Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i grew up reading domiac deagan and el goonish shibe

T-man fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The weird thing is that I've heard far more stories of Alamo's policy being dumb bullshit that they never enforce even against genuinely disruptive people. Like, ushers ignoring a person who loudly talked on their phone for a good chunk of the movie.

Yeah, I admit I've never seen it enforced. I just got worried that my loud queso chip crunching during Midsommar was gonna get me ratted out. I can't help it that the chips are so dry and the theater is so quiet!!!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I read doonesbury which I suspect now is the comic equivalent of the west wing but I refuse to go back and have that confirmed

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Power Walrus posted:

Yeah, I admit I've never seen it enforced. I just got worried that my loud queso chip crunching during Midsommar was gonna get me ratted out. I can't help it that the chips are so dry and the theater is so quiet!!!

nah food is implicitly exempt. it'd be impossible to get/finish most things by the time the movie starts even if you got there 30 mins early, anyway

just chew with your mouth closed!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Virgil mentioned Crusader Kings and I turned into the glowing eyes meme.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yorkinshire posted:

I've never heard an audience member say anything that enhanced my movie watching experience.

Midnight snakes on a plane was beautiful when everyone screamed out the line.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

What kind of absolute loser read Garfield as a child. I had all of the Calvin and Hobbes books, which I read many times. I revisited them as an adult a couple years back, expecting to be disappointed at how they were actually bad, only to find that they were actually genuinely good. As far as I'm aware, Calvin and Hobbes was the only actually-funny newspaper comic to ever exist.

I had those too, calm down lol I was a child

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I agree 100% with Virgil, all the theaters in my town have been Alamoizing and sitting in one of those fancy chairs that's basically a top of the line la-z-boy but with a swivel table to hold all your snacks made me feel a deep sympathy with Osama Bin Laden. Like, I'm not asking for all theaters to have hard pews where you can only have water, but there's a level of decadence and luxury where it just feels crass. Just a regular style seat and an affordable beer is all you need.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure why it annoys me so much but I don't like that every theater around me is moving to assigned seating. It seems too formal.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I Before E posted:

I agree 100% with Virgil, all the theaters in my town have been Alamoizing and sitting in one of those fancy chairs that's basically a top of the line la-z-boy but with a swivel table to hold all your snacks made me feel a deep sympathy with Osama Bin Laden. Like, I'm not asking for all theaters to have hard pews where you can only have water, but there's a level of decadence and luxury where it just feels crass. Just a regular style seat and an affordable beer is all you need.

Well it’s stupid because theaters are just trying to save themselves because the future of watching movies is in a living room. 4K tv’s are cheaper than ever. Sound bars give you decent sound. And you can sit in your own couch and smoke weed while you watch a movie with your friends. What makes it stupid is instead of thinking of a new experience to offer your audience they’re just trying to simulate your living room.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm not sure why it annoys me so much but I don't like that every theater around me is moving to assigned seating. It seems too formal.

agreed, the best part of the move theatre experience is choosing who shall be most exposed to my popcorn farts

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

I hate assigned seating so much, you can never get a good sense from the diagram of where the actual good seats are

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1168885628165115905?s=21

Haven’t read this yet but the title’s got me laughing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Kingfish posted:

Haven’t read this yet but the title’s got me laughing.

he manages to work in a swipe at Bernie in it

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I'm also a big baby who goes into public spaces and demands that every one else caters to my needs. Here is an Oatmeal comic that perfectly explains how movie theaters should work:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

Imagine being unable to differentiate between laughing or gasps and people having conversations or heckling.

Yeah, people being actively involved in the movie is great, and there's something genuinely special about experiencing a movie with a room full of people as excited about and invested in it as you are. A great comedy is even better when everyone's laughing around you. I was lucky enough to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood opening weekend with a fantastic crowd, and the build-up and release of tension in that final scene was totally thrilling to be a part of.

That's not what the Alamo policy is trying to stop; that's for people using their phones on full brightness, and chatting amongst them selves, and making stupid jokes at the screen that nobody else wants to hear. I don't think it's at all elitist to set a standard of behavior as basic as "don't act in a way that ruins everyone else's good time." If someone really can't bring themselves to shut up for a two-hour movie, they can save themselves $15 and wait for streaming.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah, people being actively involved in the movie is great, and there's something genuinely special about experiencing a movie with a room full of people as excited about and invested in it as you are. A great comedy is even better when everyone's laughing around you. I was lucky enough to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood opening weekend with a fantastic crowd, and the build-up and release of tension in that final scene was totally thrilling to be a part of.

