from the same smoothbrain planet as the people who wanted Tim Ryan to replace Nancy Pelosi

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

People who think Ojeda would be a good replacement for Manchin must come from the same smoothbrain planet as the people who wanted Tim Ryan to replace Nancy Pelosi

I can't imagine anyone who runs with a D next to their name being worse than Manchin.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Howard Phillips posted:

Okay can we talk about Warren and her "No-First-Use" nuclear weapons position? I get it that No-First-Use makes sense from a risk reduction in deterrence perspective but what about No-First-Use if one of our allies gets attacked in an existential way (nuclear or conventional?) Then having that First-Use capability in our backpocket could change the calculus of the belligerent.

This is one area where I can't stand with Warren despite how sensible her other policies are (yes even her "access to healthcare vs. healthcare" dodge).

If our allies were attacked with Nukes, that meets the "we didn't use them first" metric I thought. If the attack was conventional, you really want to escalate to nuclear retaliation? Maybe the problem here isn't Elizabeth Warren's policy.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Howard Phillips posted:

No first use is longstanding policy, it just isn't law (and should be.) Anyone advocating for first use of nuclear weapons is a sociopath.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Howard Phillips posted:

I appreciate her political drive to kill the poor but cannot abide her absent thirst for annihilation

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all of our nuclear weapons should be destroyed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

mcmagic posted:

I came back from my long weekend to see this loving mush brain babbling again and leading by 20 points in the polls still LOL

‘Help! Help! Who Am I? Where Am I? Who Are You People?’ Says Biden In Embarrassing Campaign Gaffe

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think we should be careful here not to just ask the monkey paw to destroy all the nukes though.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

If elected I will shoot half our nuclear weapons at the other half of our nuclear weapons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

Blowing up the world is bad.

I can't believe I have to say this.

E: "But we won't really blow up the world, we'll just say we would in order to make other countries do what we want"
Madman Theory doesn't work. They will know it's a bluff and they won't do what we want, then what.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 4, 2019

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I would highly recommend "The Doomsday Machine" by Daniel Ellsberg if you want to see why "no-first-use" is the only sane policy

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Nukes don't really accomplish anything in war that conventional bombs won't unless targeting population centers, and I'm ok with candidates not wanting to kill more civilians. Even Trump mildly knows this with his "I could win the war tomorrow if I kill 10 million Afghans" bit.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The US does not have a NFU policy. The only countries that do are China and India. The USSR also had a NFU policy for about a decade or so.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
NFU seems obvious at first glance but once you start digging into the brinkmanship and deterrence calculations you quickly start to untangle why it's so complex.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Howard Phillips posted:

NFU seems obvious at first glance but once you start digging into the brinkmanship and deterrence calculations you quickly start to untangle why it's so complex.

right please studiously detail why it's very important to our strategic interests to murder millions upon millions of people without a provocation in kind

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Howard Phillips posted:

Not really, no. "Don't be the first ones to use a nuke" sounds like an extremely straightforward position with, as far as I can tell, no downsides whatsoever.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

A big flaming stink posted:

right please studiously detail why it's very important to our strategic interests to murder millions upon millions of people without a provocation in kind

It's not that. Honoring a NFU for a superpower like the US means a couple of things. Ceding a fuckton of geopolitical power/pressure, abandoning allies that are relying on your defensive umbrella to not pursue nuclear deterrence themselves (see Japan or South Korea for example), and changing your posture and weapon development so that they accomodate said NFU. For example, getting rid of low yield warheads, tactical weapons etc.

NFU though is the only way forward for humanity getting rid of nuclear weapons, eventually. If the US can deal with the fact that it is not and should not be the "worlds police", adopting a NFU policy would be extremely good for the future of this gay world.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dante80 posted:

It's not that. Honoring a NFU for a superpower like the US means a couple of things. Ceding a fuckton of geopolitical power/pressure, abandoning allies that are relying on your defensive umbrella to not pursue nuclear deterrence themselves (see Japan or South Korea for example), and changing your posture and weapon development so that they accomodate said NFU. For example, getting rid of low yield warheads, tactical weapons etc.

"No First Use" doctrine doesn't preclude the use of nukes if a US ally is nuked. If Russia decides to nuke, I dunno, Belgium, nuking Russia wouldn't violate No First Use.

A lot of what it comes down to involves size and strength of conventional forces. Brezhnev was willing to declare a NFU policy for the Soviet Union for the same reason that the US wasn't....the size of the Warsaw Pact armies was substantially greater than that of NATO. So if it came to WWIII and a war in Europe, the Soviets were fine with relying on conventional army strength, while the US wanted an ace in the hole in case it was overwhelmed.

Here's a good article by Nina Tannenwald at Brown about why it makes sense for the US to now adopt a no first use policy.

https://tnsr.org/roundtable/its-time-for-a-u-s-no-first-use-nuclear-policy/

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

So because this is the Onion, that means this will literally happen in the next 6 months or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A big flaming stink posted:

You wouldn't start a war with a country that doesn't have a nfu policy. Because they might nuke you for just losing a conventional war. MAD truly is.