That's not what the Alamo policy is trying to stop; that's for people using their phones on full brightness, and chatting amongst them selves, and making stupid jokes at the screen that nobody else wants to hear. I don't think it's at all elitist to set a standard of behavior as basic as "don't act in a way that ruins everyone else's good time." If someone really can't bring themselves to shut up for a two-hour movie, they can save themselves $15 and wait for streaming.

"I want to be a part of a collective experience but also I want everyone else to be quiet and not hoot and holler at the screen."

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

When I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (i'm cancelled) I was near an older couple. When the name "Squeaky" was first spoken the guy leans to his wife and literally says "Squeaky FROMME". I actually saw a "that's Chappie" IRL.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Team_q posted:

I'm also a big baby who goes into public spaces and demands that every one else caters to my needs. Here is an Oatmeal comic that perfectly explains how movie theaters should work:

:qq:

^^this is you bitch

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I like the recliners because of my arthritis. My knees lock up by the time a movie is over in a regular seat.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The recliners rule. I just get really stoned and lay back in the chair.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I can't remember the last time I saw a movie where someone in the theater said anything audible or even had their phone go off during the movie and my theater has a full bar and tacos.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

420 Gank Mid posted:

"I want to be a part of a collective experience but also I want everyone else to be quiet and not hoot and holler at the screen."

I know you weren't at the same screening of OUATIH I was, but I can assure you that was not quiet. It's almost like you're ignoring what I'm actually saying in order to be disingenuous!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I know you weren't at the same screening of OUATIH I was, but I can assure you that was not quiet. It's almost like you're ignoring what I'm actually saying in order to be disingenuous!

Lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The last time I went to the movies alone a guy sat down in the front row in an almost empty theater wearing one of those stupid neck bluetooth phone mic things and took 2 business calls screaming to be heard over the movie the whole time.

What I'm saying is the Alamo rules dont go far enough I need a full seal team 6 to rush in and kill that man and probably me in the process

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

movie theatre anarchy is the only acceptable condition, no gods no masters drink vodka and laugh at bad movies

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The french watch movies the right way which is to sit in contemplative silence and then take the people who talked outside afterwards and beat them to death in the street

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

I had those too, calm down lol I was a child

Just like how having a black friend does not absolve a person of using racial slurs, having Calvin and Hobbes books does not absolve someone of having Garfield books.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if your preferred viewing experience doesn't closely resemble the movie theater scene from Gremlins I don't know what to tell you.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Matt, Virgil, and Felix are the goat lineup.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

When I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (i'm cancelled) I was near an older couple. When the name "Squeaky" was first spoken the guy leans to his wife and literally says "Squeaky FROMME". I actually saw a "that's Chappie" IRL.

The last time I went to a movie theater in the US was to see Straight Out of Compton. The theater had those recliners and it was whatever. I can take or leave them. Anyway at the end of the movie, Dr. Dre says how he’s going to start a record label and walks away, the opposite character says “Oh yeah? What’re you going to call it?” At that moment a guy behind me says “DEATH ROW.” Thanks dude.

Japanese movie goers generally don’t talk which is cool. They always stay until the end of the credits no matter what the movie is, though, which is weird.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

if your preferred viewing experience doesn't closely resemble the movie theater scene from Gremlins I don't know what to tell you.

alamo rules but it's the hulkster confronting the offenders

Dr.Radical posted:

Japanese movie goers generally don’t talk which is cool. They always stay until the end of the credits no matter what the movie is, though, which is weird.

it is considered honorable to stick around and find out who the best boy and key grip were in order to praise or condemn their performance

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 4, 2019

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
lol if you go to see films in theatres and haven't spent so much on a big rear end OLED that you feel compelled to watch everything on it to feel that you haven't wasted your money. Just lol.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
You can whisper to the people sitting next to you whatever who cares. But if you so much as take out your phone to put it in a different pocket everyone sitting behind you should be allowed to beat you with their fists and their feet and bite you to death.

I was watching a movie recently and a kid sitting in front of me was holding his phone throughout the entire movie. Didn't turn it on, was just holding it like a loving security blanket. He was holding a little mirror that kept bouncing reflected light into my face for an hour and a half.

[plinkett]gently caress movies[/plinkett]

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

joedevola posted:

He was holding a little mirror that kept bouncing reflected light into my face for an hour and a half.

[plinkett]gently caress movies[/plinkett]

virgin goon
chad zoomer

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I AM NOT OWNED

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wolfsheim posted:

I read doonesbury which I suspect now is the comic equivalent of the west wing but I refuse to go back and have that confirmed

It's like 50% West Wing. Maybe 75%. But there were some actual jokes in there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

people complaining that theatres are putting in better chairs is bizarre.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
excuse me, could you two stop whispering to each other? it's really ruining my enjoyment of this scene where spiderman talks about how he starts every day with a cool refreshing iced coffee from mcdonalds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1168875954028142592